Screen fighting

Will we ever see good fighting on screen again?

What is there nowadays to take the mantle of Jackie Chan and the others? The Raid guys and Donnie Yen, and that's pretty much it. Is there any hope to have real fighting in mainstream entertainment with good production values again?

And in particular, now that we are seeing more female leads, where are the ones who can really believably kick ass? I'm fine with female heroes, but I want to see real fighting, and that's just not going to happen as long as we cast anorexic superheroines.

youtube.com/watch?v=3P24dypPQHg

Note that by "REAL FIGHTING" I obviously don't mean punches actually connecting - I mean fight choreography that doesn't cheat, doesn't try to trick you with editing and CGI, that shows off the performers' skills. The wider the angle, the longer the shots, the more real skill there usually is, and the more of it you can see. The more quick cuts, the more it all smells like laziness and bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vH-8wmUVb6k
youtube.com/watch?v=ljoFzqReKdM
youtube.com/watch?v=GE1M3mS77W4
youtube.com/watch?v=jRLssPabtFE
youtube.com/watch?v=RHtpN0ypQuc
youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM
youtube.com/watch?v=YXO_L-3okKo
youtube.com/watch?v=yX7phqYE-pc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Despite how hard it gets slammed, World's End has some of the best fight choreography in a non-asian movie ever made.

>Will we ever see good fighting on screen again?
never

youtube.com/watch?v=vH-8wmUVb6k

I love the World's End, I think, whilst not being the funniest of Pegg's films, it's the most well made.
youtube.com/watch?v=ljoFzqReKdM

movies now just seem to rely upon shitty split editing and wire work.
With the rise of the gay as fuck, hug men on the floor MMA being more popular, I wouldn't be surprised if that fag shit is in every western fighting film for the next decade, or two.

More chinese stars may rise, but they never get good at acting or ever stop speaking like a gook.
Look at jet li and he has been in movies since he was a kid.

that fucking shitty editing. It would give you epilepsy.

Scott Adkins is great, the best western action hero but he's stuck doing DTV

youtube.com/watch?v=GE1M3mS77W4

when he works with good director like John Hyams and Isaac Florentine he gets shit done, dude needs to be in better movies. Would love to see him work with Gareth Evans

Statham can also definitely fight, people kinda forget that. Watch the first Transporter.

that's cuz Edgar Wright actually cares about action and he got to work with Brad Allan aka the only white guy to be part of Jackie Chan's stunt team

>Watch the first Transporter.
have you actually seen that shit, and the video you just linked.
It's just crappy editing.
a real fight scene choreographed is hard to come by, and jackie chan, and chinese kung fu films are the best at it

reminds me of a fucking music video or something.

Wright is a great visual director, and fighting has a lot in common with visual gags.

what happened to Tony Jaa? he's great but it feels like he just disappeared

I don't think MMA fighting will ever get popular in fictional entertainment, because its true draw is the blood sport aspect, and the potential for a legalized killing.

not sure what you're on about, this is a great action set piece

youtube.com/watch?v=jRLssPabtFE

i mean it's not on par with Chan but who the fuck is. Statham is great.

XXX: Return of Xander Cage, also features Donnie Yen

Which, once again, is because Neeson is an old man. The editing is trying to diminish its effects, but it can't hide it. It's the same thing, whether it's anorexic girls or geriatric men, editing becomes conspicuously shitty. Real fighting requires physicality.

And even Jackie Chan is probably too old now.

I'm not into real bloodsport.

>uses the same fighting style in every movie
>made a couple of movies where the plot is literally the same (some bad guys steal from him and he has go take it back)
I guess people just got tired of it

Jackie's too old at this point, he'd admitted it. I wish he'd just move completely into directing and quit acting. He'd have to find some younger dude and make him do the crazy shit.

Fight scenes in Daredevil are fantastic.

He actually gets beaten up, unlike other superheros which are apparently untouchable.

>not sure what you're on about
>great action set piece

are you really this retarded, can you not see there is editing every 5-7 seconds. he isn't doing one continuous shot, and being skilful at fighting, remembering the choreography, with multiple cameras that they then edit, they are cutting every 10 seconds for him to do another "move".
It is not an action sequence, it;s just editing.
it's bullshit, and trash.

look this is a decent fight scene
youtube.com/watch?v=RHtpN0ypQuc

not up to HK standards but its still pretty good.

Hey, 5-7 seconds is the best you can hope for these days. It's better than 5-7 cuts PER second at least.

>because Neeson is an old man
this and also neeson isn't a fighter at all, hes not a martial artist.
He has just been typecast as a tough action guy in the late of his career, after taken.

like that taken 3 scene
it's cringeworthy.

I haven't actually seen the show but someone posted webms from Into The Badlands and the fight scenes actually look incredibly well choreographed and edited.

I hear the rest of it is absolute shit though.

Or they could just use a stunt double for the more physical demanding shots instead of making something like this

youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

Scott Adkins is one of my favorite current Western martial artists at the moment.

youtube.com/watch?v=YXO_L-3okKo

post the entire scene. It's amazing how many cuts they can fit into 2 minutes.

I think the director actively hates his audience and did it on purpose.

>instead of making something like this

Not that it's a good example of realistic fighting but, I just watched goldfinger again the other day and I realized how realistic the fight scenes are compared to modern movies. Modern movies are way too choreographed, perfect fights literally never happen in real life. people are usually fumbling all over the place, even mma fighters.

This doesn't relate to martial arts much I guess.

no good directors who are willing to invest in a decent action choreography team and/or just unwilling to give up creative control to action director who can do it properly. no stars who have enough stunt training to pull it off.

pic related, last good western directors who successfully made a good martial arts movie.

>Will we ever see good fighting on screen again?
youtube.com/watch?v=yX7phqYE-pc