Why is unimpressive CGI so expensive?

Why is unimpressive CGI so expensive?

Because you have to pay people to do it. It is a large sum often worked out in advance between studio and effects house. The effects guys need to deliver it and often that initial sun, whilst a shitload larger than it would have cost for practical effects, will not cover overtime etc so the staff work longer hours, often for no extra pay and generally just half as it to get it completed by deadline.

Looks alright to me.

>Taking a screenshot of an action sequence
KEK

I think fantasy and super hero films have a problem with CGI as they are forced to do things that we know aren't real.

Even if it's just subconscious ("you may not have noticed, but your brain did"), we know there aren't Chitauri or dragons and people with eye-lasers and such, so I'm not sure it can ever really "look right".

CGI almost always looks better when used in a way that our minds can accept. Like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, it is on the edge of believable for us so it just works better.

I blame Joss Whedon, dude makes everything look cheap

Except when he has little to no budget

>will not cover overtime etc so the staff work longer hours, often for no extra pay
Honestly I'm surprised this is a thing. I read once the reason why CG artists put up with it is because they're nerds who want to work on CG really bad and they threw all their money and education into this job.

2005 Xbox 360 game graphics

reminder that producers wanted cgi for the The Thing remake and ditched the awesome looking real puppets cause they wanted the movie to "look like a videogame"

It's been...how many years now?

And this is still the most impressive CGI I've seen in a movie.

Because directors don't have a taste.

And it's not expensive enough.

It's only good because it's supposed to look like a slimy and shiny piece of crap. Which is what CGI does perfectly.

Starship Troopers holds up pretty well too.

what game is this

Ive never been more impressed with CGI than the recent adaptation of the Jungle Book.

Shite film, but technically spectacular

>Which NES game is this from?

I think they wanted a dead space tie in.

>MFW Deus Ex Humanity Divided looks better than this on Ultra High..
What the fuck is going on?

They should upgrade to Unreal Engine 4.

Biggest travesty in recent SFX history.
People are so used to shitty CGI that anything that looks remotely real and doesn't move with 500 hours of animating it is "GAY".
Focus groups are cancer and need to go away forever.

That's because the bugs were a mix of cgi and traditional animatronics.

Lowballing contract bids on FX companies, Irrationally long hours for the artists, studio interference and micromanagement, impossible deadlines and not enough coverage, the fact that even one 'unimpressive' shot of CG elements takes an inordinate amount of time to build, sculpt, texture, animate, render 9 passes at gigantic resolutions, and composite, color correct, post produce and tweak into oblivion. Take your pick.

Because the concept art people that work behind the looks of all of this piece of shit are uninspired artists.

I pick Richard Taylor.

How does District 9 a movie made 7 years ago on a budget of 30 million still look better than most movies today?

Director having a SFX background and knowing exactly what looks good and what doesn't.

When 50 million of your budget goes straight to Robert Downey Jr., that's what happens.

Joss and the majority of blockbuster directors looked at it and realized it made no money.

Blame the market for having the standards predicted of them in nth number of science fiction novels/movies of yesterday. Social commentary so often accurately predicts the future, it's not even unnerving anymore.

That's really the key to getting the most out of a tiny budget.

Captain America CGI war had the worst CGI, spiderman was a cgi, black panther was a cgi, iron man was a cgi, nearly all characters were shit cgi how the fuck did they get away with it

In this day and age Capeshit can do whatever they want

>We want a war with aliens in New York
>You will be working for a living wage and will be cleaning up Robert Downey Jr's scenes which is earning about 100x more than your entire company
>and you will work overtime for free or we'll replace you
>and you aren't going to be in the credits like at all
>and we'll probably kick you out after it's over
>Why don't it look good?

Because the VFX industry is fucked