I don't understand free jazz/improvisation...

i don't understand free jazz/improvisation, what's the point in listening to musicians who deliberately don't play their instruments correctly?
how do you distinguish a good free jazz album by a bad one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0WhXtkMyPHU
youtube.com/watch?v=0WhXtkMyPHU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Its meme invented by rockists

what?

Most talented jazz players hated free jazz when it first came out

>deliberately don't play their instruments correctly

prove this statement

>how do you distinguish a good free jazz album by a bad one?
by how obscure it is

The key to understanding Spiritual Unity is that it feels like it's being played backwards. Ayler's voice, to me at least, sounds like being pulled (by God).

Good free jazz has some kind of nuance. Preferably several kinds, technical ability, shape, overall contour, interplay between the musicians, all good examples of nuance.

Without nuance it's just noise.

Go back to /r/eddit so you can circle jerk about Freddie Mercury's "pipes", you mongoloid.

Wtf are you talking about? Do you even know what free jazz is?

>how do you distinguish a good free jazz album by a bad one?
by how much you enjoy it

They play their instruments correctly. Sure some of the more experimental guys will play their instruments in weird ways as well, but that's to create new sounds out of said instrument. Otherwise the appeal to free jazz and free improvisation is equivalent of serialism in art/classical music but for the realm of improvisation instead. No limits for the musician(s) at all in any way, shape or form. The way to decide between a good record or a bad record is up to what a listener prefers and how these artists implement the wide variety of options available to them.

D E E P
L I S T E N I N G
T E C H N I Q U E

youtu.be/0WhXtkMyPHU

That quoted statement describes Sup Forums to a t. Entirely concerned with image and baseless criticism.

I didnt know there was a correct way to play instruments. If thats the case then there cant be much music worth listening to

just listen to standards jazz instead, all eras

it's infinitely better

kek

>deliberately don't play their instruments correctly?

that's not even what free jazz is about wtf

/thread

i listen for interesting sounds, textures, and atmospheres, just like any other kind of music.

youtube.com/watch?v=0WhXtkMyPHU

all free jazz albums are inherently good, overall quality has a linear relationship with how long the album is

Dude Spiritual Unity is all vibes. That album takes me somewhere. It's a mood lifter. I could probably listen to it at any given time.

>that album takes me somewhere
where? the bee farm?