This album is surprisingly good

This album is surprisingly good.

What are other album that you overlooked at first due to some prejudice but turned out great given the chance?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0ad0fvaHG3g
youtu.be/gQR8OS-uLHA
youtu.be/YZ09WWMiiic
youtu.be/MSaLFdCn2Tg
youtube.com/watch?v=aw8qbAxAS_A
youtube.com/watch?v=Rk83Gu9V0kg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

6 or so years ago, I hated "post-rock" because all I heard was crescendo-core shit like mono or explosions in the sky. Then I listened to some Tortoise and realized "Hey, there's some pretty great stuff with this label."

Why is it surprising? Pleasure principle is a masterpiece, but the two prior albums were also great.

Why was it a surprise? What was the prejudice?

Right. It was surprising because I used to dismiss anything that was under the New Wave, 80s label (mostly, I really enjoy Talking Heads).
Also I didn't know he had a band before going solo, gonna check it out.

At first I dismissed Thomas Dolby as another One-Hit Wonder.
Then I heard the rest of his first album. The 2009 remaster/expanded edition is worth owning for anyone who is a fan of synthpop. youtube.com/watch?v=0ad0fvaHG3g

Why does p4k hate Gary so much? Doesn't he check enough boxes on their influential list?

Basically half of Springsteen's famous albums. Shit's actually incredible.

>I didn't know he had a band before going solo

I didn't think I liked soul music, but I guess I love it. 10/10

>dismissing new wave

Not sure what to make of that. To me it's one of the most creative periods in rock music history

You'd like early 80s new wave then. Look for albums from ~78-84 for best results

Pleasure Principle
Telekon
Replicas
The Golden Age of Wireless
Organisation (OMD)

so many to try

I've always loved Pleasure Principle. I found it in my uncle's records and have been a fan ever since.

I also really like The Shortwave Mystery.

youtu.be/gQR8OS-uLHA

youtu.be/YZ09WWMiiic

youtu.be/MSaLFdCn2Tg

Dance and Berserker are the true underrated Numan albums

Soft Cell are pretty good too
youtube.com/watch?v=aw8qbAxAS_A

Dance is pretty good, Berserker is cringe. There are a handful of good songs after 1983 but no solid albums.

halfaxa

Never heard of these guys and I'm a pretty big fan of the genre. Thanks, user.

Oh for fuck sake.....

If you like this, check out his contemporary John Foxx. Gary and him had a mutual admiration for each other. John had some wonderful, minimalist, electronic tunes that are often overlooked. Metamatic was a great album

That album is beyond words... every damn song is so good it's ridiculous

Thanks for the recs, guys

I just thought it would be too late to get into them, Like how it's edge gets softer with time.
But I found a surprisingly catchy and entertaining album.

Ops

When I was a young man, I always thought that I'd be able to wear eyeliner and regard a glowing pyramid with suspicion. Now that I'm older, I'm not so sure.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rk83Gu9V0kg

This is a really late reply, but no problem. I love that genre, and I think Signals From Afar is a masterpiece.

Hope you enjoy it.

Not that guy but Soft Cell are goat. Non stop erotic cabaret is one of the best albums ever.

Anyway, pic related for me. I fucking hated shoegaze before this album, now it's one of my all time favorites.

If you liked op you should check out pic related. GOAT new wave album