How Lin's directing style compare to Abrams'?

How Lin's directing style compare to Abrams'?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=loPkBJMZlrg
youtube.com/watch?v=3sFw5Mt70vY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

quicker and angrier

best of the new trilogy

100% less lens flare.

Not as needlessly epic as Abrams, but also not as memorable.

In the end, the writing was what made Beyond good.

I liked it, at least, the first half was very strong. It went a bit action-y after, though I quite like the comraderie (spelling correct?) element. The latter reminded me this was the guy who did F&F. Not quite sure Idris Elba was the correct choice, though he only had a small part out of makeup.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

>mfw Sabotage

I thought the writing was trash, and I unironically like both Tokyo Drift and Star Trek 1 (2 was....aight I guess).

No one arcs or reacts to the events of the story, we didn't learn anything about the characters by putting them together in different combinations, & no one has any chemistry or charisma besides Bones. Moreover, the stakes felt confusing and unconvincing.

I don't know if Lin could have saved it with his directing, but he didn't.

Oh, and the choice to build up the friendship of Spock and Kirk before the movie drained their conflict of emotional resonance. I had flashbacks to the opening scene of Star Wars Episode III.

Are you kidding me? The writing was terrible. It only succeeded in making every character one dimensional. Logic lines from Spock. "Muh dad" lines from Kirk. Warrior princess girl talking like a fucking native american or some shit.

>The music wit da beats and shouting

Absolute trash.

The seamless live action to cgi camera moves were pretty impressive, also stuff like the "gopro" shot of the Enterprise launching, Kirk getting in the escape pod and the swarm wave were very cool.

Sabotage was used perfectly. All the cry babies got BTFO.

It definitely has a lot of webm moments

youtube.com/watch?v=loPkBJMZlrg

I literally stood up and stated clapping

It could have been an ok movie if it had a plot.

It was pretty good.

>nu-male star trek

no thanks

Abrams had garbage scripts, but Lin exceeded my expectations. Amazing sense of scale, space, action. Classic feel. Best of the nu3 easily.

I don't like how the Hand to hand was shot but there was one nice panoramic long take

I liked Kirk's dad stuff, the opening scene of 2009 is one of the best scenes of the reboots. It actually gave some emotion and tied in (subtly for once) to Wrath of Khan

>Classic feel.
this

>"Muh dad" lines from Kirk.

That scene was lifted right from wrath of Khan where Kirk is depressed on his birthday.

>Damn it Jim, what the hell is the matter with you? Other people have birthdays, why are we treating yours like a funeral?

Kirk was also going though the same issues as he was in wrath of Khan while coping with a promotion which meant retiring from the enterprise.

>dude it was rehashed from another movie lmao because REFERENCES
some defense, kid. We're done here.

So salty

It was important to include it because at this point in his life Kirk had outlived his father.

They rehashed the old depressed kirk birthday scene but with different context.

Lin's directing shot for shot is so much better than diet Spielberg, it's almost ridiculous. I can't imagine how much better TFA might've been with Lin at the helm.

That being said, Beyond was ultimately a garbage film from inception. I like Pegg, but Beyond should've just been a space adventure, not a Vietnam flashback episode.

Idris Elba's character was by far one of the worst antagonists I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing in any form of media ever. His inclusion was completely unnecessary and anything related to his bullshit dragged the movie down, including the entire second act.

It opened so well, the crew getting comfy in Yorktown, but that itself was cut short. God forbid we get an extended sequence of the crew developing character by having a day off from saving every universe's mother from absolution.

The Swarm was as much of an antagonist as the film needed. They didn't need an explanation, they didn't need motivations, they just needed to be. But noooo, here's Captain PTSD to spout poorly written exposition at awkward, flow breaking moments. This ain't fuckin' Apocalypse Now, Simon.

All in all the film had 2 great scenes and some fantastic space imagery/cinematography. Kirk/Bones drinking and Sabotage.

2/10, not worth rewatching, certainly not worth the ticket price. Shit film just like the rest of them, and by that I mean every Star Trek film to date. They're trash. Hire some professionals next time.

I'd rather watch Voyager than any of the reboot films.

Did they explain how the Franklin got so far out? On the one hand, Scotty says they must have fallen through a wormhole to get so far. On the other hand, Krall seemed to genuinely expect rescue. Or is it the fourth time in a row we just have to say "the villain is really stupid/crazy."

Green Space Hand is confirmed in the ending credits.

wat

>Villain out for revenge
>Enterprise defeated in 5 seconds
>Space jumping
>Starship rising out of clouds/water

All these movies are the same.

>Some people believe that a giant green hand materialized and plucked them right out of space

>But noooo, here's Captain PTSD to spout poorly written exposition at awkward, flow breaking moments. This ain't fuckin' Apocalypse Now, Simon.

That character was loosely inspired by two different starfleet captains who went insane in TOS.

Captain Decker in the TOS episode "The doomsday machine" went insane after he lost his crew to an alien super-weapon. He was driven for revenge which eventually cost him his life.

Captain Tracey was another captain who lost his crew and "went native", seeking the secrets of the local primitive people who had a 1000 year lifespan. He went insane seeking eternal youth. There was also an alien bio-weapon that obliterated people leaving only clothing and crystal residue behind.

Who Cares. Just Turn Your Brain Off And Have Fun Fagget

These 3 minutes of Doomsday Machine has better writing that all 3 Reboot films (and you could probably throw in most of the TNG ones) combined.

youtube.com/watch?v=3sFw5Mt70vY

>wat

Green space hand from TOS. It appears in the end credits in Beyond and is referenced earlier in the film.

Loose being the operative term. I'm not a huge fan of TOS, but those two characters were easily much more preferable to the dribble we got.

They should've either actually given half a shit and written an even somewhat competent Antagonist, or they should've just left him out completely. Given the nature of Beyond, I think the latter would've worked out fine.

>It appears in the end credits in Beyond
the hell
I did not see this

Lin's directed a better Star Wars movie than Abrams.

parallel universes with similarities tho

Lin > Abrams on the Star Trek movies

Ha!
I see what you did there desu

so much bait i can taste it

Fantastic counterpoint.

JJ: Suspenseful

Lin: BORING AS FUCK THE MOVIE WAS BORING