Why is America so much better than everyone else at making great tv shows and movies...

Why is America so much better than everyone else at making great tv shows and movies? Why don't other countries have as much of a culture of decent media arts?

Just watch this short tv show intro and then show us one as good from another country.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZRPpCqXYoos

I wish everyone else would try since I'm running out of things to watch, even after trying UK, Swedish, Danish, and German tv.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f62Z8Ev9OXA
youtube.com/watch?v=0jX5Bowpwjc
vimeo.com/172374044
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ANIME

Cowboy Bebop was nice but most anime seems pretty gay.

bump

third worlders love amerithug shit
normies love amerinormie shit

its basically either mass productive normie stuff or fashionable thug stuff

if you arent interested seeing either of them america isnt a big presence in entertainment

US domestic market for entertainment is the biggest and the richest of the developed countries.

Add to that the huge cultural hegemony of the US that facilitate identification to American protagonists even for foreigners spectator and you get a cocktail where you can make a shit ton of money.

More money means more investment in Production, scenarios etc... to produce even better tv shows that will bring even more money and even more investments etc... etc... etc...

What about non-normie stuff like star trek, the twilight zone, or futurama

>huge cultural hegemony of the US that facilitate identification to American protagonists even for foreigners spectator
How did this first come about anyway?

All of those are very normie franchises

After Second World War US came with a shit ton of entertainment (Disney and others) while Europeans were basically bankrupt or did not have the financial means to compete with US studios.

Read a bit about the French cinema industry (Pathe and Gaumont) they went from leaders before the war to second tier studios after.

Then it just spread in all non gommies countries.

But French cinema was nice up to and including the 60s. Sweden's was pretty nice as well, It's afterwards that they seemed to become shit for some reason.

They were good (and some of their movies still are) they were just second tier in terms of budget and production compared to their US counterpart.

It has not always been the case.

To be totally fair, war is not the only thing responsible, Kodak was also a huge hit to the French cinema industry.

China is starting to make anime. I have a feeling we will see a lot from them entertainment wise considering their population.

american entertainment is commerce
for the masses
its not culture

tv and movies used to be and to some extect still is an art, its pretty well known in europe

btw only women watch your shit, says enough

Belgium used to have lots of comics. But for some reason they either stopped making them or get less airtime here.

>american entertainment is commerce
>for the masses
>its not culture

A show can be popular and good at the same time: these are not mutually exclusive qualities.

that is not the case with 99% of your products

>that is not the case with 99% of your products

It's not the case with 99% of anyone's products

jews

you are being disingenuous

GOATest of all time

this desu

hollywood has been artistically dead since the '70s and television has yet to reach the same plateau as cinema

europe and asia dominate film as an artistic medium and have for a long time
that isn't to say american arthouse doesn't exist, or that europe and asia don't also produce celluloid entertainment, but arthouse is more typically european than anything else

good show

average show

European arthouse is seen as pseudointellectual bullshit here in NZ
We mock your attempts at being special snowflakes

>plebeians can't grasp art
more news at 11

What is hilarious is that New Zealand directors like Peter Jackson and Andrew Adamson are far more wellknown worldwide than any Euro director
We have 4.8 million people, Europe has 750 million people

and miley cyrus is more well known than françoise hardy

stop embarrassing yourself

Miley Cyrus is known for being a mess
Peter Jackson and Andrew Adamson are known for being great directors
Not an argument and not a valid comparison

>and miley cyrus is more well known than françoise hardy

>stop embarrassing yourself

Are you implying that Françoise Hardy is "art"?

>best show of all time
>average

fine change it to beyonce or drake or who the fuck ever
it's still a valid comparison

popularity =/= artistic value

and btw peter jackson is known for being a fucking hack lmao
andrew adamson? the guy behind shrek? wew some filmmakers you get there m8

technically, even miley is art

the distinction is between good and bad art

The King's Speech is literally the greatest kino of the 2010s

>peter hackson
>hack
Is this a yurocucks pathetic attempt at belittling a briliant director? Kek

Also Andrew Adamson because of shrek and lion witch and the wardrobe is still more famous than any European director

>Why don't other countries have as much of a culture of decent media arts?
there are many great movies from other countries, you're just being an ignorant burger. I agree mostly about TV shows though. I think the reason you have such great tv is because you have the budget to get everything you need and hire people from all over the world

Haha, yeah I remember when I was 14-18.

Film as an art medium is dead.

Art exists on the internet now, and as mixed media projects.

You don't know shit, you are putting on airs. When is your fedora fitting?

Still you could have find a better example.

wish i had some of those terrible hobbit webms

jackson is an absolute joke and nobody gives a fuck about adamson

Are you saying the guy behind Shrek is more known than von Trier, Polanski, Herzog, Truffaut, Hitchcock, Bergman etc? This is a new level of delusion

>Film as an art medium is dead
t. uncultured pleb

>Film as an art medium is dead
dog bless ameriga :DDDDD

It is. You faggots are clinging on to the past.

Case in point, where are your modern directors?

von trier, polanski, and herzog are all active, you mong

jesus christ you literally don't know what you're talking about yet you insist on voicing your opinion in typical american fashion

>Why is America so much better than everyone else at making great tv shows and movies? Why don't other countries have as much of a culture of decent media arts?
Because America consists of every country

I'm not having a discussion of film with someone who for some inconceivable reason considers it a dead art. 3 of those have made films the last 5 years.

Spielberg and Cameron are still active and making Kino while Euro hacks just put out flicks

I've literally never heard of them in my entire life
Talk about complete irrelevance

Yes, but well past their heydays. Just because they're still alive and have some clout does not mean they are making breakthroughs or even making valid artistic points.

All that is happening on the internet, and you, the fedoras are the only people still covering your ears and pretending it isn't happening.

But past their heydays, you fucker. Just because they've made movies does not mean they are contributing to the common culture.

They're old men. They're not the innovators anymore. You have the taste of old men, which I'm sure you fancy.

@73775760
@73775762
shan't be giving thee anymore (You)s

>they're past their heyday because i said so and i'm the arbiter of artistic points because i'm a fat uncultured american
wow great points you sure showed me

btw godard is still pushing the medium at 86 years old

@73775870
just get over it. Brits don't get the money for films and no one wants to see them because they are catered to pretentious fucks

some of the best films have been made on a shoestring

fuck off you literally don't know what you're talking about

my my what a fantastic post

Budget is literally the only category where American movies have an upper hand, as their market is huge, and it doesn't count for much regarding the creation of a good film experience.

it's not? it's just because america has the dominant entertainment media (in terms of business), most of it is dogshit. Meanwhile most non-american stuff is decent because it's not about shitting out literal vomit to appeal to retards.

you mean like Clerks?

Keep clinging to old men that make you feel unique, bubs. Arthouse Film has gone the way of the radio play. Attention spans are shortening, the medium has been fully realized, and due to high production cost essentially only exists as a commercial product for women, children, and nerds. There's no appetite for shitty, hackneyed, low budget euro films - even in Europe. All that remains, like radio plays, are devotists. It's fine to be one, but if you're insisting arthouse film is still cutting edge in the world of art, you're simply not paying attention. It's like printmaking and tempera paintings. Installations, augmented reality, and short internet films and projects - not dusty art house- are the prevailing medium. The mediums where anything is happening. I like me some oil paintings and frescoes, doesn't mean they're current or living.

Good example of a good American film. It's still not very popular if I'm correct.

>MOST non-American stuff is decent

It's plenty popular, it's just not massively popular. But nothing really is anymore except sport. The internet has led to greater fracturing of interest. Even the most normal of normies have a few things they enjoy that could be viewed as merit worthy. If you stopped enjoying the smell of your own farts you'd notice that.

Challenge accepted; Japan wins again.
youtube.com/watch?v=f62Z8Ev9OXA

first off, being cutting edge doesn't determine artistic value. i could paint a beautiful landscape, but it wouldn't be art because it's nothing new? fuck off

secondly, video art and multimedia installations still fall under film as an artistic medium. you're arguing film is a dead art form and then telling me it's pushing the scene. you don't even know what point you're making.

lastly, arthouse is still plenty fucking popular. why do you think arthouse-for-normies directors like NWR and PTA are still dominating cinemas?
sure, they're breaking box offices but nothing does except trite. the same goes for every medium. lowest common denominator wins.

*they're not

Hollywood actively drain talent from the film industries of other countries. I know people in the British film industry who've worked with guys who got headhunted by Hollywood as soon as they got an Oscar. Straight off.
Sometimes the studio would get threatening letters/emails if they tried to retain the guys.

Cutting edge does not determine value, but it determines life of a medium - which is what we're discussing. Again, film is fine, it's plenty artistic, but it's dead like frescoes. Doesn't mean it's impossible to enjoy a fresco or find artistic merit in it.

Furthermore, film =\= video, which is sort of central to my point.

Really?

I dont know but most watchable products are generaly from america-canada.Especially Game of Thrones and Battlestar galactica are so fucking good.

>Why don't other countries have as much of a culture of decent media arts?

I dunno we do quite well, I mean our creative industry is pretty fucking big accounting for £85 billion a year to the economy. And after yourselves the UK exports the most television content.

>Game of Thrones

>big show backed by big studios that can afford to hire half-decent actors
>good

>What is hilarious is that New Zealand directors like Peter Jackson and Andrew Adamson are far more wellknown worldwide than any Euro director

I hope you're not including the UK in that Euro director comment.

>Cutting edge does not determine value, but it determines life of a medium
this is the stupidest point i've ever heard, so music is also dead because it hasn't progressed massively in the past few decades? stop embarrassing yourself

>film =/= video
but it does, and counter to this video art hasn't been cutting edge since the '70s
the only true advancement it has seen is digital, and most artists still use analog because it allows for more expression and experimentation

Hoo boy, am I sick of Brits overvaluing their tv. Lived there.

For every one mr. bean there's 10 eastenders, Jeremy Kyle, or shit gardening program for shutins.

Well you can say the same for the US. There's more shit than good stuff overall.

and for everyone sopranos there's an ncis, springer show, pawn stars, or reality game shows

stop being a mong

Bruh you're like the most pseudo-intellectual conventional yuro I've ever seen

>analog allows for more experimentation

Now I know you're joking. We got enough cuhraaaazy exposure techniques in the fucking 60s, old man.

And music has hit a plateau. Digital music allowed for any sort of sound, but we're still seeking a full utilization of it. Some good contemporary composers are trying, but it all sounds like shit.

i havent seen any hollywood movie anymore but another thing that strengthens hollywood is the language. if it was all german it wouldnt have gotten popular all over the world. the same goes for community sites like SNS on the internet. it quickly can get that much users/normies from the world as it came out.

>he thinks analogue in video art means exposure techniques
again, you don't know what you're talking about

video synthesisers are the main tool for video art and they're still mostly analogue because it allows for more experimentation

Friendly reminder that America makes many of its """"Hollywood"""" films in the UK, using its superior and world leading productions crews, set designers and visual effect studios. Pinewood Studios alone is killing it. The Star Wars franchise as an example, technically it's a British franchise. True story.

Why did I watch this

reminder jews dominate american media

>pleb insults his betters because he doesn't understand art
wow shocking turn of events

I know it and you know it, but there are a lot of faggots that sit there and want to jerk off to the idea of "le superior British tv."

Fuck you, Rachel. Your taste sucks and you'll never make it as an actress, I'm tired of your shitty screenplays.

Enourmous production companies with huge budgets coupled with huge demand. Quantity over quality.

The rest of the world doesn't really have the same. The only similar situation I can think of is the USSR's Soyuzfilm and Soyuzmultfilm.

UK is not Europe

Versus a computer which can literally render anything that can be imagined.

Fuck outta here, le superior gentleman of artistic taste.

>mfw this cat died a long time ago

Gives me feels every time I watch animals in videos from past decades

jdimsa

The problem is that artistic minded people are typically not computer minded (or patient), and computer minded people think superhero movies for chinks are art.

user pls ;_;

So what did you guys think of the True Detective intro in OP? It's part of the reason I made the thread. Was True Detective well known al all in other cunts?

i stop watching it after a few episodes into season 2. Haven't bother to pick it up.

video synthesisers can be built and modified by the artist to output entirely unique feeds

computers run programs that have been created by somebody else and most likely already experimented on to death

i'm not even arguing that digital video art is bad, i enjoy it a lot of it
i'm simply informing you that the medium is still largely analogue

Why is R2-D2 such a cunt?

youtube.com/watch?v=0jX5Bowpwjc

If we would define art product as " another formations that created by Complex formations that process information,then every product that we create(even poop,piss waterfalls) can be accepted as art product.By looking to Modern art's brianlets product,you can confirm this definition of art.But when we try to measure value of an art product in our minds,we use this refferance point,how aesthhatetic that product is?(Because things that we perceive as Aesthetic,gives us more and more mental pleasure.) So we can define untalented shits like Egon Schiele as an artist,but i can say he is really really a bad artist.Only artsy farsty useless shitbag apes who dont know anything about any conceptions can think Egon as a good artist.Damn those apes are so cringy.

right. thats seriously the biggest problem to me in watching recent movies, especially sci-fi ones. there're too many cgs with overly fast animations/bizarre deformations and glaring lighting effects. i really dont like it.

i like old carpenters works like the thing, the fog, etc, or dark atmospheric futuristic ones like blade runner. but reckon i couldnt ever get such films in the future.

The new star wars is fucking garbage
You pommies are unironically proud of making absolute trash star wars films

The original trilogy was filmed in the UK too.

You cannot create an aesthetic and more valuable art product without aesthetic looking or really talented actors.You cannot create massive projects without a massive studio that filled with talented artists.Everyone of these thing requires lots of money and talent.And While i am watching Game of thrones it provides me lots of mental plesure,so its a good product for me.

If you you will watch the video you can see even a short scene requires lots of people to work and so it needs lots of money that will came from massive entertainment companies.
If you havent watched or read game of thrones than dont click the link.It contains spoilers.

vimeo.com/172374044
Damn probably you are criticizing Ghost in the shell just because whitewashing.She was a anime chracther man,not a real japanese.And all anime characters generaly looking like westerners.If an asian perform in that movie as Majorişt wouldnt provide me enough mental plesure i think.Scarlett was really a proper person for that role.