/jazz/ general

Modern jazz edition

Who are your favorite players on the main jazz instruments?
>sax
>trumpet
>piano
>guitar
>bass
>drums

>Sup Forums jazz guides and charts
imgur.com/a/7k7Sw

>releases, reviews and news
pastebin.com/RXP80z0f

>music downloads
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

>historical resources
mega.nz/#F!fNdmVR7B!9a5sgVwyqqC3i3j9ooJGLg (jazz books)
mega.nz/#F!vZUVwQAR!nye_-wRwFbm-0Q3DYivQBg (Collection of Blue Note liner notes)
mega.nz/#F!ncdz0CpY!7RKQ_SY6OI77NcKS64t4UA (Collection of 1960’s Down Beat Scans)

>jazz theory and playing resources
mega.nz/#F!WcEEmbIJ!YGcPWrZAx4K9Jf4TVnsb_w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zEhIEbheMqo
nycjazzrecord.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=kIFoAwJPtm4
youtube.com/watch?v=34ee2C0YbuA
youtube.com/watch?v=FsXa5kcQYxk
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb0kxJtEtMA
youtube.com/watch?v=_046ffopEEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BX4TV_nNw-A
jazzhistoryonline.com/Fats_Waller_1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=EN1uu6d76zE
youtube.com/watch?v=PSNPpssruFY
downbeat.com/news/detail/from-the-magazine-sipiagin-soars-on-new-sextet-album
youtu.be/M0C-PTNj4fk
youtube.com/watch?v=qPpSWgKpUPM
youtube.com/watch?v=EDg--Bb79YM
youtube.com/watch?v=2jbZrocd6vs
youtube.com/watch?v=fz9CXUOp__Q
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HaveYouMetMissJones(bridge).ogg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Harold Land
Woody Shaw
Martial Solal
Tal Farlow
Paul Chambers
Philly Joe Jones

Oh what I meant to out was who are your favorite MODERN players on the main jazz instruments

oh, well, my bad
I'm less knowledgeable about modern jazz though

Rudresh Manhanthanppa
Ambrose Akinmusire
Laurent Coq
Manu Codjia
Christian McBride
Dafnis Prieto

Christian Scott

Is Matana any good or is she overrated like Kamasi Washington?

I'm a jazz newcomer but I enjoyed that album a lot.

John Coltrane is my favorite saxophonist ever. What modern sax players do you rec?

what is the main appeal of the basslines in jazz? i like how bouncy and energetic they are but they seem very urgent and they arent always coherent

wat

The bass outlines the harmony and usually provides the rhythmic foundation (along with the drums) for the band

the fuck does that even mean

im a Sup Forums indie kid, help me like the jazz bass

traditionally jazz bassists play a "walking bassline" where they play four quarter notes per measure. They typically play the root note of the chord on the first beat of the measure, and outline the rest of the chord, while leading smoothly into the root of the chord in the next measure. The fact that they stick mostly to quarter notes means that they are keeping the most basic rhythm of the music, leaving the drummer and the rest of the band to take more liberties with the rhythm.

That's just the traditional walking bassline, there's much more that the bass can do in jazz, but that's the most basic role.

Listening to pic related and digging it SO hard.
Trio with Matt Chandler on guitar, Ross Stanley on organ and Eric Ford on drums. A must-listen for fans of Wes Montgomery, Pat Martino and Kurt Rosenwinkel.

Jazz accompaniment is quite democratic. The bassist is expected to 'speak out' a little more, not just chug away at the root note.
In the music you already listen to, are there any basslines that you particularly like? If so, post them.
I think Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones is a great example of a non-jazz bassist speaking out.

Daily reminder that Duke Ellington is the most underrated pianist ever.

Listen to Solitude on Money Jungle, absolutely fantastic use of staccato with a beautiful timbre

I've been trying to learn jazz piano. Any album recommendations?

How long have you been doing it? If the answer is not long there are a number of things you need to have down before you can get anywhere.

First of all you need to learn your major scales for every key. You are also learning all the modes at the same time which will become apparent as you begin to vary your scale exercises. Learn all of them, play them at tempo to a metronome and play them around the circle of 5ths/4ths.
Then you need to learn all your major 7th arpeggios. When that is done learn your minor, diminished, augmented and dominant 7th arpeggios.
Then you need to learn smooth voice leading. My favourite exercise for this is play CM7 (for example) and then play every single seventh chord that contains a C inverted so that the C is a bass.
Then you need to learn your ii-V-I's. There are a bunch of different exercises for this which focus on slightly different things. Eventually you want to be able to do a ii-V-I cycle around the circle of 4ths in one hand while playing the appropriate scale to each chord in the other.

I would hold off doing any transcription until you have all of this down. This is like knowing your alphabet when it comes to learning to read. You won't be able to do anything if you can't do this.

Who are your guys' fav pianists?

you shud kill yourself that might help

If he didn't understand the post he replied to, he sure as fuck won't understand this one

I've been classically trained, and have knowledge of music theory (took the Advanced Placement exam in high school), so I have a good understanding of 7th chords and inversions.

I'll probably start looking at jazz theory. I also meant when I asked for recommendations if there were any albums or jazz pianists that were worth listening to in general.

Loved that album but didn't enjoy chapter 2 as much. Any recs?

this shit is good, does anyone know more like this?

Why is free jazz considered rockist?

Ralph Bowen!

honestly been thinking of it

what is painless

it's not. only bad free jazz that favors image and/or aggression over musical substance (hence why it is favored by rock fans) is.

Darius jones and bill mchenry

Kurt Elling is a nice jazz vocalist
youtube.com/watch?v=zEhIEbheMqo

Thats just stupid mu shit, literaly will never that outside this website.

Exactly.

Anybody here collect jazz on vinyl? Post your rare/cool/favorite records.

Always Monk

I have a collection of about 60 really good, cool jaz records. Ive been thinking of laying them all put and posting on here. Maybe ill do that tonight.

i only listen to john zorn what's my problem

I'm not really a "collector" but I probably visit the local record stores a couple times a month and will make a point to check out record stores if I'm visiting another city.

Here's some cool stuff I've picked up mostly in the last few months. 1/2

i really really like jazztronica

am i pleb

2/2

I now have maybe 300-400 jazz vinyl records - not at home so can't post pics

rarest in the absolute sense of fewest copies in existence are local free jazz releases and other similar local small pressing stuff - I have a bunch that have only ever had a single pressing of 100-300 copies - several hand numbered ones like that, but they're not generally very coveted by collectors or worth much or anything. I guess the absolute rarest one would be a white vinyl 7 inch from a local group that had a pressing of just 5 copies.

I have some pretty cool older first pressing albums, but no really rare actual collector-type stuff - mono first pressing copies of the Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers album commonly known as Moanin' and Archie Shepp's Fire Music and Monk's Misterioso - I tend to more often buy new vinyl releases and more affordable 70's and 80's albums, though.

u have zornitis

>Charlie Rouse
>Lee Morgan
>McCoy Tyner
>Sonny Sharrock
>I don't think I can say anything substantial here
>Art Blakey

Akajdjzj

Enchance is a fucking great record! Good find man.

i wanna start buying more on vinyl but i'm poor so i mostly only have cds

Yeah plus look at all the cool shit in the gatefold

>jazzthreadguy hasn't updated in more than a week
Press F to pay respects.

He is still around, just very very busy

Are there any jazz websites/blogs that you guys like that are not in the sticky?

>piano
this is my instrument so I'll just do this one

Monk and Evans are undoubtedly the best. They're poles apart, which makes it even better. Serene expressionism vs. highly improvisational melodic playing, love it

Has anyone actually gone through ALL of Ten Freedom Summers? Like not only listened to all tracks, but fully digested each one? What do you think of it?

Recently listened to pic related for the first time and am totally in love. Other recs, especially something groovy like tracks 2-4 here?

Other fusion releases I've enjoyed are In a Silent Way, Tribute to Jack Johnson, and Sleeping Beauty, but I'm still introducing myself the genre.

thats pretty sick man! im honestly surprised like anyone else knows that record. sick gatefold. i love Hart's playing so much.

I guess a pic would actually help

theres a really really good forum but im scared to tell the shit posting capitol of the world about it.

It's not like anybody goes on /jazz/ anyway :^)

your not wrong haha its the organissimo forum, its where all the guys from the blue note forum left after they shut down that part of the site. its just like 50 year olds talking about records.

Organissimo seems like it might be cool, but it moves really slowly and just feels too much like old white guy central

Everybody knows about organissmo. It's good just very slow.

yeah but they know a lot of records you wouldnt have heard of and theyre usually pretty good.

Definitely listen to Bitches Brew. Another recommendation - pic related.

yeah, I read Organissimo semi-regularly, but never more often than once a week

on a similar note, I just recently subscribed to the digital edition of Downbeat - I figured the 3 year subscription is just 20 bucks a year, just one or two physical albums and there's so little good written jazz content, that might as well support them

not a huge fan of Downbeat - all the polls are super conservative, but the digital copy is convenient to order and you get a pdf to keep forever so what the hell

anyone else subscribed or read/subscribe to other online jazz magazines?

The New York City Jazz Record is another free magazine-format one I regularly check for new reviews: nycjazzrecord.com/

I don't subscribe but JazzTimes is very good, though kind of a Downbeat clone. I like that their reviews don't have ratings though, just reviews.

The Downbeat polls are silly but I don't think anybody really takes them seriously.

I like Hart's playing a lot, I think he's one of those drummers who really "stands out" on a record. Especially with like a piano trio or something. On some of the stuff he's played on lately though it seems like he plays too much of his little china cymbal. Sometimes its cool but sometimes it feels out of place.

I feel like the Downbeat polls are getting better though, not anymore just a collection of old guys who are still alice

Charles Lloyd & the Marvels winning best group seems like it must be very wrong, though

Well that's what I mean... with how diverse jazz is now, how can you even pick one best group? It's nuts.

You just posted him. Fats is also GOD on organ, especially real pipe organ.
youtube.com/watch?v=kIFoAwJPtm4
youtube.com/watch?v=34ee2C0YbuA
youtube.com/watch?v=FsXa5kcQYxk
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb0kxJtEtMA
youtube.com/watch?v=_046ffopEEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BX4TV_nNw-A

The stuff they had to go through back then just to record a pipe organ was pretty intense.
jazzhistoryonline.com/Fats_Waller_1.html
>It’s important to note that the organ was designed for recording and not for church services. Had it been a church organ, the console and pipes would have been in the same room. Instead, the pipes were placed in a separate room, which was presumably sealed off so that outside noises would not affect the recordings. Compounding the problem was the organ’s inherent delay between the pressing of the key and the sound being produced by the pipes. Thus, the organist at the console would only hear a muffled and delayed version of what he was playing. What made recording at Trinity even more challenging was that the cutting turntables were located on an upper floor because the speed of the turntable motors were controlled with weights instead of electricity (AC power was considered too unreliable at the time) and the weights required several feet of dropping room so that they would continue running for the duration of the recording.
> Bushell claimed that “the organ pipes were in one room and we were in another” and also stated that during recording, Waller was in a room “about a city block away” from the rest of the musicians. This would indicate a total of three rooms: one for Waller and the console, another for the remaining musicians, plus the organ pipe room. The synchronization issues in such a scenario would have been a nightmare, even with a monitoring system!

>Monk and Evans are undoubtedly the best
You mean Art Tatum.

Glad someone else appreciates Waller

youtube.com/watch?v=EN1uu6d76zE
youtube.com/watch?v=PSNPpssruFY

Him and Joplin are my two fav stride/ragtime pianists. I tried getting into Tatum also but I wasn't able to find something that grabbed me.

My favorite jazz album right now is Africa/Brass, what do you guys think of it? Can you point me to some albums that i might like based on my taste?

bump

I love that record. Honestly id say just listen to tranes who discog.

I know we have this discussion every thread but what are some great vocal jazz albums? (Bonus points for not posting anything by Fitzgerald/Armstrong)

Anita O'Day is cool. Then there are the other obvious choices like Chet Baker, Billie Holiday, and Sarah Vaughan.

Speaking of Downbeat
downbeat.com/news/detail/from-the-magazine-sipiagin-soars-on-new-sextet-album

bump

bump 2

You need to learn jazz theory. Without it you can't solo and you will barely be able to comp to simple tunes. I think Jazzology is a good introductory book. Lots of people like Mark Levine's Jazz Theory book though I find it to be a little simple. He also wrote a book for jazz piano which is mostly the same, just with a different emphasis. Youtube is an amazing resource for both jazz theory and jazz piano and I highly encourage you to check out some of the stuff there.

>so I have a good understanding of 7th chords and inversions
Are you saying you understand them or that you can instantly play any chord in any inversion in a second from being asked? Understanding them is good but you have to do exercises until you can do the latter. Jazz piano is different from classical in that 90% of what you do, even on the simplest tunes is largely up to you and you have to be able to play things instantly and without even needing to think about anything but the much more complex things. At best you will have a lead sheet to read which will only tell you the basic chords that often necessitate embellishment, don't give voicing, and couldn't possible account for the on the fly changes that have to be made to accommodate the band. You won't have sheet music to tell you what to play and when. You need all your scales, arpeggios and inversions burnt into you so badly it will become as unconscious as breathing.

As for music if you are starting to play you probably want to stick to pre-bop jazz. You want things that are rhythmically and harmonically simple. It also makes aural transcription of the solos relatively easy.
If you want some jazz pianists to check out to get a feel for it the biggest are probably Tatum, Powell, Monk, Peterson and Evans. That is a range of styles right there.

I would also like to know this

Nice article. Sipiagin is not my favorite but the new album sounds interesting.

bump

>Chris Potter
>Ambrose Akinmusire
>Jason Moran
>Pat Metheny
>Harish Raghavan
>Brian Blade

Do you guys have any ''how to get into jazz'' charts?

yea, bitch, read the op.
Listened to Art Tatum in this group with Ben Webster last night, it was so luxurious, highly rec it.
youtu.be/M0C-PTNj4fk

It's almost as if you read OP you would have answered your own question.

fucking bebop soloing kills me every time

youtube.com/watch?v=qPpSWgKpUPM

wtf am I doing wrong Sup Forums

bump

How do I get into Satchmo?

The Complete Hot Fives and Hot Sevens.

How about you listen to it and find out?

The Coltrane Changes suck

Like what the fuck

They just sound bad

Are they supposed to sound good

Do people just wank off to them because of how "revolutionary" and "hip" they were?

Listen to:
Satchmo Meets Big T
The Complete Town Hall Concert
Legends in Music
Louis Plays W.C. Handy
The California Concerts
Complete Decca Recordings
The Great Chicago Concert
Satchmo The Great
Louis Armstrong and the Dukes of Dixieland
Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington
A Musical Autobiography

youtube.com/watch?v=EDg--Bb79YM
youtube.com/watch?v=2jbZrocd6vs
youtube.com/watch?v=fz9CXUOp__Q

Make sure to download the albums, most of his stuff isn't on youtube.

What? They're great. And it's not just one set of things, it's simply a specific harmonic approach towards a standard progression. It's just a tool that can be applied any number of ways to many different musical contexts.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HaveYouMetMissJones(bridge).ogg