What does Sup Forums think of Frank Zappa?

What does Sup Forums think of Frank Zappa?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1MewcnFl_6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=VFYnkPgj2qw
youtube.com/watch?v=_IXj7586O74
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He is cute.

he's dead

he has a few good albums, but the vast majority are quite weak. also the few good albums he has are certainly not enough to justify his smug attitude as though he is god's gift to humanity

Hot Rats is the DSOTM of jazz fusion

He really is a smug faggot who is only liked by other smug faggots.

This

Weasels Ripped My Flesh is the Saucerful of Secrets

*holds up fork*

His early work was the best. Freak Out, Absolutely Free, WOIIFTM, Uncle Meat and Weasels etc are absolutely dripping with ambition

I'm not in love with a lot of his extended instrumental solo albums, stuff like Waka Jawaka has its moments but a lot of it is middle of the road jam stuff. Really I think the only album matching his earlier albums is Joe's Garage, a perfect blend of the poppy inane songs and interesting experimental compositions he was doing at the time

Made some great music but is extremely overrated and inconsistent

His fans (most of which know nothing about music outside of zappa, classic rock and beefheart) are absolute cancer

Died too soon. Sorely missed.

Burnt Weeny Sandwich is Ummagumma if we are making conparisons.

ummagumma is clearly uncle meat. how could you screw up such an easy comparison you australopithefuck

Still I don't understand why people think ' is good
It's pretty bad

>t. smug faggot

reddit the musician

didn't die soon enough

95% of his music just bores me.

sporkcore

that's not a bad thing, sporkcore is a pretty patrician genre

Now that the dust has settled, what did he man by this? Who was in the wrong?

a lot of his music sounds the same. he does the vocals with that black guy doing backup vocals. he tried to make his music as experimental as possible, but it still ends up sounding similar. You can hear the "zappa formula" pretty quickly.

That only applies to his 80s albums

he invented or at least pioneered the form of the modern music video

this

Complete utterly garbage

I think he a very great and unique person, very brilliant and he made a lot of good music (not all of it but a lot of it)

i know most people in this thread are contrarian shitposters but that's alright, zappa's life and work speak for themselves.

youtu.be/1MewcnFl_6Y

the more time you spend with zappa the more you'll like em. if you like joe's garage its only a matter of time till you like all of his later 70s stuff. id recommend checking out sheik, lather, and sleep dirt. lather is a 4 album masterpiece that was supposed to be released during the mid-late 70s but wasnt released till after he died. sheik is a lot like joe's garage, though i prefer the second half of that album, the more i hear it the more i like it though.

im just gonna leave this hear. this blew my mind the night i heard it. i've never heard an epic that grooves like this one. only zappa was daring enough to genre mix like he did.

whoops. meant to post regyptian strut.

youtube.com/watch?v=_IXj7586O74

I only listened to Freak Out and Lumpy Gravy, what should I listen now?

Absolutely Free

Hot Rats
We're Only In It For The Money
Uncle Meat
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Apostrophe (')

I've listened to Sheik Yerbouti quite a bit and I really like it- it's a nice collection of pop songs of a variety of genres but it's no masterpiece and not up there with his earlier works which combines silly ditties with a grand concept.

2/10 None of these are Joe's Garage

I like him as a person and some of his music is really good.
Hes also an INSANELY good guitarist

My top 3 are Joe's Garage, One Size Fits All, and The Grand Wazoo

the only 60s album i like is freak out

John Frusciante was offered a spot in Zappa's band but he didn't take it because Frank had a strict no drugs policy and John wanted to live the rock star lifestyle so he ended up joining RHCP

I wonder how his career would have gone had he opted to join up with Zappa and stayed away from heroin

Joe's Garage lasts THREE HOURS

thanks rym!!!!!

?
those are among his most well known and acclaimed albums

>australopithefuck

hilarious