What has created the intense over appraisal of rap music in the last decade...

What has created the intense over appraisal of rap music in the last decade? Is it a social/political statement or is it fear of not looking like a rockist?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Needle_Drop#Album_of_the_Year_.282009.E2.80.93.29
youtube.com/watch?v=8g762REJWcg
youtu.be/uTzpgO2AL8A
youtu.be/aia76_8J6cI
youtu.be/ug3bS8HnkZw
youtube.com/watch?v=tZ5Mu2gs-M8
youtube.com/watch?v=9nlwwFZdXck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you have autism/nothing to do, so you spend a lot of time actively seeking things you don't like, including but not limited to the content of shitty music publications

>rockist
The word you're looking for is racist. There is affirmative action for music releases now.

Okay? Doesn't really have anything to do with the question.

It does. You're asking a leading question because you fundamentally can't understand that people might not have the same opinions as you.

>opinions
LOL

rap is not music.

it's talking. that's what it says. "rap" means talking in meter. It has rhythm. It's not music. It's OK. there's nothing wrong with it, it's just not music. People who are great at rap aren't great musicians, they're just great at rap. there's no road from rapping into music. Music is something you can get better and better at, I don't think you can do that with Rap. I don't know if rap has that kind of space to it which leads off to an infinite number of possibilities. music does.

so spoken word musicians arent musicians

it is the reason you are asking the question, so it's certainly related. this stuff isn't on my radar, so I couldn't tell you why whatever releases you are referring to are praised so much, but usually a good place to start is reading what the audience/critics/whatever you're talking about have to say about them

no. what is a "spoken word musician"? Is it someone that is a musician who sings in spoken word? They're still a musician, they're engaging in the making of music, they're just employing an different vocal technique which has nothing to do with rap music.

Rap is just talking over a beat. Rappers are not good musicians, theyre not even musicians to begin with. They employ meter over a beat, that's it. Rhyming in meter is not music.

I'm just trying to have a conversation about something music-related on a music forum, why are you trying to undermine that? Do you have some agenda or something?

>is it fear of not looking like a rockist?
i hope not, because if it is, none of them have any idea what rockism is. rap that's obsessed with authenticity and "realness" (i.e., most of it) is as rockist as anything can be.

>rap is not music
sorry buddy but this is not a defensible position. first define music, but then I promise you that any way you slice it, hip hop is music

>but then I promise you that any way you slice it, hip hop is music
hip hop =/= rap

please leave

I'm really not, I'm trying to help you get to the answer of your own question. if something is "praised," surely reading the praise itself would explain why it is being praised, no? why would you read a review and then ask why they enjoyed the album? that's the point of a review

The zeitgeist of any era is reflective of society at that time and place. Think about it.

how exactly are they not synonymous

rapping is the vocal style employed in hip hop

rapping without a beat is still rhythmic

nobody really listens to "rap" as you're defining it

get a life

Bait, but I'll take it anyway. This is moronic. Even if we ignore the fact that plenty of rap does involve melody (vocal and instrumental), you are defining music as requiring certain arbitrary elements.

A drummer is a musician, so is a rapper even though their instruments are percussive rather than tonal.

Music without harmony is still music. Music without a clear and defined meter is still music. Music without melody is still music. You don't need to check all the boxes to make music.

Flow has an infinite number of possibilities just like any other musical construction.

>nobody really listens to "rap" as you're defining it

I do, and it's still music.

"rap" is talking in meter, hip hop is a style of music based in drum rhythm.

>rapping is the vocal style employed in hip hop
but the inverse isn't true. "hip hop" is not a style employed in rapping because "to rap" means to talk in meter. the two are culturally linked; but they are not even remotely the same. one is a style of music, the other is an action. you learned your verbs in grade school, right?

>nobody really listens to "rap" as you're defining it
how do you listen to rap when you're not busy deepthroating your boyfriend?

name me 1 great rapper that is also a great musician. I'll wait.

I don't understand, what makes it so that Tyler the creator isn't a musician cause he raps and someone like bill withers is because he sings, I mean, if you put it in retrospect they are both using musical notation, I'm just really confused on where you draw the line on who and what makes a musician

>reddit spacing

>name me 1 great rapper that is also a great musician
define "great musician"

This is a pointless thread in post-modern times

because "rapping" isn't music, it's talking in meter. When I shitpost on the internet, am I making music? When I write poetry, am I making music? When I write an essay, am I making music? No. the action of talking in and of itself is not music. There are musical elements in some rap and hip hop, for sure; but it doesnt have the expansion and flexibility that actual music does.

>I mean, if you put it in retrospect they are both using musical notation
the use of musical notation (time signatures, rhythm) does not make something music. is poetry music? no. poetry uses rhythm and "musical notation" (meter); but that doesn't make it music.

talking still has pitch qualities
your definition of music is quite narrow

>implying plebtano doesn't hate rap.

i don't need to define "great musician", i'll just define "musician": a person who plays a musical instrument, especially as a profession, or is musically talented.

show me a "great rapper", by any of your own standards that you choose, who is a talented musician.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Needle_Drop#Album_of_the_Year_.282009.E2.80.93.29

Give me an example of what "actual music" is, I won't fully understand the concept your trying to point out unless I understand how you define music

Lil Wayne
youtube.com/watch?v=8g762REJWcg

>i don't need to define "great musician"
yes you do. what makes a musician great in your eyes? and how could someone I consider to be a great musician working within the genre of hip hop compare to someone I consider to be a great musician in literally any other genre of music? the things that make musicians great differ from genre to genre and person to person.

why are you people replying to obvious bait

yeah it has to do with political correctness, which is basically code for anti-white sentiment

things will come around when there's so few whites left running around that people start to realize what kind of situation we're in

you dropped your tinfoil hat back in your containment board

for sport, user
only reason we reply to anything

The distinction between spoken poetry and music is arbitrary except for the fact that poetry has semantic content.

Your attempt to be contrarian is trite and transparent.

exactly. It's a fantastic opportunity to learn how to debate and express your points and learn new things as well.

>implying Death Grips is rap and the others aren't blatant pandering

The Wu-Tang Clan, Beastie Boys, Notorious BIG, Outkast etc. were praised all over the country before you were even born

>learn new things
no

I don't have to think about it. I know negros are evrywhere in music atm. The rap shit is just easy to consume. It is the fast food of music.

this but unironically

I often wonder what people who make these type of threads get out of this behavior.

rubles

true

hip hop (and related subgenres) is music though

>expansion and flexibility
>If I just keep introducing new buzzwords they won't figure out that I have no argument
Also I cant think of a single modern rapper that raps in a flat monotone like these critics pretend like they do. Rapping is a form of singing. Producers are just band members who's instrument is the computer.

i think it's because they like it, user

By this logic all pop isn't music either. After all, it's not like Michael Jackson is simply singing over a beat, he's not playing an instrument.

Name one remotely relevant rapper who raps by just "talking in meter"

listen to bone thugz n harmony and tell me they're just talking over a beat

solid 2/10

a spectacular theatrical nothing

>what is spoken word
>what are instrumentals

>It has rhythm.
>It's not music.

literally pick one

rhythm is a very common musical component.

also why are muh instruments so important to you rockists? and why does it only apply to rappers? no one ever seems to rag on the fact that 99% of famous pop stars (Beyonce, Adele, Taylor Swift etc.) don't play instruments or write/produce their own music, they just sing (badly, too). but because they're singing has melody that makes them more of musicians than rhythmic rappers? and that's putting aside the fact that plenty of rap/hip-hop has melody and harmony and texture and all that. and also even live instrumentation in some cases (The Roots, Kendrick Lamar).

>in the last decade

were you born in 2010? rap has been massively popular and acclaimed since the 90s. rap is not a new genre anymore, nor is it new to receiving praise from mainstream audiences. crawl out of the hole you live in and see the real world.

It's the only genre that does something in the realm of intricate rhythmic interplay while still staying inside popular music AND it's also still at that point where there's still some sort of innovation happening in it to an extent. All forms of rock music have now been explored and overdone to death; only relevant release was Bowie's and that was more due to his death than the actual music. Metal, which explored through heavy syncretism of non-metal with metal in the 2000s, hasn't done jack shit this decade. Indie garbage's last hurrah was that 2010 Beach House album, and am I glad it's mostly dead besides Radiohead's album getting overrated amounts of love last year. Electronic music is also extremely oversaturated with no true innovations at all; just everybody doing the same old shit ranging from the 90s to the mid 2000s. All the actually art stuff like experimental, contemporary classical, jazz, etc. obviously doesn't count because pop music journalism like p4k and fantano dont cover it.

So singers aren't musicians?

Rap pretends to be postmodernist when in reality its just shit

Tell me who actually claims to be postmodernist?

Except stuff like Shabazz obv.

>sampling
>minimalist structures
>focus on rhythms over melody/harmony
>lyrical/aesthetic focus on sociopolitical stuff
It doesn't get this post-modern my man.

everyone is replying to this b8 jerry garcia quote. SURE IS NEW IN HERE

>he said after replying to the post

This is an absurd argument. Great rappers are great musicians by default because rapping is a method of creating music. If you think creating an album like Illmatic doesn't require any musical talent, you are objectively wrong.

So it is postmodern or it isn't? And what difference does that even make in regards to quality?

Those are like the epitome of thing that signify post-modernism. Post-modern deconstruction doesn't always have to be abstract.

OH MY GOD, I WENT OVER THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD AND NO ONE REPLIED. GUESS YOU GUYS CANNOT HANDLE THE TRUTH.
IT IS FOR MANY REASONS, BUT ONE OF THE LARGEST IS ITS START THIS DECADE. KANYE WEST'S MY BEAUTIFUL DARK TWISTED FANTASY. NOW, THERE HAVE BEEN HIP-HOP ALBUMS PRAISED LIKE THE SUN BEFORE IT, SUCH AS ILLMATIC AND MADVILLAINY, BUT THAT BEING SAID, NEVER HAS AN ALBUM SO QUICKLY AND ENTHUSIASTICALLY CONSIDERED GOAT INCLUDING OUTSIDE OF ITS GENRE. PEOPLE COMPARED IT TO OK COMPUTER AND KID A FOR CHRISTS SAKE. FIRST EVER HIP HOP ALBUM TO TOP A DECADE FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME. SAY WHAT YOU WILL ABOUT HIM, KANYE HAS CHANGED THE GAME AT LEAST FOUR TIMES.

This.

Rap is a vocalization. Hip-Hop is the genre of music Rap commonly is used over, but Rap does NOT have to be accompanied by Hip-Hop. It always pisses me off when people say things like "what's your favorite rap song? " That's like saying "what's your favorite singing song? " or "what's your favorite speech song? " Yes, you can "rap" over a rock song, just like you can "sing" over a pop tune.

And yes, by this definition, rappers aren't musicians, and rap is not music. Rappers aren't required to play musical instruments, nor are they required to recite a composition. Singers, scatmen, and spoken wordists are also not musicians. They are artists, sure, but not specifically musicians. It's the musical accompaniment that is the music; that's the series of organized sounds. Rap does not consist of organized sounds, but rhythmic wordage.

If a rapper such as Tyler the Creator decides to accompany his raps with music AND HE PERFORMS AT LEAST ONE OF THE INSTRUMENTS HIMSELF, then he can be classified as a musician, and his recording can be classified as music. If he removes the musical accompaniment than the recording can only be classified as a "vocal recording", not music. If he doesn't perform at least instrument in his musical backing then he is not a musician.

I repeated myself plenty just to beat it into you guys' heads, because I really hope everyone in this thread doesn't make this mistake again.

>singing

that's music

Post some of your favorite rap pieces.

Vocal cords are quite literally a musical instrument, thus making rappers and singers musicians. There is no difference between someone who plays guitar strings and someone who "plays" vocal cords.

This argument is flawed because you assume Nas developed the instrumentals on the album, which, to my knowledge, is false. Had Nas performed the music himself, then he would be considered a musician, but considering the album, Illmatic, heavily used samples, it's safe to say that not even the producers (who were the ones that actually created the musical accompaniment that Nas utilized for his rhymes) were musicians, but rather composers (and before you try to combat this please do remember that the first song on the album consists of a drum sample and a piano sample pieced together and replayed with a bass version of the same sample under it). Can a composer be a musician, yes, can a rapper be a musician, yes, but a rapper or composer doesn't automatically become a musician, nor does it have to. That goes vice versa as well, a musician isn't also a poet, nor does he have to be.

I hate to be so autistic about this, but what you're doing here essentially is saying that someone like Earl Wild and Lil Uzi Vert is doing the same job, and they just aren't. That's like saying Stanley Kubrick and John Alcott do the same thing (if you were wondering, they don't, ones a director and another's a cinematographer).

not the user youre replying to, but

holy fuck user, comparing rappers to guitar players,

im actually stunned, i know this is Sup Forums but come on, i agree singers are musicians, of course theyre musicians, but just because some fucking nigger rhymes some words and goes ''SKRKRRR'' or ''gang gang'' in rhythm with a beat he didnt even fucking make does not make him a musician,

there are some rappers out there who are musically talented, ones who make their own beats, ones who have natural flow and ability to articulate words in a musical/rhythmic manner but for the most part, rappers are really just the hacks of the music scene

because it's the popular sound right now, so when you make a well-put-together album with a unique sound and great production, it gets recognition for what it is.

stupid fucking question

Not a stupid question at all, its as valid as asking the same question about rock in the late 80s you fucking faggot,

there is an over saturated market, and alot of shit, dont get me wrong there are some good albums but there is just so much shit now, and it gets praised just because its rap

youre a literal fucking troglodyte if you dont understand why ops question is valid

No, I don't assume any of that. Even if the album had no production or instrumentals of any kind, it would still be a musical feat.
Literally not an argument, you just reverted to "fuck niggers I don't like the content." Vocal cords are the guitar strings of your body.

>and it gets praised just because its rap
Prove it (objectively I mean, not with inane conspiracy theories)

I clearly made that distinction in my post. Did you even read past the first comma?

This.

it's jerry garcia copypasta you retarded newfags

Still no replies. Wow.
Fuck this board.

I didn't initially read it because of the ALL CAPS but now that you mention it, that actually makes some sense. I can't think of any rap album that came out in the years immediately preceding MBDTF that received such widespread acclaim in mainstream publications, but I can think of a great number of albums which received such praise afterward.

u mean last 20 years? fucking idiot

Rap does not need to utilize melody or vocal chords. It's never did, dating back to sugarhill gang, and its been that way throughout rap with few exceptions dating up until the recent 2010's. It's the reason why many people don't consider mumble rappers actual rappers. Don't believe me, then please tell me why Madvillainy is considered a good RAP album? Why don't battle rappers use melody? Why could Jay-Z's black album be remixed using instrumentals in different keys and chord progressions? I tell you why, because melody doesn't matter. Rap is not music.

Musical: having a pleasant sound; melodies; tuneful.

"I don't even have to sing in key; I'm the shit" - Andre 3000 (a rapper)

How could Illmatic be a musical feat without tune or melody? Chorus's are NOT required to have melody for rap, there have been many a rap song without melodic chorus's (some without chorus at all)

naw you just have a poor understanding of music theory

>Rap does not need to utilize melody or vocal chords
>Rapping without vocal cords
>Still trying to push the "rap is monotone" meme
W E W L A D

>immediately preceding
oh look, it's fucking nothing

>this thread

Solid rebuttal

youtu.be/uTzpgO2AL8A
youtu.be/aia76_8J6cI
youtu.be/ug3bS8HnkZw

3 different versions of the same rap song with different instrumentals. Do they sound like they use the same key and chord progression?

Who am I kidding, I bet they do to you because you're trying to win an argument. I'm not wasting my time on these frivolous rebuttals anymore. I'm just triggered at the accusation, because I busted my ass for 3 years to try to play a Piano Concerto No.5 in D Major perfectly on a shitty piano, and to have that work be equated to some guy reciting poems in a repetitive fashion for 2-3 minutes tops is disrespectful to me. You wouldn't call a writer a director, would you? I wouldn't, because I know they do different fucking things, and they qualify different.

Flow isn't tonal, rhythm isn't tonal. The 808 drum machines used for modern rap don't even bother to tune themselves and yeah I'm done ranting good troll you got me fuck you

> because I busted my ass for 3 years to try to play a Piano Concerto No.5 in D Major perfectly on a shitty piano
>thinks a piece of shit performer knows jack shit about the creative aspects of anything
Hahahahahahaha what a joke.

Have you considered that maybe people just like it and it's now old enough that there is enough diversity so there is at least one artist for pretty much everyone?

The problem to me isn't that there is some good hip hop and that makes me mad. The problem is that people have been convinced that just because good hip hop acts exist like Kanye and Death Grips, they have to pretend to like utter trash musicians like Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, and Danny Brown.

None of what you're trying to establish (which has become completely unclear at this point) negates the fact that that there are clear changes in tone throughout the vocal performance which Jay Z is giving. Do you need me to point them out to you? Jay Z is singing on all three tracks. Rapping is a form of singing. Singing a song is music by literally every sane person's definintion of what music is.

this is why I said "This but unironically"

fucking cocksucker

>Rapping is a form of singing.

Explain Earl Swearshirt.

Even with someone like Earl his usage of tone is apparent
youtube.com/watch?v=tZ5Mu2gs-M8

youtube.com/watch?v=9nlwwFZdXck

According to your logic drumming is not music either.

Which is why your logic is stupid

He uses tone, but not melodically to fit the key. He uses tone for inflection.