Post rock >> progressive rock

post rock >> progressive rock

prove me wrong

you're not right and you're not wrong. My favourite band is post-rock but y'know I think there's some good prog rock too

Post-rock is better in terms of artistry, but I still prefer listening to prog rock.

Muh sad string arrangements and crescendos.

Post rock is the same as prog rock but marketed to hipsters who are scared of the "nerdy" image that the prog rock label has.

dwenny firsd sgizoid man :DDDD

I bet it's Swans.

not true

also not true

ha jokes on u I don't even like swans

it's gastr del sol, you should listen to them user-chan =)

>(You)
>not true
How do you know what I prefer listening to

post-punk>>>post-rock>>prog

Fuck, I love Gastr del Sol. I take back my "insult".

prog (not progressive metal)>a lot of other music>post-rock

there some very good post-rock albums though

Progressive rock is about expanding the boundaries of rock music. Post-Rock is about using rock instrumentation for non rock purposes. There's a difference.

Post-Rock actually did something different. Prog rock was unoriginal as fuck in every way possible.

Avant teen weirdo shit (Magic Band, Henry Cow, Cardiacs, etc.) and post-rock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> prog rock for doing interesting shit instead of "lets water down classical/jazz by turning it into rock music!"

>Prog rock was unoriginal as fuck in every way possible.
How in the hell were band like The Soft Machine, Trikolon, Amon Düül II, The Mothers of Invention and King Crimson unoriginal, especially in the late 60's when they've started?

ADII and Trikolon are krautrock not prog.

The Soft Machine was doing generic psych shit before doing generic prog shit before they made Third which is more jazz rock or fitting the avant teen weirdo stuff than prog which is why it's so good, then they made generic prog after that.

TMOI aren't prog at all in any way, and them doing concept stuff doesn't make them prog either. Also fuck Zappa, he's the most overrated player who's just as boring as the guys he makes fun of with his pentatonic runs.

King Crimson was never great. Pop structures that breaks into long wank sessions that do nothing interesting or innovative.

>krautrock not prog

TOOT TOOT WE HAVE A PLEB O'ER HERE

dadrock > math rock

>thinks their approach to songwriting/composition is at all the same
Actually listen to those artists.

>thinking either of those define post-rock
prog was meant to be that - but its not. theres a reason that there had to be a genre called 'avant-prog' - because prog wasn't changing. All prog bands sounded like prog - which in itself is not very "progressive".
your definition of post-rock is pretty accurate tho
they were in the 60s but really only king crimson kept progressing rock - other 70s groups like genesis and yes refused to "progress", it stayed the same

krautrock is a form of prog rock
king crimson didn't make pop structures ?? Just because there was melody to it and repeated choruses doesn't make it a pop structure. You're forgetting what actual pop sounds like

if you like being bored
and its also completely different musically but hey the tracks tend to be long right

>krautrock is a form of prog rock
No it's not, especially with how different its latter iterations are from progressive rock. You can slightly make a case for like Xhol Caravan or Amon Duul II because of their heavily psychedelic background, but structurally their music's not progressive rock at all.

And KC definitely had pop structures with wank. I guess technically it's an adaptation of the sonata form, but since there's very little in the realm of exposition and development happening, it essentially reduces down to pop structures with a wank part instead of intro/exposition with development.

post rock all sounds the same after first wave, and king crimson did most of that shit in the trio era

crescendos literally make me leak precum

ALL YOU DO TO ME IS TALK TALK

post-rock isn't a real genre. there's absolutely no reason to mention talk talk and explosions in the sky in the same sentence

what makes a genre "real" other than the fact people who care for it understand what kind of music you're trying to talk about. no one is gonna stop using the term because you bitch about it or EitS

I'm sorry but you're argument is not very convincing because you are using subjective terms like "generic shit" and "overrated" instead of actually telling me why were these bands unoriginal. Please name a band that sounded like Soft Machine's debut before Soft Machine existed. Same with Zappa and King Crimson.

the apex of post rock

I gave an example of why I think Zappa's overrated (so called "experimental" guy that just overused pentatonic like everyone else.) If you have no clue what that meant, go fuck yourself for trying to even act like you know what you're talking about.

>Please name a band that sounded like Soft Machine's debut before Soft Machine existed.
Manfred Mann and Georgie & Blue Flames were already doing forms of jazz rock many years before SM's s/t. Pink Floyd, Zappa, and Magic Band all released jazz inspired psych rock a couple years before SM. Most of that canterbury jazzy psych rock stuff wasn't that great, because a lot of it was just a jazzy take on prog's closer to classical take where nothing new was happening, stuff was just watered down. Especially that SM s/t it's so sparse and boring with so little happening compared to its contemporaries.

progressive rock encompasses post-rock