Looking at upgrading my CPU. Currently have i5 6400...

Looking at upgrading my CPU. Currently have i5 6400. I'm curious if I should get an i7 or if I should switch to AMD with the new Ryzen series looking pretty damn good. If I switch I will have to get a new motherboard as well which is a concern since I dont want to spend a whole shit ton of money. Looking for around $400 price range. Any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.altfolio.rmgsoftware
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559&cm_re=i7-_-19-117-559-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what programs are you running?

chrome, I'm on Sup Forums you dunce

Ryzen 1600 and board should be 300 or less.

Ryzen pro

>chrome, I'm on Sup Forums you dunce
in that case. raspberry pi all the way.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.altfolio.rmgsoftware

if you really did miss the obvious point of my question. I surprised you actually found Sup Forums.

Not me,

But I mainly play games and I'm looking into getting into streaming as well. Kinda looking more into future longevity since I do have some extra cash laying around

If youre not low om cash, why not just wait for the i9s? Comming Sion if im not mistaken

Never said I was wealthy

i7 will be better for games. Ryzen is more ideal for heavy multi processing like number crunching and rendering.

Don't get an i9, they're more expensive than a Xeon of the same caliber and not worth it for gaming.

Games only use 1 or 2 cores, having 16 cores won't help except for multitasking. Get a fast quad or 8 core cpu. I run AMD FX series or you can get an okay i7 at that price range. I'm not sure about Ryzen but if it's on par with FX series then go for it. Or save and get an i7.

Don't buy a Xeon or i9, or "threadripper" for gaming. Just dont

Yea I wasnt planning on going that crazy. I just feel like i7 is expensive sinceI can get a ryzen with same speeds for less

How does that differ? Pardon my ignorance. I want to run games and stream as well though

Go to a forum like overclock.net, Sup Forums is a horrible place for PC advice.

Overclock is filled with nerds who argue about every component in the system. Lurk a few threads and you will understand exactly what is the best bang for the buck component and why.

If you like straming go AMD, I got a 1700 on the bench and its ripping the 4 core Intels to shreds (even with SMT/hyperthread disabled)

not to mention the new Intel chip/chipsets are a fucking ripoff if AMD can put this out with 1/10th the budget

>How does that differ? Pardon my ignorance. I want to run games and stream as well though
Ryzen cores are much faster than previouse generation AMD chips, but they are still slightly slower than i7 cores. You just get more cores for the price with Ryzen so dollar for dollar it's better if you regularly use ALL those cores. Games and streaming usually don't use all the cores at the same time, even if you doing both at once. So I would suggest sticking with i7 for what you're planning to do. That would give you at least 8 processing threads, which should be more than enough.

OP, get yourself a decent FX series or Ryzen processor, with a good motherboard, and save up for a good GPU if you don't have one already.

If you're not doing much more than gaming and streaming, anything over like 6 cores is overkill.

But since I have to be overkill with everything, I'd have a dual Xeon board as my desktop if I had the money.

I have an FX8120 from 2012 and I can game just fine, streaming I'm not sure how it streams. As far as I know, (and I've never done it just done research on it), you game on your PC and the video output is passed through another computer which is the one streaming and transcoding so you can add graphics and all kinds of stuff. I played around with x-split a long time ago but it's pretty CPU intensive.

Maybe take your current build and make that your streaming PC, and build another one from scratch to game on

What about core distribution? Ive been reading that the Ryzen distributes it far better over all cores

>recommending i7
>in 2017

well, it's still early in Ryzen implementation and games are getting better at utilization of multicore processors. Still, check out the benchmarks online. i7 chips are still outperforming Ryzen in games. I'm actually looking to get a Ryzen setup, They look great for the stuff I want to do. but if I was just building a gaming rig (that can stream as well), I would still go with an i7

Dont really have the money to build a second PC. I have a GTX 1060 so im fine with my GPU for now

Which specific i& would you recommend? I have about $400 CAD ish willing to drop on it

if are spending that all on just a CPU and you're motherboard will accept it, an i7 7700k will give you a massive speed boost.

if you are limited to a 6000 series chip, the i7 6700k will also work very well. Check to see which of those your motherboard can handle.

I have a EVGA GTX 1060 and a MSI H110M gaming motherboard. I feel those are fine for now.

looks like it can take a i7 7700k. I'd say go with that one.

Im looking into this one.

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559&cm_re=i7-_-19-117-559-_-Product

On the MSI site all it says is I can support up to a i7. So this would be compatible then?

oh, right Canadian dollars. yeah, that will still be a massive upgrade for you.

Yea, gotta love that conversion.

Awesome man thank you

>So this would be compatible then?
according to MSI H110M mobo compatibility page, yes.
make sure you have your bios up to date enough. sometimes they aren't.

Are you an enthusiast? Or pure gamer? I5 is completely fine for most gpus unless you wanna do high resolutions which idgaf about. I have a 5820k at 4.5 oc. Enthusiasts/content creator.

That gpu so you have?