Kanye West

Is it just me or is his music going to age extremely poorly?

I just get the feeling that it's going to be considered very corny/embarrassing by future generations.

I'm more concerned about why he hasn't had his chipmunk cheeks reduced.

>Is it just me or is his music going to age extremely poorly?
It's not just you.
>I just get the feeling that it's going to be considered very corny/embarrassing by future generations.
I agree.

Yeah, I knew there was something about him that I couldn't put my finger on. He expects to be taken seriously, yet he continues to look like someone who got bullied in school.

Thing is, that could be said for all rap.

Neeeext thread

Tbh senpai I think the only reason that people pretend to like (most) rap/hip hop nowadays is because moral relativism is the primary paradigm right now, and it's impossible for something to truly suck and lack talent. People in future generations aren't going to understand it and are going to look at it like how we look at cheesy 80's dance.

Kanye has good instrumentals, but is a very bad rapper who drops lots of corny lines.
Anyways i think his cult of personality fanbase is too strong to go away unless he dies or there is some dramatic shift in rap or popular music that makes him irrelevant

Graduation is his best album tbqh. everything else after that is just edgy

I agree on his lyrics being corny but I think his instrumentals are the corniest thing about him. They're so melodramatic. Nothing makes me cringe more than melodramatic orchestral instruments being used in modern music.

It's a combination of his terrible rapping ability and how badly brickwalled the music itself is in terms of mixing/mastering.

>I just get the feeling that it's going to be considered very corny/embarrassing by future generations.

This is wrong.
His music is very corny in this generation too

Nigga, is Wu Tang embarrassing?

>His music is very corny in this generation too
Why do critics and "intellectuals" act like he's some sort of important cultural figure, then?

Most rap is pretty fucking embarrassing. The only rap that will be taken seriously in the future is the handful of it that expresses sincere emotion without evoking sonic allusions/samples/cliches. That's 99%+ of rap, and of most modern music, now that you mention it.

Wasn't that because of his car accident?

>rapper's music is a trendy product of the time and has no lasting value whatsoever
Tell me something else new
I laugh at all the newfag dumbasses on this board who think garbage rappers like Kanye and Kendrick create music that will "last". It's trendy music, nobody will like it in the future. Everyone knows that cringey white boy who thinks he's cool for listening to NWA, or other early gangster rap groups. This will fade just like that and other musical phase bands like Run DMC and the majority of the funk and soul groups of the 70s.

Off the OP topic, what modern music is going to last, in anons' opion?

this is such an obnoxious way to agree with OP lol

>opion
*opinion

It's mostly the super arrogant god Kanye which will age poorly. Additionally, humorous tracks like New Workout Plan and Gold Digger always age horribly, regardless of the artist (which is why so much of Ems catalog is trash now)

>College Dropout
Aged well IMO. Slow Jamz is still an absolute classic, and tracks like Through the Wire, All Falls Down, Spaceship and Last Call sound great. Jesus walks is a bit corny now though, I will concede that.
>Late Registration
Sounds perfectly fine to me.
>Graduation
This was always one of his worst albums anyway, but aside from Stronger, it sounds about as good as it did back in its time.
>808s
I don't really have an opinion, this one never clicked for me
>MBDTF
Still great, and even the singles (save for maybe Power) have retained their replay value
>WTT
Still a fun record, it was never meant to be great in the first place
>Yeezus
Black Skinhead is corny now, especially with the terrible music video. I disliked tracks like "I am a God" from and "New Slaves" from day one so it's not like they sound worse to me now or anything like that. The tracks I like most (Hold My Liquor, Blood on the Leaves, Guilt Trip, Bound 2) still sound good.
>TLOP
Just came out recently

i think recent mastodon will age well

Because he is. Whether you like him/his music or not, Kanye is very iconic and influential.

I believe that he's iconic and influential because he's the ultimate embodiment of a stupid shithead becoming famous and successful FOR being a stupid shithead. That, right there, is the current generation's ambition, so he's a success icon. I believe it's going to change in the future because people are going to realize that it's not economically feasible to be/live like that. It's going to cycle like that until humans go extinct.

Guess only time will tell.

I think Splendor and Misery will be pretty relevant.

808s and Heartbreak continues to age like a fine wine as more people realize its influence. Also that was almost a decade ago. I doubt this will reverse. Graduation is his only dated album so far, because it was trendy.

I don't get why his cringey lyrics must age badly? Lots of corny music ages well. Everyone in the world basically STILL listens to the Beatles and they have an entire album that is corny as fuck called sgt peppers

Sgt. Pepper isn't emotionally insincere. There are different kinds of corniness.

Kanye has very sincere tracks that are also corny, such as all falls down, bound 2, devil in a new dress, everything I am...most of his discography really. Granted there are many whose lyrics are just ridiculous one liners (good life, feedback, monster)

I think most of it will age fine. But Yeezus and TLOP will age the worst IMO.

Late Registration has aged incredibly

except for Bring Me Down but that was the worst song on the album anyways

This song make me furious. The beat starts out great and then it goes into his shittiest lyrics ever and the track is over like that. Feels like a rough draft of a better song

Within You Without You, When I'm Sixty-Four, and Lovely Rita are pretty insincere

His music will age like wine. I want you to consider the following: Everytime Kanye drops an album, it literally inspires/creates new subgenres of rap. Everything in rap is post-Kanye.

>College Dropout
Invented the idea of backpack rap; IE rapping about menial everyday shit like a part time job or retail therapy. He said it himself: "A creative way to rap without using nines or guns." His breakthrough album sounded completely different from anything that came before him. Using high-pitched chipmonk soul, and more-common-man lyrics, he founded suburban rap.

>Late Registration
College dropout part 2 electric boogaloo. It was an amazing album utilizing orchestral arrangements samples, and a more melodic approach, inspired a lot of the early 2000's rap. I also think it was a more mature project and showcased Kanye's growth as an artist.

>Graduation
Is the landmark hip-pop/stadium hip hop album. After this album dropped, all rap that came after it took a drop in lyricism, and focused more on catchy, repetitive, content. Also inspired producers that the electronica genre has good samples, and caused a resurgence of these samples. A good reason of why hip hop, as a whole, aggregately dumbed down is this album. It wasn't meant to be lyrical; it was meant to be played in large stadiums/venues. Tens of thousands of normalfags don't give a damn about complex rhyme schemes or thought-provoking imagery--they just want to hear a nice easy-to-sing-along tune. This album was catered to the U2 audience, and a lot of future projects from rap followed suit.

>808s and Heartbreak
I could go on for days about this one. It was Kanye's most important project. It's because of these projects that we have autotune rap, heartbreak-rap and was also partly responsible for bringing 808 drums at the forefront of the producer lexicon. A lot of rap is classified as "post-808 and heartbreak rap." Before this album, rappers didn't rap about relationships.

>expresses sincere emotion without evoking sonic allusions/samples/cliches.
Like kanye west?

>808s Contd
Because of this album we have a following in Drake, Kid Cudi, and other eccentrics. This album is also partly to blame for the heavily autotuned mumble rap of today. If it weren't for this album breaking the mold and telling rappers that they could rap in autotune, we wouldn't have Future, Young Thug, Lil Uzi Vert, or many others.

>MBDTF
This is currently the best rap album of all time. Nothing trumps it. The lyricism, the production, the timelessness of it all. I don't really have any way to easily describe this piece of work. It's proof that rap can indeed be art.

>Yeezus
Brought death grips' futuristic-lofi style into the limelight. After this album, rappers followed suit in utilizing lofi synths, edgy soundscapes, and raw basses. If you don't believe me, look at Run the Jewels. Even El-P admits Kanye is his favorite artist. If you listen to Yeezus then RTJ2, you'll notice a similarity in timbre. This album was also responsible for the growth of the super thottified EDMtrap genre because of the song "Blood on the Leaves."

>TLOP
Gospel rap is the only way I can describe this album. It combined lush spiritual vocals, with rap, among other things. Launched a new artist in Desiigner, made Panda go number 1, and literally fathered the sound of Chance's coloring book, which won a grammy. Culturally significant but we won't know it's full importance until a few years from now.

>MBDTF
>This is currently the best rap album of all time.

yikes

You are giving him 1000% too much credit, get off his dick. Outkast and Jay Z already made stadium rap before Kanye had any albums, and de la soul was rapping about mundane problems and self-improvement in the early 90s. What he should be given credit for is bringing a lot of cool underground ideas to the mainstream and shifting the paradigm

Youre right. I phrased it badly.
>What he should be given credit for is bringing a lot of cool underground ideas to the mainstream and shifting the paradigm
Absolutely correct.

with some songs yeah, that runaway song could have been a classic if it weren't for the douche bag line in the chorus

>this is such an obnoxious way to agree with OP lol
dude kill yourself lmao.

>calling designer an artist
your a flaming faggot

*you're

Lady Gaga's at that point, just rewatch the Bad Romance video. If it was going to happen to Kanye, it would have happened already.

>considered very corny/embarrassing
Anyone who knows Kanye is shit already knows this

nah boy

You clearly don't know him well enough.
There is a method to his madness.
Maybe if you watched his Zane Lowe interviews you would comprehend him greater, but fuck this thread in general.
His music will stand the test of time factually, and he is one of the most important celebrities of all time once you dumb shits take the time to get to know him. Y'all just Cognitive Dissonance, he's larger than you folks anyways.

>he's larger than you folks anyways.
That is until our values are forced to change due to circumstances out of our control. Whether he's being "ironic" or not, he's still a stupid asshole.

He's fucking trash and youre a pleb.

Mhm.
And you two will be insignificant worms all your lives.
Meanwhile, using his influence, not only will I change the world politically, but I am going to write the best essay the universe has ever seen on him.
I'll transcend every paradigm imaginable.

Maybe I'll be an insignificant worm, sure, but if someone came out who's equal or greater in talent to him, but actually treats people with respect and not like an insecure little child, then they'll shadow him.

>corny/embarrassing
It was the moment he put it out.

BITCH THIS AIN'T CHIPOTLE
WIFEY GON KILL ME SHE DA FEMALE O J

>musicians need to be good people >:(
>who are Cocteau Twins, Sonic Youth, The Smiths, U2, etc.

>And you two will be insignificant worms all your lives
And kanye will still be shit. Only agreeable morons with shit taste think hes good.

>kanye
>musician
Good one

this was such an obnoxious way to disagree with user lol

It's aging fine and will continue to age fine in the eyes of the majority and in terms of music history/nerds like us. Everyone's opinion is different, naturally, but like we dont need to speculate much about all but the most recent records--if they had an expiration date we would've seen it by now. Of course they'll gather a little dust over a long course of time but even the best records do that, and it doesn't prevent the mastery and emotion from shining through.

i have no clue what this guy is talking about though

It's shit and is corny now

Imagine unironically listening to Kanye West in 2017

>I agree on his lyrics being corny but I think his instrumentals are the corniest thing about him
dude you have no idea how well put together Kanye's beats are, at least appreciate the craftsmanship

Graduation will why the only album that lasts.

Listen to Can't Tell Me Nothing and try not to rap along with it. Same with every other song besides Drunk and Hot Girls and Big Brother

>this is such an obnoxious way to agree with OP lol
I agree.

Protip: It already aged to shit years ago, that's why he has to keep putting out new stuff, because none of his old stuff holds up

Yeah, he had to get his jaw sealed shut with wires

>>College Dropout
>Aged well
I 100% agree, I actually only got into his music recently, beforehand I'd heard his popular stuff, but I liked this too.

why has Sup Forums forsaken what has been essential Sup Forumscore for so long...

It was always garbage, rapfags forced the kanye meme

>black skinhead
>corny

B-but like can we get m-much higher

Stop