TV Ratings: VMAs Plummet on MTV, Sister Networks

>MTV’s Video Music Awards may have been the talk of Twitter Sunday night, but the music show failed to draw a television audience on par with past installments.

>The 2016 VMAs, featuring performances by Beyoncé, Rihanna and Britney Spears, among others, drew 6.5 million total viewers across MTV and 10 Viacom-owned sister networks, according to Nielsen live-plus-same day numbers. That’s down 34% from last year’s roadblock telecast across the same 11 channels.

>Last year was the first in which the VMAs were carried on all Viacom’s cable channels. The 2015 version’s cumulative live-plus-same day audience was down 3% from the year prior, when the awards show was carried on MTV, VH1 and MTV2.
variety.com/2016/tv/news/tv-ratings-vmas-plummet-mtv-1201846812/

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H5NqIsnyTG8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>cable

Why would someone watch a music award show on a channel that hasn't played music in over a decade?

Wish I had come up with this good diatribe, but someone who posted a comment on the Variety website beat me to it:

No surprise. MTV is now nothing more than African-worshipping idiocy.

And the “music” they push is absolute crap. I guess that’s why it’s called “cRap.” Bunch of mind-numbing jungle beats by people too untalented to even play any musical instrument, and from a people whose sole claim to musical instrument invention is the childish and annoying kazoo.

With its retard-level, IQ-lowering cRap “music” and the primitive jungle gyrations of simian-like hand gestures and the absolute lack of subtlety or artistry with the copulation-mimicry of jungle twerking of “hippity hop,” MTV is an amalgam of Idiocracy with Planet of the Apes.

>went went wrong
What year did MTV stop showing music and started showing reality shit no one gave a fuck about?

What little music MTV chooses to show nowadays is homogenous. Kids will listen to it, but they'll care less and less who "wins"a "moonman".

The performance list was complete trash. Pop and hiphop and NOTHING else. if this is what teens are listening to these days, we're fucked.

Mainstream music has another five years to reboot itself before it finally puffs out of existence and we're left with the vast desert of niche markets on the internet. no one gets to be top dog anymore.

Was it streamed live on youtube? If not then they could have doubled their audience. Kids don't watch TV anymore

That's what you get when you throw awards at black """"artists""""

I can't speak for anyone else but I don't give a shit about anyone performing at the VMAs, and I doubt anyone I care about is nominated for anything either.

The VMAs are for kids and kids are moving beyond tv. They're the Internet generation

They really do need to find a model that allows them to stream it for free while also being able to make money off it

Music sucks now.

/thread

becuase Adult Swim and Nickelodeon took its mojo that MTV just seemingly left out with the trash.

Also nobody watches TV any more except for sports and maybe local news

everyones too busy watching netflix
hulu
amazon
going to the theatre
going to local music shows
or just pirating shit.

This is spot on

Commercials?

Honestly mainstream music is too black now. Even most of the white artists are emulating what blacks are doing. Not interested.

The fact that MTV awarded Rihanna with the Micheal Jackson Video Vangarud award should let you know just how shit this award show has come. Man I wish people gave a shit about makin music videos

They mat as well have had a harambe hologram come out on stage shucking and jiving to some retarded oversaturated ableton bass jungle beats while wearing beatz by dre and drinking colt 45 to present the most black artist award and gave a 45 minute speech about how blacks should rise up and kill all white people to avenge his death

oh you must have missed Alicia Keyes speech

>have music award show
>don't make a tribute to David Bowie or Prince
What the fuck happen to MTV?

Give daddy the cliff notes.

Spoon feed babby, what did the dumb bitch say

Why put it on all the channels they own? They're all basic cable channels right? It's not like someone who has one doesn't also have MTV.

You know, MTV is a lot like Detroit. A long time ago it was a vibrant and flourishing city, now look at it. There's a common denominator here.

I was around when MTV hit cable. It was great. Years later, you had these black SJW (sjw wasn't really a term back then, but you get the idea) moan about there being no black artist on MTV. I'd say around the late '80 they began to showcase more black acts - that started the downhill slide. Sadly, as the years passed, MTV became less about music videos - and what videos they did show started to become primarily r&b / rap videos.

Prince wasn't down with the illuminati, who owns MTV

their target audience don't know who those people are
maybe they could do prince since he was dark skinned, but even then, everyone would just be thinking "prince who?"

As true as it is, they could have said it at any point in the past 20 years and have been right.

name one good music video in the past year

DEY DON WUN SEE US GET AHEAD MMMMM HMMMMMMMM

DEY DON WUN TO WATCH OUR SHOW AND SHEEEEEIT WERE WE CALL DEM WHITE DEVIL AND BLAME DEM FOR ALL OUR PWOBLEMS AND SHEEEIT RACISTS

how much do you have to pay in the most basic cable package to watch Mtv?

*smacks lips*
yo yo yo yo ayoooooo dats kinda raycis, cracka

Had you heard the last Metallica Single?
The biggest touring band in the world just made a single that wasnt MTV friendly, at all. When a band that has sold over 100 million albums has ZERO confidence a music channel will put the video it means the industry is beyond saving. MTV didnt even did a tribute to Bowie.

What did she say

I tried googling it but all I found were dozens of articles talking about her not wearing make up

>giving a single fuck for music video award ceremonies

Why was it popular in the first place?

Metallica is pure garbage

HOOO
HYEA-HYEA

People still watch mTV? Have they made any decent content since the 00s?

oh oh oh
don't forget 16 and pregnant

>MTV’s Video Music Awards may have been the talk of Twitter Sunday night
>but the music show failed to draw a television audience on par with past installments.

The demographics that follows this types of events are clearly mostly made up of teens and young adults in their twenties
The event was very popular on social media but not much on TV but that doesn't mean it didn't have a huge following
It means that younger populations don't watch as much TV as the older ones

All these faggots projecting about shit music and awarding black people is what gone wrong should off themselves

That's not the point you dumbass. The point is a 100 million seller band thinks MTV won't put their new single.

Then there's this faggot...

other than the odd tv series
like that one cop show in a town infested with monsters and shit.

If that was true it would have been the case even years ago. That being said there were still more whites performing at the awards. Also, the awards are a reflection of what's popular.

That's it.

bowie?

>I was around when MTV hit cable. It was great. Years later, you had these black SJW
Ah yes, the (((black people))) are behind this.

Hi Tyrone.

Rap is low IQ shit music for thirteen year old whites and grown adult blacks.

>the awards are a reflection of what's popular.

But they are not, that's the problem. MTV doesnt reflect what is sells, it reflect what they WANT to sell. This isnt even Jeresey Shore's MTV, this is BLMtv. They jews went crazy and are trying to rebrand their shitty channel as SJW bait.

>tfw you post in Sup Forums but dont watch tv anymore
I even dropped my cable subscription

Vorekino coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=H5NqIsnyTG8

>featuring performances by Beyoncé, Rihanna and Britney Spears

I'm pretty out of touch with today's music, but shouldn't somebody have replaced these people by now?

I haven't had cable in 2 years
I just watched binge watch shit these days

>shouldn't somebody have replaced these people by now?
They might have, if anyone bothered to work on the things they create any more.

Ok? That's a great projection

But we are not talking about rap music here?
This thread is about the decline of watching television among younger audiences

>salty racists

I didn't even know that there were an award show going on? Usually, MTV holds a big campaign and I didn't even see one ad this year even though I live in one of the biggest cities in the US. I don't recall one ad this year.

Also, I do agree that MTV shot themselves in the foot with no Bowie and Prince tributes and for focusing less on music videos.

>when you're right you're right

But country music is for genius elites? Fuck off you hypocritical twat.

But all the nominees reflect what's on Billboard and have the most amount of views on YouTube?!?!

Also, black people have always been on the MTV music awards. Now all of a sudden they are trying to be SJW bait by featuring the same ones they always do and the most popular ones?!

> I guess that’s why it’s called “cRap.

I have heard it. As long as they don't go lower than they did on St. Anger they can count on my plays.

And you're absolutely right. But the bigger problem is that there aren't any Millennial rock bands like Metallica. The trend is dying, and that's really not good.

It's all black people's fault.

You either agree with my point or you're a part of the problem.

ok, kid.

She recited a "poem" she wrote that was on a 5th grader level

>no bowie or prince tributes

fucking A i didn't even realize that. holy fuck.

Rihanna's music video with Mads Mikkelsen just because he's in it.

Huh?

I don't like or care about Country music at all. But honestly at least people in that genre actually play instruments and sing about something positive.

Rap is literally: the poorest, lowest IQ members of an already poor, low IQ underclass mindlessly ranting tacky consumerist, ignorance-celebrating "songs" over cheap computer beats.

This "rebellious" music is then packaged by international corporations and sold to kids who are going through that particular phase in life.

This seems to be a problem with popular music as a whole:
Can you name any young up-and-coming pop stars? I really can't.

completely forgot prince died to be honest

Justin Bieber
Nick Jonas
Ariana Grande
Demi Lovato
One Direction
Jaden Smith
Troye Sivan

I don't actually know. I'm just throwing out names that sound right to feel relevant. I'm only 25 and I feel like I've aged out of pop culture entirely. One of those is right I'm sure of it. Help me.

tfw i only know 3 of those people and only because of Sup Forums

Would rather listen to trash tier rappers then metallica lmao. This isn't early 2000's highschool

Cable sucks dick,
This most rap/hiphop sucks
An this This too what the fuvk

your spoiler text aside, actually all of those are already established, except jaden smith who's a punchline. alessia cara is probably the only one i can think of. most of them these days are youtube stars.

ITT: Old lonely white men who dont understand modern music.

Stick to rock n roll and glam rock grandpas

S-shut up

fine with me. you can have your computer sex music, kiddo.

t. a. wyatt mann

Yes please. At least all my fav artist still tour. U ever gonna get to see lynrd skynrd gramps?

>When you go full pol
Hes not wrong at least

But the only mainstream rapper worth anything is Kendrick and even he's overrated.

i hate lynyrd skynyrd.

enjoy getting your pink little anus cored in the jay-z parking lot.

>"modern music"
> music

You mean the songs that are mostly written and produced by white men. On labels started and run by mostly white men. On a station created by white men. In a building (MSG) built and owned by white men. On cable companies run by white men. On the Internet created, developed and throughly dominated by white men. On a Malaysian booger picking message board created by a white man. In a language developed by white men.

Sure Tyrone, whatever you think is right. If I were you I'd get dressed, the welfare office opens at 9.

>cRap
Wow buddy, so witty. You've cracked the Davinci code or something.

Kendrick is trash, "muh conscious hip hop. Hes so deep"

>enjoy never being able to relate to strangers on topics

Not that you will ever need to virgin

This. Holy shit, this thread is cringy as fuck. It's a bunch of "music was better in muh youth" grandpa bitching.

keep telling yourself that. are there any old white men even on Sup Forums? i'd guess the ages range into the 30s and 40s and drop off precipitously.

Don't lump good rap in with new rap. Rap now is completely corporate, take a look back to the 80s and early 90s for songs with actual weight behind the lyrics.

>putting Britney on after that Beyonce bit
>an already underwhelming performance now looks just fucking sad
poor girl will an hero within days, I guarantee it

You mean a bunch of white and asian 20-year olds mocking the low-rated SJW produced Ooga booga fest that was the VMAs?

Too many nig nogs I thought I was watching the b.e.t. awards

Now contemplate the fact that everyone you named has been in the business since the '00s and we're closer to the '20s

The VMA's much like TRL made more sense when music videos actually meant something and wasn't some Scandi cuck pushing buttons to make machine noises

No the records industry is ignoring young white males

>Even most of the white artists are emulating what blacks are doing. Not interested.
You mean like fucking Elvis?

>YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE

Thats ironic because people on here love kanye west yet he critizised beck for getting an award despite the fact beck,unlike him, can play several instruments.

Because in the late 80's or early 90's it was the only to see certain artist perform on live tv.

Now you got the same artist that play the grammys on vma's

Bunch of jungle music. Nothing but noise.

But I'm 18 and hate mainstream pop

The only people who see it as more than a novelty are literal speds and low IQs, at least based off what I've observed

niche music is the future, more and more people are seeking self AND social validation by listening to more niche and experimental artists

In school, people who take artists like Drake seriously are almost always considered losers by most of grade, i mean i can't speak for lower grades but that's just how it is

Who cares about Elvis?

Let's see a Dindu reach the level of Mozart or Bach.

The VMAs are literally for children. They get barely more than 1% of the American population watching them. They take the bottom 10% of America (blacks) and push their cheap beat music on young white suburban kids. It's selling "rebellion."

Those kids all eventually grow up and realize the truth.