Slowdive vs. MBV

Which is a better comeback?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y2FQ3ih0MoE
youtube.com/watch?v=w4X5Erfd7wI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

MBV

MBV

The Slowdive album is seriously overrated af. If it was released under the Mojave 3 monkier nobody would care about it.

Slowdive

MBV by a large margin

mbv

haha mbv no question

MBV by far

MBV

mbv

this is a meme, right?

...right?

Ride

m b v

Slowdive, and it's not even a debate. While MBV has higher highs, a lot of it feels unnecessary (I'm looking at you Nothing Is) or goes on for way too long with little to no payoff. Slowdive s/t feels much more concise, despite only being a few minutes shorter. I suppose Falling Ashes is a bit of a disappointing finale for some, but as a whole, in my eyes the album is dream pop goodness through and through. And when it comes down to it, isn't that what Slowdive has always been about? (Even Pygmalion, which takes more from post-rock than it does shoegaze/dream pop, is at it's core a generally catchy album). Plus, at least Slowdive made an attempt to change their sound. MBV, as good as it is, could easily have been released a year or two after Loveless.

Melody's Echo Chamber

Take your contrarian opinion out back pls

mbv easily

C A L I
Summer is gone

oh wait

slowdive

Slowdive

Said no one ever

it's a lot closer than this thread is making it seem.

mbv is slightly better. slowdive gets a little stale and has less range in energy. mbv album is also hipper in terms of grooves/parts. mbv better sound/aesthetic. slowdive ticks more 'good album-making decision' boxes.

MBV but Slowdive is my AOTYSF

I don't listen to slowdive but anything is better than MBV

m b v is more exploratory I think but Slowdive is more consistent. Both do different things and I think both are successful at their own game. That said, I think I slightly prefer m b v but it's close.

>I suppose Falling Ashes is a bit of a disappointing finale for some

Nah, it's like the album's lone nod to Pygmalion. It's cool.

>MBV, as good as it is, could easily have been released a year or two after Loveless.

Yes, but only the first third sounds like a retread/sequel to Loveless. The latter two-thirds spends its time more or less deconstructing the Loveless sound.

Weather Diaries.

It's good but its the weakest of three. I know Ride was never about the vocals, but they really don't hold up well.

Slowdive > m b v > Weather Diaries

Wow you guys liked mbv that much? Maybe it went over my head. Slowdive, on the other hand, that shit REALLY spoke to me

All I wanted out of m b v was Isn't Anything-tier songwriting with Loveless-tier production.

youtube.com/watch?v=y2FQ3ih0MoE

I can forgive the back 2/3rds deviation from the winning formula just for this one track. I got what I wanted.

There is a lot to be said for Slowdive's conciseness. Not just in literal duration but on precision of tone and feeling throughout the album. It really was something special.

mbv

How did people feel about pic related? It was just an EP but I think Lush came back with at least an assurance that they could still Lush. Out Of Control in particular was pretty damn good.

M B V

It's a textbook example of how to follow up a great album. Add something new to the sound (keyboards, drum n' bass grooves, more noise rock) to prevent it from being the inferior Loveless Part 2 while keeping the fundamentals of the winning formula intact.

Slowdive? It just sounds like a bad version of their first album, which wasn't that good in the first place.

>It just sounds like a bad version of their first album

Funny, Just For A Day is the one album of theirs I would confidently say this new album is better than. I think it very nearly equals Souvlaki and Pygmalion when judged on quality and removed completely from their legacy. Hell, I'd say it's a more consistently good record than either of them, it just doesn't reach their highs.

youtube.com/watch?v=w4X5Erfd7wI
She Found Now is my shoegaze track of the decade

mbv was nothing special and imo fell flat on expectations
1-2 listens and I had no desire to ever go back to it, while I can still go back to Loveless all the time

Slowdive's new s/t was fantastic, like they were able to pick up where they left off but iterate on it and make something new (unlike mbv), and is easily a better comeback album than mbv,

Slowdive

Still interesting how their sound evolved (and realizing how many modern shoegaze bands were influenced by them)

MBV is good, but no drastic evolution

bumpo

Slowdive's album is actually memorable and cohesive. m b v isn't much more than a sad comp of lost b-sides. Still, though, both are unnecessary and weren't worth the wait.

why