Does a more disrespected classic exist?

Does a more disrespected classic exist?
>Record Label fucks track listing up
>People fail to mention it when talking Neo-Psych or Psych Pop
>About to fall into the top 200's on RYM
>Ranked below Blackstar

the vinyl tracklist is pure kino

I used to like it a lot, but it wore itself out after awhile. I mean it's good, but it's nothing groundbreaking.

it really is though

If you honestly believe that, you need to listen to more music.

You used the word groundbreaking. Its influence on indie music is massive.

How so, user?
It's the most heralded Neo-Psych record ever made.
When has What Is The Light? ever had competition in the genre??

its a good album, not THAT amazing
I guess maybe I've just grown bored of it, since I used to consider it an all time fave and think it was a masterpiece. I've learnt that it's just okay

Influential =/= groundbreaking

(me)
didn't see this post
pretty much this

they are not mutually exclusive, ever.

I can't fathom how someone could think Yoshimi is better than Bulletin.

Also stop caring about RYM.

this honestly. while i love this album theres no point in labeling this the best album ever even if you think it's your absolute perfect favorite album. when shit like weezer, tame impala, mac demarco, greenday, etc. is talked about non stop, it really makes you realize that people here don't listen to a lot of music or music that they've never heard before. the flaming lips are still a band with a big cult following and a couple big hits but their music is far more diverse than a lot of their indie rock/pop contemporaries, or a at least they were. if everyone started regarding the soft bulletin, it would start pushing the standard too high for what it really is

I like Yoshimi more
I'm a huge flips fan aswell
I suppose I just enjoy the music on Yoshimi more and have a better time listening to Yoshimi
bearing in mind I used to consider Bulletin my favourite album of all time

For me it was the other way around. Yoshimi used to be my favorite of all time but The Soft Bulletin dethroned it eventually.

The normie obsession with Do You Realize may have been a factor.

lol fair enough. At least we can both agree that they've made amazing music

it´s not a classic.

Nobody outside of this generation of indie-lover-nu-male give a shit about it. It will go down in nostalgia with them like so many oth er albums then and now.

It's shit though

>influencing indie music

why does this classic never get any credit?

>People fail to mention it when talking Neo-Psych or Psych Pop
because it's not really significant to those styles

Best tracklisting for Soft Bulletin?

>The second half of It Overtakes Me
Race for the prize
A spoonful weighs a ton
The spark that bled
Slow motion
The spiderbite song
Buggin'
What is the light?
The observer
Waitin' for a superman
Suddenly everything has changed
The gash
Feeling yourself disintegrate
Sleeping on the roof

it's the same song 14x.

This. Vinyl track listing is perfect.

Kinda makes me mad that its the only version to have all the songs, and slow motion isn't even available on american streaming services.

I have a theory.
Do you guys reckon that this album is more ignored because the strings are from a keyboard?
In comparison to cellos and violins like Illinois and MBDTF?

I'll never forget the night I ended things with the girl I loved more than anyone I ever had in my life...I was driving in my car at night, and listened to "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate" and could feel inside me my feelings for her start to completely and irreversibly fall apart....fucking shit.

This album is kind of special in how earnest it is to be honest.

anyone else like this?

came here to post this

Does a more shitty classic exist?

This is a very very good album, it makes me like Ocxy Mlody more than i might have

Nah I like how the keyboards sound

I kinda liked it. 6.5/10 for me. It's a little too cheesy for my tastes.

i'd say the decline in reputation of bands like Flaming Lips and Modest Mouse are a testament to how overstaying your welcome can really fuck up your past "legendary" status.

But should it, man?
I don't know.
Look at The Beach Boys for example.

Yeah, bruh. It's p dope.
I honestly prefer Mystics to Bulletin but I must say that the latter really should get much more credit for all the adventurous production and ushering in a new period of psychedelic music.

i don't think it should... and i think what i'm saying is probably an oversimplification (the strokes still have indie-god status from only one "legendary" album). i don't really know why some bands can last forever off of a couple good albums while for others the bad stuff retroactively hurts their reputation. U2 for example was massively critically acclaimed and cool for its time and all the big-room indie acts cite them as an influence, but their reputation is basically a meme.

Not even in the band's Top 10 and they aren't even that relevant of a band

This.
I'm more inclined to like bands that enormous discographies with the inevitable duds. The Beach Boys, Prince, and Bob Dylan have a lot of hidden gems and unique works they otherwise wouldn't have been brave enough to make if they were self-conscious about being "perfect."

But most of the Flips recent albums have been pretty good.

Gen Z'ers don't have respect for anything so it's not surprising.

Just look for a mega download of the definitive version in the archive famalam.

Idk, this faggot seems to get some respect

nice trips but blackstar shits all over this album

Yeah, it's called music before 1910.

Blackstar (2016), 4/10
As usual with Bowie, Blackstar (RCA, 2016), produced again by Tony Visconti,, is mostly image and very little about the music. The ten-minute Blackstar, that was supposed to be the centerpiece, is little more than a funereal litany a` la Doors with jazz horns that goes on five minutes too many. Bowie crooning melodramatic in Lazarus (from his Broadway musical about an alien who falls in love) or romantic in Dollar Days is either delirious and pathetic, certainly not entertaining. His tedious voice interferes with the driving jazz jam of 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore and with the frenzied and tense Sue (a 2014 single). Even when the voice is not a distraction, the rest is hardly intriguing: I Can't Give Everything Away boasts an awful distorted guitar against syncopated beats and layers of electronic drones: not exactly genius. This is trivial "music" that any amateur could make, except that most amateurs would be ashamed to release it.

Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.

>scruffi said it
>i believe it
>that settles it

It's probably just due to how younger generations see them. U2 got a bad rep because people got tired of Bono and for a lot of younger people that's all you'd know them for. Wayne is similar, do young even know The Flaming Lips or is Wayne just that old guy who hangs around with Miley Cyrus and makes bad music with her? Do young people only know of Modest Mouse as "that 'Float On'
band?”

I bet in 10 years everyone who is 25 to 35 now will have to tell their kids "No! Arcade Fire really meant something at one point! And there was this band called TV On The Radio! Listen to this playlist! The Walkmen were important!"

TV on the Radio and the Walkmen are already incredibly irrelevant bands that younger millennials and certainly Gen Zers have no memories of whatsoever. Spoon might fit that category, too, though they have a couple singles that still get alt rock radio play. Arcade Fire still releases music and has maintained some level of popularity, even though I think those age groups might not get how big of a deal Funeral was at the time.

Oh yeah I know, I was just trying to remember some bands that were once "the next big thing," I probably should have said people 30 to 40.

The Walkmen still hold up btw. TVOTR... ehhh

I don't think the Flaming Lips have reached U2 levels yet.They're still making good music (give or take Oczy Mlody) and are relatively popular in slightly niche circles. Wayne is seemingly having a midlife crisis, but Steve is who it's really all about anyways

There have been threads here on Sup Forums that call Wilco dadrock which makes me feel old as fuck and I'm only 28 (which I know is way too old for this board)

As a slightly older person it's really hard to guage now, because The Flaming Lips will still headline festivals when they play but I'm pretty certain younger kids don't care about them, so I have no idea how big they really are. Same with the aforementioned Modest Mouse, when they did a co-headlining tour with Brand New I was so confused but I guess Brand New is classic if you're young enough, but man MM was such a huge fucking deal after Lonesome Crowded West and M&A... shit I'm a drunk and old hipster, anyway.

clouds taste metallic and transmissions are both better

People give me shit for sticking with the 5.1/demastered tracklisting but I just love Buggin' as a closer. Brings the album's tone full circle.

Any picks from their stuff pre-Soft Bulletin worth listening to?

There's a loyal local following here in OKC at the very least. Saw em three-four times in 2011 and it was always a packed house except the NYE show at the smaller arena which was mostly crowded on the flour and small packs of peeps in the seats.

There's a few songs from hit to death in the future head and clouds taste metallic I like. halloween on the barbary coast and psychiatric explorations of the fetus with needles come to mind.