The entire film about bad guy killing people for no reason

>the entire film about bad guy killing people for no reason
Why is this rated so high?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JtL_AZA3q0Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because its directed superbly with a strong amount of visual flair and suspense.
Its a exorcise in restraint and subtly.

>no reason
Did you not see him escape from the asylum? Did you not listen to fucking Dr.loomis rant on and on and ON about how he spent fucking years trying to see what was wrong and tried to fix him and came to the conclusion that he's just evil

I refuse to believe anyone unironically thinks it is a well made film.

Jesus Christ it plays out like a fucking comedy due to how bad just about everything is

> why is thing popular, *I* didn't like it

this isn't Sup Forums you millennial shitstain

>no reason
Stopped reading right there

Nice show us your ID that shows you were born before 80s

>Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and use the mid-1990s to the early 2000s as final birth years for the Millennial Generation.

It's a film that's unintentionally hilarious, fucking autistic workman chasing people to kill for no reason

Can just imagine some retard edgelord writing this with a boner lmao

So, literally for no reason?

> I need serious characterization in my slasher movies or my autism is triggered

Way to deflect, you overly sensitive 00's babby. Gb2/v/.

>Get told
>d-d-deflect

But there is literally nothing bad about it.

It's unintentionally hilarious comedy about some autistic dude wearing janitor suit

I can't fucking think of being scared or thrilled during this

Watched this recently, it's a pathetic fucking joke. The only good things about it were some of the nighttime shots that looked nice and the killer's mask.

>terrible terrible acting
>like 1 suspense track that at one point would make me laugh every time it started playing
>that downright comical scene where Myers hijacks the car
>55+ minutes of literally nothing happening
I feel bad about every ebin experd movie guy who tries to defend this overrated turd.

>>that downright comical scene where Myers hijacks the car
Fucking this, well except only reason why it was comical was because of how fucking badly shot it was

Have you ever even seen a horror movie before? Is this your first one?

samefag

You got me.

>Redditor can't even check the IP count of the thread.

Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist are both far better films. While Exorcist might step into unintentionally hilarious, at least it is well made.

Like pointed out the film is riddled with absolutely shit tier 'acting' and some of the scenes look atrocious (the carjacking best example)

Michale is a represnatation of unexplained evil in this world, sometimes really bad things happen, and we can't really explain them or figure out why they happened. The idea that one a kid in an upperclass suburbs could just snap and stab his sister to death in cold blood is one of the ost terrifying things in the world. Terrifying both be uase it is something that happnes all the time, and there's no way to see it coking or stop it.

You can never truly escape evil. no matter what the characters in the film do michael just keeps coming.

Also the film is a tour-de-force of filmmaking.

It's well directed and really kickstarted the slasher genre; also the kickass score and almost lack of blood altogether.

>Also the film is a tour-de-force of filmmaking.
Unless you start to giggle and laugh your fucking face off at 40 year old teenager and Michael stealing that car and other terribly filmed scenes

>Just keeps coming.
at least Terminator made it right (and before you say it was influenced by Halloween, I already knew that)

*michael
*the idea that one day a kid
*most
*because

Jesus I need to slow down.

What is more terrifying? Some sympathetic villain that has a good reason for his crimes, or an unstoppable being of pure evil?

Sometimes a lack of character development can be better, especially with villains, because it is left up to our imagination. That's why the joker doesn't have a real origin story because it will justn end up being disappointing.

Maybe at the time it was considered scary but it doesn't hold up well at all, probably because it helped pioneer all the slasher cliches that every shit horror film uses as a crutch. Similar films around the same time like Texas chainsaw and even carpenters own the thing are much better but this film definitely deserves a place in history

nice thread you fucking faggot

>Texas chainsaw and even carpenters own the thing are much better
Fucking this.

And films Halloween influenced like Terminator were much better while practically being the same film.

It's really influential (amateur?) film but I cannot say that I like it in anyway.

I also thought it was a comedy. The acting was atrocious but I can live with it. It's the idiotic things people do that turned it from a horror to a comedy for me.

Basically it's a decent horror/comedy made with a very low budget from the 70s that has good atmosphere and good music. Other than that I didn't see much else going for it. Also not sure why it's so highly rated. Seems to be the case with quite a few John Carpenter movies.

You clearly didnt read my post.

>Unless you start to giggle and laugh your fucking face off at 40 year old teenager and Michael stealing that car and other terribly filmed scenes

I never said the film was perfect and ill concede that the fact taht michael knew how to drive a car ddint make much sense. you clearly didn't understand what I meant by a tour-de-force of filmmaking. I meant that the way tension is handled in the film is truly revolutionary.

There arent any "terribly filmed scenes" in Halloween. I don't even know how you could come to this conclusion.

>Terminator made it right (and before you say it was influenced by Halloween, I already knew that)

Jesus christ, the terminator is a machine from the future, every single sane person isn't afraid about an evil machine coming back to kill them, becuase thats just so outlandish and would never happen.

You wanna know what does happen? People going crazy and murdering their family for no reason, or at least a poorly defined reason. No matter how protected and sheltered you think you are horrific tradegies like this happen all the time.

why doesn't he run

Cause he knows that they can't escape him.

The Thing is better no question, that doesn't mean Halloween isn't fucking great also.

>I meant that the way tension is handled in the film is truly revolutionary.
I wasn't tensed not once when all I could think of just how bad everyone was acting, how hilarious Michael was. At least that's not (sort of) point in Texas Chainsaw Massacre where people just drop dead if they go towards the house and there is no 'build up' of tension, they just see the butcher door and get killed, , no long windup, but wasn't what Halloween was trying to do, they wanted drawn out tension and shit and I was honestly smirking at how stupid some of the scenes were.

But the acting isn't bad at all.

*subtlety

dubs don't lie

But it wasn't stupid at all. Not one scene was lacking intelligence.

>underage faggots get so triggered by the term "millennial" that they've got a Webster's definition bookmarked for copy pasting

If you weren't really sensitive about your age, you wouldn't even acknowledge this shit. I know because I also couldn't resist taking bait when I was sixteen.

youtu.be/JtL_AZA3q0Q
Oh but it is.

>Get told
>deflect this hard.
nice1

sure the screenplay might've been good but the way it executed was pretty shit

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, while it is a horror masterpiece, is not really comparable to Halloween.

Sure they're both about guys in masks that kill teenagers, but they go about building tension and scaring the audience in different ways.

You clearly know very little about tension and filmmaking if you thought there was no tension in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I can go into it if you want me to, but your saying there is no "build-up" is very indicative of you not knowing anything about filmmaking.

You keep saying Halloween is laughable without providing any examples, so could you provide some examples? Ill admit some of the side actor or just decent, but none are laughably bad. And why were tou smirking at how stupid some of the scenes where?

>That honk honk
my fucking sides I can't watch this film without laughing my ass off at how campy it is

Pioneer of its time, if it seems out of place now it's because it originated many of the horror tropes that may seem overused today.

How fucking hard is it for millennials to understand that films evolve? Is Psycho bad too because LOL COMICAL SCENES TERRIBLE ACTING HEHEHEHE

Yes.

Bad acting is bad acting. Miscasting is miscasting.

No matter the date the film was recorded, retard.

Not him, but people aren't terrified of things in movies because they seem realistic. By your standards the thing would be a shitty horror movie. Most fear is irrational. I'm not entirely sure why people get scared by movies, but I think it's all to do with the quality of the filmmaking. Because if the movie doesn't work on a technical level people would not be so afraid of a man in a latex mask.

Wow your opinions on films that were considered revolutionary at the time they were released and are still regarded by many as revolutionary are really great user, maybe you should start a blog to share your equally revolutionary views on cinema.

Is that a real question? The first is far scarier, assuming competent writers. "He's just evil" is like something from a kids cartoon or comic.

I found Halloween funny/silly yet was terrified watching Psycho.

>Sometimes a lack of character development can be better, especially with villains, because it is left up to our imagination.
That's boring. Let's show how he was a whinny chubby kid with long hair before becoming EEEEEVUUULLLL

Halloween just popularized a bunch of things that had already been done by previous slashers, there wasn't really anything new or revolutionary about it.

He didn't have any character development in the remake either though. He had no personality as a kid. Everything with the masks and his family was just paper-thin bullshit inexplicably stretched out for 30 minutes.

Of course its the quality of the filmmaking that matters, I said that in my post.

The Thing might be scary will you're watching it, becuase you're vicariously living through Kurt Russell and the other people at the base, but once the film is over you have no real reason to still be aftiad of it. Sure you might be afraid to be alone in the dark a few days after you finish watching it, but it doesnt take long to get over it.

Halloween on the other hand is something that you can never escape even when you finish watching it. Because, as ive said a hundred times, its something we hear about all the time. Something that's all to real, and with no way to see it coming or stop it.

He said that the terminator did the "unstoppable killer" better than Halloween (which is completwly incorrect btw) so I told him why he was wrong. A lot of my favorite horror films are really outlandish, like The Possession, Eraserhead, and The Shining, and yes I am scared by them, but Halloween is a masterpiece because it shows the true evils of the world.

Well that and its one of the best made horror movies of all time.

I'm sorry but it's filled with shit acting and miscasts. Good films don't suffer from this just pick Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or Breathless whatever actually good old film. Fucking Texas Chainsaw Massacre for example.

I agree with you. It may not stand up to the test of time as well as it used to but there's no denying its influence. It's a simple plot, with a simple villain, but creates a rich atmosphere that filmmakers today WISH they could replicate

>He said that the terminator did the "unstoppable killer" better than Halloween (which is completwly incorrect btw) so I told him why he was wrong
I was spooked of Arnold.
I was laughing at hilarious janitor murdering people.

Halloween failed. Terminator did not.

You are wrong.

>What is context
This came out in 1978 and was considered pretty original at the time. Stripped down horror with a mysterious, undefinable villain instead of a creature or something of the like.

Black Christmas and Texas Chainsaw did it first and better (imo), but to truly appreciate it you have to consider the cinematic climate when it came out.

It's like talking about Blair Witch Project and calling it "just another found footage film."

When it came out, there were no other found footage films.

>spooked by a sci fi movie
Lmaoooo

Wow, you must be a b8ting faggot. Halloween is a legitimate good movie, well made and has an amazing atmosphere.

>Amazing atmosphere.
Laughable*

Wtf is wrong with that user arguing Halloween is something that "could happen anytime/to anyone"? Wtf I ain't scared of my siblings suddenly bugging out and massacring me, or a psycho murderer running around the neighbourhood. Not realistic at all.

Probably some Amerishit

They have family members do that

It's a family sport there

How can you fear something you understand?

i-its shit but its good because of when it came out. No user, a shit movie is a shit movie no matter when it came out.

I would recommend the film funny games(US version) if you enjoyed halloween
It has a similar theme of evil being in people that seem ordinary and it is shot really well