What's the most pretentious song ever made?

What's the most pretentious song ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hD6_QXwKesU
youtube.com/watch?v=VOgFZfRVaww
m.soundcloud.com/dante-jason
youtu.be/0oCqPDngrgM?t=57m13s
youtube.com/watch?v=oB0_SZggxhs
youtube.com/watch?v=zv-I-CNv3JI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the entire album too
youtube.com/watch?v=hD6_QXwKesU

The Sound of Silence by John Cage.

youtube.com/watch?v=VOgFZfRVaww
It's like this song is purposely appealing to the dimwitted.

Jed Curtis- Music for Wisemen

Bill Basinski - 9/11 Mixtapes

My SoundCloud, but I see it as more avant garde

m.soundcloud.com/dante-jason

Anything Grimes

Anything radiohead post-Pablo Honey

Sufjan's discography

Ocean Man

Anything by Tool desu.
They are the Rick & Morty of Metal

Revolution 9

Rick & Morty fucking rules

>Rick & Morty fucking rules

Reddit: The Post

not that complicated, but it is shitty and overindulgent
iminhighschoolband.exe
reasonable candidate given actual dictionary definition of pretentious
another smug prick, but hardly pretentious. found techniques in art production are like 60 years old at this point.
this sounds like a fun piece
>thinks Rick and Morty "fucking rules"
>thinks Revolution 9 is "pretentious" because he thinks Revolution 9 is difficult and doesn't know what the word pretentious means, two things that are redundant with the fact that he's enough of a mouth-breather to find Rick and Morty interesting

You have to be 18 to post even on blue boards buddy

kill yourself

Leaving LA - Father John Misty

No, I'm serious.

she isn't capable of anything that could be considered sophisticated, or even "attempting sophistication"

Something Stockhausen like Stimmung

put a bit more thought into it next time user.

OP said most pretentious song ever made, not worst song(s) ever made.

>Sup Forums hating on rick and morty

proves you are a bunch of contrarian plebs

t. redditor

Idioteque

that last "song" on Geogaddi that's literally just timed silence

wack af

reminder: rick and morty is made by a channer
youtu.be/0oCqPDngrgM?t=57m13s

youtube.com/watch?v=oB0_SZggxhs

still good but holy shit

Radiohead
Sonic Youth
Pavement
Captain Beefheart
My Bloody Valentine
Unwound
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Cure
Joy Division
Throbbing Gristle
Swans
Nirvana
Dinosaur Jr
Pixies
The Birthday Party
Public Image Limited
The Fall
Frank Zappa
The Velvet Underground
The Pop Group
Pink Floyd
Slint
The Microphones
Mount Eerie
The Olivia Tremor Control
The Doors
Kanye West post-MBDTF
Nine Inch Nails
American Football
Glenn Branca

All of these "artists" are pretentious hacks and should be duly ignored. You can never listen to enough good music but you should never listen to bad music.

i hope hes in this fucking thread right now so he realizes nobody likes his shitty fucking show other than stupid fucking aging dickheads and retarded 15 year old retards who think they are "smart"

i liked rick and morty, then i watches the first episode of the third season
seriously, what a nosedive

>implying pretentiousness is bad
all art is pretentious

I find Rick and morty great and I'm 30.

Pretty sure I have better taste than most of Sup Forums though. I've weaned myself off popular music (all bands, producers, singer-songwriters etc.) and only listen to classical and traditional music.

>15 year old retards who think they are "smart"
hurts but true

I agree, became too "reddit" right? but I just gotta be happy for justin he's probably getting that $$$ rn

hur hur my taste is so good

leave it up to a rick and morty faggot to brag about his irrelevant fucking taste

thanks for proving my point you pretentious dickhead

Wow! You sure are special!

It's a jack white song. I know that much.

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

Pretentious band all around but that one takes the cake

oh god fuck dream theater

that is one of the least pretentious songs ever made. FJM pours his heart out in that song.

I feel like Sup Forums just can't read. Do you read literature, like ever? Your analytical skills are fucking awful.

The only user in this thread that posted something that actually is pretentious so far, that word is on its way to becoming a retarded buzzword and losing its meaning cause of dumbasses like the people in this thread

desu I don't think a song can be pretentious, only the person making it can be.

no
yes
works better with the bonus track after
well meme'd

The fate of all descriptive language: to be reduced to its positive or negative connotation, so as to facilitate binary thinking.

I want to say it's anything made by the renowned members of the Darmstadt School, but that'd be intellectually dishonest, as their work does abide by a preestablished theory worthy of analysis and acknowledged merit; it's the people interested in said subject matter who make the experience of listening to their music partially disgusting. I seriously cannot listen or study anythinh like Stockhausen's Gesang Der Jünglinge without fearing I'll adopt a "greater than thou" attitude. They appear to be far more concerned with maintaining a supposed patrician air than with analyzing and discussing the work itself.

That said, I'd argue Halsey's new album is the most pretentious trite I've listened to in a while. Arresting your reader with the initial lines of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet from the start isn't as smart or deep as she seems to think it is.

lorde

Heh, I wrote reader instead of listener. Fuck me :^)

It didn't work this time, tough luck buddy.

Reddit here. Thanks for the list, man. I will go through it for sure.

Here's something for you:
youtube.com/watch?v=zv-I-CNv3JI

Oh, thank you so much! I'll certainly look into it.

/lit/ up in this bitch

Any "conscious rap" song.

Literally just some retard complaining about shit he doesn't understand and people think he's deep because the bar is set so low by the even more retarded normal rappers.

But
Radiohead, The Cure, Pixies, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Nine Inh Nails, and American Footbal are actually pretty good

>Revolution 9
Yeah that's kinda it..
opinion fucking discarded, kys

Quite the opposite, actually.
Why so many people feel patronised by Father John is beyond me; he is just about as honest and open in his tracks (especially Leaving LA) as a singer/songrwiter could be.
He does not hide behind metaphors or use abstract "arty" lyricsm to awe the listener.

You mean '4 minutes 33 seconds'

Read up on why they did it though

John Cage - 4'3''

Anyone who sees art behind this deserved to get shot.

cringe

I do and I don't deserve to be shot

All these people who don't realise that nothing is more pretentious than thinking they can set the confines for what art can be. t b h

Why do you?

>he likes Revolution 9

>I have better taste than you guys because my pallet is dictated by critics and the mainstream which keep me safely away from challenging or boundary pushing art that doesn't fit in my tfw too intelligent world

c'mon reddit

It was post-modernist work released in 1952. It served its purpose in that movement. Is it some masterpiece? No. Is it important in the progression from what was conventional classical music for centuries to what would become modern classical? I think so.

its PURE silence, it isnt music

Thing is, 4'3" is a self-improving piece which always change since Cage thought music as something that we experience all the time.
For its time it was revolutionary if you understand its purpose and it led to a certain open-mindedness in the music world to some extent.

is /fk/ still open?

no it didnt. because its nothing. i did the same thing while i was asleep when i was 2

imagine being boring enough to care about pretentiousness

its humorous, whats wrong with discussing it

Anything Radiohead post-Pablo Honey

sure, nothing wrong with discussing it
but people who dislike music for being pretentious are boring

Think for a minute, you're not supposed to listen to the silence but the sounds made by the environment in which you listen to this piece, hence why it is self-improving, you will never hear the same things twice
It opened so many doors at the time and composers and artists started to break the rules of what was established in the 17th to 19th century onward.
Without composers such as Cage you wouldn't have most of the music we have access to today

you are really stupid. thats entirely the point. hes negating the idea of the master genius composer and calling attention to music that exists all around. it also calls into ideas about "silence" which is an impossible thing for people to experience. composed music is structures within time of sound and silence. but there is never truely silence. its a great artwork and you have to be really dumb not to get it...

>Is it important in the progression from what was conventional classical music for centuries to what would become modern classical?
How so? Arnold Schoenberg, Iannis Xenakis, Edgard Varèse, while his contemporaries, created radical and important works, without relying on shock factor alone. Not to mention that 4'33'' doesn't require any expertise by any stretch of imagination to perform.

i get the "concept" of it, "music can be anything, any sound made can have beauty if you look for it" but anybody can do what he did, they just have to come up with a length and a title and call it as such. i dont think anyone cool or influential ever heard that "song" and decided to make actual music because of it, im no a music historian but i think i know a good bit, and ive never heard of him until today. not that ive done anything at all but i know i enjoy music

all songs are pretentious in a way

you are a phony. you cant be reasoned with

how much post-modern music have you listened to? do you know about the history of modern classical at all?

this.

ive listened to a lot of music of all kinds. silence isnt music

lmao why do you think you can tell anybody what music is

You say all of that as if it proves my point wrong. A work does not have to require expertise to perform to be considered influential or groundbreaking.

ITT: people who think pretentious means purposeful.

The answer is any mall goth track because the entire purpose behind that scene is self promotion as a 'deep, troubled soul' by complaining about nothing.

i can think what i want and you can think what you want and we can disagree, but one thing you must admit is that if THAT is music, then everything is music, and i dont see it that way

The piece is based on silence but is not the silence itself.

>A work does not have to require expertise to perform to be considered influential or groundbreaking.
Provide examples of musicians and composers who were influenced by 4'33". And I think we can all agree that having less and less expertise in the field of art has served society so well over the years.

it's music because it provides specific boundaries for sound, however loose

wow, enlightening stuff you got there.

>but anybody can do what he did, they just have to come up with a length and a title and call it as such
Cage's purpose wasn't to be "unique", he wanted to prove that music could be anything and a piece could change itself. You could write your own 4'3" if you want, but it wouldn't bring anything new to the table to this day. It's not a matter of originality.
>i dont think anyone cool or influential ever heard that "song" and decided to make actual music because of it
Of course we didn't have Radiohead, or the Velvet Underground the day after 4'33" was released
But as I said, it opened many doors at the time and composers and artists started to break the rules of what was established in the 17th to 19th century onward. Cage wasn't alone to break these rules. Think of Stockhausen, Ligeti, Xenakis, Webern, Boulez, and many more.
All those composers tried to derive from the rules, and some of them inspired jazz musicians to experiment, and some of them inspired rock musicians to experiment too.
Maybe you don't recognize their importance right now, because one band doesn't say they were implicitly influences by said composers, but it was a work of ages which took decades and at the root of it all, without the experiments led by these composers, I highly doubt we would have genres such as rock music, electronic music or jazz music and their derivatives at all.

lol hes literally the most important person working in music of the 20th century... any artist who uses chance operations as compositional elements owe it to him. he invented the idea of prepared instruments. his book "silence" is literally the most important book on music and sound of all time. do you really think music is about being difficult to make? he didnt make a name for it or an ammount of time just a score. it was the performer of its first performance that used that ammount of time. and journalists who gave it that title. of course that was easy but its about the philosophy surrounding it not how it was made.... and its not like it took him no time. he obviously spent a lot of time thinking and writing about the concepts it involves. he gave lectures and wrote extensively about the philisophies it entails....

im really not saying it does, im a classic rock fan, but see this post
if every sound is music all the time....i guess you can look at things that way, i think that defeats the purpose of the idea of music though and i just think its silly

lol'd at your flawed logic. YOU thinking what you want is not the same thing as being objectively incorrect. Music is simply sound art. Its possibilities are limitless and yet you are trying to limit it.

>i dont think anyone cool or influential ever heard that "song" and decided to make actual music because of it, im no a music historian but i think i know a good bit, and ive never heard of him until today. not that ive done anything at all but i know i enjoy music
Shout out to anyone who's still arguing with you after reading this.
>i've never heard of him before today but I think i know a lot about music
>if its not cool or influential, it isn't worth the importance history gives it

Funny how no one replied to this, but do we have baseless assertions all over this thread.

silly question, too many to name.

at least normal rappers are fun to listen to, and more intellectually honest than conscious rappers.

funny

DUDE