I'm a psychiatry resident working with suicidal teens/preteens. AMA

I'm a psychiatry resident working with suicidal teens/preteens. AMA

are you jew?

Why don't you use techniques that actually work, such as analytical hypnotherapy and energy psychology ?

How do you live with yourself knowing that the things you do to help these kids doesn't do shit ?

What are you talking about bitch

What is the answer?

why is everyone depressed

nope

kek, not part of my training. it would be fun to know some bizarre old school stuff though, like phrenology

because over the past several decades we've broadened depression to include people that are simply unhappy

do you agree that we have broadened also the term of commiting suicide? this is for lot of people saying they want to suicide

I think that we've really pathologized the thought. I don't think we should be so quick to label it unusual and try to fix it. Lots of people think about death/ending their own life. Its a symptom of not being happy, it's not a sign someone is 'crazy'

How do I get drugs for treating anxiety

go to the doctor and tell them you have anxiety. if you are really just looking to score some xanax, pretend you have a panic disorder

just use aversion therapy, beat them until they smarten up

this

also.. has OP tried to trick any of them into sex?

#1 reason for suicidal teens?

coddling, they find out that they're not a 'special snowflake' or 'mommys little genius' and can't deal with the real world

oh trust me, i think some of these kids could be treated more with a little tough love than any antidepressant on the market

i wouldn't need to trick them. being 'the young, cool doctor' gets the attention of a lot of the girls. i catch a lot of them looking at me all dreamy eyed. you just gotta pretend you don't notice it, and if they ramp up their game then you have to set boundaries.

most times teens kill themselves it's reactionary to some event that was distressing. break ups, fights with family. dumb shit that as an adult you are quick to shrug off

if i found out my psychiatrist visited sites like Sup Forums i would probably kill myself

tell them "Cheer up. It gets worse."

we have a fascination with fucked up minds, it's no surprise. would you rather have a doctor who is ignorant to the darker stuff out in the world?

>tell them "Cheer up. It gets worse."

This. Kids that age have it all in front of them, unlimited possibilities. Do they think life is so hard, somehow? Idiots.

Do you believe there should be a right to die?

Do you think about your patients after you leave?
Or how do you relate to them?

no, I'd want a competent physician. then again psych is a pretty soft residency so you must have plenty of time to dick around

>a doctor who is ignorant to the darker stuff out in the world
oh god, like one of those hippy 'let's just hug it out' guys who talk about blocked chakras and rubbing crystals on your taint

Why is it so hard to get ppl happy. My best trick is, turn screenlight really dark for some hours, then just turn it up and it feels like I'm good again???

>psych is a pretty soft residency
they don't have you hang around in the loony bin? laaaaame

lol u dont need to spend ur time on Sup Forums to know the internet is a fuckd up place. go fuck urself i hope u lost ur license someday

How much do you make?
I've been told over years in mental health services that I have aspergers,bipolar and BPD it's an unbearable life.
is it possiible to really have all of these combined?

What makes a man wannt to fuck a goat? Asking for a friend.

Have you inseminated patients?

I have been recently diagnosed with depression.
I feel like i am just a cash cow (Decent Insurance) and going around in circles with my doctor.

I have all the usual problems
I wake up and audibly say i hate my life.
I often think about rigging a garden hose to my truck and doing the forever sleeps (I dont tell doc this one because i really dont want to be in a 72 hour watch and be labled crazy)

I dont enjoy hanging out and drinking with the bros
I dont enjoy vidya anymore
On my days off i sleep for 14 hours.
Its hard to get out of bed for work sometimes i just call out.

What do

of course inpatient psych is a big part of training. doesn't detract from the fact that it's a pretty chill residency in comparison to a lot of other subspecialties

To piggyback on *1701, I have often wondered whether it might be relatively easy to coax suicidal women into sexual activity since they theoretically have little to lose via risky behaviors. I have even contemplated trolling bulletin boards of suicidal persons for this very reason.

A bit of a Psychfag in my spare time. One of my many interests.

How has the evidence of brain plasticity impacted the field of Psychiatry, specifically the way you devise a treatment plan for a patient?

In relation to a lot of the new methods of therapy, such as Existential, offsets of DBT and less founded therapies such as Bioenergetics, do they run tests with radical new methods of therapy or do you stick to "tried and tested" methods to get results?

Lastly, as someone who has a family with backgrounds in similar fields, do you get more support for your own psychological well-being?Like your own therapist or regular mental health evaluations etc.

Is homosexuality a disorder?

what would label someone as crazy?

Help me kill myself

Do you ever tell them to anhero?

why was I so obsessed with penises as a toddler?

Ever gotten turned on by a Hot depressed teen and wanted to fuck her?

from terminal illness? yes. because of something that we can treat, that when you get the adequate treatment, you are grateful to be alive? then no

all the fucking time! difficult patients especially, or some people who you really relate to or strike a cord. it's just the life of being a doctor. we all do it, or at least the good ones do

exactly, the ones who have never struggled beyond first world white people problems, how can they relate to their patients?

We work inpatient psych and state hospitals. and fuck you, I know ED residents that browse Sup Forums while they are at work. I do 60 hour weeks, so yeah, it's on the softer side, but fuck you anyway

because people haven't learned that their thinking drives them into perpetual unhappiness. they should seriously teach CBT in high school

great thanks for posting

lack of women, surplus of sexy ass goats i suppose

what meds are you on, and what have you tried? have you done CBT or other program based therapies?

plasticity hasn't come into the fold yet, but we are learning about how certain meds affect dna methylation and protein transcription/translation, so it will be within my generation that it has clinical applicability. Radical new therapies are tested, but truthfully what we have is pretty good. We can't give a pill to motivate people to engage in therapy and get more out of it. And we don't get regular evaluations, but part of residency is learning well being, because we can't do our jobs if we hate it and have a shit attitude.

political correctness has forbidden us from finding out the answer to this. good question though

because it's sensitive and has a function that as kids we don't understand, like how some kids flush stuff down the toilet because it seems magical the them. or maybe your uncle made you touch his and you got confused by it

yeah, medical school and residency don't turn you into a robot. but that's a good way to throw your entire career down the toilet

have you lost many patients?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

>first world white people problems
>white
self hate or poojet?

I am not on any meds i opted to try and find the root cause of my stresses I dont want to take 10 pills a day everyday to feel "normal" I just wanna be normal

is it common for doctors to say kids aren't autistic or have Asperger syndrome if its only a minor case?

asking for a friend of course

i guess self hate?

well if you want to get better than i think you would be willing to take a single pill once a day. if you are serious about getting better than get serious about getting better. or you can try CBT, which doesn't involve meds but there's homework

yes, the diagnosis carries stigma that give parents a reason not to socialize their kids, which is the best thing for treatment. really, your 'friend' is probably just a little awkward

Q: Should I kill myself?

what do you think or try not to think, when being unmotivated ?

you missed these

weirdest psych disorders?

>I've been told over years in mental health services that I have aspergers,bipolar and BPD it's an unbearable life.
>is it possiible to really have all of these combined?

people admitting to pedophilia (thoughts, not acting on it)

naw

nope, if they are coming in to see me, then they don't really want to die, they want to get better, and thats what i do

it isn't the thinking. you just have to make small, reasonable goals, and stick to that shit

the term doesn't mean much. i guess you'd have to be psychotic?

is it common for the peoples of the middle east to not report severe autism/mental disorders
i have a hard time believing they can have such high levels of incest without issues or at least i don't see many reports on it

Capgras syndrome- believing loved ones are replaced by impostors
Cotard delusion- believing that you are actually dead/ a walking dead person. I've seen this a couple times. Its really freaky

I'm in residency. I work everywhere. They were adults who told me this

the places with high rates of incest tend to be the places where mental health facilities don't exist. every village has an idiot, as they say

me too. How many years? After 13 years I simply gave up on most cases, try to identify those I can have sex with without legally getting fucked while offering realistic alternatives (i.e. not everyone can be president, in the NBA, etc.) , then umm fuck them on camera....

Why am I gay? My dad died when I was 12

What are the flat earthers suffering from?

what's your favorite mental disorder?

When are some characteristics of being a psychopath? Since recently I've read a lot about psychopaths, and found out I've got a shitload of similarities with them. Not everything, but I am certain I got quite some psychopathic traits. I'm not bothered by it, but it does explain so much in my history.
Now, should I get tested or anything? Personally, I feel like just not telling anyone and using it to my advantage.

do you fuck these teens?

>CBT

Cock and ball torture?

Is it fucking hilarious? Gives us your best stories.

That is kind of a requisite for being a psychiatrist

Can a person's personality completely change/improve? Have you actually seen someone who was on the brink of suicide do a 180 and become productive and happy?

Opinions on 13 Reasons Why?

What do these people grow up to become?

How can you stand to sit and listen to these little losers' first-world problems and not completely lose your shit on them!?

Like their goddamned life is so fucking hard... Their parents can afford a psychiatrist, they got NOTHING to fucking cry about... Tell them a guy who's lived a FAR worse life than they'll EVER had, told them to Cry yourself a river, build yourself a bridge, and get the FUCK OVER IT!!

Well, BPD shares a lot of similarities with Bipolar disorder and they're fairly often misdiagnosed with each other, you might have both because they're unsure which you suffer from. Asperger's is a Developmental Disability diagnosis and could go along with almost any mental illness.

My dad died when I was 12 too, and I don't suck dicks....

I think the problem is YOU, not your dead father..... Maybe try sucking fewer dicks... That might help...

Cognitive behavior therapy you mong