OK

OK
Lets say humans vanished off the earth,
Which animal do you think would evolve to become the next civilized species to rule the planet?

Unless all our tech went with us, none.

Unattended nuclear reactors around the world would eventually fail and likely explode or at least breach. Fires in cities would burn for years, possibly decades. All that destruction would poison the planet eventually.

Chimps are too obvious, so I'll say raccoons.

>Fires in cities would burn for years, possibly decades
You know life doesn't work like the Resident Evil movies right?

Dogs/Wolves
I'd feel confident saying they're more dogs than any other mammal, maybe more catcats but they'd be food/useless. Unlike dogs, house cats lose their ability to hunt and scavage.

Koala!

I think maybe dolphins

It would evolve to look pretty funny haha

Chimps

you do realize there is a shit load of flammable material all around and that with no one to put it out or control it, it would spread worse than a wildfire, and those can last for weeks even with major human intervention

Niggers

I was about to say the same.

Dong fangs of course.

Those meerkats are pretty crafty

Cockroaches or some descendant of cockroaches. They'll have to thrive in the new ecosystems that relish after the fall/sudden disappearance of man.

It'd have to be something with a thumb. So long as it has an opposable thumb, it can learn to use tools and steadily grow into a dominant species. If it doesn't have a thumb, something that can work like a thumb. If there's no thumb, it won't become a dominant species, merely one that will stay stuck in a set period of time before dying off to something greater.

I was thinking this, too, but it will probably be some kind insect, bees or ants.

ITT: people missing the point of evolution

things don't just evolve. evolution is not a forward progression that arbitrarily creates "intelligent" life as the final goal. human beings are only human beings because of global events that gave rise to our early ancestors, the same global events that gave rise to the early ancestors of all known species today. they have been evolving right along side of us, and have reached a point where they are "perfect" for their given survival. to think that in the absence of human beings, these creatures would disregard their own nature and evolution would attempt to "make another human" is indicative of a fundamental misunderstanding.

tl;dr these threads might as well be as bad as trap threads

Dolphins, chimpanzees, or canines. Domestic canines probably wouldn't survive the disappearance of humans given their reliance upon humans.

Man you suck at this game, you retarded or something?
Ima say squids, they could probably learn to use tools eventually

Godzilla, rising out of the ashes of Fukushima.

Evolution is on-going right now.
We are here because conditions favored us being here. Those same conditions might never occur again.
Ask an evolutionary scientist and he'll tell you that intelligence has little to no evolutionary value; the most successful species are not intellectual giants.

Remember that octopus that was accurately predicting World Cup games a few years ago?

Yeah i remember that hahaha

octopussies

Probably Trump faggots will be all that's left.

Ants

I think it's a gross oversight to suggest that the phenomenon known as evolution wouldn't produce any other remotely sapient creatures in the absence of human beings. We're almost essentially creating our own period here, for starters. The Anthropocene.

Why exactly would it not be at least considerable for another species to fill the vacuum that mankind would leave if it were to be abdicated immediately, if evolution consists of selection pressures from the environment and random mutations? No people. That changes a lot, from environmental disruption, geological disturbances, machine presence, noise pollution, air pollution, water pollution, fisheries and overfishing, hunting and over-hunting animals, zoos, whole ecologies of animals that have adapted to the presence of man over time. And, let's say our effects on the planet aren't also abdicated. If we just vanish now, there will still be noticeable effects to consider in the next billion years. We might be on the verge of instigating another mass dying due to a lack of oxygen, what with the majority of the oxygen being produced right now coming from aquatic plant life such as algae under the ice caps. Those ice caps, currently melting and threatening a population bust of said aquatic flora. Less oxygen, less life, more life that seeks to thrive in carbon-rich environments. And create more oxygen. Over a long period of time, of course. We're also poking holes in the ozone, and rumor has it that detonating nuclear warheads in the atmosphere helped do just that.

There's a lot going on. Is it entirely unthinkable that something else might go beyond simple tool use if left alone for a drastic period of time? We've still got a handful of billions of years left, asteroids be damned. The next creature to spread and dominate like we have need not necessarily be "human", but if human physiology is any indicator, thumbs and "standing upright" are chief if you're human-sized. So is cooperation and language.

You're insane. Cats retain the abilities and dogs lose them.

But the correct answer would be the octopus.

Niggers or chimps

They pretty much are already a civilized species that have already colonized the planet

niggers?

Definitely Mexicans

White people will survive.

Why exactly would it not be at least considerable for another species to fill the vacuum that mankind would leave if it were to be abdicated immediately, if evolution consists of selection pressures from the environment and random mutations?

because you are assuming human being fill an important role in the ecosystem that requires a species to do what we do, thus creating a vacuum if we don't. Darwin himself wanted to refrain from using the word "evolution" because he felt people like you would take it to mean "forward progress" which it is not.

and then that was the only thing you posted I could reply to

>everything else you said

I know its Sup Forums, and worse yet, Sup Forums, but I am convinced my first post was pretty clearly written and on point, so I encourage you to read it again. if it still doesn't make sense to you, then read a book. that is, if the theory of micro and macro evolution and the working theory of human evolution actually interests you and you aren't just some high 14 yo who wants to attention whore on Sup Forums for a while with his new iPhone.

>human being fill an important role in the ecosystem that requires a species to do what we do
Hence me mentioning the Anthropocene. At this point, we're on the verge of permanently changing the ways several ecologies around the planet function. I can prattle off a list of said things if you want.

And just to stop the high-horse nonsense, I know evolution isn't magic, nor does it contain agency, nor is it linear, nor does it have a "plan". It's clear that you didn't read anything I typed and hanged on what was probably the only sentence that caught your eye. It being the only thing you cared to reply to, because you want to make a strawman out of me.

Your post made perfect sense. You just haven't really taken me seriously because you'd be happy to think everyone around you is stupid. It makes an ass out of you. Also, a faggot.

Not him but just because evolution doesn't have a set path that doesnt mean it is nonsensical to speculate another species evolving into something that posseses intelligence similar to our own mental faculties. At most op phrased his hypothetical question in a semi imprecise manner; colloqially everyone knew what he was talking about. You just like being pedantic.

Squids.

I just reread the op and would like to modify my post. No where did he say or imply civilization was the ultimate goal of evolution. Youre just a pedantic cunt.

Sounds a bit ridiculous.

Why? Explain your reasoning.

you are absolutely right; I don't take you seriously. the theory of evolution is bigger than what your personal feelings about the matter are. I am aware of its arguments, the people who know anything about it are aware of its arguments, and then there are people like you who want to be subjective about the matter and bait others into "debate" because you think you can "muh logic" your way to victory. I posted what I posted for all to read, and hopefully someone who actually cares about the subject and is content with just lerking might open another tab and do some reading.

I'm not a teacher, so its not my job to go point for point with you about why you are wrong. there is not room for debate on this issue; most of what you said is factually inaccurate and still presumes the human condition and the meaning of evolution theory.

Because they havent changed much, and theyre probably one of the oldest creatures on the planet. Why do u think them?

>the theory of evolution is bigger than what your personal feelings about the matter are
This has to be bait, because only someone lacking chromosomes could be this thick-skulled. I don't feel any ways about evolution. You speak of reading, so read the following:

>I know evolution isn't magic, nor does it contain agency, nor is it linear, nor does it have a "plan".
>if evolution consists of selection pressures from the environment and random mutations
>random mutations
>selection pressures
>evolution is not a forward progression that arbitrarily creates "intelligent" life as the final goal
Sounds like we agree that evolution isn't what you think everyone thinks it is, unless
>most of what you said is factually inaccurate
I guess evolution really is magic, and you're wrong about evolution, too. If you're more concerned with imagined premises, self-importance, "muh logic", and ignoring an earnest challenge to your claims, then my hat is off to your slow self.

As selective a reader as a triggered snowflake.

Yup, smooth brain, eucalyptus eating ass, shittin all over their baby's face fuckin koalas.

Kek

Gtfo

The nigger

>more concerned with imagined premises

most of your posts contains a ">" rewording something I said.

>ignoring an earnest challenge to your claims
>your claims
>your

they aren't mine, they are the claims of evolution theory. you are the only one making personal claims.

>As selective a reader as a triggered snowflake

the only triggered person I see here is someone who wants to be "right" and because they aren't, they resort to insults.

In your original post you put words in op's mouth. Thst is the only qualm we have with you.

>ITT: people missing the point of evolution

and then from there, I never referenced op. so, yeah.

The king crab!

No one implied what you were saying.

Domesticated cats

>most of your posts contains a ">" rewording something I said
Rewording?
(Control + F):
>most of your posts contains a ">" rewording something I said

Boy howdy, a faggot.

>claims
These aren't my personal claims either, I didn't coin the Anthropocene. But you're representing the claims of evolution theory, and by coincidence I am too, alongside the Anthropocene, which you still refuse to mention, you jiggling basic bait nigger.

>they resort to insults
>and then there are people like you
>bigger than what your personal feelings on the matter are
>you aren't just some high 14 yo who wants to attention whore on Sup Forums
Free of insults, I'm sure.

>who wants to be "right"
You're doing that right now, you dumb nigger faggot.
>me evolution theory
>only me says so

I have qualms with this faggot for more reasons if he's genuine.

see

or maybe it was a typo? is this what you meant:

>No one [UNDERSTOOD] what you were saying.

also, see

but to be fair, he has been going of the rails for 3 posts now.

This has to be the most retarded thing I have read today. You realize life has gotten through much worse disastes right?
Also
Dolphins or orcas. Maybe some other monkey
Also
So long and thanks for all the fish

Because you're intellectually dishonest bait shit.

see

"As selective a reader as a triggered snowflake."

it was just classic when you posted that, because every post afterwards is you being an angry, insult throwing snowflake who is mad because someone on the internet isn't taking him seriously and validating his misguided beliefs.

I remember reading something when I was at school that said it would be bees.

His misguided beliefs, which include the belief that the evolution theory is valid. I'm only mad that you're a giant faggot pretending to be a lowkey autist.

The only thing I could be a snowflake for is willingly biting down on the bait until I rip you a
>nu
asshole.

No one said or implied civilization or intelligence were the pinnacle of evolution. Nor did anyone say or imply evolution has any arbitrary goals. Youre just a pretentious faggot with a false sense of intellectual superiority. I bet youre the type that must always blurt out "but correlation doesnt imply causation" when the subject arises.

"intellectually dishonest"

>Intellectual dishonesty is the advocacy of a position known to be false. An argument which is misused to advance an agenda or to reinforce one's deeply held beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence contrary.

nope. sorry, the only guy who has been doing that had been the guy who has been responding to me with walls of greentext. and technically you, sort of.

Rats /thread

Guys guys can we all just get along here?

Same person again, you nigger. Two threads this time. And you're advocating for a position known to be false in the face of overwhelming, potentially incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

When will you learn?

No.

>Which animal do you think would evolve to become the next civilized species to rule the planet?

OPs own words to guide the content of this thread.

By suggesting something on this planet, as it exists now, could (and I'm using OPs words here) "evolve to become the next civilized species to rule the planet" means that people ITT implied evolution has arbitrary goals which cumulate into civilization or intelligence being the pinnacle of evolution.

I'm sorry, user. But that's just how words work. And I generally take people at face value when they say something. Especially when they write it down. I know its hard to scroll up to the top of the thread on your phone, but at least give it a shot. It probably takes less time than it took you to text out your post.

which position? my position on evolution? do I need to link you to your own posts when you claimed that you agreed with me on my position?

the more you do this, the more intellectually dishonest you sound.

So this is what STEMlords do for fun...

I think I'll stick with saving the world, please.

>or should I say you're welcome

>implying
>that's just how words work
What a reach.

Do I need to link to your own posts in which you disagreed with your own position on evolution by admonishing my agreement with said position on evolution itself?

Of course, I mean the position that bellies the statement that I don't know anything about evolution, or have said anything other than what you have said, in vaguely different words, which according to you, just work that way.

Keep up with the replies, brainlet.

the problem is, doesn't STEM but has personal feelings about the issue.

If this idiotic species is what you mean by civilized, hopefully none of them, for their own sake.

Apes. I don't see why the most evolved animal wouldn't make it a second time.

I deal with more STEM-related content than the days you've spent here.

Dolphins.

This has to be the most infuriating thing i have ever seen.

I want to, but a quick snoop told me the general information about the guy I'm talking with and I don't think he is anybody worth talking to.

peace oot

Hard to say, we came from some obscure rodents so it's really anyones game

Elaborate

Domesticated cats are both retarded and a danger to themselves. They would drive all possible prey species to extinction as quickly as possible, then forget about it twenty minutes later.

>btfo
Nigger doesn't have enough stamina to shitpost any longer.

You're actually like 30% incorrect so it's probably not the best idea to run around trying to inform people

Something would just evolve tobeat the cats right user

Species are still evolving with each selection and mating of each generation. There is no "perfect", and this is not a static environment. It's more volatile than at any point in history next to the impact of a giant fucking asteroid. More and more species are displaying signs of higher and higher intelligence, the better our animal behaviourists testing methods get.

Don't need thumbs to do most of what humans have done, and all 99.99999% of humans do is eat sleep, shit and fuck, in compliance with their emotional and hormonal drives, like every other animal. There is no reason to think if another species ramps up its intelligence sharply as we have and neanderthalensis before us, that they are "pulling a human", and will plateau where we plateaued.

We're still barely making inroads into whale speech. For all we fucking know, they've eclipsed our greatest philosophers and poets hundreds of millenia ago, and have developed the good sense to realize that those two things are the ultimate objective of intelligent life, not working all day in factories to make nicknacks and consume the worlds resources and spread death and destruction as fast as you can.

How niggerdly of you, sir.
The world certainly needs more unqualified opinions.

Charming. Just the class i would expect from a STEMlord. Don't you have an air conditioner you should be fixing?

Do jellyfish act like giant neurons in any appreciable way?

It would be cool if the ocean, as a giant colony of primitive life, were actually sentient as an individual through the animals' joint contributions, and knew it was the ocean and saw us as tiny ants.

I think they have what are called nerve nets. Not an actual brain thiugh

i know they don't have an actual brain but what i mean is does a jellyfish itself, as a whole organism, do anything comparable to what an individual neuron does

you know i guess probably not because they aren't connected to each other in any way

Probably none. Intelligence and civilization are not inevitable. The chances are not especially high that if we were gone, some other race would become the next "humans".

Can you be any more hippy and any less grounded in science?

>saving the world
Is that what you call posting on Tumblr about your hurt feelings? Because I call curing cancer and developing alternative fuel sources saving the world, but what do I know? I'm only a STEMfag.

You are now a jellyfish.
The entirety of your sophistication has been distilled into an improbably complex and dense nerve net distributed over your bell. Because of this, you remain capable of thought, emotion, and deliberate and calculated motility.
You are now extremely prone to tearing. If this happens to you, you will "survive," but your newly fragile sentience surely will not. You must navigate the ocean without touching anything hard or sharp. However, your only sense is that of light levels.
wat do

>what i mean is does a jellyfish itself, as a whole organism, do anything comparable to what an individual neuron does
Oh. I definitely misread your question. And the answer is no.

make a pact in the abyss with all the other lost souls and cluster together to become one giant seabrain that collectively ensures its survival and learns about the world around it to better its means of existence

contemplate how much life sucks now while drifting aimlessly because i don't have the necessary senses to aim
die quickly

>seabrain

My vote on Ants, they share so many similarities to humanity.