Every song sounds nearly identical

Every song sounds nearly identical.
Lyrics that sound like they're out of a high school senior "scene" kid's journal, and every song is pop formula verse bridge chorus bridge chorus with the most tryhard monotone voice I've ever heard.
The songs just go in circles for far too long. They feel like something is about to happen but then they just play the same thing you heard 30 seconds ago. Why is this praised?

The drumming is top notch

Agree, The National is just pleb Version of Tindersticks

Yeah, it's good but not good enough to carry the dribble that is everything else

Wow OP you're so enlightened. I had never realized that the average high school senior scene kid writes about the monotony of being a middle aged rock star and the whole overall passive experience of aging, you must have gone to an interesting high school. And man it sure is incredible how you can connect the words "tryhard" and "monotone" despite them basically being contradictory when used in that context, that sure is a great criticism. And man I can't believe you get bored by pop formula song structure, that's such an interesting and unique stance to take, of course it's impossible for anybody to work within that format and even use it to their advantage, what was everyone else thinking. And you know what you're right using hooks and repetition to anchor songs really is just circular and pointless. I can't believe anybody could relate to the by design understated feel of the album which matches its lyrical content. Its absolutely preposterous for a band to identify a niche sound and mood with which they could work in and have other people respond well to that. It's not like this trend of criticizing The National for the doing the exact thing that people enjoy them for is tired and hackneyed while literally 30 seconds of googling would have answered all your questions.

What a great music thread OP your contributions to this board really shine through this example of in depth criticism.

I really liked Alligator and Boxer but everything since then has just been has been progressively shittier

Joy Division gets absurd amounts of praise, right? What if we took Joy Division and made each track less repetitive? BOOM! Everyone dick riding The National. I don't like either group for what it's worth, but if JD can get that much praise I can see why The National would also get similar if not even more praise.

Lol imagine being this mad at a Sup Forums post

lol imagine actually discussing music on a music discussion board

>Every song sounds nearly identical.
if you think this you're just a pleb, honestly.
like the first four tracks are so distinctly different that you'd have to be a tryhard to think this.

this post is not discussion, its being a sarcastic shithead

>Every song sounds nearly identical.

That's how I feel about Red Hot Chili Peppers

You need to relax

as if the ethos of this entire board is not discussing music while being a sarcastic shithead.

My point is that all of OP's criticisms are boring and weak as fuck.

>Lyrics that sound like they're out of a high school senior "scene" kid's journal

nigger what the songs are about being a middle aged adult

>i half listened to a National album for the first time and here are my thoughts

>verse bridge chorus bridge chorus
That's not even the stabdard pop formula

and so is literally every one of your nu-male passive aggressive points

Boxer (Beggars Banquet, 2007) delivered twelve immaculate productions that summed up the band's aesthetic, in particular the way songs rapidly assume a solemn quality while continuing to communicate at a bare everyman level.
The layered arrangement of Fake Empire, rolling piano followed by skipping syncopated rhythm followed by sobbing trumpets followed by marching trombones, or the torrential drums and mournful strings that torment the dejected mantra of Squalor Victoria, or the crescendo of drums and guitar that swallows the vocals in Guest Room or the funereal bassoon and bucolic pace of Gospel are more important than the story itself. While the vocals often sound vulnerable, the music has never sounded so strong.
The band's narrative style excels at the shadowy mood of Brainy, Green Gloves and Racing Like A Pro, but Berninger sounds most comfortable in the tender epic tone of Slow Show, with strings and noises competing to break the steady beat. One of the most monotonous vocalists to ever deal with profound themes, he truly modulates his singing only once, in Ada, and sends shockwaves to a tapestry of horns, keyboards and guitars. Even the more muscular moments (Apartment Story, Mistaken For Strangers) are first and foremost a game of balance between an almost metaphysical yearning and a very earthly poignancy (best epitomized by the insistent drumming). The atmosphere owes a lot to producer Padma Newsom and to the rhythm section (notably drummer Bryan Devendorf).

>all these people defending The National
Wew. Post-punk revival is probably the worst genre of music to ever exist.

could you be any more of a numale? holy fucking shit, shut your hyperbolic mouth up.

Not sure how that's remotely relevant to The National but okay?

Depressed middle aged adults are the real/adult world version of high school scene kids. My dad was going thru this phase when I was in hs, and he always acted like I how imagined a scene kid would act as a middle aged adult. He even started playing acoustic guitar again and started writing songs about everything and at one point wore black eyeliner for three days straight

scaruffi pls

is your dad okay?

>Post-punk revival
The National Sounds nothing like Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs or The strokes

Yup, The National is one of the most uninspired and dull bands to have ever existed

Cringe

Hardly when in the same decade we had nu-metal and post-grunge

That's a real shame of an opinion to have.

that's the scaruffi review lol

Scaruffi is based

>Franz Ferdinand
>The Strokes
More garage rock revival desu

less repetitive?
Have you ever heard JD?

Now he is. 10 years ago not so much.

>"Standing at the punch table, swallowing punch"
>"Can I get a minute of not being nervous, and not thinking of my dick?"