youtube.com/watch?v=YxgsxaFWWHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WKU0qDpu3AM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the one without scat fetishism

>Tolkien
>Mature without being edgy
>Actually nice to read
>No ridiculous stronk women characters
>Literally every western fantasy story draws some degree of inspiration from LOTR

>GRRM
>"The more she drank the more she shat"

Lord of the Rings, how is that even a question? Literally the only thing GoT has going for it is its """""""""""realism"""""""", but once you realise how laughably shallow and unrealistic it is then what's the point? It's like a badly-written parody of badly-written history.

>Sean Bean on the wrong side

Because of my childhood/nostalgia: LOTR

This. We learn the Kingdom is broke and the Lannister mines are dry. None of this has any effect on the war. The Lannisters don't raise taxes, they don't face desertions, there are no repercussions during the war for this information.

Men don't just March off on their Lords command, armies cost money, to feed, to arm, to pay. Where was the common practice of sending troops home for the harvest? Where the Lord's and peasants make their money?

LOTR because everyone's into ASOIAF/GOT now and I'm a kneejerk contrarian.

If I read all of ASOIAF and loved it will I like the LOTR books?

>Tolkien
>Pretty much invented modern fantasy as we know it

>GRRM
>POO IN FIELD

Well, they are shorter, but much more goes on. Better writing, but older style, they will seem cliched a bit, only because of their impact. I think they are better books overall. Always recommend the hobbit as a starter, it's basically a kids book, but it sets everything up nicely. Great quick read.

>This. We learn the Kingdom is broke and the Lannister mines are dry. None of this has any effect on the war. The Lannisters don't raise taxes, they don't face desertions, there are no repercussions during the war for this information.

Everything you just mentioned is clearly spelled out in the books wtf.
The crown owns Lannister money so they're not broke. They simply siphon it from either the crown or trough other means with Littlefingers help.
They did raise taxes. They even introduced new ones. How the hell did you miss out on the whore tax? They mentioned it several times and they're not exactly subtle about it.
Deserters are mentioned as well. Mostly dead ones though.

The one that wasn't written specifically to be a pop culture meme by an obese neckbeard

game of thrones without D&D cucking it up

Sounds fun, thanks man.
The Hobbit is the one that Jackson fucked up by making 3 movies out of one book right? Is it totally necessary to read the rest or it is a fun extra?

The Crown's Coffers were empty though.

If we're just talking books-to-books, well I personally really like the families and minor details that GRRM created, because it gives you a kind of scope on how many characters and things are going on. But LotR and all of the companion novels are much cleaner, much more well written, and they have a better story throughout.

Fuck George hes a sadist living out his fantasies in a form of books. It just so happens a bunch of other sick fucks happen to think his books are good.

Also the fat fuck can't seem to push himself to finish his actual story and prefers to write short stories and write daily entries into his blog/diary

not necessary, but required if you want the full experience. It will take a day or two of light reading to finish it.

You love this fun website called www.reddit.com

Thank you for the info user.

ASOIAF books > LOTR books

LOTR films > ASOIAF show

>We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and Second Hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there bravely while the rest retr [...] Mazarbul. We still ho[...]g ... but hope u[...]n[...]Óin’s party went five days ago but today only four returned. The pool is up to the wall at West-gate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin--we cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.

>Sunset found her squatting in the grass.

Tolkien didn't invent as much as he took aspects from germanic and scandinavian folk lore and put them into his personal setting filtered trough the current climate of the two World Wars. While it's true that Tolkien was an important milestone in the evolution of the fantasy genre a lot of people mis-interpret exactly what it was that he created and what he took inspiration from.

GRRM on the other hand reflects our current world and since all of you are obviously engrossed with Danys diarrhea I'm not surprised that he actually puts shit like that into his work.

>“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
>"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Now compare that to pic.

LoTR without question

Not on paper. They explain that they borrow and "take" from various Lords in the crowns name. They're bancrupting the crown but they keep their own papers clean.

A rapist paedophile with a heart of gold? Muh grey morality. Muh no heroes or villians.

Plotline goes nowhere? Muh pointless deaths.

A mad dudes raving's=/=The Narrator

I'm with these guys. Also I'm gonna go and suck a big fat donkeycock right now since I'm into that.

I'll admit it's been almost 10 years since I've read the books.

>Reflects our current world
yeah totally man. The massive war and Courtly intrigue totally Affect our daily life. So realistic

The thing with Tolkien is that he was originally an autist about languages. . His reason for writing LOTR was to give himself an outlet to use his made-up languages in some kind of story. Then he weaved the story together.

He explains in the Fellowship prologue that even before writing, he created the lore and such in his mind. And then he wrote it down as if he was a historian in the made-up world

GoT is a glorified South American telenovela in a "muh fantasy" setting

LOTR stands so far above it's not even fair

You're right though, it seems like got is just war as an excuse for shit going on

>GoT is a glorified South American telenovela in a "muh fantasy" setting
that pretty much describes Lotr though

Tolkien wrote the Pinnacle of Fantasy Novels. GRRM wrote something that won't even be remembered 15 years from now. Its a Glorified Eragorn

Are you not aware of the fact that the whole world has been following a war and a series of related and unrelated conflicts for the last 15 years? Thanks to the Internet this has never been done before in history. Oh, and before you deny it this has affected us in the western world quite alot.

In before "hurr durr I was only pretending"

ASoIaF will be forgotten within a couple of decades at best, especially since the fat fuck will die before finishing it.

LOTR is already a timeless classic.

Tolk meister no doubt and I don't even like the lord of the rings that much. It's more genuine fantasy imo.
Peter Jackson fucked with it as he will, but GoT is just an absolute normie clusterfuck that everyone watches to keep up with each other's personal lives rather than the story, gang raped by a bunch of hbo execs and a fat fuck who doesn't give a shit.

Nah, countries fighting over soverenity and land is hellova more realistic and true to history than LOTRs good vs evil war.

>Middle east conflict is on the same level as a Major war in one of the most civilized Countries in the known world.

LOTR is partly a timeless classic because it was early in its genre and set a certain milestone. If it was written today I'm sure all you kneejerk contrarians would've complained about it too.

No one said a such. Just admit to being wrong already and stop embarrasing yourself further.

I read Tolkien's work once every few years. He has a sense of poetry to his writing. His characters may appear perfect yet there are flaws deep down each of them. Tolkien knew he's writing a fantasy and thus made larger than life characters that fit in the larger than life world. The story had an ending from the start and you knew it. Everything had a purpose; the nine Ringwraiths are the hands of Sauron (who lost a finger, thus nine), Bilbo wanting Frodo to have an easy life yet inadvertently caused him untold suffering, etc. Tolkien knew how his story would end before he started it.

Now GRRM. I've also read his books. It's a mess. It's a complete mess by the fourth book. He tried to be edgy and provocative in his characters yet only made them unlikable. GRRM's only tool is the shock value he made from character deaths and maiming, and that get's old by the second book. Then he did the one mistake writers shouldn't do: he got lost in his story. He added useless characters in his attempt to move his four lines plot forward. These new characters has no prior development, they just appear as suddenly as they disappear and you can tell they're just tools to advance the plot forward. Basically GRRM tries to up his own shock value, and in doing so his story lost it's realism and just becomes absurd.

Tolkien's book for children's bedtime story is better written than GRRM's masterpiece.
Tolkien made an entire living myhtology. GRRM made cheap celebrity tabloid rumors with who fucked who and who shanked who.

LotR and especially the Silmarillion are vastly better works than anything GRRM has produced

>ASOIAF books > LOTR books
Talk about committing to your bait
this guy earned his (You)

Than how the fuck does GRRM's Book relate to our daily lives? Because that is what I thought you were trying to get at.

ok

>Literally the only thing GoT has going for it is its """""""""""realism""""""""
Yes. Because the fire-proof womyn, various dragons & multiple resurrections definitely make me think 'non-fiction'

kys

LOTR is boring as shit. The lore is great but Tolkein can't write.

this

>if things were different you'd act different

amazing analysis

any more insightful remarks?

>Tolkein can't write
wew

this a fucking joke?

game of thrones isnt' a world with lore even compared to lord of the rings

I really love ASOIAF and LOTR but I will need to see how the fatman resolves Stannis' story before I can say which I prefer.

ASOIAF, because I'm not a man-child

The only reason people even talk about ASOIAF is because it has a T.V show. If it didn't it would just be another run of the mill fantasy novel that young teens read at school when they are bored.

>GRRM's only tool is the shock value he made from character deaths and maiming, and that get's old by the second book. Then he did the one mistake writers shouldn't do: he got lost in his story. He added useless characters in his attempt to move his four lines plot forward. These new characters has no prior development, they just appear as suddenly as they disappear and you can tell they're just tools to advance the plot forward. Basically GRRM tries to up his own shock value, and in doing so his story lost it's realism and just becomes absurd.

It saddens me that this is all that you can get out of GRRMS books. While it's no LOTR there's certainly more depth to it than shock value. I sincerely hope that one day you'll be able to re-read his works with a more open mind and be fully able to appreciate it.

I hope you know he was being facetious when he said that.

he kills him, what do you think

gurm hates stannis and everything he stands for, i dont get how people have even vague hopes for stannis' story to end well for him

lord of the rings went over your head. what a waste.

>Imply its not the other way around

Answer me this. Do you honestly believe that your abbrevation of my post honestly conveys the true purpose behind it? Because if you do, you truly are a moron and I won't waste any more of my time with your "pretending".

But let's say you're sincere and you're just being tired or something. My point was that none of the posters in this thread can't or haven't explained why they consider LOTR to be a classic besides the point that it was first.

Being first isn't an argument for quality and if you only prefer his lore because it's was earlier than the other then you're nothing but a pretentious hipster.

Do you understand the point now?

Great argument you got there, buddy. I'm sure people listen to your opinions all the time.

this

LOTR lol amirite guys, i just want to fit in with the big Sup Forums bois Kill yourself you circlejerking faggots your hivemind is no better than /reddit/

To be quite honest famalam I'm kinda in love with The Elder Scrolls lore but it's probably because I like the way elves and magic are portrayed.

This is basically 70% of this thread. Sadly. Sup Forums truly is the worst board. It's nothing but wannabes and teenagers.

I doubt most of you even read the books you're talking about.

Gosh there's so many opinions in this thread I disagree with. I have to just stop reading and put my own opinion up here.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a good series of books. There is depth, it is not just shock value. Piecing together prophecy clues and the character swaping is a blast. There is also depth in Lord of the Rings, but it's a very direct depth. The depth is in it's vast world and history, but there isn't any real foreshadowing or clues to be found in it.

LOTR is superior because it has good writing and better World-Building by Leagues. Not to mention the plot is interesting and well thought out. If LOTR was written today it would still overshadow anything GRRM had to offer.

Lord Dunsany is the one true king of fantasy book-kino

>it's a /medieval fantasy rpg/ fanbases war against each other over husbandos and waifus, instead of co-opeating elevating this niche genre to a new level EPISODE

Double-dubs for this double-nigger!

Dude you rock
Like holy shit I was about to write this word by word.

You must have missed all those quotation marks implying that it isn't realistic at all. It tries to feign realism by making everyone of the face of the planet a back-stabbing incestuous scumbag.

The only reason game of thrones is possible is because of the "anyone could die" shit. Same with the Walking Dead.

Meant popular not possible

Ghibli's "Spirited Away"

In 90% stories the hero goes on some magical land, everyone welcome him/her (because it's often a her), give him/her tons of advice, give him/her some weapons. And, by the way, he/she happens to be the chosen one that will lead the natives and rule the world.

In Spirited Away Chihiro ends up in the fantastic world the same way an illegal alien would. Nobody cares who she is and even wan't avoid her. "You want to go home? why should I help you, go and do something useful for once". Furthermore the natives are drawn and behave in a way that makes unconfortable and keep wondering if they should be trusted. The way they look make you think they are about to eat Chihiro at any minute. When you watch the movie for the first time there is a very creepy vibe to it. The kind of vibe that Tim Burton desesperately tried to get for years with his Hot Topic bullshit and never achieved.

I'd like to discover more fantasy stories like "Spirited away"

youtube.com/watch?v=YxgsxaFWWHQ

A quick history lesson about LOTR is more entertaining than GoT imo

>LOTR is superior because it has good writing and better World-Building by Leagues.
Why is that? Do you have anything concrete to back up this claim of yours with?

>Not to mention the plot is interesting and well thought out.
How so? Got any examples or anything else you can evaluate on?

>If LOTR was written today it would still overshadow anything GRRM had to offer.
Again, you need to add some substenance to your opinions. They're the epitome of pretentiousness.

How can you expect anyone to listen to what you have to say when you can't even evaluate your opinions with any ounce of substenance at all? No one finds peoples opinions interesting if they're based on absolutely nothing. Did you skip debate class or something? This is something that most people get to learn in school.

>Fuck all main characters die in the ASOIAF books
>Show kills off characters who are still alive in the books
>Books gain the reputation of killing off all its characters when its the show that does that
Huh really makes you think

>Tolkien can't write

Here's your (you)

Somehow I don't think you're in a position to judge an author like Tolkien, it would be like a 5 year old passing comment on a Picasso

>substenance

How about you finish elementary school first?

never took debate class.

>Did you skip debate class or something?

Literally nobody I know has ever taken a debate class.

>Why is that? Do you have anything concrete to back up this claim of yours with?
youtube.com/watch?v=WKU0qDpu3AM

I smell an HBO exec

Fuck that man. I am not about to write a fucking essay about why LOTR is better than ASOIAF. If you really want to know why LOTR is better then just post the topic on /lit/ and see what they say.

Both built fantastic worlds, but Tolkien is the better writer. Although the Hobbit is a better book than LotR in my opinion, but that's mostly because of how much world Tolkien tried to force into LotR. I like the world of ASOIAF a little bit more though.

>If it was written today blah blah argument.
Nah. I admit I never read the LotR books because they were way too high for my literacy when I attempted, much less have I read SoFaI but... It doesn't take a genius to see which has the more timeless appeal.

A story about a world-conquering ring that must be destroyed in a high fantasy universe, is more appealing than a story about some family feuds.

I can credit stuff like the Zelda series' concept to Tolkien. Nothing will ever be inspired by Martin. At least, nothing good. I know this because the original work isn't that good, and so by extension, nothing derivative can be.

English is my third language. The occasional typo is expected.

Now tell me what exactly did you try to prove with that post of yours? Do you think you thwarted my arguments or something? Did it make you feel good?

That's too bad. It can be very beneficial if you have a great teacher or at least a good classmate willing to tutor.

Neither.

Is that Braceface?

I like the sex and violence, but overall LotR >>>>>>>> GoT

It was Debate or European History. I took the one that is actually fun, Interesting, and a better use of my time.

I already have formed my own opinion, thank you. I asked you because you're in the middle of sharing yours without the ability to back up anything of it.

I always get this response when I ask people to evaluate their baseless opinions. "I'm not about to write an essay!" Really? How hard can it be to explain your opinions with just a few simple sentences?

There's a saying. ´'If you can't explain your argument then you do not understand it.' I believe this to be true for about 80% of Sup Forumss userbase or more. And yet you all still have opinions... Why? Is it an ego thing?

Wtf? Are you for real?

You insulted a person based on a preconceived notion that they lacked schooling that you have. In doing so, you made your own tenuous grasp of the English language known. How can you be expected to accurately critique a written work if you can barely write in said language?

Substenance isn't a spelling mistake - it's not even a word. It's like a car crash between sustenance, subsistence and substance.

GoT is just the War of the Roses set in a fantasy setting.

Not very imaginative at all.

Warcraft sucks lol