Podcast I listen to posed the question "what's the biggest rock song of the 2000s...

Podcast I listen to posed the question "what's the biggest rock song of the 2000s?" In the same vein as Smells Like Teen Spirit is to the 90s. When I think biggest as in accepted by normies who don't know they even know the song but do, don't consider it a rock song, and listen to it with their brains off, I'm really tempted to say The Middle by Jimmy Eat World. Any of the singles from American Idiot would be a runner up. Some circles might say Sugar We're Goin' Down or I Write Sins Not Tragedies but I feel like I nailed 'the one'. Still, anything I'm overlooking? Could you guys make an argument for anything else?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Mainstream_Rock_number-one_songs_of_the_2000s
youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg
youtu.be/tuK6n2Lkza0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's none of those.

Go on then, m8. Have a shout at it.

Hard to say when rock fell out of the mainstream like halfway through the decade

The middle somewhat makes sense, it was a big push for pop punk and emo in the early-mid 2000s, just like SLTS was a push for grunge. I'd go with seven nation army though. It was the white stripes' smash hit that everyone knows them for, is incredibly easy to play on guitar and one of the first songs many people learn, just like SLTS, and helped push the blues/garage rock revival

The title track from Is This It

it's not green day it's blink 182

actually last night could be the biggest rock song or the fell in love with a girl. not is this it though.

What's U2 or Foo Fighters' biggest hit in this period? For many people in the world Jimmy Eat World are literal whos

Seven Nation Army, guys. I don't think it's even close.

Probably learn to fly or the pretender for foo fighters. Theyve been rock radio staples pretty much since everlong hit the airwaves so theyd be a good choice

You two seem to be under the impression that indie music is rock music. I don't totally hate the white stripes, I don't respect them either though. I'm not a sports fan but I hear they play Seven Nation Army in football stadiums. The Middle is more daytime radio driving with the windows down, party, or OMG BEST SUMMERTIME PLAYLIST EVER WITH MY GIRLS EXCEPT FOR THAT DUMB SLUT BRITNEY XD right next to The All American Rejects. I've never heard The Strokes. I just think they have a reputation as being one of those bands. For all the shit talking I do to indie music I think Float On by Modest Mouse could claim a pretty high spot on the biggest rock songs of the decade and it actually wouldn't bother me much.

I definitely wouldn't call white stripes indie though, theyre blues/garage rock

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Backed on those being the Foos choices. But they don't get played outside of rock stations which most towns don't have. But a lot of people did become really devoted to them in this period regardless of too much of a commercial push. I feel like the 2000s was when Conan-core really became a thing.

Indie is not a genre. The Strokes are definitely rock music.

Mr. Brightside is a big one

This is a good choice

I once bet a guy a million dollars he knew the middle when he said he'd never listened to Jimmy Eat World before. He rightfully asked me if I wanted to lower that. So I did. To one dollar. Of course he knew it. Because everyone and their grandma knows that song. I could've made a million dollars... funny enough that was sparked by the same guy mentioning how Jimmy were mentioned in an Andrew McMahon song

OK, fair enough, but that same guy would also know lots of the other songs suggested

Obviously last night by the strokes
If you disagree you ain’t a normie

You're not gonna like it, and neither do I, but the answer is: 50 Cent - In Da Club

Again, kind of don't want to call The Killers rock music. Or acknowledge them at all really. It's probably there best song but that's not saying much at all. I feel like when I lived through the 2000s I actually heard when you were young more than mr. Bright side.

not remotely correct

I guess I'm not a normie cuz afaik I've never listened to the strokes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Mainstream_Rock_number-one_songs_of_the_2000s

You definitely read rock song right?

How old are you? When it released, It This It was fucking huge.

>I've never heard The Strokes

SUMMER GO AWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

I feel like the "biggest" rock song has to be really shitty, so something like Californication

To be fair, they're not worth listening to.

Indie is a genre. Indie isn't rock music because it's not interesting. It actively makes me loose the will to live. It's bands like the Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend who's music should be considered war crimes. It's boring music for boring people.

Their debut album definitely is. Even if you don't like them in general, that album played an important part in bringing rock music back into the mainstream.

To be a genre it hss to have some unifying sound or characteristics, so what are they? You can't answer that, because indie music isn't a genre, you fucking idiot. It's a descriptor. Most every genre has some sort of indie scene.

The thing is that by the 2000's music became so crowded, especially with the rise of downloading mp3's, that there could never be a culturally unifying song like "Smells Like Teens Spirit". The hip thing to do in the noughtieswas be part of your own social group that was totally different to what eveyone else was doing

Came to post this. To me it's clearly Seven Nation Army.

yeah it's about selling crack rock bro

>Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend
Late stage indie rock for drunk girlfriends

Jesus Christ, has independent music become so fucking diluted and manufactured that people now think of all things that fucking Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend are "indie?"

7 nation army

they're literally the most important rock band of the 2000s

it's being used as a genre descriptor now not as the use you're thinking of

This. That riff gets chanted at football games in every country

Welcome to 10 years ago

EASY.
Andrew WK - Party Hard.
youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

This is the best suggestion in the thread so far. It's kind of like The Middle in that it hits in the intersection of the pop punk that was big in the beginning of the decade and the emo pop that it spawned to take over the middle of the decade, and Green Day is an iconic enough band for that song to stay in popular conscience for decades.

Queens of the Stone Age - Noone Knows
Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Maps
Broken Social Scene - 7/4 Shoreline
Passion Pit - The Reeling

plenty to choose from, just google Ipod commercial's ffs

No
Those are all garbage

buttrocker

Numale beta millenial

this is the derivative dribble you listen to, isn't it?
youtu.be/tuK6n2Lkza0

100 percent garbage
Music for rent boys

None of these were big enough to be the rock song of the decade. Smells Like Teen Spirit is iconic, everyone knows it. I don't think there's a song as big as SLTS from that decade, but there are way bigger ones than the ones you picked.

Enema was 1999

Kryptonite by Three Doors Down or Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes