Are there any indie rock/pop bands that are in their primes right now...

Are there any indie rock/pop bands that are in their primes right now? It seems like that whole scene died out in the late 00's and now the genre is incredibly stale and derivative

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qmyHdQPQ738
youtube.com/watch?v=8kGpywbnPMI
youtube.com/watch?v=Em5qe9j9Oms
youtube.com/watch?v=xykuu_pVZak
youtube.com/watch?v=1hXQhle7M5c
youtube.com/watch?v=uzJQ7EF_ti0
youtube.com/watch?v=ybzSWlpgJOA
youtube.com/watch?v=NRfk9u2ZEg8
youtube.com/watch?v=Tr9iwfH4VGA
youtu.be/oIBmiSWSSLk
youtu.be/JCZKC6x9zlU
youtu.be/95hGO8ZI_zw
youtu.be/7FAVrWqnCdo
youtube.com/watch?v=P2rPHqj-9ss
twitter.com/AnonBabble

gizzard

there hasn't been a passable indie pop/rock record since 2009 with Girls' Album

King Gizzard, Mac DeMarco, Ty Segall, Deafheaven (yes, they're indie pop/rock), latter-day Strokes and LCD Soundsystem are all hot garbage

Car Seat Headrest

Rozwell Kid

I liked car seat headrests when they were blowing up. And the black lips. I think those are the only few current rock bands I’ve liked since like 2006. And the growlers a little.
Currently now? Nope don’t know of any

The term was overused until it became meaningless, so now everything and nothing is "indie". When Slanted and Enchanted and Pure Heroine somehow make it into the same genre you can be sure the genre designation is useless.

is car seat headrest really a sign of vitality and progression in indie rock music though? i don't think anyone would deny the possibility of making a good indie rock album in 2017, but i think a lot of people would contend (myself and apparently OP included) that there isn't really anything new coming out in the genre. i would never say it's impossible, but it seems increasingly unlikely with each passing year of blind lo-fi '90s worship and navel-gazing

>I liked car seat headrests when they were blowing up.
Teens Of Style and Teens Of Denial are hot garbage though

I am so glad indie's dead. Worst genre of music. Lazy faggots making repetitive music with little happening in it, then proclaim how much better they are than everyone else when they made the laziest shit imaginable. Fucking obnoxious unbearable personalities as well.

when Alex G and Affirmative Action: The Bands (Girlpool, that trans punk band) are the vanguard movement of your genre, your genre is stuck in the mud and never moving forward again

youtube.com/watch?v=qmyHdQPQ738
youtube.com/watch?v=8kGpywbnPMI
youtube.com/watch?v=Em5qe9j9Oms
these guys are really good

>Are there any indie rock/pop bands that are in their primes right now?
alvvays
alex g
mac demarco
connan mockasin
frankie cosmos
mitski
julien baker
big thief

im sure Sup Forums hates majority of these listed. but they have some fantastic stuff in their discogs.

i've never met an indie musician who was kind. the combination of affluent upbringing, nihilism, unintelligence, and lack of technical ability add up to some of the most entitled (to sex, money, praise) pricks on the planet for the two or three years they play music in college before they join daddy's hedge fund or the PR company he owns that got them to the Coachella stage

youtube.com/watch?v=xykuu_pVZak
Sunflower Bean

so fucking plebbit/r/indieheads

t. bitter affluent white boy whose soundcloud project never got off the ground

indie has always been lame. its not just now.

i've never attempted to make music in my life. i just am pretty disgusted by the way many of my close female friends have been treated by band boys and revolted by how pseud they all are. seriously, have you ever had a conversation with some guy with messy hair, a rolled up white t shirt, black jeans, and vans who wants to explain why anarchism is the way in between bong rips? fucking worst situation imaginable. i'd rather talk to a missionary.

Indie bands are indie bands regardless of what demographic praises them. Not much exists outside of the r/indieheads bubble, I don't understand your criticism.

Girlpool, Beach Fossils, Adult Mom, Mac Demarco, Big Thief and Fazerdaze are all artists that have put out good solid albums this year, I'm expecting good albums from Alvvays and Japanese Breakfast too. They aren't strong enough releases to keep a genre thriving and whatnot, but indie isn't dead.

lol none of those are good and beach fossils hasnt been relevant in 10 years. i liked them when i was a tween before they ever released an album

hahahahaha

what's your favorite album of the year so far

Felicia Atkinson's Hand in Hand is pretty good

I mean yeah some good/decent indie albums have been coming out but they're still all pretty forgettable, the genre doesn't seem to be moving towards anything or going anywhere. I don't think anyone's going to be talking about the new Adult Mom album in 5 years

i mean fuck look at White Denim. Gorilla vs Bear held out for so so long trying to promote rock music and was obsessed with that band and they're a literally who? now

There is a decent amount of serviceable indie rock around if you are willing to sift through some Bandcamp artists music. What I can't stand to this day is all the hooks-are-for-squares-man "songwriting" going on in a lot of these tuneless/wannabe/hacky flavor of the month drivel that gets hype from Pitchfork/Spin magazine then forgotten the next week.

all the talent is in electronic music.
sorry whiteys nobody wants to hear you revive dead genres anymore
youtube.com/watch?v=1hXQhle7M5c

What are your favorite indie albums?

>sift through Bandcamp
i'd honestly rather submerge myself to my eyeballs in sewage from an Italian cruise ship than sift through Bandcamp to find my newest musical interest

So who were the old indie kings?

Arcade Fire? Animal Collective? The Decemberists?

this kind of stuff youtube.com/watch?v=uzJQ7EF_ti0

>electronic music
>talent

There's no talent in indie or electronic music.

lmao keep lying to yourself
the groundbreaking stuff is happening in electronica.
youtube.com/watch?v=ybzSWlpgJOA
this bitch is getting a phd at stanford

Yeah, I can't think of any current releases that sound similar to this, so I understand your criticism. What are your thoughts on artists like Stereolab and Girls?

Death Cab For Cutie? Seems every 20 something college girl loved them.

>What are your thoughts on artists like Stereolab and Girls?
good

Why are these guys so overrated on here?

We beg to differ.

who

it's summer and teenagers are obsessed with this band

Japanese Breakfasts album has leaked senpai

>King Gizzard
They're psych rock. The only thing indie about them is that they're on an indie label.

Favourite buttindie album?
>pic related

Guess I'll go check it out then.

Yo La Tengo.

Yeah and even basic stuff like MGMT, starfucker, of montreal, fleet foxes etc. That stuff is memorable and distinctly late-2000's, whereas the stuff paraded on /r/indieheads and pitchfork like car seat headrest and whatever 80s-nostalgia semi-ironic tumblr bandcamp synthpop flavor of the month band are boring and lifeless

>deafheaven
>in any way "indie pop"

are you retarded?

it just seems like the genre's stagnated and nobody's innovating or pushing anything forward and it all washes together

>The only thing indie about them is that they're on an indie label
That's literally what the genre is you dip

Come on. You gonna call some buttrock bar band's CD of Springsteen rip-offs "indie rock" if some asshole's cousin puts the record out?

Don't be dense. You know what I'm talking about. I take exception to King Gizzard because, unlike indie psych contemporaries like Of Montreal, Animal Collective, etc., they're doing straight up period-focused heavy psych with no indie pop affectations like the former.

I miss this

Quads of despair. Bandcamp isn't bad

what does getting a phd from stanford have to do with anything?

stupidest thing i've read on here. also this is dog shit. this isn't groundbreaking either.

>this isn't groundbreaking either.
post something better
oh wait you can't

>what does getting a phd from stanford have to do with anything?
academia has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to music. they themselves know what is the future.

stay mad child

you're delusional if you think stanford is influencing culture. more like following behind by a decade.

>you're delusional if you think stanford is influencing culture.
the delusional is on you to think otherwise. but none the less hs dropouts always act like they know it all.
enjoy your "Knowledge"

>posting on a website using a computer designed by someone at Stanford
>thinks Stanford is trailing the culture

since you requested this is atonal, has a visual accompaniment, and is groundbreaking and it actually is culturally significant unlike the stupid trying to be 90's cgi in your video

youtube.com/watch?v=NRfk9u2ZEg8

someone who graduated from stanford designed my computer, not wrote music i listen to.

this is better than that crap you just posted
youtube.com/watch?v=Tr9iwfH4VGA

That's because you're a pleb, not because Stanford isn't progressive

can't listen to music without a computer dummy!

genuinely laughed out loud

are you in high school trying to get in? i would never expect an adult to ride the dick of stanford this hard.

post your college grades right now.

>caring about gpa in college
wew lad. middling iq detected.

I want everyone who has posted in this godawful thread to die

t.failure

No, I go to an Ivy League grad school. I just like watching inadequate people get triggered

as long as your gpa isn't retard low it literally doesn't matter.

i'm mostly amused you thought it relevant to post that a musician has a phd. it's sort of ridiculous. you definitely have an authority/academia complex.

That wasn't me. I was dogpiling for fun

I'm surprised that "indie" is still used.

your mom is indie

CHVRCHES is indie pop

Good Up & coming, currently touring bands
>Palm
youtu.be/oIBmiSWSSLk
>Hop Along
youtu.be/JCZKC6x9zlU
>Pinegrove
youtu.be/95hGO8ZI_zw
>Charly Bliss
youtu.be/7FAVrWqnCdo

>some buttrock bar band's CD of Springsteen rip-offs
AKA the Hold Steady

Pinegrove on Audiotree is amazing

Built to Spill already perfected the genre everyone else should give up and go home

>beach fossils hasnt been relevant in 10 years

aren't you fun?

Alvvays is pretty damn good
>Affirmative Action: The Bands (Girlpool, that trans punk band)
Are they even very popular? Never heard of them myself

>Alvvays
>Floatation Toy Warning
>Mac DeMarco
>Alex G
>Car Seat Headrest
>Cvches
>Sufjan Stevens (arguably)

Adult Jazz
youtube.com/watch?v=P2rPHqj-9ss

These guys are one of few indie bands that I've heard in that last few years that are actually innovative and bringing some vitality to the scene

I think you are just asking what Dave fridmann has been working on. And I'm not sure why mgmt got mentioned in a thread about indie pop. Pretty certain all 3 of their major releases were on Columbia with exception to their early stuff... all of which is titties.

Major label band

Why is no one mentioning Chaz Bundick? He's almost entirely self published outside of the Toro Y Moi project and Carpark is a tiny label anyway.

fuck off chaz

Yeah chaz fuck that shit

We mentioned Toro y Moi. Just as pointless as talking about Will Toledo or Molly Rankin.

read the thread again faggot, nowhere to be found but my post and now yours

Indie rock tag is hijacked. That shit is fake. Everyone is enslaved to the conglomo cloud services now and they all slut it up for views.

>he doesnt realise indie as a term extends beyond labels now

Girlpool got BNM and that trans band whatever they're called keep getting coverage on p4k and Fader and all those

In the same retarded way that people use "aesthetic" as an adjective instead of a noun. It doesn't matter.

>Fader
they are the Polygon of music, they'll jump on anything hard-left

>they are the Polygon of music, they'll jump on anything hard-left
not true. they trashed pc music

you're a fucking pleb. how are artists supposed to start out? do you think they just magically come out of nowhere with 9/10 music? oh thats right you wait until the melon and P4K introduce them to you.