In a week I'm planning on driving across the country and checking out from society, AMA

In a week I'm planning on driving across the country and checking out from society, AMA.

Quick history:
>Worked in IT for 15 years
>No family
>No kids
>No friends
>Lived a simple, quiet life

Spent the last 10 years squirreling away money and bought myself 10 acres nestled in a valley in Montana.

My two weeks are in.
My last day in my apartment is next Friday.

I plan on building a traditional log cabin from trees that I cut myself. The property has a well (Being drilled) and I have water and mineral rights in the unlikely event I find anything worthwhile.

>TL:DR -
Spent 10 years saving to throw a wrench in a relatively stable life to go be a real-life mountain hermit, ask me anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

123movies.men/movie/LxRK6nGO-alone-in-the-wilderness.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you plan on taking anyone with you

Can I be your friend and come over?

have you ever built anything?
are you good with man tools, guns, axes, saws, etc?
are you innawoods prepared, or just suburbia?
do you have a backup plan?
if you said no to any of this, you're fucked

Will you have internet access? What will do for money?

Will it built up to legal housing standards and will you have TV/Wifi?

Does Cal of duty count?

Can I come with? I'm thinking we could arrange a sort of Brokeback Mountain situation if that's cool

No questions here, just some tips for your faggot ass.

>Solar energy. Use monocrystalline silicon if you want to mount them on the roof/use less space, or thin film if you want to set aside the space for an array. Look it up. Do it if you haven't already. The most worthwhile thing you can possibly do.

>Chickens. They're low maintenance, and they'll give you meat/eggs.

>Cows. You said 10 acres, so you could comfortably have a couple cows for yourself. Meat/milk goes further than a lot of people think. Cheese, butter, and ice cream are to be gained here.

>Garden. Fruits, vegetables, and wheat. Wheat for flour, which will last over a year in dry storage, or 2+ in the freezer. Also, learn how to properly can your shit so it doesn't go bad. Plant some herbs too, and just dry what you don't use immediately. For the first part, make sure you get heirloom open pollinated seeds, none of that GMO shit.

>Compost. You don't realize how much scraps and shit you'll produce. This helps that not go to waste. A worm farm helps the process, but isn't necessary.

>Invest in a rifle, if you don't already have one. Good for self defense and hunting. A handgun is nice too, but a rifle is the bare necessity. .270 at the very least, but .300 is a safer bet for anything you may encounter.

>A system for collecting rainwater. It's pretty cheap to set up, and well water won't last forever. if it's a long term thing, you may as well do it now rather than later.

Other than my dog, no.

Sure. Bring whiskey and ammo,

Spent a couple years building homes out of high school and my childhood innawoods. I have friends I've known for a couple decades within two days hike away should the roads/vehicle become fucked. Skilled with hand tools and firearms, target shoot for pleasure on the weekends, would hunt for meat before my desk job.

No internet. Have friends in a nearby town that will employ me during the winter months in a kitchen to put money away for the rest of the year.

Yes.

No and no.

No.

I strictly pitch and have a micropenis. I also sing 80's punk when I drink, which is often. Up to you broham.

Ever been face to face with a bear? Or a moose?

You're in for a treat son.

>Spent a couple years building homes out of high school and my childhood innawoods. I have friends I've known for a couple decades within two days hike away should the roads/vehicle become fucked. Skilled with hand tools and firearms, target shoot for pleasure on the weekends, would hunt for meat before my desk job.
in that case, i suggest you go camping for a couple of weeks first, and see how you make it cut off from society for a little while
you're pulling an "into the wild', and you'll end up the same way if you're unprepared

otherwise, good luck to you

Pretty cool actually. Good luck, watch out for bears.

Been watching Alone In The Wilderness a lot lately?

>Solar
Check

>Chickens
Great idea, hadn't crossed my mind.

>Cows
Don't really have a field for them, it's very rocky and steep in most places. Granted, I didn't comb over all the acreage.

>Garden
Have plans drawn up for a greenhouse and irrigation from stream to said greenhouse

>Compost
Check

>Rifles
Check and double check

>Rainwater
I was planning on setting up a tarp over my reservoir tanks to funnel down, should I dream bigger?

I don't have a tv. This has been my "plan" since I was a kid. Mountain hermits get it, people suck.

I appreciate all the good wishes guys. I was expecting a lot more people calling me a faggot.

>hasn't heard of Alone In The Wilderness
>moving to live in a cabin

the movie is about this guy, dick proenneke. he moved to some national preserve in alaska at age 51 and lived alone there until 82. he filmed a bunch of stuff and wrote a lot. the original movie is basically about building the cabin. it shows exactly what to do. i'm sure you already know things, but you may get some good use out of this movie. also it's a really chill movie

123movies.men/movie/LxRK6nGO-alone-in-the-wilderness.html

Except the thing that killed him was the wilderness, Not boredom or psychopathy. He was starved and while trying to find his way back towards society, he found out that lakes can indeed become uncrossable at certain times of the year.

These problems would not have been avoided with a two week camp-out.

no, what killed him was stupidity
he was a mile away from a bridge set up to cross the river during the spring/rainy season, but he never had a map and didnt know about it, and never bothered exploring the area before winter came

So a forth night of camping would have fixed it?

wat
a fortnight of camping was a suggestion to him, nothing to do with into the wild, other than implying he would be unprepared for what he's planning
if he can make it for two weeks away from society at least he has a better mindset for what wants to do, but no, it wouldnt be enough to prevent stupidity

If OP is stupid enough to do this without proper knowledge, two weeks wouldn't fix it. I think it sounds like OP did his research

are you a virgin?