Is college mostly just a big scam for anyone who isn't looking to be a doctor or a lawyer?

Is college mostly just a big scam for anyone who isn't looking to be a doctor or a lawyer?

Not if you have time to waste

>college
>high school textbooks

>implying college core classes aren't just abridged versions of high school classes that cost thousands of dollars

>2016
>becoming a lawyer

When a field starts to become saturated with women you should immeadiately jump ship.

No.
The liberal arts educational system is what built western society and is why western countries are superior to the Asians.

The problem with modern colleges is that the classical idea of a liberal arts education has been thrown out the window and shifted into kids getting super specific degrees like "Fifteenth Century French Feminist Literature" that are so niche that they are useless.

engineering

you can get a job with any fucking degree. getting a job is 90% networking and whether or not you're autistic or not. 10% is the degree.

This x100...

60s students graduated their fields and were into psychedelics and Fraudulent Poo in Loo counter culture... They were infiltrated by degenerate commie ideas and now they control our institutions of higher learning... Pic related.

high school education is so bad that many kids have to take tons of remedial courses in college

You're forgetting engineer

>Algebra 1 in college

OH I'M LAFFIN

It's a bigger scam yet for suckers who want to go to law school. You're a literal fool if you even think about going to a third-year toilet.

no shit. that's why when all these liberal kids scream for free college they should really be screaming for better high school.

I never said anything about getting a job, user.
When done correctly, yes, a liberal arts education will benefit you in any field. The classical idea of a lib arts education is the ability to think critically.

Like I said, the problem is that these lib arts courses are being replaced with major-specific courses and it's an issue with stupid majors.

>lawyer

Law is the biggest degree scam.
- Needing a degree to know what's illegal.
- Needing a degree to prove you've read some books.

Yes.
Thanks to the Internet people has access to thousands of GB of content.
And the bigger it gets the Internet the less are worth the degrees
There is people who literally has 0 education but is working next to CS graduates because they did some good open source project.
Same goes for garage genius.
But if you can go there without taking loans I can tell you that is a good investment.

>Medicine

Lol enjoy your $500,000 loans.

Doctors in America make fucking bank.

Going. To law school next year

The real problem with law is that it is fucking hard as shit to get a job after you graduate unless you went to a top tier school.

>high school textbooks

what the fuck

I did Algebra I when I was in 7th grade

how the fuck is Algebra I a high school class

Yes you numbskull engineers, doctors, pilots, nurses, lawyers ect. just show up to a job like "Hey you guys know my dad right?" and know the intricacies of their profession

But then we'd have to accept the fact that some people will fail to pass high school. There would be outrage.

Not anymore. Many are leaving medicine after Obamacare fucked up their salary

>Some people unironically believe this

I work in a supermarket and my store manager has a Masters Degree in Business and Economics and makes $96,000 AUD a year. I work 4 days a week 32 hours and make $52,000

>I don't know what Obamacare actually does

what's the alternative? It's probably not a good idea to spend a ton of money and indeb yourself if you're low on money. It's still a good idea to learn the ins and outs of a certain subject if you plan on working there, so cheaper college would be a good option.

don't forget engineer m80

>move to small part of the country with no niggers
>start at 200k because doctors are so in need in that low pop area
>debt forgiven after 10 years
ftfy

>Studied my ass off for GCSE's
>Studied my ass off for A-levels
>Studied my ass off for Law degree
>Joined the army as a regular

Not sure what happened but I don't regret a thing.

Law student grads have (literally) been suing colleges for fraud since there a no jobs.

Lawyers have some of highest rates of depression, substance abuse and job disfaction of ANY profession. Yes, odds are your plumber is happier than your lawyer. No, that's not a joke.

Almost all jobs that pays enough to quickly pay off a 100K in law school debt go to tier 1 law school graduates.

It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing

Econ master race here.

Pretty much guaranteed a job at Goldman Sachs or Salomon Brothers when I graduate.

Going to be rolling in cash, feels good.

Staymad poorfags

Kek, this.

Why the fuck would you join as a regular?

Because learning the law is literally all they do.
No skills, just reading law texts.

Nobody should feel entitled to a job after 4 years of that.

Sorry I should've been more clear. I meant that I didn't join the reserve. I joined the RMP. I did it because I never wanted to see myself sitting in an office for years of my life.

Niggers, spics, and dumb white trash

Not even as a lawyer?

Clep is your friend
CLEP
L
E
P

education system is an incompatible mess so every grade will reteach everything before it

My great uncle was one of the best lawyers in OK. I always wanted to be like him and it's depressing that I never will be. I know I could be excellent at the job but it's not worth the risk to try.

Studying law is just one requirement to become a lawyer.

It's like someone learning Latin and expecting to instantly get hired as doctor.

>thinking that you go to college for the education, not the connections and the prestige that comes with attending a top tier university.
Other than this, there's no reason to go.. you'll be putting yourself in debt for no real reason.

Also, those complaining that they're unable to find work in x field, that's probably because you're on the wrong side of the bell curve. There's only a surplus of bad lawyers, the good ones are still very much in demand.

>Is college mostly just a big scam for anyone who isn't looking to be a doctor or a lawyer?

College costs are skyrocketing.
This must mean wages are skyrocketing also, since it's so valuable to have a degree? No. Wages are stagnant, adjusted for inflation, since the 1970s for all but the most rich.

What does this mean?

You're being jewed by a bubble economy. Media and kike enablers tell you "people with degrees do better over a lifetime" using data from people who are so old, they predate this incredible rise in tuition cost.

Thus, the people currently in the system will get fucked over, while everyone's telling them it's okay.

University is a good way to spend several years playing video games in a dorm room and living alone for cheap.

What another user said, incompatible teaching methods create a huge fuckup of a simple class. Remedial math and English is thus commonplace in US schools. Compare them to Britain who graduate earlier than US students, those in US remedial courses are four years behind by the time they go to school. The whole system is fucked, not even Trump can fix it. Idiocracy was prophetic.

Isn't college free in Sweden?

Here they've only introduced massive student debts a couple of years ago.
Effects are still to be discovered, as nobody has graduated under the new debt yet.

>Atticus Finch

Very poorly meaned, old bean

t. /r9k/

The only thing that should require college degree is if you want to become a doctor or if you're some math genius and you're really good at theory.

The rest is literally a meme and a money sucking tool. You can learn nearly whatever you want now thanks to the internet, people do it for the fucking paper now only.
What you need is experience, experience and then more experience. Reading textbooks all day is numbing, boring and a fucking joke. You have to apply whatever you're studying or else you'll forget it.

What pisses me off even more is that they are still teaching in the hybrid way, as if people still don't know what will they do once they finish. Why the fuck should i care about chemistry if I'm planning to be a programmer? Fucking kikes.

>Is college mostly just a big scam for anyone who isn't looking to be a doctor or a lawyer?

The sum total of human knowledge is accessible from a smart phone nearly anywhere on the planet. There is no longer a need for these large, antiquated, and lumbering institutions to exist at all.

Sure, these schools served a purpose in a time when information could only be transmitted via pen and paper, but times have changed. We no longer have a need for central information hubs that store knowledge in the form of dead trees. Further, professors are no longer needed either. This is because the purpose they once served, being able to disseminate the information contained in dead trees and to help people understand it, has been replaced by online video and search engines.

We have no need for colleges any more. There is absolutely no reason to continue throwing taxpayer dollars into that are essentially nothing more than indoctrination stations for the cult of social justice. These schools are now theological seminaries propounding unreason and doctrine into the head of the young with the purpose of evangelizing others.

Networking you mouth breather. Just grad and already have 3 offers.

Where did you graduate from? What tier?

College professor here.

College is worthwhile for some other fields as well, such as Computer Science, basically any "classical" Engineering... in these fields you need a degree, it's a barrier of entry. Otherwise your resume will just be thrown in the trash. Think of the degree as an investment in yourself.

One of the things you have to realize is that a lot of what you learn will not be relevant in the field but learning it is a rite of passage. I see this complained about all the time, but this is reality, and arguing about it will do no good. Academic changes may come in time, but you can't afford to wait.

>College professor
>On Sup Forums

kek, fuck off

massive student debts?
what does a semester cost now in the netherlands?

I'm graduating next weekend and I can confirm college is 100% a meme

>Did moderately well in high school
>Got lucky enough to get full tuition scholarship to school
>Gonna graduate in 3 years with Electrical Engineering degree and no debt because I worked in high school and can afford housing
>Expected starting salary is 65k

It's a scam for people who didn't get in through merit and have to pay full cost

>you need the paper otherwise your resume will just be thrown in the trash
>still can't see the flaw

can't blame you, it's your job on the line

So Cal, comp sci undergrad. The only jobs that are hard to get are district attorney positions because all the type A try hards want to "put the bad guys away"

Network and have half a fucking brain in another industry and some business etiquette and it's not a nightmare at all.

liberal arts or gender studies graduate?

college was never a library though. libraries were always cheaper than college, the expensive part is the teaching.

how many amps in a volt you cunt?

Its a pyramid scheme everyone has to pay into. Most jobs require a 4 year college degree to do even the most simple of tasks. But if you don't want to be doing a shit teenager job for the rest of your life you have to do it
>inb4 people who got lucky w/o a college degree or went into trades(Not knocking trades but it does have a ceiling)
---------------------My story from another thread-----------

>2.5 years into my EE degree
>Get meh grades on gen ed classes
>Doing great in all engineering classes
>Until they hit me with an administration fuck up where they said I owed the school 4000$ (Then later on 2000$ more)
>Had to keep going from one office to another every week just to even start figuring out the problem or where they came up with such a large number
>Sent one whole semester into a tailspin with straight D's across the board

>Academic probation
>Told that I won't get any financial aid and would have to pay completely out of pocket, but all I have to do is get a 2.25 gpa semester grade(One class, get higher than a C)
>Passed it
>Took an entire semester off to pay them

>Paid them off in full last week
>Find out I have to re-enroll after just one semester off
>Then find out because I took the semester off put back on probation again although I took no classes
>And now I was considered continued probation which meant if anything happens next semester I would be academically dismissed(aka permanent record mark)

I asked the administrator how I was suppose to not take a semester off if I owed them money and couldn't register for classes at the time
>"You could have taken out a loan"

54 Credits
Have to transfer to another school
Most schools may only take 30 of my credits

Good game college bureaucrats good game

>Pic related when I realized I wasn't even fine wined and dined yet
>Didn't even take me to Olive Garden first

Why is it liberal to want free college

If you had to choose between the two would you really choose to pay when you don't have to?

>calculus, numerical analysis and differential equations are an abridged version of high school classes

What is your field?

Were you always stand out talented?

Do you have tenure, or are you on track for it?

Are you happy with your work so far?

It depends on what state you're in. I grew up in Illinois with its infamous education system. I think the only worse state is Florida. You probably grew up in a state with better education.

I don't think it is. Sometimes I do, but a lot of the classes I'm taking are necessary if I want to be successful in what I'm majoring in. I mean, who's going to teach me the material? I'm paying someone to help me.
Actually, I'm not even paying them. My classes are currently being paid for by the government lol.

Depends on the resistance of the cunt.

Be more explicit, I don't really know which problem you're referring to. But in any event, I don't really agree that there is a problem with jobs requiring degrees.

A degree is proof of a certain base of knowledge at minimum, not all of which is otherwise provable in a job interview.

No, leftism is about getting other people to pay for your shit

YES

Why is that so unbelievable? A lot of people on Sup Forums are from academia.

It's not a flaw you fucking moron.
You can't drive a car without passing a test.
You can't build steel structures without an engineering degree.

>lawyer
>not a scam

KEK. JD is the english major of grad school programs.
The market is incredibly oversaturated and you'll be lucky to get a job as a coffee-serving intern at a firm.

You should only go into law if your father or someone in your family owns a firm and can get you in.

Colleges were important before the Internet. Nowadays it's so easy to access information, most degrees aren't worth pursuing unless specialized instruction/equipment is needed.

But even as tuition/textbook prices are rising, kids are willing to go into debt for their "college experience".

>We have no need for colleges any more

I once read the biography of a famous Singaporean lawyer educated in Britain and after he graduated with honors and passed the bar finals, he was forced to commence a course of "dinners" for the next 18 months, basically meeting and eating with other students. Being in the late 30s, he was desperate to skip this bullshit and go straight back to Singapore to start working and earning money, but when he spoke with the dean, he told him "We teach the law. We do not PRETEND to teach the law. The purpose of the dinners is to make sure you meet and learn not only from fellow students, but from members of the Bar, to keep you in proximity of our courts, to keep you in the front row seat of our law being administered, through these dinners, you absorb the wisdom of our profession which no books can teach."

That book and that quote in particular stuck with me even after all these years. They teach you, they do not pretend to teach you, and everything they do is for a reason, even if it's something which could seem very banal, like eating dinner with other students and people currently employed in the profession for over a year.

Yes, I agree, attending college for anything other than something that will guarantee you access to a profession (doctors, lawyers, engineers, ect) is complete horseshit, but they do know what they're doing when they're educating you to obtain these degrees that will give you a profession.

of course!

I can just learn everything I know from sourceless infographs I see on Sup Forums like everyone else on this board.
more money for my anime figures.

Plumbers make pretty sweet money and besides the shit water, the work is not that bad.

>What is your field?
Comp Sci

>Were you always stand out talented?
Yes. The metric I use for that from a teaching perspective are surveys from my students. I'm well above my departmental and institutional average in all measures.

>Do you have tenure, or are you on track for it?
No, I'm just starting out and came from industry. I've been doing this for about 2 years. I would need to finish my PhD before that's on the table, which is the plan.

>Are you happy with your work so far?
Very happy, as I mentioned I came from the industry and I have to say that I enjoy teaching much more. Especially the lifestyle, it doesn't feel at all like I'm working a full-time job (I guess because I'm not).

Literally because niggers.

You have to understand. When I was in middle school (around 12-14 years old), the blacks in my classes literally could not read properly. They still did the whole "stutter and slowly/awkwardly sound out each syllable" thing that I hadn't done since I was like 6 or 7 years old. The niggers in lower grades like 4th grade that I encountered as part of student partnership programs couldn't even do that.

Things are better learnt when explained by a teacher, the better the teacher the better the learning.
The fact that you have to pay for it, and that there are SJW courses are other matters entirely to the fundamental need for universities...

ITT: cucks mad about their 150 lsat scores

lol you would believe the white trash found in those types of classes

Wisdom that he could understand mostly because he had previously absorbed knowledge.

modern college, yes. The only reason anyone still goes to college is because employers look for a degree. Training for most companies can be done entirely online, and you can learn everything you'd ever really need for almost any given job by just spending a few nights studying it online. But you still need the degree because it shows you can show up to classes on time, can listen at least enough to regurgitate what you're taught on a test, and aren't autistic enough to get kicked out of college.

That said, experience is quickly becoming more valued than a degree. Local IT jobs recently switched minreq from a bachelors in IT or computer science to a year's experience (with proof) hosting a website, or a portfolio with 8 functional programs with an actual application. Both of which you can do easily. Hell I could write up 4 programs in a night that did simple shit like respond to hotkey commands. just rip some code from AHK and most people looking over applicants can't even notice that shit.

>You can't drive a car without passing a test.
Oh really?
>You can't build steel structures without an engineering degree.
Because a general task requires 4 years of study.
They teach you many things at engineering but you'll work in one field only. You won't fucking build structures on day 1 then design fighter jets on day 2. The flaw is, you dipshit, is you're wasting your time on things you don't need. And the same thing goes if you want to become a dentist, 6 years, of which you need only 1.

>said the increasingly nervous pre-law student for the 300th time this year

Yeah I'm sure you will defy the very ling odds and become an employed lawyer.

Your argument is valid, but as far as specialization you are putting the cart before the horse. We teach students a vast lake of knowledge, but the lake is only a few inches deep. After exiting with a degree, you should be a generalist, not a specialist. Because specialization is not usually something you decide on prior to education - it's something that just happens depending on what kind of a job you end up getting. Certain parts of the lake (i.e. your knowledge) will get deeper on the job.

Free college not based on merit is a waste of taxpayer money

>Welcome to Sup Forums where prerequisites and gen ed classes are bullshit so be like me and drop out of school all together
It's a waste of time and manpower to try to teach classes that cater to your future profession. Most people take their degrees and do nothing they actually got their degrees in but something they found interest in a prereq class.

Seems like IT is becoming more and more like a trade honestly. The only jobs that absolutely require a STEM degree are those involved in 3d modelling and other math heavy areas.

I know, that's the entire point. The classes and tests are there for knowledge, the dinners are there for wisdom, something very different.

Nigger you realize professors primary job is to do research, right?