Give me some advice and encouragement to ride on the street with pic semi related

Give me some advice and encouragement to ride on the street with pic semi related.

>OP has anxiety to ride on street
>OP bought a bike thats $2000

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sbbo5TC9qVg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

uh i would too. 2 grand on a bike? shit that thing better have a motor cause i can buy a car for 2 grand that will last at least a year

Rich op will you please buy me a 25$ game?

since i live in a city where there are more bikes than people i've never had to buy one

If I were rich I would buy a Porsche
you pay 2 grand for bike that light, quick and has really nice components that will last a very long time

Why are you anxious to ride it? Nice bike btw

A 2k bike IS the porche of bikes

Do it op, I bought a $100 road bike from Walmart in high school and used to put 30 miles on it on a daily basis. Rode it on the road and never had any close calls, never even wore a helmet. Bike got stolen when I was in college in nigville, miss it all the time. Get your money's worth op

Why get a 2k bike? Are you suddenly an athlete because you duped by a minimum wage sales person?

You just ride, and gain confidence the more you are on the road. Make sure you have a bright front and rear light, and wear a fucking helmet if you're going on the road.

My advice:P

if you are thinking of buying a $2000 bicycle, and intend to ride it on the street,

..... it is a good idea to insist that they actually equip it with a pair of pedals.

--
Lance Armstrong.

i thought OP was more worried it was going to be stolen?

Dunno.

Maybe if I'm capable to handle low bar bike? (I did a test run around the park though and it wasn't hard)

Will car hit me because I don't know all of the traffic rules?

Am I too fat to ride it? (250 lbs @ 6'2)
>look a fat loser on a sport bicycle

There are much more expensive ones.
1k~2k and you have an excellent bike for that money. (I have alu bike, not carbon)

After that you only pay more to save less weight on the bike. (mine is about 18.5 lbs)

>Why get a 2k bike?
I wanted to buy a car instead... but I have some health issues and I need to "be moving" or I will be dead in next 10 years or so. Trying to get lean and shit, and I don't like that much going to the gym.

2k for a bike is a lot of money but for that price you are a buying a premium gear thats well made and thought.

Just fucking do it, OP. Seven months ago I bought a shitty $400 mountain bike and sold my car, because I'm insane. I rode it through winter, I rode it through rain, through heat, through heavy wind. I hadn't ridden a bike since I was a little kid. The first time I rode it to work (3 miles) it took me thirty minutes to get there, and an hour to go back. Now I can make the commute in almost the same time it took me to drive. I had apprehensions about biking in the street, too. I don't regret a goddamn thing. Just be aware that the bicycle lanes are actually safer than the sidewalk, to look out for hazards, and give a friendly wave and "thank you" to any driver that gives you the right of way.

So just get used to riding it on some calmer roads.
I've personally never judged fat people on bikes. getting fit is kinda the point of riding the bike (no idea what 250 lbs mean, I'm into metric.) Just be careful with your choice of clothes.

I'm locking bike with this inside my office (I can place it inside) and then its stored inside my house. I never leave it outside for more than 5 minutes, and if I have to buy something then I use a local grocery store that I can see my bike at all times when its locked to something.

I bought this bike last month, it makes me feel like a god, everything is so effortless.

>I'm into metric
Its about 125 kg, and bike is about 8.5 kg.

how much?

im moving to a small town in upstate new york and am looking for a really good all around bike, ill be living about 10 minutes walking from where ill be working so it's quite nice. Will also have a car but dont wanna use it really, come from a city where you have to drive 30+ minutes to get anywhere and am sick of it

fuck off nigger

Single speed is the best.

I believe the bike should be able to take it. You're not gonna lose weight without exercise and since you've bought such a fancy bike...

Barely anyone knows what an expensive bike is, the ones that do are going to try take it no matter what you do to prevent it. I have a Line BMX that sticks out like a sore thumb. The first day I got it, I leant it against a wall and walked to the side of the building for a piss, not even 12ft away, and three people turned up instantly and tried to grab it.

Get yourself a good D lock (U lock), as it saved my bike from being stolen by a group of bike thieves who got into my building's bike storage. A couple of expensive bikes next to mine had a cable securing them, and it literally did nothing.

£679

I couldn't recommend it enough, it's great in the city and on not so great roads. A guy I work with pointed me towards it, he has a 2015 version, it's incredible.

i'm as white as it gets

I'm thinking about buying a frame like this, is it good for riding? Doesn't feel to "low"?

I have this beauty in pic, paid about ~$1500

I had similar issues and irrational fear as you have currently so I give you some pro-tips to get you going:

Commuting/Fitness Mode

>wear a fucking helmet, I don't give a fuck if I look stupid or whatever if that can help to protect my head in an unexpected event if I wall somehow on the road

>bike lights, get at least super bright rear light - the car drivers will respect you more on the road and you will be visible like fresh shaved and moist horse pussy, get front and rear lights if you ride at night doh

>equip yourself extras such as water bottle, saddle bag, multi tool, spare tubes etc.

>get yourself a bike pack to pack Ulock (Abus - excellent choice) and pack some fruit like a banana that after 20 min of pedaling you can refuel your body and move on.

>let fear be your friend and build your confidence in these steps
- park roads
- calm roads with less car traffic and pedestrians
- bicycle roads
- normal roads

You can't jump from 1 to 5 immediately, take your time, learn about your bike and how it handles around corners and speeds. Think of it as process to great success. (the same applies to meet and fuck girls, small steps towards great fucking)

If I can do it so can you!

yea that's true, the only way i know if a bike is an expensive one is by picking it up and feeling how light it is...

shit that's expensive. available in the US?

Im used to riding BMXs so I don't think it's too low, but it's a 24" frame - I'm 6ft and it doesn't feel too small. It's really good for riding and getting a workout done, as you can't really sit down and ride all that well because all the weight ends up on the back rather than about equal spread when standing.

I figure it saves the expense of driving or public transport, it will eventually pay for itself.

I'm pretty sure they are available in US.

lol'd

A return bus ticket when I used to go to college was £4 a day, that shit adds up fast.

>IMO
I find this bars/position extremely uncomfortable.

Former bmx'er here too. I thought it was a 26' frame. I'm extremely comfortable with riding a mountain bike single speed since I got used to ride a lot the ol bmx.

Yep, public transport for me would be £7 a day, driving takes too long and is way stressful.

Not this guy, but this is solid. I would also say if you are biking any distance that isn't walk able to your house, you should learn basic bike maintenance. There are web resources and probably shops depending on where you live but knowing how to change an inner tube or keep thinks maintained is really important for heading out.

If you need pedals, and want to get used to clip-less, look to mountain bike ones, they work about the same as road shoes but are more versatile/easier to walk in.

And if anything hurts, more than slight muscle fatigue depending on how hard you ride, play with your bike fitting. You can look up how to do that on the net and do it yourself or go to a shop, but that can get pricey.

My bad, it is a 26". I love riding it, thought the 7 speed would be a bit shit but it works really well.

>I find this bars/position extremely uncomfortable.
For most of time I use just upper grab on the hoods (pic related) and moving on the "flat" area for more upright position. Staying in drop bar position for people that are not flexy (me) is quite cumbersome.

Hey OP, ex fatty here. Thanks to my bike I lost about 40 pounds of fat. Pic related, my mountain bike

noice bike m8

Opposite end of things for me I guess. I'm pretty skinny fat still, and have broad shoulders but don't weigh much, so I get battered by wind every time I go up straight. And I'm flexible enough to get in the drops so I spend a lot of time there unless I'm riding a flat bar, which is more often than I would like.

Wtf?! Mine is 20€ metro + buses a month in Madrid.
I have a bike, but metro + bus is dirt cheap

Post your bikes, folks.

Single speed is shit if you're using a bike for transportation

To each their own, buddy dude, guy.

They're shit unless you live somewhere with literally no hills

OK man. I'm used to it.

Its not OK.

Easy gears are for your knees to save them from any excess force you apply when you pedaling.

I fucking love people that spend a fortune on bikes and don't ride comp or in a cat.

I live in Manchester and you often see people riding top of the line treks, bianchi and cinellis that have no control and are slow.

If you're in a flat area just ride fixed or single speed, build something that looks shit but flies like the wind.

>I fucking love people that spend a fortune on bikes and don't ride comp or in a cat.

1k-2k for a bicycle is pretty much an entry level bike, wanna see fortune?

youtube.com/watch?v=sbbo5TC9qVg

What is it? That's beaut.

It really isn't entry level.
you can pick up ultegra or duraace grade kit form the previous year for a fraction of the price new. I picked up my Felt Z disk for £700.

Im not sure if its safer to ride toward traffic or with traffic. Ive done both. Just make sure you have front and back lights on if youre gonna be out at night or evening

Every Deliveroo cyclist on my end uses a single gear bike, so they must be.

Just seen this, aye I live on complete flat terrain.

Do drugs beforehand, and make sure you lock the son of a bitch up

no, 250$ steel frame is entry level my nigga

Ride with traffic, follow the rules and don't make it infinitely more dangerous by riding toward traffic.

How far does everyone commute to work?

I have a 15 mile commute. a little hilly at the start and end points, but nothing too bad. I can use the roads or on a track for ~12 miles that is tarmac, but gets pretty muddy (down a bank, in the shade, old railway track)

Am I better getting a road bike or hybrid?

Last time I cycled to work on my 10 ton, dual suspension mountain bike with knobbly tyres it took me 2 hours each way. I bought some road tyres that make a bit of difference. Would I benefit much from a road bike? I would cycle every day if I could get it down to 45-60 mins.

Its an old iron frame, single speed. Slick tire in the back, off road tire in the front. 26'x1.95 tires.

I would go hybrid.

>bicycle lanes

Wish we had these where I'm at.

Cyclocross bikes are a kind of best of both worlds. It will depend on how muddy exactly it gets as the drop bars and brakes aren't great for manoeuvrability but makes road a light trail better.

Just get some ass padded shorts too.

get a road bike, its made for longer rides and won't numb your hands

Can you expand on why? Is a hybrid much slower than a road bike?

I've always ridden for fun, like with my mates when I was younger - I did do a trip where we did 170 miles in 3 days once.

Done a few ~30 mile charity bike rides in the last few years, but these days, at 34, I don't cycle anywhere near as much as I used to. I'm new to anything other than a mountain bike and new to commuting to work.

3 different answers in 3 posts. Can you see why I am confused?

Where I am there are only about 3 in the whole town, and they merge into a bus lane. I ride a motorcycle so I always imagine everyone is out to kill me and it keeps me safe on a pedal bike.

Get a helmet camera also, my mate got hit hit by a car a few week ago and the guy sped off.

Mate you're only 34, you will adapt real quick.

Cause I like hybrids, and in your situation I would go hybrid.

Top things to do if you want to ride on a street: Get proper bright lights for the front and the back. Get a horn/bell that's reasonably loud. I also think some sort of storage pack/rack is helpful for most people, but there's reasons why someone wouldn't want one. The best protection against cars is not getting hit by one. That's why LIGHTS and SOUNDS are your best friend.

Look up ALL of the bicycle regulations for your city. Know them by heart in case something happens. For example in my city it's illegal to open a door into a bike lane. It's illegal to park in a bike lane. That way if someone does some shit where you get hit or you hit their car you know exactly where you stand before the cops get there. OFTEN TIMES cops DO NOT know the bicycle regulations.

Also don't ride like an asshole in the middle of the road on busy streets even if it's legal. Someone is gonna hit you for fun.

Also I forgot to mention since your bike is expensive DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE LOCK. Get a serious U-lock and STORE YOUR SPARE KEY IN A GOOD PLACE. If you're paranoid about people stealing your wheels you can add a cable to the U-lock, but honestly I wouldn't bother because I think it's a pain in the ass. Don't park your $2K bike in sketchy areas. The U-lock around the frame will stop 95% of the bike thefts which are just done by opportunists.

waiting for this one to arrive...
It isn't the best, i would have preferred the Canyon Urban 4.0 but it was out of stock...

Just relax OP, and if it's summer like in here, enjoy the views...

Good bikes don't usually come with pedals, or if they do it's cheap.

Classic elitist faggot chiming in about his one bike and lycra body suit. You spent 5k to go out in public dressed as a fucking woman in 1992.

Never worn lycra and bikes should be banned from roads.

The reason they don't come with pedals is because until someone buys the damn thing, they don't know whether to use platform or one of the clipless types.

Even saddles are just something cheap to keep the post out of someones ass until they put their preferred saddle on.

Seems to be a nice thing to ride? 26', 29'?

I believe it's 29'.
Ghost Square Times look it up