What's up with the 2010s that makes then such a cultural low point in modern history?

What's up with the 2010s that makes then such a cultural low point in modern history?

I don't think there's ever been a decade more devoid of significant art than this one.

I guess a big part is played by the rise of the internet. What other factors do you think contribute to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EmBXNE8gZvI&list=PL5p1p63m0oodT3EnSuW_9Z8zhmN2J4-3J&index=36
youtube.com/watch?v=0t7PnrelFdY&list=PL5p1p63m0oodT3EnSuW_9Z8zhmN2J4-3J&index=38
youtube.com/watch?v=C5wnDuFnumw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You said it. Internet.

Back in the 90s, early 2000s not many spend hours online. People would socialize more due to there being less apps, no iphones.

But now, too many are fixated with facebook games, with youtube and therefore Hollywood has stopped being dedicated and rather gone more with cash grabs and being desperate to draw as many people in to the cinema.

This is why BFG bombed at box office because kids are not interested in going to the movies. They are more interested to be on their phones.

everything went downhill when social media gave normies and the mentally ill a voice platform, then the kikes started to captialize on them.

Yeah I'm going to say social media is the biggest culprit.

The internet was fine up until ~2008, which coincidentally was about the time when social media started taking off.

Is it possible to truly evaluate it whilst living in the moment?
You aren't having the best stuff filtered through and the most mediocre stuff forgotten like you are for other eras.

Pick your cultural high point and I bet the people living at the time might have felt the same way you do.

Yeah, now everybody thinks they're hot shit

>like you are for other eras.
Yeah, because everyone here is twelve.

I'm older than most on Sup Forums I've lived through the 90s and 00s and have never felt about those decades the way I feel about the 10s

I'm enjoying it. The 00s were awful, early 00s especially, I mean, it was a cultural deadzone, it was just shit. A lot of the 90s was terrible as well.

fucking retarded frogposter you're probably only 18 years old to be saying this shit, 'significant art' only becomes seen through hindsight. No one was living in the 90s then said "This is what will define our time" and then 20 years later they were right. They were just as convinced as you that they lived in unremarkable times.

It was also coincidentally when you grew up
Really massages your melon, huh?

Which generation is growing up in a better entertainment time?

why are you spamming this shit? It's not even interesting or Sup Forums related

Because "modern history" just means what us awesome special 90's kids lived through, yeah?

The internet is ruining all media forms. Movies, television, books, video games, you name it.

>What's up with the 2010s that makes then such a cultural low point in modern history?

Complete dominance and control in the entertainment-sphere by the Left Wing.

Nothing can be daring any more, unless it's pushing an agenda a little farther.
Everything has to be safe and digestible to the Leftist audience or it doesn't get buzz and a million bazillion shares on Facebook.

>This is why BFG bombed at box office because kids are not interested in going to the movies. They are more interested to be on their phones.

BFG bombed because it was a terrible movie with a boring premise that didn't hook any viewers.

Literally everyone in history has thought the same thing about the present

Friendly reminder we are currently experiencing the 10's and have no truly valuable insight to culture and how it will apply to how culture is seen 50, 10, or even 5 years down the road.

>Complete dominance and control in the entertainment-sphere by the Left Wing
It's been like that forever. The problem is that the batshit vocal minority have a lot of influence now for some reason.

Even the left is getting sick of the shit now, so we're due for things to swing back soon.

>because kids are not interested in going to the movies. They are more interested to be on their phones.
Kid movies are routinely near the top of highest grossing films every year, what the fuck are you talking about?

A bunch of vague, meaningless buzzwords. Every fucking young person is "entitled" and "self-centered". There were also people bitching about Gen X and the Boomers being selfish. It doesn't mean anything.

PC era fucking sucks. Forced diversity and media pushing agenda that acting like some faggot in public is completely okay. Violence against people who don't share your views is okay. Free speech will die soon.

George Lucas ruined cinema with the Star Wars prequels then Marvel destroyed what was left of it with their formulaic pandering.

good music and good movies comes out every year for those who search for it

OP, are you sure you were born in the right generation?

>Violence against people who don't share your views is okay
This is one of the things that always shocks me now. That the same people who always cry "fascist" are the same people who inflict violence on others for voicing different opinions.

A while back in my city animal rights protestors were protesting halal slaughter of animals and got attacked by weapon-wielding thugs who called them "fascist". The hypocrisy is off the charts.

>letting yourself be beaten up by leftists
You deserve it you cuck

Over saturation and mass consumption of every media type.

No one needs 100,000 books on their kindle or 200,000 songs on their ipod and no one needs to watch 6 seasons of a TV show in 12 hours.

But people believe that's what they want/need to fulfill themselves.

Same with TV. People want an endless uninterrupted episodes of their favorite shows.

The shows people watch is largely driven by marketers using "you dont wanna be the ONLY one who isnt watching? do you?" technique.

Its disposable entertainment.

Remember when 'viral videos' werent a daily/hourly occurrence?

Its like we've gone from eating a restaurant which has mostly good food to an all you can eat buffet where everything is horrible.

Boomers are actually selfish though

You expect a group of animal loving hippies to crack heads in the streets?
I guarantee you don't live in a place with Antifa presence.

If you can't fight back against hippies you're worthless

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=EmBXNE8gZvI&list=PL5p1p63m0oodT3EnSuW_9Z8zhmN2J4-3J&index=36

youtube.com/watch?v=0t7PnrelFdY&list=PL5p1p63m0oodT3EnSuW_9Z8zhmN2J4-3J&index=38

If this were happening to Hillary/Bernie/Obama-supporters, it would be on the news round the fucking clock, being called "voter-intimidation" and "terrorism".

>George Lucas ruined cinema with Star Wars

FTFY.

Can't really blame him though, it's the people who ate it up.

When a movie as shallow as Star Wars becomes a "cultural phenomenon",
you know shit's fucked.

In 2006 the 90s were already defined by Grunge and had a distinct flavor

It's 2016 and the 00s seem vague and indistinct

>Violence against people who don't share your views is okay.

Only if you're a Leftist.

Did you see what they're doing to people "without being violent" too? They basically surround you with their bodies, and walk in a certain direction so that you have to touch them if you want to escape, and then they start crying rape and assault, and you get arrested.

The animal rights group are the hippies. Antifa are thugs who look to hurt people for thinking differently than them.

it's not like there was 9/11 or a wave of nationalism/patriotism or the gay rights movement or the great recession or the popularization of the internet or anything else

and if you say those don't count, then a genre of music doesn't count

>What's up with the 2010s that makes then such a cultural low point in modern history?

This is mostly only true of movies and music.'

We're currently undergoing a renaissance in the world of Television where some of the best shows ever made are being produced.

You want a "cultural low point" in Television?
Look at the early-to-mid 2000's. When reality-television completely dominated the prime-time landscape.

Are you really scared of a bunch of women and faggots?

What's wrong with violence against opposition?

As long as you're better at it, you remove the opposition. Sounds like a win in my book.

Other people's ideologies are shit, that's the reason (You) don't align with them, so why should they exist?

No, the problem is that they have the entirety of the state apparatus behind them, see and that's something to legitimately be afraid of.

Modern Leftists legitimately are some of the most disgusting, vile people on Earth.

Looks more like Obelix to me.

>What's wrong with violence against opposition?

Because it's uncivilized AND mutually destructive.

It also legitimizes the societal ill of correctness always being aligned with strength rather than with logic. There are plenty of retarded ideologies out there with plenty of people to throw into the fray and insure victory.

>They basically surround you with their bodies, and walk in a certain direction so that you have to touch them if you want to escape, and then they start crying rape and assault, and you get arrested.

Has anyone caught this on video?
Legit sounds like something these insipid morally-bankrupt cucks would do and be proud of.

Evola was more forgiving than today's hardline left.

Like I said: you have no idea what Antifa is. Probably American.

Think of the stereotypical violent thug image everyone had of neo-nazi skinheads back in the 90's. They're the left wing communist version of that.

>It also legitimizes the societal ill of correctness always being aligned with strength rather than with logic.
Might is always right you cuck

That bitch really deserves to get gang raped by a pack of rapefugees so she has something real to cry about

I had a look on youtube but couldnt find it but i've definitely seen it.

A guy is stood up on a ledge with a bunch of protestors, they start trying to get rid of him for whatever he was doing and then a girl walks into him and starts yelling that shes being assaulted by him.

I think eventually she pushes him off the ledge.

Rly noogies the noggin tbqh

>it's not like there was 9/11

Ehhhhh

>or a wave of nationalism/patriotism

This happened in the 80s as well.

>or the gay rights movement

That's been growing enormously since the 80s and 90s
>or the great recession

It was big but no decade defining

>or the popularization of the internet

Internet became popular in the 90s, it just grew more these days.

>and if you say those don't count, then a genre of music doesn't count

Just because you say this doesn't make it true. Where is the culture of similar fashion? Bell bottoms of the 70s, shoulders pads and big hair of the 80s, ripped jeans of the 90s, where is the great music that will be passed on, the great handful of movies that will be passed on?

It's not even a complaint, things are better than ever, but the're different.

>Because it's uncivilized AND mutually destructive

The world has been at war with itself globally in the last 100 years more than ever in recorded history, and yet it's also the most civil.

Correctness IS aligned with strength. Logic is just the method of applying knowledge against however you view the context, I.E. ideology.

Your logic isn't inherently better than mine and vice versa, but I'd clearly be more willing to shoot you in the face and bury the body.

Hypothetically, of course.

>History is written by the victor

dr. robotnik is a cop?

Globalism was a mistake.

Letting retards everywhere have smartphones was a mistake.

The rest is easily inferred.

>trying to fix the left with logic

good luck with that

good question op

i blame nolan

>Correctness IS aligned with strength.

You are the dumbest human being on the planet. So if a 7 foot guy thinks you fucked his girl but you didn't, he beats the shit out of you until you're almost dead and he's the one in the right? What the fuck is wrong with you? Why would you even say this you fucking retard?

>Has anyone caught this on video?
There's some videos where they're chasing Matt Forney across the city and into a subway but that wasn't this specific technique, this was just "20 people follows a lone guy wherever he goes and films him", IIRC they did the "surround him with their bodies" thing in the Melissa Click scandal on those university protests, if you remember the Asian cameraman or whoever. Or on some other protests that happened at the same time, sorry if I'm not very helpful, my memory is shit.

That's actually a well known tactic from way before the SJW bullshit, except you'd steal the guy's camera/ID/etc. and rough him up, that's been done in a lot of protests, gatherings, etc. Hell, that's what Germans did to the Jews, that's how people were roughed up by a mass of "good comrades" in Eastern Europe... in the old days you might get knifed by someone in the group and "no one saw anything we were just trying to talk to the guy".

youtube.com/watch?v=C5wnDuFnumw

It's also how the people who can't be mentioned or the Stasi gets you in Europe behave when they're out in public in a group.

The added bonus of the rules/laws being autistically enforced against only one side is something that the state does when it wants to get rid of a certain troublesome element but doesn't want to do it directly.

>Where is the culture of similar fashion?
You think in a couple decades you're not going to be depicted with an undercut, hipster beard, prescription-less glasses, tight pants and oversized cardigan in media that depicts this era?

Not everyone had shoulder pads or bell bottoms. That's just lasting imagery.

Well that's what Darwin said so what's the problem.

fuark.

remember when you would go to a different town or city and there were different shops and interesting places.

These days entire shopping malls are entire carbon copies of eachother, no variety anymore just the biggest chains who have choked out the smaller local shops.

I used to think all this stuff was bullshit, but it really becomes obvious, especially when youre after something unique or specific.

>Correctness IS aligned with strength.

Except it isn't. There are COUNTLESS historical, and even modern minor and practical instances, where the person in the factual or moral wrong just happened to be more physically powerful.

Reality is not written by the victor.
You can shoot as many people as you want, it won't make the sun orbit the earth.

>have a lot of influence now for some reason.
SOCIAL
FUCKING
CANCER
MEDIA

Twitter, Facebook, was a mistake. See , it lets any braindead faggot with a phone post something and garners "followers".

The idea even of "followers" is insulting; it implies people are unable to think for themselves and need someone to give them opinions or ideas about what should be done/thought about in life, whether it be political or simply entertainment.

Nothing wrong with the internet.
I've had access to lots of different things I would never had decades ago and I've discovered so much great music which I would never hear played over mainstream radio or TV.
That said, I do agree with some people in that there is an over saturation of garbage media, specifically Hollywood movies, and that most people probably shouldn't be allowed to have access to the internet.

Why did you ever think it was bullshit though? I'm not American so maybe I haven't been indoctrinated into it since a young age, but to me it was incredibly obvious when it started happening in my country.

[You think in a couple decades you're not going to be depicted with an undercut, hipster beard, prescription-less glasses, tight pants and oversized cardigan in media that depicts this era?

Almost certainly not. That's like how goths are a subculture, not the mainstream, and no decade depicts this as their staple fashion.

the past always looks better than the present

Well, I hope you get beaten to death tomorrow for something that isn't your fault.

What's the problem?

>Internet became popular in the 90s,
Yeah but it was never an integral part of everyday life in the 90s
You could not have an Internet connection and be considered normal in the 90s
YouTube and social media have changed all that to the point where you're considered weird if you don't have a Facebook account and the quickest and most powerful form of news, communication and cultural dissemination is almost exclusively through the Internet now

this is a social media site too

I've seen plenty of people who've let Sup Forums form their opinions and ideas on things

>and that most people probably shouldn't be allowed to have access to the internet.
what did he mean by this? sounds like a thinly veiled way to preserve his precious safe space, imo

because globalist jews control our culture with their SJW lackeys

>tfw you see people excited about having a few hundred thumbs up on a youtube comment they made.

Fuck.

Also the amount of made up "news" on social media is staggering and fucking scary when you see how many people just believe this shit at face value.

Social Media ruined the Internet, and the Internet ruined a generation of kids starting around 2002-2003. It has stunted an entire generation, and social media is only stunting it harder.

>but you didn't

Whose to say? You're acting as if truth is intrinsic, and that everybody follows it.

Truth is ironically a relative concept.

>Where is the culture of similar fashion? Bell bottoms of the 70s, shoulders pads and big hair of the 80s, ripped jeans of the 90s, where is the great music that will be passed on

Because culture is in an age of decadence. Whatever the 21st century's defining conflict is will start another age of art, assuming humanity doesn't go extinct.

>That's like how goths are a subculture, not the mainstream
That's a good point. But I think some of the fashion I listed is much more prevalent than goth ever was.

I never saw regular people adopt goth fashion back in the day. But most regular people of today have picked and chosen aspects of hipster fashion and made it mainstream.

There are still great movies being made. They're just not being made in Hollywood, they're not getting awards and they're probably not making any money.

I highly recommend everyone close all their social media accounts and never ever go on any social media website ever again.

Best decision I've ever made

So what's your excuse for Zootopia and Frozen being popular with kids? Oh

Im from the UK.

As a young kid I kind of saw the decline of these smaller retailers and I think I just fell for the "bigger must be better" meme.

Then after shopping/working in them for many years you realize how stagnant they are, devoid of any unique properties, they even tell you which side of your shirt to wear your name badge.

That's also when niggers got online thanks to smartphones. Twitter is overrun with them.

This for the most part, but keep a normiebook handy in case you ever apply for anything. They might can you if they think you're a creep with no social media.

????

>Also the amount of made up "news" on social media is staggering and fucking scary when you see how many people just believe this shit at face value.

This. I'm willing to bet half of Hillary's voters that aren't just outright dogma-driven Leftists are voting for her because they saw on Facebook some "satire website" post a fake news story about Trump saying something he didn't say.

i've never had any social media accounts and i'm still a retarded buffoon

don't fool yourself

>Did you have sex with my girlfriend?
>Who? No, I'm a virgin actually

And then he beats you to death with his fists because truth is ironically a relative concept.

Your mother should have aborted you with turpentine.

>Truth is ironically a relative concept.

This is SJW logic right here. They're all about "subjective reality".

It seriously is addictive. Why do you think people waste so much time on Facebook?

The idea of thumbs up, likes, favorites, etc all being publicly viewed is something that helps two things (nowadays, when back in the day it could have been a good measure of production or creative value):
a) marketing impact
b) reinforcement of your actions (i.e. I must do this again)

It's a vicious cycle and we see why we're do dependent on others.

Why do you think shitposting on Sup Forums past-2013/Baneposting is so out of control? The mention of ""(You)s""? Because people want attention. They have that addiction. They NEED to be acknowledged.

Ironically I know I'm posting this, but I've found myself after long introspection and therapy over the years to find to be ok with myself (somewhat), even if this post gets NO replies.

Simply put, the rest of the world has caught up to "shitposting" in their own forms of media, whether it be social media or imageboards or fucking using actual publishing establishments.

Smartphones are probably a huge culprit too.

Before smartphones when you left the house you were actually disconnected from the Internet.

You're lucky for being from a rich country, in poorer countries they tell you how many times you can go to the bathroom, force you to wear diapers during your shift, and make women wear red bands on their wrists when they're menstruating, so they're allowed an extra toilet trip per day. Capitalism with Asian values!

This it gives those unqualified a voice which before would never be heard except by a degeneration of children. I vote we only listen to those qualified in their special fields.

And then the police come and say
>what happened here?
>he fucked my girlfriend then came at me with a gun.
>well, you were obviously stronger and as the victor it is your right to write this portion of history, you're free to go, sir.