Could someone actually do the math on this?

Could someone actually do the math on this?

Depends on the size of waterfall, cant do the math without missing parameters

depends. are those towels brand or store budget brand

Depends on the waterfall. Depends on the width and length of the rolls. Etc.

>can someone do the math on this?

>Shows no approximation

No

We need a waterfall to pull data from.

Make assumptions. e.g.
Niagara Falls vs the toilet paper rolls you have in your own home.

What kind of weapons do they have. Did either take self-defense or martial arts classes?

Twist: the paper towels are made of antimatter

When you say 'vs', what is your definition of a 'winning' outcome?

Also, how is the 'battle' going to take place? In wood format, toilet paper may easily obstruct a waterfall

The toilet paper dries up all the water. From top and bottom, (can assume this includes any river that leads to the ocean but don't include the ocean itself)

So let's assume that the waterfall is Niagara Falls and the Towel rolls are Bounty brand. Each towel sheet can absorb 4.4 mL of water, and there are 44 towels per roll. So each roll can absorb 0.1936 L max. So 100 billion rolls can absorb 19, 360, 000, 000 L. About 2, 200, 000 liters flow across Niagara falls each second. Those rolls can stand up to Niagara Falls for about 2.4 hours.

Average waterfall vs. average paper towels.
op here

finally some numbers

Okay, 3160 tons of water flow over the falls every second. A square foot of paper towel absorbs about 1 1/2 (liquid) ounces of water. A standard roll of Bounty has about 45 square feet of paper towel.

I've soaked up half cups of water with like 6 or so paper towels so that seems a bit underestimated in terms of water absorption. Regardless, seems like the paper towels could "only" win for under a day. I'm not sure what's more impressive, that the paper towels could last that long or that Niagara falls carries so much water.

Are you guys retarded? Do you even grasp how much 100 billion actually is? Waterfall loses.

How much would 100 billion weigh?

don't use retard units

lol this guy just did the math. I guess it depends on how you define the waterfall losing, but the waterfall doesn't really take as long as you'd think to win.

Units are irrelevant. Mass is mass, regardless of the numbers on the scale. Don't be a stuck-up prig.

Water falls have continuous rivers/streams feeding the so water fall always wins eventually, the real question is how long does that take.

I think his assumption of adsorbency is off.

You'd need about 5 sheets.

Both win and lose, based on the assumptions that you decide to make.

Unless they all somehow get placed there all at once they're just going to get swept away. It's a waterfall what do you think will happen? What's going to stop them from going down the river?

Actually...millenial detected

A Sainsbury's Basics Kitchen Roll is 215g, so 100 billion of those is 21500000000kg... The weight of roughly 118498 blue whales.

Units define mass!
And using a retard unit just makes it stupid counting how many 1 1/2 ounces it takes to dry 3160 tons...

Also you have to account for how the paper towels are brought into play. For it to have any real effect they would have to be introduced almost instantly. Even if you could drop hundreds of thousands at a time (like out of a fleet of cargo planes) the initial bouyancy would allow many of them to be washed downstream.
My favorite brand.

Some one did the math on this.
They worked out that 1 billion paper towel rolls would stop niggard falls for approximately 5 days.

This discussion is Game Theory levels of pointless and stupid.

Yeah I agree but it wouldn't be off by more than a factor of 10 IMO.

A waterfall transports x amount of water per second. Paper towel rolls can only absorb a fixed amount of water. So unless there is a time limit, the waterfall always wins.

You're a retard. The water hasn't gone anywhere and will just drain out of the paper towels like a small stream, or the water will fall, therefore the waterfall will still be falling water. The waterfall would exist for the entire 2.4 hours showing that paper towels are just another fucking government cover up.

lol

Yes

/thread

nice comeback op

100 billion paper tower rolls all placed together in the same area would be enough to create it's own gravity.

the center would be crushed under the pressure and it would create some sort of nuclear fusion.

The tides of the earth would be affected, the earth itself would slow down it's rotation and the waterfall would cease to exist as the shear size of the paper towel mass would bend gravity around it, causing the waterfall to fall towards and around.

The earth would cool at a phenomenal rate, entire species of bugs animals and plants would die, the climate would become inhospitable to all the but the most adaptable and the earth would forever be changed.

fuck bro...

No need for math. Waterfalls last for thousands if not millions of years. No matter what, the towels will eventually run out.

Depends on the brand of towel

Physics existed before measurement of physical properties. Boiling water doesn't care if you call it 100C or 212F, it's still going to boil.

Paper towels and waterfalls are actually essentially the same thing. Same exact molecule.

Unless it's 99c or 208f

I can plug up a toilet with less than 1 roll of paper towel, so i'm pretty sure i can plug up Niagara with 100 billion of them. Paper towel doesn't need to absorb the water to 'win'.

The paper towel would eventually become a wet mush and the water would leak through, it would look something like your mother's pussy after she forced your fat fuck ass out

Once the paper towel reaches capacity water moves through. They will reach that loint in seconds. Paper towels would never win. Our water would look like shitty asian soup.

Changes in atmospheric pressure notwithstanding. Let's assume 1 atmosphere. Or 1.013 bar.

The paper towel molecule is a lot dryer than the waterfall molecule

> Every drop of water on Earth travels the world in a thousand years. Even if 100 billion paper towel rolls could hold that much water (which is not, by far) the whole paper will vanish long before the last drop of water arrives at the top of the waterfall. Paper towel is not meant to last that long.

So you're telling me the atmosphere is made up of boiling water??? Are you dumb?

> Well, about 6,000,000 ft3 of water goes over Niagra every 1 minute. According to a study by the University of Michigan, one sheet of Bounty absorbs 33.6 mL in 1 minute. A standard roll of Bounty has 44 sheets, so that's 1,478.4 mL of water absorbed by a roll in 1 minute. 1,478.4 mL is 0.0522 ft3 , and doing the proper calculations (6,000,000/0.0522)... That would come out to around 115,000,000 rolls of paper towels to soak up all the water sent over Niagra in 1 minute.

100 Billion divided by 115,000,000 is 869.56
In conclusion, 100 billion paper towels will absorb 869.56 minutes worth of "falling water."

> 100 billion paper towels = 14.5 hours.

2.7 × 10 to the power of 13, grams of paper towells vs 100.000 cubic feet per seconds of water, you would fill up the entire reserve with paper before it would even fill up

Depends how you apply the paper towel to the spill.
If you used a roll it would take longer to absorb than a single sheet, so 40% of your initial paper towels that aren't weighed down properly are gonna float away, 40 billion paper towels osn't that much we go through about that every day at the kfc where I work

You're either profoundly retarded, trolling, or never studied physics. I'll assume trolling.

Are the paper towels made of diamond or a harder metal known to man?

need more to work with here user.

Thank you for the comment. You seem like a Reddit user. Welcome to the site how are you liking the random board?

Gold is the strongest diamond

asshole

I've actually never been on Reddit other than the occasional visit to check on home theater discussions. I actually like it here very much, thank you.

False ! According to recent scientist papers, platinum is the strongest diamond.

Average paper towel

.27kg x 100 billion =

27 000 000 000 kilograms

Enough mass to bend spacetime and have its own gravity

probably the most accurate ITT

Haha xD glad to hear!
Everyone on Sup Forums is really friendly
Here, have a cool pic to save and share with your chums! (dont worry you can download it for free)

It's so yellow and funny! Where did you find it?!?

Platinum has such a short half life that it completes the game before you can see it with your eye so they dont use it for making any stuff cos it would dissolve in the dish washer

Lmao facts. lets imagine that there is a platform at the bottom of the waterfall. Rather, a grate type flooring. This way the paper towels could not absorb any water floating in the pool. The towels will ONLY absorb what is falling. (Lets just imagine.) If all of the towels are unraveled, or raveled, the amount of water absorbed will remain the same, however, the amount of time it takes for the water to be absorbed will change. By unraveling the paper towels, you cover a large area, in theory, preventing water for slipping past. It would take 14.5 hours minimum for 100Billion unraveled paper towels to fully absorb. It would take a longer (unpredictable) amount of time if they were still raveled up, but the amount of water absorbed will remain the same.

>Also, waterfalls are constantly falling. 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 paper towels will eventually dissipate as well. The waterfall will always win.

>is using Reddit as an insult
>is repeating a joke

Not in my dishwasher. It doesn't even dissolve spaghetti sauce.

Thanks Lori

>writing is in greentext

WINRAR

Yeah you gotta rinse those plates dog else you gonna be scrapin your plates with a sponge dude

Did you get the Gold DLC pack for the spaghetti washer on the Steam sale?

You retards, that's 27 million tonnes. The great pyramid in egypt is about 6.5 million tonnes, so only a little more than 4 times the weight. So in terms of affecting gravity FUCKING NOTHING.

obvious.

When in Rome, faggot

waterfall = 90.000 cubic feet/sec vs paper towel that can absorb 7 grams a piece , thats 700.000.000.000 grams of water - looks like the waterfall will be as dry as 10 saltines in the mouth at once (waterfall looses)

That's what I've never understood. Why even have a dishwasher if you have to wash the plates beforehand? Seems like a waste of energy.

I missed the sale, but I only play minecraft.

If dig down to layer 12 in minecraft you have better odds of finding paper towels then other layers.

no...that's 27 billion you ignorant fuck

Because a dishwasher pays for itself after you rinse like 20 plates through it man. If you wash your dishes in the sink you're gonna spend all your money on water

1 tonne = 1000kg fucktard Lern 2 math.

Is it more cost effective getting paper plates vs spending money on water and electric running said dishwasher including the initial purchase of said dishwasher?

affecting gravity lol - you would need a lump of rock the size of the moon to provide a visible change - something like 75.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 Kilograms - then you would affect something visibly

Does mount everest effect the earth in any way?

Imagine another one.

People like you make me sick. Eating off of fucking trees that provide us with the paper towels we use to soak up a waterfall

Mt everest compared to the earth is like compairing a handfull of dirt to the continent of africa

Yeah but you gotta go to the store to get paper plates when the dishwasher is right in your house and it gives you clean plates fpr free

As in the population of Africa?
Value is equivelant

100 billion rolls of TP, if we assume that 8 rolls is 1 cubic foot (4 rolls on top of 4 rolls) then 100 billion rolls would be a cube a bit smaller than 5000 feet per side. The big falls in niagara is 170 feet high and 2500 feet wide (but it's curved), so I think it would look like pic related. It would certainly have some effect for a while.

No, and Mt Everest weighs a shitload more than 100 billion paper towel rolls

I think you guys are missing a more important factor - what kind of area would the rolls occupy? I mean wouldn't 100billion rolls form a considerable mountain range of some description?

As in the weight of the actual continent itself. mt everest is around 3.4 billion metric tonnes vs. The planet 6,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000 kg

Both of these seem legit. Now I am confused.

Is there a difference between collecting 100 bil paper towel rolls and something thqt is actually a part of the earth or is everest like a paper towel on top of each other with a trench coat that looks like a mountain