Hey there Sup Forumsros

Hey there Sup Forumsros,

How did you quit smoking? I've been at it almost 7 years and I'm tired of it. What method worked for you?

>pic unrelated

I smoked for ten years, pack and a half a day.

In the end, all it took was a book. Quit Smoking the Easy Way by Alan Carr

I'll spare you the read (he's a terrible writer) and distill it down to the essence. I'll post this first to make sure your thread doesn't die while I compose the response.

>waiting

Enjoy panties in the mean time

bumping it for you, not OP, just a random guy lurking

bump

Mr. Carr talks about nicotine and the various reasons that people use it.

People talk about smoking relieving stress the most, so that's what I'll touch on.

Nicotine is a stimulant, that means that when you inhale smoke your blood pressure goes up and your stress levels INCREASE.

What's interesting is that 7 minutes after you stop smoking, your body starts craving nicotine, first only a little, then as time goes on it becomes more and more intense. This process stresses you out.

The reason that we feel that cigarettes relax us is that after going minutes or hours without a cigarette because we were watching a movie, eating, or living life, we smoke a cigarette to relieve our craving, and our craving is stressful.

That creates the impression that smoking relieves stress. You smoke and your stress level goes down.

Here's the kicker, the thing that made it easy for me to quit. Smokers smoke so that they can feel for 7 minutes what the rest of us get to feel like ALL THE TIME.

The author talks about there being 60+ year old men with unopened packs of smokes in their pocket and they don't smoke because they don't want to die but they STILL want a cigarette.

The reason is simple. They're giving up something they believe they WANT.

Once you realize that smoking doesn't really do anything for you except warp your perceptions about smoking, it becomes easy to quit. YOU AREN'T GIVING UP ANYTHING.

If you want to read the book even after my synopsis and feel brave enough to post your email on Sup Forums, go right ahead. I'll send it via PDF.

Good luck! The cravings when you go cold turkey only last 3 days and the smoking dreams go away after about 4-6 months completely.

Scored a free vape unit 4 weeks ago. Just dropped from 10mg nicotine to 6. Other than the stigma of using a mouth fedora, it's been pretty painless. A fuck-ton cheaper, too, when smokes are almost $11/pack here. Eventually, I'll get to no nicotine in the juice and see what happens then.

Also, thanks for the panties!

i have quit cigs multiple times. recently started a month ago but anyway, switching to smokeless tobacco and then to nicotine gum worked in the past.

Exactly this. This is why you keep going back to nicotine. You believe it makes you happy and have convinced yourself you enjoy it, you just don't want the negative health implications.

What the book teaches you is that nicotine doesn't actually DO anything for you. It's all a placebo or replacement effect. You are being manipulated!

I have been smoke free for 7 years. Trust me, it's awesome.

NICOTINE SALTS. NUFF SAID.

i switched to a vape pen, and slowly lowered the mg of nicotine i was adding in, until i quit.

>in b4 vape fag

Vape fag.
*reads rest of post*
Oh. Nvm.

i havnt smoked real tobacco since i discovered em.

for anyone who doesnt know, theres two types of nicotine in e juice, one is 'freebase nicotine' which is whats in like 99 percent of all e juice, and then theres 'nicotine salt' which is chemically much closer to the form nicotine is in when burned (as opposed to vaped) so it goes a LONG way to making a vape experience feel like a cigarette. One reason being that its easier for your body to take in more of it than regular freebase nicotine so the same amount of throat burn equals significantly more satisfaction. Its the same kind of nicotine thats in a JUUL but I get it and drip it on my RDA's.

Damn man that actually makes a lot of fucking sense. I just googled the book and managed to get a pdf of it. If any lurkers want, google "easy way to quit smoking Allen Carr pdf" and it's one of the first links.

I'm going to give this a shot, thanks user!

1.) quit drinking alcohol and doing illicit drugs
2.) chew tobacco instead of smoking
3.) ???????
4.) hate life

worked for me

no cigarettes make you more stressed so you doesn't feel that first stress that you wanted to get rid off. It's like when your leg hurt so you hit your face. Taaaa ddaaammm you feel only your face now, no more pain in the leg.

To just fucking quit.
I went from 2 packs a day to zero.
Haven't smoked in 3 years.
Get some willpower faggot.

Glad to help.

Just stop, that's the quickest and easiest way to do it. Basically if you really want to to stop you can just stop, if you don't really want to you won't quit.

I smoked at least a pack a day, up to 3 packs a day depending upon stress/outdoor social activity for 13 years. I read Alan Carr's book somewhere around year 5 or 6 and it did not help me. Most likely because at that point I did not truly want to quit, but it also had no information that I had not been aware of before I read the book.

In the end, I switched over from cigarettes to vaping. I have now not had a cigarette for just over 3 years. I spend less on the vaping habit and it seems to be much healthier. I talked to a 40 something lady the other day who smoked for 20 years and vaped the last couple who had a CT. Apparently the doctor said her lungs were clean as if she did not smoke. Anecdotal, I know, but the fact is cigarettes WILL give you lung cancer, and vaping MAY kill you. I'll take my risks on the may over the will.

If you CAN quit without vaping, I applaud you, but for those of us who couldn't, vaping is a good alternative. But you still have to commit to not having a cigarette. It was easier than I thought it was going to be though.

point is breaks are pointless without cigarettes..

like.. the fuck am i gonna do? go eat soup with the rest of those faggots? no way..

I started it by accident. I had one of those extinguishing cubes, ya know, the ones to put your smoke out whenever ya want. Well I took like 1 puff when I wanted then extinguished, lit again when I yearned for another puff. I was writing and watching stuff on my computer so I didn't think of it much until I realized how little I was smoking After that pack lasted a month I just put the charred butts and stubbs (no ashes) in a bag and huffed a lung full when I was having a BAD craving. I was done before the bag was exhausted - I did shake it a few times to be fair. The bag was gross, I admit, but it worked.

I started running to give myself a diffrent addiction