One-track feedback thread

That's it. Let's make this work out. Not many people are giving feedback in the other threads.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/43h0pxko
clyp.it/10an5b4u
clyp.it/vtn2xeta
clyp.it/wt0ykz31
clyp.it/oeqpy5w2
clyp.it/cjq0cyoy
clyp.it/yhcepbnz
m.soundcloud.com/nancy_babich/outsider
soundcloud.com/user-167298638/livoniataylor-city-forever
clyp.it/3cjppwrf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

clyp.it/43h0pxko gimme feed

clyp.it/10an5b4u

Very interesting track, lots of different sounds, it's a really cool collage. I really like the chaotic feel it gives. The drums sound fucking great, like toe's drums in "the book about my idle plot on a vague anxiety". I feel like you can join the two parts of the track in one, and leave in some spaces in which the noise comes in suddenly and takes over, and then the first part comes back. Kind of like a yuxtaposition.

I mainly want to know if the chord progression is good and noticeable enough. It's just a basic first draft, I know it's very repetitive.

clyp.it/vtn2xeta

It could be nice but there's simply too much distortion. i'm all for lo-fi vaporwave-ish tunes having a more warbly and distorted sound but this is exceive to the point where it sounds tryhard and clumsy.

Dial back the distortion, and use different types of audio degradations (like very subtly change the playback rate at some points or add a hi-pass filter that changes over time)

Or if you wanna stick with distortion, create more dynamic shifts, work with the rhythm, make it more percussive

I get your point, I'll make some slight changes soon, although the album I'm making has a lot more of that, because I can't get a very good distortion considering I'm only recording an unplugged electric guitar with a cellphone mic.

Your track is alright, although I'd recommend cutting off some of that white noise that decays after the drums, in order to make some space to add some more bass. I feel that your track could use a bassline that emphasizes the root of the chord progression, because, even if it's pretty clear to me, the track sounds kind of empty in the low-end.

yeah I'll try to retool the bassline, it's very crude right now

How the fuck did you get an electric guitar to sound like that?

I experiment with stuff until I get something I like, but this one was kind of hard.
I did one take, and made three tracks with that one take. The two extra tracks were pitch-shifted, one octave up, the other, one down.
These three tracks have a compressor, not very tight, 3:1, an EQ that boosts up the freqs that each clip needs, and an overdrive with the same idea. Its gain needs to be high so the sustain can be nice.
These three tracks go to three sends. The first is a simple long reverb, the second, a ping pong delay with overdrive through the low-mids, the third one, a bluesy amp in Guitar Rig with a tiny flanger.
There you've got a pretty cool sound, but it's really empty, and the magic comes in the master track.
I use a saturator, another slight touch of overdrive and a short reverb.

That's the original guitar track.
clyp.it/wt0ykz31

honestly sounds like a lot of effort for something that ends up sounding like you ran a basic vaporwave track through an overdrive filter.

i mean it's still cool but I'm sure it'd be better without the "slight touch" of overdrive that obscures a lot of it.

It's not that much of an effort to be honest, took me a little bit more than an hour. Just tried turning on/off the last overdrive, but it doesn't make that much of a difference. It boosts ups a little bit the mids in the chord in the 3.
Sucks that what I'm doing gives that feel. I guess the most you could call vaporwave is this other track that's simply a processed sample with some vocals buried down.
I wish I could make that shit sound original at all.

clyp.it/oeqpy5w2

>simply a processed sample with some vocals buried down.
well yeah cause that's basically how vaporwave works and sounds, especially due to the repetitiveness.

So I guess you're actually going for some shoegaze. This version works a lot better, less muddy.

I don't know to be honest, I just want to make something that I'm quite content with, and I really like noise and ambiences, so if I could define what I do, it'd be Ambient + Noise. I'm not a huge shoegaze fan, although I like its focus on textures, but I feel that lots of tracks end up having a similar structure and patterns that I don't enjoy much.

Thank you for the feedback you've given me though, it'll be of lots of use man.
Feel free to ask me for more.

clyp.it/cjq0cyoy

clyp.it/yhcepbnz

looking forward to getting some feedback on this stuff, haven't really showed a huge amount of people yet

pretty cool ideas going into this, but I really wish the drums had more clarity/ space in the mix and the whole thing sounds a bit muddy up until like 1:22 maybe some compression could help?

Its dope but I think I have to agree with what the other user said about less distortion, just so we can hear the music better.

I think the chord progression sounds good and the melodies are solid, but I think it would really add a lot to have a bass line, even just a duplicate track an octave below the lowest part would do the trick. also reaaaly washed out from how much reverb is on the drum part, very cool though.

I liked this a lot. Reminded me of This Heat with the instrumental creepy vibe so that's a plus for me :) The percussion was really great!

m.soundcloud.com/nancy_babich/outsider

Very tight and nice bass sound. The slightly saturated piano gives the track a very good touch, although I feel the drums could have a little boost in the hi-end so they can completely pierce the instruments along with the voice.
The sample around 2:05 is very well processed, and the guitar ending is pretty nice too.
The only tip I can give you is that, in the same way your track has a very clear ending, it could have a clearer beginning, that defines completely the start.

This sounds pretty nice, but I think that the guitar sounds way too far in the mix. It could be clearer in the mix. The jazz instrumentation is fucking great.

this guy here

this track has some really cool sounds going on and the guitar parts sound super tasteful, I like it a lot. I think it could sound really cool with drums on it, not that I think it needs it

I like the sax stuff and the layers, but the mix has a fucking ridiculous amount of reverb on it so its hard to tell whats going on. The vocals need some work as far as being in tune, and the vocal cracks in the screamier parts might be part of the sound you're going for, but I'm not sure that it works. maybe try double tracking?

thanks man! and yeah I see what you're saying about the start. what do you think I could do to improve the beginning? any suggestions?

I think a sample in the beginning would be a very cool, although cliched beginning. The other idea I have is making a beginning with the sample in 2:05. Even though your track isn't built around it, I think that it'd create an expectation in the listener for the sample, and that would resolve in the 2 min mark.

soundcloud.com/user-167298638/livoniataylor-city-forever

Yo this is off my upcoming album. I normally trip and you can probably figure out who I am.

This is super fucking original, and its blowing my shitty ass headphones apart but jazz-punk is pretty interesting as a concept and I hope to see it fleshed out more.

that makes sense, I'll try to work that part in, do you think the drums cutting though could be resolved by just turning up the hi hat? or do kick and snare need something too?

I think that it'd make more sense for the drums to have cohesion, therefore, I'd suggest tuning up everything a little bit. Otherwise, It'd sound kind of weird I guess?

Track I made for a horticulture class a few months ago, thought it turned out alright. I'm no singer so I just picked a voice. Oh well, I hope you guys like.
clyp.it/3cjppwrf

it has some potential, but I really recommend you don't just "pick a voice" be yourself and try to sing with the same emphasis and timber as you would if you were just talking normally

Thanks. I wanted to have it be louder, but it was like 10 pm and everyone in my house was asleep and I didn't want to wake them. I was prouder of the instrumentation though, it was so much fun to record.

singing louder makes a huge difference in tone in my experience, I'm sure that will improve the quality