Is Rey a Mary-Sue? Why or why not?

Is Rey a Mary-Sue? Why or why not?

Yes because being a Mary Sue is actually hell

If Rey was a man, no one would have complained

>is this badly written character in a bad film a mary sue?

no the movie just sucks, sorry its your first star wars you were old enough to catch in theaters that doesnt mean you need to make threads about it.

The only way that she could not be a Mary Sue is if they ripoff KoTOR and have her be a powerful Jedi that got her mind wiped.

Just having her skill tree at max from the start makes her a Mary Sue. Luke got his ass kicked in every confrontation in the entire trillogy, the only reason Sheev didn't roast him is because Vader switched sides.

No, because she was left behind by a group of Jedi's.

I'm able to let go that she was an expert pilot and mechanic given that she's spent most of her life on the planet, like Luke.
But being able to fend off a character who has supposedly received training kinda ruined it for me, even if she is an expert with her staff.
Maybe they'll explain it somehow in the sequel.

He did pretty good at Jabba's but I don't really think his mooks were up to the task.

Plenty of people complain about Luke being a Jedi after getting 2 hours of lessons from Obi Wan and 2 weeks of lessons from Yoda. Luke is nowhere near Rey levels of utter perfection in all schools, fields, arts, disciplines and ways of life.

\thread

Nobody cares anymore. It's a sterile remake of A New Hope. Sadly the trilogy will probably just get worse. Hope much you wanna bet that they won't go into Snoke and the Knights of Ren at all?

pretty much this. Well said user.

fuckin this.

rey is a non flawed character.

To add to this, his display of prowess at Jabba's works precisely because we've seen him get his ass kicked for two movies. It's the first time we actually see Luke get good at being a jedi, and it's rewarding because they make a you wait for it.

I just rewatched the movie and it felt like to me that the way people interacted with her and how Kylo remarks "a girl?", led me to believe that she's known by Han and Leia.
But then I also considered that Luke looks tearful at the end, not because he knows Rey, because it might be the first time he's seen a lightsaber since Kylo rekt all the other students or maybe both.

Nope, she's just over powered and abandoned by luke on a desert planet due to her being the daughter / granddaughter to one of the most powerful sith lords to exist.

Palpatine.

Pretend TFA was a star wars RPG.
Rey is the GM's girlfriend.
>center of attention
>succeeds at everything
>loved by everyone
>best ever
>free magic item
>one time she botches a roll, the GM turns it into a wacky success (tentacle monsters)

It's impossible to re watch this movie, they got away with it at the cinema because of the name and the sound and all but it just does not stand up to any scrutiny. She's a one dimensional character, no development just insta Jedi.

No, but I think the film suffers from lack of exposition about her skills. A lot of her talents are only inferred and never fully explained so people think she gets them out of nowhere when things start happening (e.g. she kicks those thugs's asses on her own, thinks the Falcon is a piece of junk since she's done flight simulation for newer models etc.)

People also seem to forget that she was autistic as hell, wanted to stay on Jakku, and even saw a father-figure out of Han in the little time they spent together (that's how mentally fucked she is). The movie is plenty flawed in its nostalgia wank, so much so that it forgets that we still needed to get to know the new characters before jumping straight into an age-old conflict being renewed.

>wins a fight against Kylo
Kylo still sustained injuries from Finn, who of all people was getting rekt by TR-8R. Kylo is hardly a standard to be held up for melee combat prowess, and his injuries while fighting two people in a short span of time didn't help matters at all.

except sjw of course

>another man as lead

Her exposed armpits in that hot hot desert gave me a boner so I think that counts for something.

>Kylo still sustained injuries from Finn
And Chewie.

I think that even if they did explain how good she was from the start it still will suck. There's nowhere near as much room for improvement as Luke had in the OT. If the character isn't developing in some way then it's usually a boring character.

of course. It would make much more sense

all will be explained

Rey is a palpatine, Kylo wanted her. Luke somehow got to her and was responsible for dumping her on jakku for being the daughter or granddaughter to one of the most powerful sith lords.
The emperor himself.

You know what, that would actually be pretty cool if something like that happens.

She's basically a Bethesda character with a 10 in every stat.

So yes.

I want to believe

>She's basically a Bethesda character with a 10 in every stat.
That would be Arya "Iron Gut" Stark. Rey is cute.

Kylo's backstory is that he killed every other one of Luke's students in melee. He is supposed to be extremely skilled.

that sound really cool actually, sadly i think the disney propaganda of "me strong independent woman" and al the merchandise of Rey for little girls as a role model makes me think ti's impossible they make her turn heel..

i think Rey is the jedi John Cena, everyone hopes the heel turn to make the character more interesting...end up been the same " hero for toddlers" she will never lose or make big mistakes and it's gonna be always a perfect bland and shallow character

>Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force
>he didn't because straight after another generic sith rises up

>Rey is pretty much a master at everything she tries her hand at
>still scavenging shit living her life meal-to-meal in a old AT-AT
Surely there must be more than one type of job on the damn planet.

Rey turning evil is the only way to save this new trilogy.

It'd be a fantastic twist that could rival "I am your father".

i don't think they're gonna do something like that.. this new star wars movies are so apologetic with all the gender role situation, i think it's not very probable they're gonna put a woman as the next evil anakin,..even when its a very good and interesting idea

Sorta.
Shes anakin reborn to relive his life and right the wrongs that he did. So in a way, shes a mary-sue, but from a different point of view, shes already max level and that kind of power should be expected out of lord vader.

Kylo gains power from his injuries,that's the reason why he was hitting his belly.DARK SIDE MOTHERFUCKER!

this

>person gifted in the force and is unskilled beats other unskilled people not as gifted as he so that makes him really skilled

??????

Sigh.

>that level of autism to sperg about "muh Luke homeboi is round as ballz" while doubling as "Rey is le maree suu"
I honestly feel bad for them

yeah, why give a good explanation about a character when you can have a fully retard response like yours user

don't be retarded, Disney won't let one of their princesses fall like this, she is designed to be a strong independent female role model for millions of girls to sell toys to

that's why she isn't an actual character, she only exist to push toys to girls who usually weren't interested in buying SW shit

>good explanation
>

Nah, he was being rash in that moment. Its a terrifying sight to whoever hes facing but that really couldnt have been good for him in the end. Maybe he thinks pain will unlock his potential but obviously it doesnt work out for him.

Only way to save her is to turn her to the dark side.

>Please tell me you actually believe this. I need to know that you genuinely believe this before I start laughing.

im already laughing of your salty ass ..you don't have an argument at all...

i think the political correctness of disney kill the best idea for the sequels

Either this or kylo ren will learn from his mistakes, or snoke will send a phantom to show rey the true power of the dark side.
Also is anakin bringing balance to the force canon here? Does that mean that both jedi and sith are more or less equal?
Also do sith powers live on, not only mind games but also lightning and other things?

>posts "muh good explanation"
>hehehe "fully retard" that'll show him
>n-no you salty (pls no bully)
>all that ellipsis
Haha what a fucking child

is so cringey see you make all this empty arguments with meme quotes... the point of rey being a Mary Sue is well made.

yeah , im a child and you are a big man with childish insults...

>no one ever complained about kirito being a mary sue guis! Nobody complains about re:monster!

This is how silly you guys sound, hes from sword art online by the way.

This has got me curious.
Can we name some male versions of the mary sue archetype?

>Scott Pilgrim

Scott pilgrim got dumped on by at least 5 of the seven evil exes. The bass battle with the chad is a well-known defeat among you anons.
I would say Jason Bourne but he was trained that way (even if he has no memory of it)

also

>luke loses a hand to vader and initially fucks up yodas training

Luke wasn't able to manipulate objects via the force until the second movie, Rey was doing it by the end of the first. Not only was she moving objects via the force, but she was able to overpower a trained force user while having no training herself.

then we all agree Rey needs to be seduced by the dark side

i would like finn becomes the new apprentice of luke after Rey becomes evil and he wants to bring Darth Sue back to the light

heres my problem with Rey, because of the way she is written every other character becomes irrelevant, in the OT luke has Leia and Han to lean on, because he needs it at times, this makes him a character able to grow and become great. Anakin has Obi-Wan to lean on and learn from, this makes him it so he is not, despite everyone telling him he's the fucking chosen one, able to win all the damn time. Rey has Han solo a veteran fighter pilot, Chewie a veteran savage and Finn a trained soldier to lean on and get supported by. But she doesn't need anyone, ever. so Finn is made pointless Han becomes funny man reference guy and chewie becomes slapstick bear. every character serves only to further hammer in the fact that Rey is the greatest ever at everything and she dont need no one. Finn the character who should become her most trusted friend and capable ally is immediately bumped down to comic relief. Rey has no growth other than watch this character go from powerful and completely independent to over the top savior of the galaxy doing everything by herself. she is literally just like a my japanese anime main character and the movie and the sequels will suffer for it unless its changed

For reasons unexplained she has expert level fighting skills, ace piloting skills, and advance force skills. She has advanced engineering skills that are likely not learned from being a scavenger, such as what would stress a hyperdrive.
Add to this that every established character, Han; Chewy; and Leia, take a quick liking to her. Han even offers her a job on the Falcon she's so awesome.
She is the type of overpowered character a fan would write into Star Wars to be a proxy for themselves. It's a symptom of the lazy writing that Force Awakens displays quite often.

This tbqh senpai

I always interpreted Rey as being extremely self sufficient. But since TFA is such a fast paced movie, nothing really gets flushed out and everytime Rey does something, it just looks as if she pulled it our of her ass

> sold into slavery
> grew up in worse conditions than anikan
> scavenger scum
> Not hard to infer that she had to learn how to defend herself from other scum on Jakku
> Probably picked up some knowledge on how to be a pilot from all those years of scavenging rebel and empire ships

I forgot where, but i read something in another stars wars thread that Rey used to sneak into the falcon at night and study the modifications the fat slaver dude put on. But again, TFA doesnt allow for any room to breathe as it goes from one scene to the next

He also had the knights of ren (and probably some early form of the first order) backing him up. Hard to imagine he killed EVERY student

Yea but she ia the daughter of sheev so it doesnt matter. Expect the next episode to be depressing and have a twist

That's false, see that little shit Anakin in EP1

Her speeder bike is so OP it can fly and shit, it's in the novelization, literally build something that is lightyears away of every vehicle in Jakku.
Leia, instead of hugging poor Chewie who lost his old friend, goes and hugs this girl he didn't even know. Such a fucking mary sue.

Maybe that's misdirection type advertising. I'd hope the joos @ Disney are smart enough to use the current political climate while making something iconic that's still making $ 30 years later instead of something that is like 4-5 movies then forgotten after the nostalgia has worn off.

>Implying TR-8R wouldn't eat everyone's lunch in melee combat

Kylo Ren didn't establish the First Order, that comes from the remains of the Empire that Snoke assembles. Snoke drafted Kylo Ren and whoever survived of the Knights of Ren after attacking Luke. We can easily see that now a "powerful force user" has appeared, Snoke will likely use Kylo Ren to lure Rey in to attempt to turn her (like Vader and Luke for the Emperor, also Anakin and unbeknownst-to-her-Padme for the Chancellor).

This time I hope the turning works as almost everything Rey did was through anger which is more a Sith trait she won't know anything really about.

>This time I hope the turning works as almost everything Rey did was through anger which is more a Sith trait she won't know anything really about.
This. It would make for an interesting twist. I mean, it's kinda hilarious how she beat Kylo out of pure anger and damn near sliced his head off.

What's the black male version of a Mary Sue?

That's what Finn is.

hummm it suppose Finn has potential to become a force user?, because i think it would be perfect that Rey ended up being the real villain, killing Ren to complete his introduction to the darkside. Then, Finn become the new apprentice of Luke and ended up being the one who needs to stop the empire (killing or saving Rey from the darkside)

like it

Finn was a comedy relief, he's not loved by anyone like Rey ,it's not perfect, hes naive but brave enough to face a sith to protect someone special to him even when he clearly is no match to Ren..

actually...Finn is much more likeable than Rey

>daughter of sheev
and wookie woman.

Gary Stu and you're onto something........

The main problem is that they clearly had personality flaws that would have made her character much better, but just kind of forgot about them.

It's clear from the first act that she was originally supposed to be stubborn and self reliant to a fault, but people tend to forget it because they didn't follow through on those flaws biting her in the ass (getting captured due to running off doesn't count; they clearly would have got her no matter where she was) while simultaneously ramping up the positives of them.

Think about it like this:
Luke never won a single light sabre duel, not even the final duel of the trilogy. The point of all the lost fights, with the last one only being won by Vader turning on Palpatine is for the reoccurring theme of family, compassion, and friendship beating pure power. (I.e Light side vs. Dark Side)
Meanwhile Rey not only learns how to use a light sabre and the force with zero training, but also wins her first duel.

First time watching the movie did anyone else expect Rey to get her hand chopped off by Ren during their fight and get super upset when she won?

This would work pretty well.

I rewatched it recently and paid attention to her face when he takes Kylo down and moved in to kill him.
The parallels with Luke's expression when he's beating the shit out of Vader was pretty startling.

Finn is just there to slip on banana peels and poop his pants while Rey rolls her eyes at how incompetent men are.

Yes she is, but quite frankly that was the least of this film problems.

Luke's duels were against highly trained Sith. Rey's first duel was against some kid with a Darth Vader fetish.

End the MaRey Sue meme.

Some kid who was taught under luke fucking skywalker and somehow managed to kill all his students, master the knights of ren, and stops a blaster shot mid air at the beginning of the movie.

This

It's not a meme, it's a valid argument

The fact that the main antagonist was some kid is a testament to how shitty this movie was.

She is because she literally had zero obstacles

this

Literally how? It's just a different choice in antagonist for this trilogy. He still posed a threat in an unpredictable Columbiney way.

i agree Rey is an insufferable mary sue, shes one of the least interesting main characters in movies that i ever see... i hope she die in the second movie

>kylo not being a satisfactory antagonist because edgelord, manchild, wannabe vader, beaten by rey etc
>snoke, hux, phasma barely being there and / or forgettable
>lack of credible, villainy villain
le darth rey

BLACKED when?

Dude if you want generic edgy sith lord #9265712036541 go watch read or play anything else with "Star wars" on the title

never nigger

Fuck this looks like saoirse
Guys, what could have been......

Every James Bond there was

Also Aragorn

KEK at people who think Disney will compromise MaRey Sue's marketability by turning ''muh role model for little grillz'' into a Sith.

Muh sith role model for girls

Luke is not a Mary Sue. He's just a fucking redneck and a peasant. I always doubted that there would a more hateable main character in SW. Then young Anakin came. Then Rey came. And I wonder what retarded fuck they will make the MC in the next trilogy

But user, women are literally sith already.