Why aren't you using GNU+linux Sup Forums?

Why aren't you using GNU+linux Sup Forums?
It's 2017 and time to embrace the year of the linux

inb4:muh games

this is the most horseshit excuse ever. there are a lot of games for it now, plus ways to run winblowsgame

because i'm not a virgin

yah dude having half ur screen full of edgy teenager shit is just gay

I use my pc for simple tasks like looking at titties and playing games. I have no interest in using shell commands to unzip files and give everything under the fucking sun permissions. If linux works for you, that fine use it. But its not for everyone.....and thats okay. We can coexisit in the same space.

i do actually

what do you mean give everything permissions. thats not how any of this works.... you ever hear of sudo????? you run shit under that, that way you dont have to give everything permissions.

>implying you need to use shell commands to unzip things
>implying you need to change files' permissions

eww you need to work on that rice. you browser rice especialy thats ugly af how your tabs are

show me how to make the browser minimalistic and ill do it.
i dont care that hard how it looks i just like it simple and im okay with that UI

Of all the distros you could have chose you went with the most neckbeard?

and neither am i.. running a specific OS doesnt have anything to do with your sex life, if you cant get laid, its because of you. not your OS.

actually i have girls show interest based on my OS and its looks

do you want my FF css??

ive been using the same install since 2014, i have no reason to change it, as it works for me. plus the thing about arch is, if its on there its because i put it on there. not a bunch of third party BS thats in there on install, violating my freedoms

hello you there????

read----->

Well, this is true, except for KDE.

I wanted to try Plasma 5 once, now it's a giant inter-connected cancer on my arch system and I'm too lazy to remove it all.

what do you mean by

>except KDE

I am, and I have been since 2003.

>if its on there its because i put it on there. not a bunch of third party BS thats in there on install, violating my freedoms
>Well, this is true, except for KDE.

Because i don't have enough time to invest in learning all the commands, architecture, glorious sound driver mechanics, videocard issues, incompabilities with widely used file formats and softwares for users.

are you trying to say taht KDE is automatically on arch?
because that is not true at all. I don't have it and never did, i put open box on it and gtk2 and gtk3.

you should know arch drops you into a shell for install. KDE is not automatically put on it, its there only if you put it on there

Nigger no, I'm not saying that.

I was telling you that I installed it once on my arch system to try it out, and am officially too lazy to get rid of it, even though it's a big fucking mess.

>still using a pc

you guys are making this harder than what it is.
for one you dont have to learn commands if you dont wnat to. you can go full gui if you want. and slowly learn the commands...
i dont know what mean by architecture. and um the driver issues and linux are a thing of the past. hell intel even writes GPL drivers for their hardware now. and what incompatabilities for file formats......also you can run windows "softwares" on linux. mono/wine

that literally doesnt make any sesne to what i was saying, i basically said if its on there its cause you put it on there

you come back with except KDE... anyone would have taken that to mean that your saying KDE is already on there. you should have worded that WAY different from how you did it also you could legit -Rsc kde aso... it takes 0 effort to removeshit

>>Sup Forums

seeing as most of Sup Forums uses linux, and that i specifically ask Sup Forums why they aren't in the OP. this would not fit in Sup Forums....so

>Why aren't you using GNU+linux Sup Forums?

There are no apps. It's useless.

tf are you talking about.... there are apps. and it is very useful.....

The amount of games available on Linux is stil limited, and using wine doesn't always work well or comes at a degraded performance.

So I use it only at work as it is fun to code with.

try mono. event hought both wine and it support .net now. also .net is open source

what reason is there to use it apart from im poor

Because I suck at using and I don't have the patience to figure it out. At the same time, I want to know how to use it and use it as my daily driver, but muh hardware and internet connection suck.

also you guys sit here and talk about hsow uselss it is. and talk up your precious M$. yet they made .net foss, they joined the linux foundation shit teamed up with canonical to bring an ubuntu bash shell on windows to communicate withthe windows FS and there are directions for adding other distros besides ewwbuntu, leaving you with the ability to run linux vommands on your win machine. that allow you to communicate with your windows files

linux has won, M$ caved. get over it

noice dubs

would you like me to leave you a way to contact me? and i could help you with learning the basics.

>used on the majority of servers in the world
>useless
pick one

I don't like your supposed "freedom", microsoft knows what's best for my computer, they didn't become absolute marketleader by being shit at it. Have fun with your amateurOS, and playing indie unity ports at 30fps, I'll keep using something built by professionals.

>microsoft knows what's best for my computer
Well, if you really think that sending your data to the NSA is what's best...

there is no money in gnu so no support have fun relying on a open source version that has shity documentation smaller comunity smaller demand and has good ods to randomly vanish wich is 99% behind windows solutions

>there r a lot of games for it now
no
>we all need that endless stream of useless informations taking up space on the screen to pretend to look like 1337 hax0rz
how bout u install windows and stop being a pretentious cunt

>there is no money in gnu
>good ods to randomly vanish
The GNU project is older than Windows and is still around

Runs quicker, configurability, no spyware, doesn't get targeted by malware, easier to maintain, better filesystem, there are plenty of reasons actually, most children however will simply reply muh games.

i dont mean gnu in general i mean the people who write the indivual software for it who find, a real job, realise there software cant compete, or the go to another open source project

Why don't I use Linux? Probably because I've been test driving it as a Windows replacement for 17 goddamn years now and I ALWAYS run into SOMETHING that requires me to search the net for a solution or workaround or SOME fucking reason why I can't do "X" in Linux when it's easily done in Windows. It's like the old joke:

Tech nerd - "Woo Hoo! Distro X now supports 4096 CPU cores!"

Regular guy - "That's nice but can it do streaming internet video? (Implying YouTube or Flash or whatever)"

Tech nerd - "Who the fuck uses that?"

If microsoft happens to notice illegal activity from my computer I would hope they notify NSA, or any other appropriate authority for that matter, about it. Clearly some criminal has stolen my computer, perhaps they can even find it back for me.

I'll probably switch to 8.1 once support for 7 runs out and then to Ganoo Leenux once support for 8.1 runs out.

TOP FUCKING KEK HOLY SHIT I DIDNT KNOW SOME ONE COULD BE SO DUMB!!!!

microsoft up until windows 10 has had SHIT security, while 10 is remarkably better it still has issues out the ass.

>amateurOS UM WHAT? you do realize the majority of servers around the world run linux. from basic webserver for sites. to big business servers doing really important things.

also implying that Linus isn't a professional shows the depth of your stupidity. this entire post shows the depth of your ignorance and the fact that you have never researched a god damn thing on your own. and are only regurgitating what other people have told you.

I use VMware

I will switch to linux once there is an easy way to set area for my tablet.

And, in this scenario, absolutely anyone (even you!) can continue to maintain that software once the original author decides they're done with it.

Compare that to proprietary software written by a company: If that company closes (or just abandons that software), you're now fucked. No more updates. Ever.

>literally just irc and a task manager
>MUH ENDLESS STREAM OF INFORMATION

I'm not even a Linuxfag but you're top retarded.

What is your current something? I'm so used to linux it's actually the other way around for me. I fucking hate how I can't switch audio output per application easily on windows, while this has been a thing on linux for years now. Before windows 10 I also couldn't stand the lack of workspaces.

thats not what screenshot shows, pretentious cunt

UM seein as in we are 5 years shy of being here for 30 years.and that this is a thing there is plenty of fucking support for i, also Linus is till very much involved in maintaining it, look at bill gates. completely uninvolved

That's exactly what that screenshot shows, you fucking moron. IRC in top left, task manager in top middle.

>top right
>needing task manager 24/7
keep trying, maybe nsa will finally hire u based on u putting "has linux/gnu" in resume

>muh security
This is such a retarded argument. Linux is in no way shape or form inherently more secure than Windows. The only reason there is more malware for windows is its popularity. More people potentially using your malware means more chance of making a profit. Of course you wouldn't understand profit, because you're a pot smoking hippie who lives in this childish 'everything should be free' fantasy.

>muh Linus gets paid too
So what? He just merges the code, literally anybody can contribute to the kernel, and bad ""patches"" get through all the fucking time. Microsoft has a fuckton of money riding on their codebase, and a lot more oversight than your shitty little community project.

Keep repeating whatever that mouthbreather Richard Stallman tells you though, fuckwit.

>get called out for being retarded
>give non answer

Ebin. Also I just told you I'm not even a Linuxfag. You're just retarded.

I use both. Windows: reverse engineering, kernel analysis; Linux: netsec and pentesting. It's my job.

ok, well i have IRC running and htop which displays my process and memory usage and CPU usage, and load average.. that is pretty important to me

also the 1337 hax0rz meme is so over played not everyone uses linux because they think htye are a hacker....but i happento actually be. and im not talking evil destroy the world. I do actually security research with my main thing being web application. testing, and i also use a lot of virtual machines. so htop really comes in handy for me. not every linux user is a damn retarded kid trying to look cool. some people actually use it for real things.

>gets pointed out having task manager up all the time is pointless and doesnt acknowledge top right
>pretends he won
try harder, little kid

>task manager is too much information for me i'm fucking retarded
>calls other people little kids

Top right is literally just the equivalent of the Windows system information window are you this fucking dense?

OP here, you are actually wrong, there is in fact spyware and it does get targeted by malware, just not as much.

there is a bigger incentive for hackers to write malware for mac and windows, because more end users are on it. now if more people used linux that incentive would become bigger.

think back to the early 00s when apple was first getting popular that basically advertised they didnt get viruses. and that was only because there werent many end users. now look more companies allow macs to be used by their endusers, and then home users grew a lot. so there became that incentive for malware.. and thats why 2 years ago mac had more CVE's issued that any other OS

Because:

1) the desktop environment sucks ass.
2) it doesn't support desktop software I need to use every day without a huge amount of constant dicking around with conf files.
3) The desktop software that does work is too fucking cuddly and unreliable and crashes constantly.
4) systemd

Of course, Linux is all I run on my servers at work- I'm not an animal. But for everyday desktop use, it's a distant third to Mac OS X, and Windows.

>there is in fact spyware
What I mean is, it doesn't come preinstalled, masking as a 'service'.

>does get targeted by malware
Right, as a desktop user, when was the last time anything came close to potentially affecting you? A month ago there was some malware targeting kernel 2.6 or some shit. Malware can target linux servers, I don't think it has ever affected the linux desktop. Even if it did, you'd have a fixed kernel a day later.

>think back to the early 00s when apple was first getting popular that basically advertised they didnt get viruses

This is the funniest thing to me when every single Black Hat conference shows that Apple operating systems are actually the most vulnerable of them all by far.

i never once stated taht it was more secure in fact Im in infosec dude so dont even try and school me on shit, but still regardless of the popularity thing windows is FAR LESS secure than linux is...

also i hate RMS so ( i just meme the freetard thing) and actually not just anyone can contribute to the kernel there are specific maintainers and Linus has the last say in it...

why the fuck would u need either up all the time.
Jesus, u r so retarded.
Go suck that fat fucks dick

>autistic screeching

i like you user -op

i do pentesting too, mainly web app stuff. but i do dable in OS shit from time to time

if you dont mind me asking who do you work for.

i see u like the taste of shit in your mouth

Pretty funny, except the cve lists don't support that assertion at all. Windows has far more high severity (privilege escalation, arbitrary code execution) vulnerabilities than Mac OS X. That doesn't mean macs are "without risk," but as someone who works on a virtual appliance that ships with ubuntu, I can assure you that we are constantly patching our appliance with kernel updates to close the same fucking types of arbitrary execution and escalation holes in the kernel, bash, OpenSSL, and other components.

Anybody who says any OS is "completely secure," is full of shit and wrong. They all have significant bugs, and they all can be owned.

Honestly the way Windows is trying to improve itself is by integrating the Linux kernel. It just shows that Windows knows it's behind and slacking in the actual os/software department and will soon be lacking features due to the shit programming Microsoft does.

Mainly for two reasons:
1) It's a gaming PC. "Lot of games for it now", no. SteamVR is also really limited on Linux.

2) I'm a software engineer, I already program all day long. When I get home, I don't want to enter more fucking commands or do some fucking bash, I just want to chill out and play games.

>i never once stated taht it was more secure
>windows is FAR LESS secure than linux is...
Kek, wow 'in infosec dude', great explanation you got there.Those caps sure convinced me.

>not just anyone can contribute to the kernel there are specific maintainers
Your code has to pass through some people, sure, but literally anyone can contribute to the kernel. Your fellow freetards will cite that as one of its strengths, yet you're pretending it isn't true.

You can do that without having Microsoft's thumb up your ass.

op here, i literally stated why i need it, I do web app pen testing among other types, and use a lot of virtual machines. so i do need that up, because i need to watch my memory usage. and i need to watch process along with CPU usage.

there are fucking reasons to run that shit or guess what it wouldnt be a fucking thing

>linux cant play ga-

this true, but i was talking about a specific year. 2015 iirc apple had more CVE's issued than windows did, yes over all windows hashad far more.. but for that year apple surpased them

Because I don't care. How do you feel about that?

Why use one when i can use both?
When Linux can run all my games, nativelly or using play on linux i won't use windows anymore.

I could use some russian third party program to backdoor my own computer, sure. I feel a lot safer knowing it's authorized by microsoft, and will be used according to legitimate rules and regulations.

Hahaha love it

so heres an answer: why the fuck would a casual/office user run multiple virtual machines?
We dont use linux, cuz it doesnt offer support, nor anything better in terms of basic office appliances/gaming
>why wont u use windows? U can play all the games, write documents, calculate things, browse internet, pictures, music, videos and use communicators, edit videos, pictures, make music and keep track of buisness inventory

I honestly have no idea how to use it.

Nice to see other anons are into IT security. As for your question: polish government.

Took the words outta my fingers

is that way

I use a faggot Ubuntu distro, Zorin OS...don't see myself going back to Windows.
Oh, btw, Niggers tongue my anus.

"Every black hat conference shows this."
"Not true at all."
"Well, only in 2015. But my original statement was accurate otherwise."
> facepalm.jpg

dude i said that i meme the freetard thing i actually run nonfree drivers sooo.. and ya i guess in that sense anyone can contrib to it,but that doesnt mean its going to make it. it hardly ever does. cause first that sections maintainer has to approve it. which isnt easy, then if they approve it. its sent up to linus who more than likely wont approve it

and what more do i need to explain about winblows being far lesssecure. its literally all over the internet if you would jsut search some shit, go read the monthly MS bulletins that microsoft releases.and check withthe current cve's being issued. you really need to lighten up user. your precious windows is realizing its losing, which is why microsoft is making a lot of its shit opensource now. and joined the linux foundation. and also put a fucking linux FS with a bash shell on it that allows you to talk to the windwos FS, they realize they are losing, or else they wouldnt be doin this

DUDE, this has nothing to do with your green text, you were the one that started giving me shit for running htop, which is a personal thing to why i run it, and you kept saying shit to me and the other user about why i needed it. i never said that it was for everyone or needed by everyone, you couldnt grasp why i needed it. so i expalined it to you.

>i guess in that sense anyone can contrib to it,but but but
No but, literally anyone can contribute to it. If you think every line of code is looked at, you're high.

>muh cve's
>Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE®) is a dictionary of common names (i.e., CVE Identifiers) for publicly known cyber security vulnerabilities.
>publicly known cyber security vulnerabilities
>publicly known
Yeah no shit, people look at windows more than they look at some freedumb kernel. Again, popularity mate. For someone 'in infosec dude' you sure have shit knowledge of wtf you're talking about.

what are you talking about.....?
please provide posts that youre talking about

all i said was that for one year apple had more CVEs issued than any other OS. which was true..... they still do have a lot of shit for other years. just not as much as say windows or other OS's i dont get what your getting at here.

OMFG dude are you even paying attention to all my posts clearly not, beore you even said this shit, i said that it was popularity based.
i also said that there are still vulns written for as there are CVEs issued. also yes everything has fucking 0days dude... but we cant base anythign off those for any OS or guess what they wouldnt be 0days.

you literally need to fucking read and comprehend. and look at posts taht arent jsut directed at you. because you are making no sense and looking like a fucking idiot..

oh and LOL at you googling CVE

Original post: "every black hat shows this is more insecure."
"Not true, as evidenced by cve lists."
"Well sure, but in 2015, they had more cve's than Windows."

CHOOSE ONE:
> every black hat
> 2015 they had more vulnerabilities

>writing like a teenage girl

i never said anyhting about black hat........

>Why aren't you using GNU+linux Sup Forums?
>It's 2017 and time to embrace the year of the linux
>inb4:muh games
>this is the most horseshit excuse ever. there are a lot of games for it now, plus ways to run winblowsgame
just shut the fuck up and stop embarrassing yourself already