Tell me about the regional dialects of your country

Tell me about the regional dialects of your country.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E
youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how come none of the linguists approached one dialect that matters in this CIA lemon party gestapo - the rainbow lisp dialect. It's so tenacious - it transcends any language, sounds the same in any country, any nation, etc...

Where I'm from is what is called General American English. I really don't have a dialect.

bump

There are seven major dialect groups and about 50 recorded dialects, although that is probably not accurate because there are variations from village to village.
The Littoral dialects were influenced by Italian while the rest were influenced mostly by German. In the south, there are some dialects (marked in gray) that are influenced by Chakavian and Shtokavian - White Carniolan dialects were influenced by Shtokavian because that's where Serbian refugees settled during the times of the Turkish invasion into the Balkans, were assimilated and left a mark on the dialect while the rest were in contact with Croatian Chakavian speakers.

Western Norwegian and Eastern Norwegian, traditionally, have been split by how they treat foreign words. Western Norwegian kept the foreign stress pattern, and Eastern Norwegian gave them Norwegian stress. (There's also Middle Norwegian and Northern Norwegian)
Western Norwegian tends to keep the highest quality of vowel endings on verbs in infinitive, while infinitives in other dialect regions are degenerate in some ways.
Western Norwegian has R and alveolar consonants separated, other regions merge them and replace both the R and the other consonant with a retroflex sound.

I get people asking me where I'm from because of my Savonian accent.

I forgot, the white area with brown dots is Kočevje. It was settled mostly by Germans but after WW2, the area was depopulated and re-settled with people from all over so they speak a sort of mixed speech.

Standard/literary Slovene was based on Lower Carniolan with a lot of Upper Carniolan influences (because Carniola was the main area where there was a push to create a literary language) but Upper Carniolan became the main influencing dialect later. Modern standard Slovene is a compromise that makes it easier for the speakers from elsewhere, too.

Pac SW here

we dont have one

Northern, midwestern and rural southeastern are either good or acceptable
The rest is either bad or absolutely untolerable.

Everyone loves their accent and hates the ones geographically closer to it

t. caipira

I'm actually a 14 with 2 and 12 parents, but nice try Klebeyrsson Silva

We have three main dialects, norweigan, danish and swedish, which each have their own separate sub dialects.

some dialects are harder to understand than swedish
its a mess

>Where I'm from is what is called General American English. I really don't have a dialect.
General american english IS a dialect, and it's the ugliest one.

That sounds wrong
Typically Scandinavian languages have been divided into the categories East Nordic (Swedish and Danish) and West Nordic (Norwegian), or maybe more commonly, South Scandinavian (Danish) and North Scandinavian (Norwegian and Swedish). So if you apply both, you get three categories:
East Nordic, South Scandinavian - Danish
East Nordic, North Scandinavian - Swedish
West Nordic, North Scandinavian - Norwegian
I don't believe the last possibity is possible. Depends on the definition of South Scandinavian

Best American English dialects coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E
youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

For a small country we have an incredible amount of regional dialects and different accents

For example I live in Birmingham and have a brummie accent but if you go to Dudley which is only 10-15 miles away, they have a black country accent and sound almost foreign to me

To make it simple :
Half north : Langues d'oïl
Half south : Langues d'oc
And some other unrelated stuff like Breton, Basque, Alsacien, Lorrain...

Why does the UK contain a greater diversity of English accents than its former colonies?

We've lived here longer

And the dialects also have dialects but they are just slightly different, like here for provençal

Oh boy

All hail to Massachusetts

Carniolan Slovene is the only Slovene. All those other dudes are just Croats whom we superior Carniolans subjected.

To pa ne bo prav. Če kaj, je prišlo do hrvatizacije dela Panonskih Slovencev (t.i. "Kajkavcev").