Classic Sci fi Watch

I am going to do a binge watch of some classic sci fi; so I am trying to figure where to start.

My short list is

1. Star Trek; Deep Space 9
2. Battlestar Galactica reboot
3. Babylon 5

I of course will make use of guides and watchlists to only watch the good/nonfiller episodes so which should I go for?

Have you watched TNG? It'd give some nice variety to your list, considering the heavy similarities between DS9 and Babylon 5.

I've been watching a fair bit of TNG and DS9 lately, and there's one big difference I notice: DS9 has a bigger focus on social issues, and treats them far more sentitively than TNG. This probably owes to TNG being episodic, whereas DS9 had arcs. But even the late TNG Bajoran episodes are kind of cringey. You get these sad refugees who are obviously the better party, who are merely accused of terrorism, while not actually being terrorists. Eventually the Maquis are placed opposite of the Feds, but it's still very neutral. And then there's the episodes with the PTSD supersoldier, and the one where Crucher is kidnapped by terrorists (there episodes are back to back, too). They all feel like the weakest part of TNG, mostly because of the need to wrap it all up at the end. TNG excells at theoretical, even metaphysical episodes.

But in DS9, the social sauce is very heavy. We have regular non-Federation characters acting according to other ideals, we have Bajorans who are actually characters with reasons to like and dislike them beyond "they're the good guys". And despite people saying Trek never had a trans character, we have a girl who used to be a dude on the main cast. Always funny how science fiction works like that. Just say it's because of an alien slug, and everyone misses the hot button issue.

I find myself watching DS9, and a lot of its episodes are relevant to issues today. The same is true for TNG, but for TNG it's because it's stuff like "what is the nature of man?" But in DS9 it's "how do you deal with religious extremists?" In essence, I feel like Picard's speech (quoting another character) in The Drumhead is nice, but he gets to be done with that at the end of the episode and go back to his hobby's and his job. When Sisko makes a call like that, he has to weigh it against all the other very real issues surrounding him, and often he has to make a less than ideal call because of that.

Cont:

I also feel like DS9 has far less dead weight in the character department. In fact, DS9 expands into its minor characters to give them some character, too.

TNG, on the other hand, totally misplays its hand by forgetting to write anything really interesting for their empath character. They have Wesley on there as the ideal image of what every child should be like according to someone well past 60: At once too mature and too childish to be believable. Nobody in the world aspires to be Wesley, because it means setting aside everything you want as a teen in order to please the ideals of your elders. Wesley was a real uncanny valley character, and most viewers who hate him tend to cite how surreal he feels.

TNG was carried by some really strong characters: Picard, Riker, Data. Then came the second tier, with Geordi, Worf, Crusher. It might be up to debate and personal preference, but it's undeniable that Picard and Data end up disproportionally carrying TNG, especially in the movies. I never got the same impression with DS9. The pie is divided relatively equally.

>The shitty reboot
>Classic

Switch that up with the original and throw Quantum Leap and Blakes 7 in the mix.

The twilight zone is now your go to sci go show

of your list
babylon
then
ds9
and then if you really want to that shitty reboot
id also check out farscape

Fuck Guinen
Piece of shit character that actively makes the show worse when she's on screen

babylon 5 is 1000 times better than ds9.
ds9 is just a copy with too many filler episodes that are the typical star trek morality teaching shit.

all i'm hearing is that the best star trek is a rip off of babylon 5

Hey, that's an interesting analysis of DS9 and TNG. Thanks for posting your thoughts on it.

Friendly reminder that Dukat did nothing wrong.

He turned into space satan which was a pretty bad move.

>not liking both equally
Why are militant fans so insecure?

>He turned into space satan

He never turned into Satan, he was always Satan, even Sisqo never believed he could ever change for the good and regretted saving his ass all the time before he went full space tyrant.

you now realize picard never left the nexus and the other star trek movies are him creating perfect adventures for himself

>Nemesis
>all his friends die or leave him
>perfect
"No."

>Needs guidance to watch television, which is already made for retards.

Now how retarded is that?

They were holding him back

Not a thing on your list qualifies as "classic sci fi", you tard.

Unnecessary rudeness. You are confined to your quarters until further notice.

>I've been watching a fair bit of TNG and DS9 lately

Enjoy your social brainwashing.

t. Sup Forums poster

You seem to think telling the truth is "rudeness".

Seek professional help.

I'd throw in Doctor Who, Dark Matter and Clone Wars.

Oh, the irony.

Captain. I... I... sorry sir I do not feel well. Requesting to be relieved of duty.

Unlike you, I don't pretend to be a non-participant in social brainwashing.

So yes, it is ironic that you try to warn someone about social brainwashing while posting on Sup Forums.

>Not binge watching SGU. The best series of them all

Yes, it is ironic that you try to deride someone for posting on Sup Forums while posting on Sup Forums.

Are you really that stupid?

I've been rewatching B5 since our good dear friend Mr. Garibaldi died, it's the best.

Nearly done with season 4, before I get to it I find myself struggling to remember what season 5 was about, I remember it not being as good but it can't have been so bad that I've erased all memory of it surely.