Space stuff

Space stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Orion_Nebula_-_Hubble_2006_mosaic_18000.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=jItnCGRsMjw
youtube.com/watch?v=NFTaiWInZ44
amsmeteors.org/
telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11550868/Giant-mysterious-empty-hole-found-in-universe.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnard_68
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Void_(astronomy)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can some faggot that believe there's no life on any other planet, come with some arguments?

>my favorite space wallpaper

nice...

muh fuckin Messier 42

Squint. It's a vag

The original is fuckin huge

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Orion_Nebula_-_Hubble_2006_mosaic_18000.jpg

32mb

>

>chrome ran out of memory while loading this page
lol

did you know that for every galaxy traps are still gay

Slightly bigger

There are planets where traps are the norm.

false. Traps are still gay.

Not false. I'd even wager some of these trap-societies are space-faring.

Hard to find quality space pics under 2 mb

youtube.com/watch?v=jItnCGRsMjw

nasa apod?

Also: Sleepless Astrophysics and Cosmology Master Student here. Might be able to answer some questions if you have any, although I don't know shit about astronomy

What's your money on?

Betelgeuse or eta Carinae? Who goes first?

Anybody have that webm of the black hole sizes comparisons? It was posted on a creepy thread awhile back but I didn't save it.

Posting this because it's the closest I have to space content

> Space stuff

you got it

There are actually 4 or 5 nearby stars in that photo- albeit 'nearby' is within100 thousand light years...

But you missed the most important part, which is that the photo represents a patch of sky smaller than a pin head held at arm's length.

Gotta go with Betelgeuse. God forbid Ford Prefect gets it easy once in a while.

speaking of which

How much damage would a meteor the size of the chrysler building do?

life on other planets? of course there is
animals, trees and an ecosystem? nope, not for millions of years

Depends heavily on impact velocity, shape and what it's made of. The shape and consistency will determine how much of the meteor "burns away" and is slowed down in the atmosphere.
But assuming a sphere should give a rough estimate. Wouldn't know what material to assume, and would need to look up some constants/measurements of typical atmosphere heights/compositions/pressures, material constants and typical meteor velocities to make an estimate.

most boring way to say i dont know ever
assume it has made it to earth and it is chrysler building sized made of typical meteorite stuff

Okay, uh..Iron core and a few thousand km/h?

Is that usual re entry speed? I don't know shit about shit

I feel so small and insignificant

Ok, let's not overthink this and consider a hevily simplified case.
Neglecting the atmosphere,shape and material, the energy absorbed by the earth upon impact can be calculated with classical energy conservation, meaning that
E = 1/2 * M * v_0^2 - G M m_{earth} (1/r_0 1/r_earth )
where M = Meteorite Mass
G = Gravitational Constant
r_0 = some position of the meteorite before impact
v_0 = radial velocity of the meteor at r_0
r_earth = radius of the earth
m_earth = mass of the earth

shit, forgot a minus between the 1/r:
E = 1/2 * M * v_0^2 - G M m_{earth} (1/r_0 -1/r_earth )

oh ok, by my calculations it would absolutely wreck the planet, good stuff you made this really fun

More of this man please

gimme a sec to type it out, might really turn out fun

youtube.com/watch?v=NFTaiWInZ44

space is the biggest thing in the world

We are so godamn insignificant.
Yet, muslims and christians still believe we have some special purpose im Gods "plan."

You know NASA artificially (and artistically) colors these photos so they look dazzling, right?

NASA is basically DARPA's PR wing.

Fuck NASA and fuck you neck beard. Your ideology is based on lies because you have no intellectual self-defense.

So a quick research on Wikipedia tells me that we can estimate the mass of the chrysler building to be ~3 x 10^7 kg.
amsmeteors.org/ says mean meteor entry velocity should be ~4 x 10^4 m/s.
So assuming the meteor enters the atmosphere (which is 100 km above the earth surface) with that velocity, v_0 = 4 x 10^4 m/s with r_0 = 100km + r_{earth} = 6.5 x 10^6m, we get

E = 2.4 x 10^16 J [Joule]

Now wikipedia says a Tsar bomb releases 210,000 TerraJoule of energy, meaning 2.1 x 10^17 J,

So the impact would be roughly 8.5% of a Tsar bomb. Admittedly, this doesn't look thaaaaaaaaaaaat impressive.

But it gets better if you compare it with "Fat Boy", which released around 90 TJ energy.
Then we have an impact of ~267 Fat Boys.
See kids? Physics is fun.

Better tighten your tin foil hat there.

lol

Yeah fun. You sound like a great guy to sit and have a beer with

i cant handle these threats because everytime i´m loosing myself in this, getting kinda depressed that there is so much around us, and i am stucked here.

don't worry, we'll all die soon enough.

Beer is always tastier when you ponder mass destruction.

I posted this in earlier thread, 300+light year void in space.

True but its the constant equations that really add to the excitement

posting obligatory pale blue dot.

thats not the point i mean, man, we´re not even able to see nearly everything that is here on earth, and in the water.
We only can look up, see things that are billions and billions kilometers away, imagine how it would be to fly next to pluto, or saturn.

That's a dust cloud.

pondering mass destruction is always tastier when you have a grasp of the mass to be destroyed.

What kind of life is there in the darkest regions of the universe?

telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11550868/Giant-mysterious-empty-hole-found-in-universe.html

That should be 300+ million light years

Fuck no we don't. Don't come here with that pussy-ass attitude. "We can only dream" my ass. We're gonna go up there and fuck shit up. The question is not if, it's when.

Still a dust cloud. Dumb journalists picking an unrelated picture.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnard_68

Get me some more of that shit this isn't enough to masturbate to.

nah, its not "dreaming" (i hate this too when ppl say dreaming about space and shit), im trying to say its more like 99% of the ppl will never see the earth from the outstide, including us.

So= 90% of humans that ever lived thought the earth was flat. And the sun was a god. And the stars are just small glowing dots.
Count your blessings, son

>upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Orion_Nebula_-_Hubble_2006_mosaic_18000.jpg
this thing loaded like i was on dialup.

that's far back in history and i think it wasn't bad that they did think like this about it, they didn't know it better.
But now, because all of the science we know more things and we have (i have) more options to be sad about what i am going to miss.

It's called the bootes void

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Void_(astronomy)

When you think about the vast distances in space and the relatively simple space vessels we have, yeah I'd say it is dreaming.

for me its more like the imagination. Yes, our mind cant understand this size and length, maybe its a mix between the thoughts and the dreams about the space. trying to find the answer for the questions we have.

That's very beautiful.

Doesn't change the fact that the posted image shows Brnard 68.

You can even see some stars poking through.

Sheesh

Which lies exactly? That space exists and the earth is round?

yeah, i think OPs pic is a piece out of this hubble picture, the original size is over 15mb

That's hubbles deep field view isn't it? A patch of sky the size of a dime held at arms length, so many galaxies.

wasted trips. they are colored by element e.g. oxygen, nitrogen

yep, it is. the attempt to understand how many planets, stars are in this picture, gg.

It's not 100% completely void, it's just extremely sparsely peppered with around 60 or so galaxies.

Did you even visit the wiki page. The picture's right there.

When I google it, it keeps showing me that pic.

It's space journalism done by hacks.
Said nebula is 500 light years from us.