Why do people criticize Kanye so much for this album when compared to Death Grips...

Why do people criticize Kanye so much for this album when compared to Death Grips, if DG were NOT the first Experimental/Industrial hip-hop artists either?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sFmZ6WDkuj0
youtube.com/watch?v=62NMHPGElWo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>DG were NOT the first Experimental/Industrial hip-hop artists
for your regular Sup Forums normie they were

I like it.
What I don't like are some lyrics tho

anyone who thinks what death grips did wasn't done yet is an actual tard

because Kanye gets portrayed constantly as some kind of visionary by the media as well as Kanye himself

>because Kanye gets portrayed constantly as some kind of visionary by the media
same with death grips

It's kinda tame in terms of both the energy in and the sounds Kanye messes around with. I shit on DG a lot on this board, but I'll admit that they bring a large variety of sounds per album and are always on top of their game in terms of sheer visceral intensity. Doesn't help that like every Kanye release, it's hampered by the two things they all are

1. Kanye's mediocre at best rapping ability
2. Excessive brickwalling in terms of mixing/mastering that greatly removes the range of sounds and weakens his grand arrangements

kanye west is the michael bay of music

It's not about who did it first, it's about who did it better.

Disposable Heroes was one of the first Industrial Rap albums and I thought that was god awful.

Who did the industral rap schtick better is up to you.

>they bring a large variety of sounds per album
Not larger than even Yeezus.
>always on top of their game in terms of sheer visceral intensity
Irrelevant to both Kanye West and Death Grips.
>Kanye's mediocre at best rapping ability
Ride's also weak of a rapper, at least for Zach Hill.
youtube.com/watch?v=sFmZ6WDkuj0 - this is basically Ride rapping over this youtube.com/watch?v=62NMHPGElWo
He can't rap over this stuff, so Zach has to make it easier for him.
That's why the production of Death Grips albums sounds so shit in compare to his pre-Death Grips stuff.
>Excessive brickwalling in terms of mixing/mastering that greatly removes the range of sounds and weakens his grand arrangements
Same with Death Grips.

Death Grips = God Tier
Kanye West = Meh Tier, maybe Good Tier at times

>Not larger than even Yeezus.
Much larger than Yeezus what are you talking about? Only maybe TPTB has less sounds because NOTM uses Bjork samples exclusively and JD uses guitars/organs exclusively.
>Irrelevant to both Kanye West and Death Grips.
It's hip hop. If it's not energetic or visceral to any extent at all, it's kinda useless unless it brings highly cerebral depth (which neither artists do since they aren't something like Nas or Em or Kendrick.)
>Ride's also weak of a rapper, at least for Zach Hill.
His delivery style works very well with the music, and in some of the tracks he's also open to his vocals being manipulated in various ways, surpassing his limitations as a rapper.
>Same with Death Grips.
No they don't wtf are you smoking? Only really mainstream radio pop style guys do that dumb ass brickwalling mix/master. Death Grips didn't have Rick Rubin on their records who's notorious for making records sound like shit with his brickwalling, yet there he was again for Kanye on Yeezus.

Kanye off the cuff raw delivery works for Yeezus too. Spiting some lyrical miracle stuff for that type of music doesn't work

I like Yeezus more than most of Death Grips' stuff, but just to play devil's advocate, Ride's lyrics are more cryptic and his delivery's more passionate. You can tell Kanye either freestyled or just wrote down anything for the hell of it. Also because there's a stupid amount of producers on Yeezus, which leads people to believe most of the sound wasn't his idea anyway.

In terms of categorization, yeah no doubt. But all of the bands claimed to precede DG in style don't really *sound* like them, and I've listened to most of them. It's either, this one isn't punk enough, or this one isn't noise enough, this one isn't industrial enough etc. etc. Hence, DG isn't necessarily doing anything new, but they are doing something that's best described as "different". And I personally don't see how it's possible to get triggered by -that- sentiment.

>highly cerebral
That's extremely subjective, as are most of your arguments. I'm not saying this in defense of DG, but listing Nas, Em, and Kendrick (two of which I disagree with) as examples is a testament to said subjectivity.

>Much larger than Yeezus
Not true. Have you even listened to Yeezus? There are more sounds and overall this album brings more genres than your regular Death Grips album.
>His delivery style works very well with the music
It could be much better, if Zach Hill worked with a better rapper. Ride is not a good rapper.
>No they don't
Wrong.
>Only really mainstream radio pop style guys do that dumb ass brickwalling mix/master.
Maybe. Death Grips is basically mainstream now.
>Death Grips didn't have Rick Rubin on their records
Yet their albums are also overcompressed trash.

Kanye's nowhere near as unhinged as MC Ride or even someone like Waka Flocka Flame who are both limited in rapping, but also great at having loud powerful vocal delivery that Kanye can't do.
All three of those rappers are known to be very technical with complex rhyme patterns and versatile delivery ability (ex. Kendrick on DNA/Humble vs Kendrick in other tracks on DAMN vs Kendrick on a track like u, etc.) This one isn't a subjective argument, it's an analysis done repeatedly with such results. Hell the very popular one that I think's posted on genius has like Kanye as an example of simple patterns and then Em for something more complex.

>Not true. Have you even listened to Yeezus? There are more sounds and overall this album brings more genres than your regular Death Grips album.
The more genres thing is a dumb argument because yeah you hear everything from old rnb to indian music samples, but the music is still obviously pop hip hop. Yeezus is also probably the one record Kanye has that doesn't have more sounds than a non TPTB DG record due to how sparse it is. I think over all though it's most notable in the percussion arrangement where Yeezus for most tracks uses the same sounds whereas Zach Hill changes his sounds much more often. Death Grips also use a far larger variety of patches that aren't just the vocal and orchestral ones that you mainly see on Yeezus.
>It could be much better, if Zach Hill worked with a better rapper. Ride is not a good rapper.
I won't disagree with this. But Ride's a much better fit with his more savage delivery for music in the styles of these records.
>DG are overcompressed as well
How? You'll often hear one sound be able to cover a far larger range of frequency on their tracks compared to what Kanye does. I don't think anyone's denying that they don't use a compressor because everyone does. Just not what Rick Rubin does for Kanye.

Yeah my bad. I was skimming through the thread and misinterpreted your post.

I would argue is just as good at expressing raw emotion as Ride, he just uses it more sparingly. His delivery on Black Skinhead and the vocoder section of Runaway are virtually unmatched in the hip hop sphere that he operates in.

I won't say anything about Runaway because that's the kind of emotion being talked about. Not to mention that MBDTF even with the Kanye problem I talked about to me is still much better than anything else Kanye or DG but that's not part of this topic.

But the part where he repeats God! in Black Skinhead's actually kinda tame. It was on in the gym a few days back, and I remember it going harder, but it wasn't. Then I relistened to it at home, and it's the same thing. Still very subdued for a moment like that, again especially compared to much more hard hitters like Ride or Flocka. For what it's worth, Ride doesn't have Kanye's range, but something like that isn't as important when talking about albums where it's all about going raw and hard.

yeah but he is listen to 808s

nobobyd says they invented a genre , the fuck..they brought it back and did their own thing and were peak DG and then this came out thats why

>the music is still obviously pop hip hop
Same with Death Grips.
>whereas Zach Hill changes his sounds much more often
Of course all Death Grips albums together have more sounds than Yeezus, but Yeezus has more sounds than any Death Grips album.
>But Ride's a much better fit with his more savage delivery for music in the styles of these records.
Yeezus and Death Grips have similar styles, but not the same. Yeezus much like MBDTF is braggadocio. Ride's delievery would sound out of place on Yeezus as much as Kanye's delievery would sound ouf of place on a Death Grips album.
>How?
Every Death Grips album is just as compressed as Yeezus.

Hip-hop is almost exclusively image-oriented right now, kinda like the vast majority of pop genres but taken to the extreme. Death Grips have the image of experimental pioneers, Kanye West has the image of someone that is criticized for believing they are an experimental pioneer. Both are absurdly tame when compared to actually experimental music so the only people that can be bothered to care in the first place are those that already buy into the image-oriented culture.