Could halo rings actually exist? How would gravity work?

Could halo rings actually exist? How would gravity work?

Other urls found in this thread:

nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2005/apr/HQ_05109_Artifical_Gravity.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld
youtu.be/EHKQIC5p8MU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_strength
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If they did exist, I'd imagine they would be built close to planets, so they are caught in their orbit.

Rotation = gravity

Centripetal force, not gravity, will have an act on your body keeping you from floating away.
Sure, a halo ring could exist, but is not feasible because of the amount of material needed to create one.

So theoretically if spinning at the right speed it could have the same gravity as earth?

No. It will have the same force as the force of gravity on the surface of earth that keeps you from flying off.

You are thinking of a Dyson sphere faggot . Learn to science

So yes. 1 G of force. Which is I'm sure user meant.

>> 738398521

Yes, the centripetal force generated by the spin would be proportional to the speed of the spin, so you could theoretically match that force to the downward force exerted by earths gravity.

No, you dumb fuck. A spinning ring will produce a centripetal force, not a gravitational force that keeps you on it. It's the same concept as the one they use on Interstellar and the martian.

not the size they are in halo
but a ring variation on a dyson's sphere is theoretically possible
it wouldn't have gravity
but if were spinning around its star fast enough the centrifugal force would simulate gravity pulling away from the star

Won't work with a Dyson Sphere, pleb. That shit requires artificial gravity by other means, otherwise there'd be zero G at the poles.

Omg you are retarded... Holy fuck kill yourself.

i miss the days when halo played indian chanting music while you bashed in the skulls of monkey men, nowadays its just some generic sci fi fps bullshit.

The larger the ring, the slower the rotational speed the ring will need to match Earth's gravitational force. A huge ring will need to spin slower, a small ring will need to spin really fast. THere's a formula for it, F(force) = mv^2 / r = ma(c); where a(c) is centriptal acceleration (which would need to be the same as on earth's g, where g = 9.8m/s^2), and r = radius of curvature, and I'm sure you already know what m and v are.

Back when Ringworld by Larry Niven came out, I remeber a group of post-grad physics students wrote a paper proving that a Dyson ring would be unstable and eventually tear itself apart.

Gregorian chants?

For everyone arguing like idiots.

nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2005/apr/HQ_05109_Artifical_Gravity.html

If you do not accept NASA as a reliable source on whether the theory of centrifugal force can be used to create artificial gravity, then you probably need to take a long, hard look at yourself.

Centripetal*

cen·trif·u·gal force
nounPHYSICS
an apparent force that acts outward on a body moving around a center, arising from the body's inertia.

For the layman, this would be applied if you life on the inside of a ring.... like a halo ring.

cen·trip·e·tal force
nounPHYSICS
a force that acts on a body moving in a circular path and is directed toward the center around which the body is moving.

If you were to live on the outside of the ring. Unlike a halo ring.

Stargates > Halo Rings.
If we're going with "O" shaped objects... ONION RINGS.

While he is retarded... you are even more so. So kill each other

The problem for both of them isnt the amount of material it's the strength of the material, even if you made a ring of 1 atom thick foil the size of a halo it would be too heavy for any known or theoretical material to hold itself together.

the force of gravity has nothing to do with rotation.

>too heavy
>in space

I'm not the user you responded to but....

Materials do have a tensile strength that cannot be exceeded before the material rips itself apart. The user is correct that the weight of a material can easily cause itself to rip apart, though he may have failed to properly explain himself. A steel beam has a maximum weight capacity. That capacity is nearing the point where it can no longer bear a load. In order to create an entire world in a halo-esque ring, the amount of material needed would easily exceed the bearing load capacity of the materials used.

No. It's a video game, you fucking nerd.

inertia and centripetal acceleration then, fucktard. try this: get on a merry-go-round by yourself and then pay the carnie ten bucks to speed it up past the safety limit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld

you fucking retard.

What would you do with it?

This is a topic with many many solutions
nevermind. maybe on facebook instead.

Im just saying, the force of gravity has nothing to do with how fast a body is rotating, it is only based on the mas of the objects and distance between them.

Ah, so you've designed many space-worlds and know how the engineering all works then?

Centrifugal force is an illusion. The centripetal force acts on the ring, pushing it upwards towards you to simulate gravity, not the other way around.

Also, weight is merely a property of gravity. Tell me how much a steel I-beam weighs in space, please?

gravity is not a force you fucking plebs. The force you feel is due to the acceleration called gravity.

ITT: Everybody needs to go the fuck back to school jfc

Nope, but I do have a grasp on molecular physics, which is the science that would tell you how well materials would hold up against the stress of a massive weight.

Holy shit, it's almost as if you can figure out how to do things before you actually do them if you have a base of knowledge in the respective fields that would affect the action in question.

for all intents and purposes in this thread, gravity = *force caused by gravity*

The ring itself exerts a gravitational pull on itself due to its mass, hence all parts of the ring are pulled towards the center

density not gravity

gravity is an unmeasureable jewish theory

hence the name THEORY of relativity

>current year, still believing in the jewish (((space))) meme

Grav will work like every fukken body's gravity

There is a video on YouTube about this exact topic, infact it talks about a lot of different artificial gravity technologies and how real they could be

Sauce? Might educate some of these fools

Hello. I'm Donald Trump. Give me $10,000 or you will be investigated.

Found it
youtu.be/EHKQIC5p8MU

>arguing over semantics
Fuck off

Begins talking ring world's around 5:20

>Thank god we invented the whatever device.

only difference between writing sci-fi and fantasy is in sci-fi you need about two sentences to a paragraph explanation of your magic.

In that design it looks like they assume centrifugal force would make gravity, not sure how the science holds up tho, how fast it would have to be spinning etc.

>This CNN

he means apologize or you get doxed

>we've taken the liberty of writing that apology for you.

faggot

Here, read this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_strength

It will give you an idea of what I mean. Objects can only bear so much of a load. And if two parts of an object is space start to move in a slightly different direction, it will cause stress tears. A tiny bit of yaw across a giant ring would cause tons of tensile stress that would easily supersede the strength of the material. It would literally rip itself apart.

You are either a troll, a hack or just someone who knows nothing about reference frames. Centrifugal force is real and measurable.

We use it to separate blood and plasma, as well as many other elements every day here on earth.