en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphony_and_monophony_in_instruments?wprov=sfla1
youtube.com/watch?v=lVdSQWGm53I
clyp.it/lwyg11ua#
youtube.com/watch?v=nXpEwH4T3cw
singlecoil.com/docs/paula.pdf
clyp.it/mf3ybbqg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>How will I ever receive all the hate?
>Gets the hate he requested but doesn't appreciate or understand it.

lol

Are there any guitarists who play with fingerpicks on an electric? I just went to a bluegrass festival where all these banjo players were doing crazy shit with fingerpicks and I can't find anyone who doesn't just use them on acoustics. I remember seeing this really fat black dude who played blues with fingerpicks on all of his fingers but fat black guys who play the blues are everywhere.

Who /flamenco/ here?
>youtube.com/watch?v=GFF7fhSflIA

check out Rob Bourassa on Youtube. He has his own style of picking where he only plays with fingerpicks exclusively.

like this
youtube.com/watch?v=VwTszcBOKeg

...because electric guitar is a monophonic instrument, retard. There's one output where all the notes you pick are summed up to.

Banjo and acoustic guitars are polyphonic. When you pick a note and then pick a lower note ..the lower note wins on an electric guitar. You only need one pick for one note at a time.

That's the reason you don't see electric guitarists using finger picks. Because they'd also have to wear a pointed hat if they did.

then explain chords

>electric guitar is a monophonic instrument,

What the fuck am I reading lmao

Not him, but youre retarded

>not him
okay Crazyaga we all know its you. You can put the trip back on.

Can you play multiple notes on it? Each with it's own different timbre and envelope? Then it is Polyphonic you fucking asshat.

youtube.com/watch?v=fkCAvW6Rsvo

you are literally probably retarded

>twitter.com/bbqdbrains/status/883777229250904065

Nick Reinhart playing his version of Orange Crate Art. Pretty different from his normal music so I thought it was worth sharing.

Where my drone bros at

clyp.it/3xmwbvu0

It's an electric instrument, sorry. When the entire signal is summed up into one electrical current it's monophonic by definition.
>Each with it's own different timbre and envelope?
No. When you play one note and then another the two notes are summed up into one. There's one signal going to your amplifier, one overall envelope, no matter how many notes are played.

An electric guitar is a monophonic instrument, it's not up for debate.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how sound works, goddamn dude

Nice troll Roman, this is a new persona?

So all polysynths are actually monosynths?
Are you a retard or just trolling?

We're not ucking talking about the electric signal, we're talking about about the timbres and envelopes that you hear at the end, because by your logic, there can be no polyphonic instruments at all (wave summation, in a medium such as air), or at the very least ALL RECORDED INSTRUMENTS BECOME MONOPHONIC, sorry to break it to you Buddy, but you're fucking dumb.

No, I don't. You apparently do though.

Since you're a guitarist I'll explain it to you as simply as possible so you can understand though.

It's the same principal as a mono synth with multiple oscillators. Each oscillator is tuned to a different pitch but when you press a key they're all summed up into one signal with one overall envelope. This is exactly what's happening when you play multiple notes on an electric guitar. The individual notes are still present but summed up into one mono signal.
#1. Yes, we are talking about the electrical signal.

#2. Yes, genius. All recorded music is monophonic until its formated for stereo sound.

#3. You obviously need to educate yourself on how sound works. You may speak again afterwards.

Directly quoting Wikipedia:
"Polyphonyis a property of musical instruments that means that they can play multiple notes simultaneously. Instruments featuring polyphony are said to bepolyphonic. Instruments that are not capable of polyphony aremonophonicorparaphonic."
And
"The electric guitar, just like the classical guitar, is polyphonic, as are various guitar derivatives."

You're fucking wrong!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphony_and_monophony_in_instruments?wprov=sfla1

What about when it's recorded with a stereo mic...

No, I'm sorry.

When you play a note on an electric guitar and then play another note the second note doesn't get its own individual envelope, it modifies the envelope already present because the individual notes are summed up into one electrical current.

In order to be polyphonic each individual note would require its own individual envelope, which is what happens on a poly synth. When a key is pressed that note gets its own envelope and when the next key is pressed it gets another one.

Once again: electric guitar is a monophonic instrument, it's not up for debate.
It records to two individual mono tracks or is summed up into one mono track.

fuck off frank

You are mixing the 'synth definition of polyphony' with the 'normal definition of polyphony'.

In order for a synth to be considered fully polyphonic, each oscillator needs its own separate filters and amplifiers. Paraphonic synths can play multiple notes simultaneously, but the notes are all sent through a common filter/amplifier.

Guitars are not synths. They can sound more than one note at a time, which is the normal definition of polyphony.

That said, it was good bait.

As much as I like Rush after learning a bunch of their songs I'm starting to see they aren't as amazing

>Guitars are not synths
Electric guitars and mono synths share a mono output with all individual notes summed up into one signal, sorry.
>They can sound more than one note at a time
They can't. Just like a mono synth can't.

The signal going to the amplifier is a mono signal and none of the notes summed up in that mono signal have their own individual envelopes. What you're describing is an acoustic guitar not an electric.

>autism

OK, now that you've lost the argument I guess it's time to start calling names? That's hilarious.

Let's continue your little spanking, shall we?
>normal definition of polyphony
When multiple notes all share one overall envelope like they do on an electric guitar signal then there's one overall attack, one overall decay, one overall sustain, and one overall release. The electrical output is monophonic and that's why none of the individual notes have their own envelope (ADSR). That's the textbook definition of a monophonic instrument despite your embarrassing attempts to redefine what polyphony actually means.

A paraphonic synth can play more than one note, but it is not polyphonic by the synth definition. A paraphonic synth is also not strictly monophonic, since it can play more than one note at a time.

By the normal definition of polyphony, a paraphonic synth is capable of polyphony.

youtube.com/watch?v=lVdSQWGm53I

This clip is of a paraphonic string synthesizer.

No one calls electric guitar paraphonic, but it is why distorted harmony guitar parts sound different compared to playing multiple parts on one guitar.

Guitars are not 'synth polyphonic', but they are definitely polyphonic. They can play chords.

>They can play chords.
*yawn*

So can a three oscillator mono synth when you tune each oscillator to a certain note and press a key.

Once again: electric guitars are monophonic instruments, it's not up for debate.

>The electrical output is monophonic

Monaural is a separate concept from monophonic, even though both terms are shortened to mono.

An electric guitars monophonic output is one continuous electrical waveform on an oscilloscope. There aren't individual notes present there just like there aren't individual notes present when that same signal shows up at the input of your amp.

An electric guitar is a monophonic instrument.

Polyphonic sounds can be represented by one continuous electrical waveform on an oscilloscope.

you both are correct. The term can refer to either of those. basically as one channel or as single melodies.

kay.

No, they can't.

One individual waveform is monophonic. When you pluck multiple notes on an acoustic guitar each note is an individual waveform traveling though the air.
>one continuous electrical waveform
One as in mono, as in monophonic.
>represented
As in a representation, as in a depiction. As in a monophonic representation of a polyphonic instrument.

But when you share the VCA and or filter of a synth between different "voices" you do run into an issue of not having different envelopes per note, but each not played on an electric guitar doesn't affect the others (so long you don't have interference from feedback and such other fringe cases).

Are fucking retarded? Even if the oscillations aren't summed electrically, they'll by summed in the air, otherwise how the fuck do you sxpain phasing??

>Being this fucking stupid
The human eardrum only detects one compound wave dipshit. By your logic, everything is monophonic.

>but each not played on an electric guitar doesn't affect the others
Except they do, and you can see it on an oscilloscope. Which you would know if you had any idea about what you're talking about but you don't.
>they'll by summed in the air
The average guitarist everybody. Halarious.

But no, a polyphonic instrument is capable of generating individual waveforms and an electric guitar is not. Piano? Polyphonic. Saxophone? Monophonic.

An electric guitar has one output and an electric guitar amplifier has one input because its a monophonic instrument. Hence why you have to split the signal somehow if you want more than one sound at a time out of an electric guitar.

Just to be clear we're not talking about the human ear, we're talking about the output of an electric guitar being monophonic. Can it generate multiple wave forms? No, it can only generate one at a time and that's what makes it a monophonic instrument.

Then explain the difference between polyphonic and monophonic octave pedals.
>implying your warped logic will hold up.

clyp.it/lwyg11ua#

Reposting this cause of no answers.

Is this decent improv?

lmao, you just admitted you don't understand how those pedals work at all.

It takes the mono input and shelves certain frequencies digitally and then it assigns pitches up and down for those frequencies. That's why they all sound "synthetic" and unnatural. The speed at which they can manipulate those frequencies is dependent on the digital processor and that's why pitch shifters have improved over the last decade or so, because the tech required is now small enough and fast enough to pull off a relatively satisfactory sound.

youtube.com/watch?v=nXpEwH4T3cw

rate my tone.

>clyp.it/lwyg11ua#

Pretty good but really short, imagine if you were playing live. You would have run out of ideas by the first minute. My limit has limit has always been 10 minutes, if you can keep coming up with new shit for 10 minutes you're good to go.

Improvisation is like the tide of the ocean or the flow of the river, it must exist like a timeless source of energy otherwise it's exposed for the temporary falsification that it is.

>An electric guitar has one output and an electric guitar amplifier has one input because its a monophonic instrument.

Once again, monaural is not equivalent to monophonic. A polyphonic synth's output can travel on a monaural cable to a monaural amplifier.

Would you also argue that polyphonic synthesizers are actually monophonic?

Thanks, that's a good point. I could definitely go on longer, maybe not 10 minutes yet, but felt that a quick clip would be easier to "rate".

I only say ten minutes because at that point you can pretty much play in any situation that would ask you to improvise. 5 minutes is a good goal if you haven't improvised live too much. Recording yourself for long periods is always good, you start to notice where you're lacking and where your strengths are etc...

A polyphonic synthesizer can generate individual notes, yes. Is the signal going to the amplifier polyphonic? No.

An electric guitar is monophonic because it can't produce individual notes at all. An electric guitar pickup has one output. An electric guitar pickup can't produce more than one sound at a time.

>Is the signal [from a polyphonic synth] going to the amplifier polyphonic? No.

Okay, champ.

Just to be clear, you can play multiple notes on an electric guitar and acoustically they exist but electrically they don't because they can't.
That's correct. The signal going from a polyphonic synth is monophonic. It could be in stereo if you have the option.

Not sure what's confusing you about this. You could be recording an entire orchestra with a single microphone but guess what? If you've recorded to one track its in mono! The signal you recorded isn't polyphonic! Can you believe it?!?

If I multiplex a data bus is it now mono?

I multiplexed your Moms data bus last night and now I have Mono.

Does that answer your question?

Why would you do that though, she's fat, old, and has various viruses

I did it for science and a crunchwrap supreme.

>transformer Oct-up
>digital
Pick one

Or
>octave divider
>digital
Pick one

Are you fucking dumb?

Don't feed frank/roman. He knows he's a dumb shit.

lol this one right here

>frank
elaborate

how do you improvise for 5 or 10 minutes without getting repetitive

good morning gg

Listen to Frank Zappa's guitar albums.

BR?

ys

guitar noob here. got new strings, g and b strings produce no sound from the amp. help pls.

post picks pics

I want to make this sound like a Gibson ES 335, what do I need to do to make that happen?

I've already ordered new pickups, SH-55 Seth Lover's, is there anything else I need to do?

curious to what you decided about the seth lovers microphics

Replace all of the electronics.

i second this
CTS pots and ceramic caps for maximum 335 tone

excuse me? why did i pick the seth lovers? from what i've heard and read, they are the closest to PAF humbuckers without paying the price for legit vintage pups

you were to buy another pickup, you said didnt want the seth lovers cos they arent wax potted

Does anyone have experience with Rickenbackers? I can't between a Rickenbacker 330 and an American Tele...

Noob bassist here, just started a month ago and have a couple of questions.

Are the strings too hard to press or am I being a bitch? Doing scales on the 3rd-5th frets makes my hand hurt, regardless of how relaxed I try to be.

Also, whenever I play a thicker string, some of the thinner strings vibrate and I can hear it on the amp. Is it normal? Do I just need to mute better?

you are literally slow, please hand your laptop/pc/phone/internet accessing devices to your nearest landfill site so you can never make a post as thick as this again

that's what happens when you read too much into what people say on internet forums.

i spent all day yesterday, legitimately 10 hours, watching every video i could find on the pickups i was looking at. I narrowed it down to three: Gibson '57 classics, Seth Lover's, and Pearly Gates.

Seth Lovers were designed by the guy who made the original PAF Humbuckers, so I figured that was a safe bet. if I have to replace the electronics (CTS pots, ceramic caps, as mentioned by ) then I will, but i didnt plan on doing that myself. there's a local guitar tech that will help me out with all of that stuff

desu, i'm clueless about electronics, wiring, etc. so i defer to people more knowledgeable than me

:(

>Seth Lovers were designed by the guy who made the original PAF Humbuckers
theyre made to the specs of the original seth lover's project. the PAFs produced after were different than the original project. just a little historic fact

CTS pots and ceramic caps are the best options of pots and caps but really they only have a change (if any) to regular cheap ones, when they are below 10. unless theyre really bad and draining something from the signal

you might also want it wired like 50's wiring, the wiring that was used on old gibsons.
its supposed to change the tone a tiny bit compared to modern wiring, and you want that to sound like an ol 335.
it also affects the way the tone control works - if the volume is anything below max, the tone will first take off something around the midrange, and only really take off the highs when its really low. it's great for achieving cleans; you lower your volume a bit, then you lower the tone and it cleans the distortion even more.

this pdf talks about les pauls, but the hardware part is the exact same singlecoil.com/docs/paula.pdf

>you might also want it wired like 50's wiring, the wiring that was used on old gibsons.
i'll keep that in mind, what if I want it to sound less like a classic ES 335 and more like a modern one? or at the very least get as close to the sound of one that I possibly can.

(You)
also the 50s wiring causes the volume to not roll off the highs so much by itself, which is really nice and makes it more useable

then you put duncan 59s/some gibson humbuckers and wire it with regular wiring

last question, i saw that new models of ES 335's have Probucker's 1 and 2, the epiphone I bought comes with Probucker's 2 and 3 but sound like absolute shit -- at least the bridge pickup does. would i be better off with Probuckers 1 and 2, or the Seth Lovers?

>am I being a bitch?
yes

>some of the thinner strings vibrate and I can hear it on the amp. Is it normal?
considering you're a beginner, yes
try to use your thumb and part of your picking hand to smother those awful sounds

like you said, strings in a bass are way thicker: that mean their resonating vibration will affect any other nearby string, that's why a good muting technique is key when playing the bass

eventually you will become more and more skilled and your muting will be on spot

more experienced players use something like a flat styrofoam, or some kind of velvet-ish fabric to smooth the sound: but you don't want to do that yet, because this way you will never learn from your mistakes

If you can't play fast, you are not good at guitar.

your playing is incredibly sloppy (just finished watching the KISS cover you did recently and the Bach cover); but with more practice you'll be able to clean that up.

idk, it just feels like your timing and sense of rhythm is really really off. Not crazyaga bad; but still needs some serious work.

I'm an electrical engineer, audio engineer, luthier, and guitarist. You are a complete moron or an excellent troll. Consider your debts fulfilled.

And I'm a billionaire with a 30 inch cock and two blondes giving me a rim job as i type this

Me:
What is happening here is that this fellow doesn't understand the difference between the various meanings of "monophonic" in different contexts. The original discussion was about monophonic as in monophonic/polyphonic music, not monophonic/stereophonic musical signals. It has 2 different meanings, and you actually are retarded for not realizing that.

maybe it sounds so sloppy because its mixed with the camera audio
is it as sloppy in here?clyp.it/mf3ybbqg
the fast parts sound sloppy and with some burred notes

which song is the bach cover?

thanks for the criticism, guess i'll keep practicing to a metronome and working on playing cleaner and tighter

lmao you use all your money and dick to get someone to stick their tongue in your ass?

>still trolling at this point
>>reddit.com might be the right place for you.

It's the ultimate dominance over a bish
letting her eat ur poo particles and butt pubes

maybe it sounds so sloppy because its mixed with the camera audio.... is it as sloppy on this clean recording?
clyp.it/mf3ybbqg
ah the fast runs still sound sloppy and with some burred notes to me

which song is the bach cover?

thanks for the criticism, guess i'll keep practicing to a metronome and working on playing cleaner and tighter

If you can't identify the bpm of a song by tapping your foot and counting, you should kill yourself.

If you've ever needed to practice to a metronome instead of just listening and repeating what you've heard, you should kill yourself.

If you can't identify strumming patterns on the first listen and repeat them, you should kill yourself.

i can do the second and third but hows one supposed to know how many bpms is some speed if he never played to a metronome; you kill youself

>not using a metronome
>having the same accuracy as a Quartz oscillator

>strumming patterns

this is the easiest

some strumming patterns are complex and there is no way they can be picked up within first listen