Newest On Cinema episode

>majority of this is improvisation
youtube.com/watch?v=IQtNboS3Eh8

Other urls found in this thread:

articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/15/entertainment/la-et-mn-tim-heidecker-comedy-eric-wareham-movie-theaters-20121115
youtube.com/watch?v=MGs1-bfiYFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7wlIwA2CA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Damn when he did that de niro's impression I was like wow is that deniro on tim's seat?

I was wondering, for those who have been following Tim's "career", I've been losing interest with what he's doing. I feel that he is an intelligent person yet he still hasn't presented any sort of articulate philosophy/ideas surrounding his comedy. Has anyone seen any analyses of what the fuck he is trying to achieve these days with ironic/satiric comedy (e.g. his political stuff/blurring the line between his character and actuality)?

"you talkin' to me?" haha Taxi Drivers, a classic!

I get the feeling it was a shtick that has shtuck and now he can't shake it, so he just piles more on and then comes to resent the people who like him for it so makes out that they're all idiots and suggests the intention wasn't for anyone to like it and more silly hipster shit, hence the 'wah I'm depressed' movie.

He didn't write The Comedy, he was chosen to star in it by the director. He still just likes doing his ironic thing, it really hasn't changed much at all. He was just a good pick for that movie because he has an underlying darkness in all his roles.

>Should I see a movie this weekend? AAAAAH!!
This is my favourite bit.

>'wah I'm depressed' movie
Are you referring to The Comedy? The Comedy is his best work IMO, with Alverson he was able to create a paradoxically mature film about characterizing irony. But his stuff now seems to be losing tact, I know that he has said things about the internet being a place for expressing opinions and how it has made determining the sincerity of certain expressions very convoluted.

Yeah, but he was able to play a character that he sees some of himself in.
>articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/15/entertainment/la-et-mn-tim-heidecker-comedy-eric-wareham-movie-theaters-20121115
This is just about the only interview I can find where he is relatively articulate, yet he doesn't say much. I get worried when he mentions the "financing" of his comedy (note the interview was 4 years ago) because I feel that he might not be doing what he truly wants to do (rather what he expects the majority of his fans want to see). This is also kind of reinforced with his music endeavours, being something that he can do without consideration for fans of his comedy. I feel like he has a lot to say but just doesn't choose to say it for some reason, and i can't really figure out why.

i really like the shot of Gregg beckoning you into the theater.

Yeah but maybe it's for the best he's mainly known for his comedy. Dekkar fucking blows, dude

One thing that comes to mind is that Tim seems like the kind of guy who might come home to find his wife having sexual relations with another man. A black man. Really makes you think.

What did he mean by this?

you're probably being ironic but
youtube.com/watch?v=MGs1-bfiYFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7wlIwA2CA

i just found out about this show last week. i'm marathoning my way through it right now. so hilarious. greg is the MVP for sure.

the ac noise kills me

Don't forget to watch decker along side it, when it becomes relevant

it's very foreboding. you just know he's going to be putting in a VHS copy of some obscure shitty 80s/90s movie and raping you to death.

When does the funny happen? This is stupid.

Anti-humor, random humor etc. doesn't age that well. If you watch an episode of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" today you'll find most of it unfunny. The show took the form it did because Monty Python didn't like writing punchlines, so you have a show devoid of them. Ironically the sketches that stand out the most are the ones that build to a humorous finish (Joke warfare, How not to be seen etc.).

Tim and Eric's show was the same way, no punchline anti-humor. I liked the show at the time but re-watching it, once the shock value has worn off there's little of any substance left. It's almost like anti-humor develops its own formulas and conventions.

There's a level of crafstmanship that comes with creating comedy that can't be obtained by some one aiming to "de-construct" comedy, or rebel against comedy. In a way it's like looking at abstract art, looking at an individual painting by Franz Kline or Mark Rothko can be an eye-opening experience. But if you look at the entirety of their respective oeuvres, you'll find how little they had to say. In rebelling against a perceived formula (craft), they just ended up creating an individual, cruder formula which doesn't stand the test of time, because it can't.

Tim must knows he's not a good craftsman (since his stand-up makes fun of stand-up comedy in general), which means he has a very limited vocabulary to express his ideas with. Furthermore the arbitrary and self-imposed limitations of anti-comedy prevents certain ideas from being expressed at all.

I still liked the first season of Decker, though.

Thanks, OP, I was about to post this.

It's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this. I really like T&E and On Cinema, but it's devolving further and further of Tim being an abusive asshole and Gregg just taking it. As the camera panned out at the beginning of this episode, I was expecting Gregg to show up with a black eye or something. I mean it's well done, but it's painful.

At this point it might be better for Tim's character to die from an OD and the show to continue into a no-budget nightmare with Gregg co-hosting along various other nobodies.

By the way, have they actually hosted any film screenings at the Victorville Film Center? It would be truly amazing to have Gregg in character host a shitty 90s VHS movie. However this would be impossible to do because of all the /r/etards who go on spouting catch-phrases from the various T&E for no reason whatsoever.

Tim really needs to get in shape already. Meanwhile Gregg is delivering great On Location segments with interesting trivia on movies from the golden age of cinema. And adding insult to injury he's started seeing yet another girl that's going to distract him from his On Cinema At The Cinema obligations.

>If you watch an episode of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" today you'll find most of it unfunny

Is this what idiots actually believe?

Love it. I didn't really notice it this time, though.

I don't think he has any agenda. He's another apolitical Hollywood liberal and thus probably thinks there's a big difference between the democrats and the republicans, hence the Trump hatred.

We don't really need an agenda from a comedian nor a musician though. He's funny and that's what counts. At the time of ASGJ and Nite Live, you could say they were satirizing pop culture and television, how disposable it all is and those pathetic nobodies' from Hollywood attempting to emulate the big tv shows. I'm pleased to say they moved on quite successfully with Bedtime Stories, which illustrate various casual, everyday manners your life can go to hell, e.x. having a neighbour from hell, getting scammed etc.

Plus, he gives various poor/weird/different people a place to express their art and that's nice. He might be ridiculing them at the same time, I can't really tell for sure.

that's a great idea but the victorville film center doesn't actually exist.

i'm sure they just film in a random movie theatre. maybe it's in victorville, maybe it's not.

DUDE
SILLY WALKS
LMAO

>. If you watch an episode of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" today you'll find most of it unfunny.
no i wont. nice assumption though.

>There's a level of crafstmanship that comes with creating comedy that can't be obtained by some one aiming to "de-construct" comedy, or rebel against comedy

With the intent to make a statement about comedy and what it is, you usually have to be an articulate/smart person. Awesome Show rarely demonstrates any intelligence, but that's intentional especially with the audience they seemed to be going for. Tim's career and how it has now evolved/devolved into fanbase interaction, and political satire just becomes confusing and even frustrating at times.

I feel that in irony/post-irony, the end goal is always trying to create a message about sincerity (e.g Frank Zappa's album Joe's Garage achieves sincerity with Watermelon in Easter Hay) The Comedy is sort of a form of this sincerity but Tim still has yet to demonstrate any commentary on meaning/comedy itself.

I think that to say he's "another apolitical hollywood liberal", is pretty surface level, the character he is doing online right now doesn't seem to even have meaning, it's participating in political comedy on a level that is both bizarre and confusing

His m.o. is essentially to deconstruct the other side via a straw man argument. His character is an anti-vaxxer who supports all sorts of quackery and a republican/anti-democrat. And obviously he's an idiot and a bad person to be around. He's a satirical character.

By the way, I'm not saying I'm against those things, but that's the extent of the average Hollywood liberal's political beliefs. Trump baaaad, Hillary goooood.

I can't believe Tim still trusts Dr. San after everything.

I know what his character is. It's just that the actuality of "Tim Heidecker", the sincere existence of any "artist" with something meaningful to say about the "human condition" (pardon the buzzwords) is essential in leaving something behind in the world.

My theory is that Tim could already be satisfied with his family (wife and child) and close friends as he approaches death and leaving something behind. And currently, with the vocal online faggotry of his, confusingly negative, fanbase, which has only reinforced his misanthropy, he probably doesn't feel that anything meaningful he has to say is worthwhile on their ears.

Oh, okay. In that case, I refer you to my post to which you already replied, his legacy (so far) being about deconstructing the Hollywood glamour and illustrating the mundane nightmares we have to put up with just living in this world. And there's also his music, which is beyond our criticisms here in Sup Forums, possibly elsewhere too.

But let's not get so dark. He (and Eric, too) is young and hopefully has a long, happy and creative life ahead of him.

>young and happy creative life ahead of him
I just really hope Tim knows this, I'm also hoping he knows that he has fans that really do love his work and can see (although obscured) the intelligence in it.

Its just comedy. There's no "agenda" nor should there be. Some (idiots) will say he got his hand forced into politics when he recorded I Am A Cuck but if anything he's just momentarily taking the piss and getting some clicks. Politics is so far outside of Heidecker's brand of comedy it doesn't even feel right to mention the two in the same thought

Sup Forums during US election years is more cancerous than anywhere else both online and irl save for an actual candidate rally

Is the man-bun supposed to be ironic?

There's no irony in this show.

I don't agree with all of this but I wanted to appreciate a well written post so here's a (You)

This conversation between the two of you is retarded but this particular post really makes me wanna give you a dunce cap and a swift punch in the gut to knock the air out of you for a minute

If you really and truly feel it necessary to respond to me, make it interesting and see how far you can get without using the word reddit

Long blocks of text amounting to a high school senior tipping his fedora don't make a well written post. This dude has a bare bones familiarity with T&E, enjoyed some episodes of Awesome Show but knows its not cool to like them on Sup Forums this year so he chugged a red bull and jacked off all over his keyboard.

What is the point of this post and why did you feel the need to post it when you could have entered the conversation by providing counter points and actual criticism? These are rhetorical questions and at this point, I'd rather you just enter the conversation instead of responding to them with a sentence or two, using the word reddit--You were right user, I couldn't do it

nice

Tim plays Overwatch.
Tim was in a match with me the other night.
I called him a cuck twice.
He went fucking insane with ranting about his life, Trump, and the alt right.
Entire fucking all chat just sat and mocked him until he left afterwords.

I wish I could make this shit up, but it made my fucking night!

he stated an opinion that I don't often see represented on the internet and wanted to appreciate that. It's not a david foster wallace essay but it's not poorly written either. It's not overly verbose, he's not trying to show-off by overwriting it, and gets the point across nicely

You're autistic af, m8.

Your words made me angry so I hulked out for a second, sorry.

No, I just feel like you misunderstand what Tim does and are projecting a bunch of bullshit onto him and his work, the same way Hyde's Sup Forums fanbase does. Applying politics to this stuff is outlandish and cheapens the impact of the artist's work

You are what is wrong with this board. Please remember that whenever you are questioning the quality of this board

Yeah but his point is retarded. T&E aren't necessarily anti-comedy. A ton of their extended work outside of Awesome Show are situational and straight forward. Even some of Awesome Show was that way too.

The deathblow was when he said it lacks substance, thats when I knew this poster was a pretentious dipshit.

do you have a recording

Not an argument.

It's a green screen.

Lololol autism autism cuck cuck nigger nigger race war now kike trump shillary lol AUTISTIC NIGGER kekekek zozzle I love feeling like I'm a part of something and all I gotta do is type a word!

REDDIT

Hey Guys!

I'm this poster man, , , and yes, I am definitely projecting onto him and his work, but that is all I can do when trying to find out what is going on in his head. And sure, you can call it bullshit and pointless, but with what Tim is doing right now, how he presents himself, it's becoming pretty foggy, and I thought it'd be interesting to discuss it. I think the political stuff he is doing is completely indecipherable

"You're autistic" was? Oh god now you're gonna name drop all the argumentative fallacies you know, spare me I read wikipedia too

I'm glad he's finally being recognized as a co-host.

I agree with you re: T&E, but his point on reactionary movements being limited and not able to stand the test of time I agree with to a point

>older On Cinema is nostalgic for me
god dammit

Its all fine and good to wonder what makes the artist tick but in this case I don't see why general insanity and the desire to create material ranging from dry to unnerving to pants shittingly hilarious don't cut it as answers. Imo he hasn't been doing anything political at all, but then again I take things like even his PBD advert as satire

Comfiest 2 words I've ever heard

Well we still teach the Spanish inquisition to our kids so...

Even then, why does something have to stand the test of time to have value? Everything ever is or has been or will become dust, why not celebrate the things we find entertaining in the present?

*pbs

I don't know, I feel like Tim really does care about money if anything just for utilities sake.

Ooh, a bad boy, me so scared!

I'm the guy to whom you replied. I really can't tell if you're on Dr. San's wacky tobaccy. You were the first to say the word reddit in this discussion and resort to such meme buzzwords. Fuck off.

>articulate philosophy/ideas surrounding his comedy

Autisic analysis would ruin it.Is he anti comedy? If you define comedy as something that must conform to certain conventions then breaking those conventions have comedic results. I laugh at his material,so it's good comedy.

I find that hard to believe, even if he wasn't mature enough to understand only mainstream art makes money he has to have realized its not a profitable business by now. He worked so hard to establish connections with dudes like Bob Odenkirk in the beginning with the knowledge that he would likely lose money just to get his projects of passion of the ground. Even once he did its still a niche audience of fans, most of whom end up torrenting dvds and tv rips or even the pdf of their new book. Even now his live shows generally don't bring in huge numbers.

I'm sure he hates working whatever his 2nd job is though

Little late on the upswing slugger, you'll nail it next time

Yeah but if we stop at I like it or I don't like it how are we supposed to fly off the handle into impotent rage and have 300+ post shitflinging threads about it? If we can't find something to get pissed about after clawing and digging at a thing we gotta fabricate something to get pissed about!

Flying circus is full of duds, that's not to say I think John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle etc. are untalented. The sketches that stand out to me are the rare ones where it builds to a satisfying punchline. A particularly strong one is the Mt. Kilimanjaro expedition sketch. There are some Tim and Eric sketches that do this pretty well. Jim and Derrick being a good one.

I enjoy ironic/post-ironic comedy for the experimentation, even though it usually falls flat for me. But that's the risk that comes with being experimental.

Maybe anti-comedy was the wrong word. Alternative comedy might be a better one.

>Even then, why does something have to stand the test of time to have value?
It was a response to the question 'why am I losing interest in Tim Heidecker's work. The Spanish Inquisition is another good sketch with a strong punchline.

What the hell happened to the love that was filling the air in the previous episode?

oh ayaka

bump

haha what a cuck!

>first reply
>ad hominem
thanks for playing ;^)

stay mad.

the alt-right are the popular "trolls" of the now, but they always face sincere actors. the crazy leftists who genuinely think white people are awful, being fat is healthy, etc. they have yet to encounter someone who is a troll in their own right. he's just fucking with the current political climate. he has no agenda so he can step back and see how stupid it is so he's getting a laugh out if it.

I tend to get more laughs out of gregg than tim on this show.

Same his character is fucking genius

When gregg was talking about "Someone" who was living in the storage area, was it really him?

it's hilarious how real his character is

Tim lives in the storage unit, with Axioms bitch, they fuck on a VHS bed, did you watch the episode?

In the episode Tim talks about how the landlord took away Greggs bathroom privilages for 2 months, gregg retorts that this was because someone else was using the storage space to live in.

I thought this might be a reference to when gregg first got into Victorville and was starting the archives, and indeed was sleeping in the storage unit.

lifeless and monotonous

I'll kick your teeth in if you don't stop dragging America's band through the dirt like this.

I love on cinema. And I am thankful for Tim Heidecker. #Blessed
Also. I pray to God on thanksgiving every year, mostly to thank him for Tim and sometimes Eric.

What does his wife's daughter think about it?

Why is this post so nostalgic? Like everything in the magery it presents is nostalgic.

final bump

The latest oscar special was great. A 4 hour descend into chaos.