Since philosophy and politics go hand in hand is it worth reading old Greek and Roman philosophers?

Since philosophy and politics go hand in hand is it worth reading old Greek and Roman philosophers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CqGsg01ycpk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No
The only philosophy you need to know is might makes right and you truly know knothing

>Roman philosophers
This exists?

Philosophy and politics have no direct relation to each other but the answer is yes anyway

>what is The Republic

Yes! Sup Forums would be a better place if we all did.

kierkegaard and Camus

I'm glad your american "public education" is paying off

Never heard of this fag

>never even heard of aurelius
lost cause wherever you come from

He was a practitioner of stoicism. Famous because he was also an emperor.

Stoics are all you need. The rest is worthless since they already got everything correct from the workings of the universe to the proper way to live ones life.

The world would be right if philosophers were kings and kings philosophers -
Its like brain cookies too me desu famalam

Seneca the Younger

Not a quote by Marcus Aurelius. Apparently it's bullshit. I made the same mistake.

cicero?

Ehh worst case scenario someone looks it up, discovers it is wrong but finds something else they like

False quote, Marcus was a very pious man.

It is not particularly relevant to understanding philosophy.

Philosophy before the eighteenth century is not the same thing as philosophy after the eighteenth century.

Aristotle is as important to understanding philosophy as he is to understanding biology. Which is to say that it is a fascinating look into the history of human thought.

What it isn't is relevant.

Yes, start with the pre-socratics and read up to Plato. If you like it continue if not no big deal

youtube.com/watch?v=CqGsg01ycpk

Plato was based. Read The Republic.

>The Republic: what I remember
>common property and families amongst guardian class
>eugenic breeding program among guardian class

Interesting concepts.

start with plato's republic.

lucretius