Why is the NBA regular season MVP much more important than any other american sport MVP trophy?

Why is the NBA regular season MVP much more important than any other american sport MVP trophy?

All of the other major sports are team sports.

basketball is heroball

Percentages.

5 players on an NBA team
9 on a MLB team
11 on an NFL team x 2

basketball plays the most games per season out of any north american sport

I have no idea. MVPs in football are sorely undervalued and seldom does a player get it who isn't phenomenal. Not to say there aren't ring counters in the NBA who place too much emphasis on championships either, but it's much more egregious in the NFL.

Pretty sure MLB surpasses NBA in that regard.

>baseball
>sport

But the NBA isn't important

Nah. Have you seen regular season NBA games? Sloppy, half-energy, low intensity, unserious affairs. They play like crazy in the postseason but half the players are just showing up in the regular season because there's just so many damn games.

Its the only relevant league you guys have

Harden is pretty much locked in unless Westbrook does something miraculous and get a top 3 seed

Because a basketball player is 10% of all the players on the court and will play at least 75% of every game

Basketball is shit & has been since fuckers couldn't hand check. Lebron is most likely the GOAT in that sport because the league is SOFT.

Thirty years ago... Charles Oakley would bang on Lebron & he'd have to deal. Now... pussy footin'

Youre retarded

Only for casuals. MVP is a meme award. If the MVP was actually awarded to the most valuable player in the league then it would go to LeBron James every single year no questions asked. The NBA likes to give the MVP to meme players like Steve Nash, Derrick Rose, and Steph Curry just to keep the MVP race fresh and not just "LeBronwinslol".

It's a marketing award more than anything.

The real individual award that actually matters is Finals MVP.

>Falling for the LeBron narrative

What a customer

>tf,tt

LeBron doesn't sell the way the league thought he would because everyone hates him. Steph Curry's original popularity surge was due to him beating LeBron and the fans rallied behind the notion that he was actually better than LeBron. Understanding that LeBron is unquestionably the best player in the world and has been for about a decade now is the opposite of being a customer.

> 82 > 16

> most in any sport

MVP discussions in any sport really beg the question of what the MVP award actually is. Because often times it goes to the best player, not the most valuable.

For example, I think there is an argument to be made that Derek Carr is the most valuable player to his franchise. They went from a legit Owl threat to absolute utter dogshit when he went down. Night and day. That's value. That said, Matt Ryan likely had a better season, but he is surrounded by better talent. So while better, he is individually less important to his team's success.

All to say that the MVP should probably just be renamed to Best Player This Year Award, because if it was truly an MVP award, it would go to Lebron, Carey Price and Mike Trout every year.

Right I can agree with that, but LeBron still wins even if there is a difference between "most valuable" and "best". When he left the Cavs they went from a 60 win team to a 20 win team, and stayed a 20 win team until he came back and they shot right back up to 60 wins again. When he rests for a game his team always loses even to garbage teams, when he plays his team can hang with the best teams in the league. I get what you're saying but I don't think any player in the last decade has been better or more valuable than LeBron.

I agree though, it should just be "best player" but the "MVP race" garners so much attention every year that the NBA would never get rid of that.

Lebron might be an exception because he may be the greatest to ever play (not the discussion I want to have right now) so he is going to have enormous value and be undeniably the best.

That said I think Westbrook is the MVP this season, if we're going by value terms. And he could win the award outright, however the memelords classify it.

Oh yeah that's the other thing that I think is super retarded about the MVP award. Russell Westbrook pretty much has no chance of winning it despite possibly deserving it the most, because the Thunder aren't going to finish with a top 3 seed. That's such a fucking retarded concept, you're only considered for MVP if your team is elite. Makes no sense.

It's fucked desu.

This whole season has just been a formality before Cavs-Warriors Trilogy Finals anyways. Salary cap league my ass.

Heisman is held in higher regards

the real question is why anyone watches basketball

and free throws suck to watch

>Westbrook is literally playing solo and carrying the team by himself
>Curry or Durant still gets the MVP