Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6sAX0vEar-M
youtube.com/watch?v=sLprVF6d7Ug
youtube.com/watch?v=ChOhcHD8fBA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

netflix

Pure kino

Laserdisc Revival

I think Blu ray and UHD will co-exist for a while, supported by labels such as Arrow, Criterion, Masters of Cinema etc for collectors and afficionados. The plebs will settle for streaming.

10tb USB sticks with straight from the editing room lossless files

SSD

DVD

DVD always did

DVDmind

Honestly? Digital streaming.

There's a reason Blockbuster is gone. People like the convenience of having thousands upon thousands of movies instantly available without having to leave their home.

are you mentally retarded

Streaming but it won't happen for some time, also those 4K Blu Rays that have been coming out this year will flop in a year or so (literally never met one person with one).

4K Streaming services.

Honestly 720p is "good enough" for any film. Sure they'll release 4K films to maintain the cashflow from hype buyers, but nobody's going to actually notice the difference between that and 1080p. VR films will likely be a thing, but it doesn't seem like it will be something mainstream any time soon.

People don't even care about "home theater" audio anymore like they did 10-15 years ago. It doesn't look like there's anything going for better film experiences in the near future. People will probably just be strapping their phones to their faces.

It's great being able to stream movies and shows on my tablet when I'm nowhere near the TV, like on a train or plane with in-flight Wi-Fi, or when I'm taking a nice bubble bath (on a stand placed outside of the tub for common sense reasons).

>People will probably just be strapping their phones to their faces.

If the Samsung Gear VR and Google Cardboard says anything, they already are.

youtube.com/watch?v=6sAX0vEar-M

Saw a guy wearing one of those in a car the other day. Very confusing

>Hipsters are reviving records, even though CDs are superior in every way
>Nobody gives a fuck about Blu-Ray, even though they are technically better than streamed shit

>even though they are technically better than streamed shit

YouTube is already streaming 8K while Blu-ray is just putting it's 4K shoes on.

youtube.com/watch?v=sLprVF6d7Ug

youtube.com/watch?v=ChOhcHD8fBA

probably 3d optical storage since large companies are interested in the idea of mass cold storage

4K Blu-Ray.

Nobody else cares about physical media anymore so no more competition.

That being said physical media still has a major foothold and will be around for decades. You don't always have internet and many, many areas of the US has shitty as fuck internet that's controlled by monopolies in their area and have spotty as fuck reliability.

Hell, I still have DVDs that I watch from time to time that I have no way to streaming through legit services like Netflix/Amazon. When the power goes down my family has a few old laptops/portable DVD players and we'll break them out and watch movies on them to pass the time.

My point is there will always be a niche for them and I can almost guarantee we'll still see DVD 10 years from now and Blu-Ray sales even further but further diminished.

Resolution isn't the only thing that is important.

Bitrate is far more important and streams generally lack good bitrates.

Also streams don't have surround sound and generally use shitty low bitrate aac stereo.

They also lack features like secondary audio tracks and embedded subtitles.

Also real media players > html5 players in browsers.

>When the power goes down my family has a few old laptops/portable DVD players and we'll break them out and watch movies on them to pass the time.

You can't stream movies over LTE?

Honestly in 5 years 4K TVs will be cheap and everyone with money will probably have one thanks to Black Friday deals. So to answer your question, 4K blu ray, if it's even called that.

DVD only still exists because Blu-Ray insists on being overpriced to hell in back.

You're looking at the cheapest models being at around the 60 dollar range. That's ridiculous considering the fucking tech came out 10 years ago. DVD dropped in price to kill VHS immediately.

They market them as "why not? they can play DVDs TOO" but most poorer people don't give a fuck about that and just skip out on it and end up settling for streaming with Netflix. The brand of Blu-Ray is literally killing itself and doesn't realize it.

We don't have some huge data plan that makes that viable.

I'd put it to more like 2 years. 4K TVs will be affordable by this holiday season with deals. by 2018 it'll be being pushed as the standard and we'll be talking about 6K.

>he brand of Blu-Ray is literally killing itself and doesn't realize it.
or they know everything will be digital so they are ringing out as much money as possible before their business model becomes defunct

35mm film

They buy them so they can "have Netflix on da tv"

(y)ew

Then they should have killed DVD years ago. Sony has whole ownership of the Blu-Ray name and gets every bit of it's proceeds.

They could have killed out DVD by making Blu-Rays the same price as DVDs years ago. Yet, didn't. Holding out. Being patient. Ignoring streaming. They fucked up. Made deals with companies still clinging to DVD like Toshiba/Phillips. This shit show could have been stomped out 6 or so years ago by having cheap as fuck Blu-Rays out by 2012. Cheap as fuck players out.

They held out and handed Netflix the market.

TVs now come with Netflix built in. They're redundant.