How do i get into African music? Pic kinda related i guess

How do i get into African music? Pic kinda related i guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7tM0RE5yq5A
youtube.com/watch?v=3MiJT9K30no
wrek.org/subsaharanvibes/
youtube.com/watch?v=KipvO0asQXM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

don't waste your time

I just found that in my grandfather's vinyl collection. Should I keep it?

Fuck it

"African music" is a very broad and vague term, considering that each country on the African continent have their own style of music.

I kinda made this thread because there was a chart that was posted every time with some guy's favorites, anybody know what I'm talking about? It had Afrocubism on it

try Fela Kuti

youtube.com/watch?v=7tM0RE5yq5A

yes it's fantastic

fela is my pick too

not very traditional but very unique

start with some Mali blues, it's pretty good

it's confusing, but it is definitely worth it. Like the other user says, it varies by country and region. So pick a country and go with compilations. Nigeria is good place to start. So listen to these "Nigeria Special" compilations. Here is one: youtube.com/watch?v=3MiJT9K30no

God I love this shit. It's like the best music on the planet.

There are some good radio shows like this one that has been around for many years here in atlanta:
wrek.org/subsaharanvibes/

Nothing wrong with that paul simon album OP.

This is a great album.

osibisa

>implying it's music

yes x10

There's a fucking billion types of African music.

If you want the Graceland sound look to Mbaqanga. Check out the Next Stop Soweto comp.

>start with cultural appropriation core (talking heads, graceland, 'o'rang, lion king soundtrack)
>listen to fela kuti
>move to africa and start living for those chimes and polyrhytms
>get ebola aids and die a patrician

This is one of my all-time favourites

Here's some music from Morocco:

youtube.com/watch?v=KipvO0asQXM

Bonga isn't bad, he's Angolan and his music is probably more Portuguese inspired but does have African mix

Djeli Moussa Diawara

listening to african music is a phase, like hiphopm reggae or edm (unless you have arrested development), you you start realizing how boring & tacky it is, you'll move on.

with one important exception osibisa. those guys are still tight. plus the fact that legendary designer roger dean designed their covers makes them ever more awesome

disregarding the entirety of african music but saying the most entry level african group are the exception. can't tell if this is bait or not
this is me btw

so what african languages do you speak? if not, what's the point of listening to something you don't understand?