Roman Empire in Pop Culture

Your favourite Ancient Rome films or tv series, and it's best moment.

>Patricians and Plebs are welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vN-ttCBHyx8
youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HE WAS A CONSUL OF ROME!!

THIRTEEEEN!

SHAME ON THE HOUSE TOL EMMY

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Jesus Christ Superstar.

ATIA OF THE JULII I CALL FOR JUSTICE

>There are posters RIGHT NOW that think the Republic was better than the Empire

Watching that son of a bitch get beaten perhaps is one of the most satisfying moment i've ever experienced in movie.

Most already mentioned. Rome (HBO) is my favourite.

I'm thinking of watching this one, what do you think is it any good?

Think of Ridley Scott's Gladiator mixed up with 300, and lots of sex.

>tfw you're not playing the Europa Universalis Rome Vae Victis with the Reign of the Ancients mod

I tried to marathon the first episode but I couldn't stomach it, low budget, terrible acting, cliché innacurate cheese fest.

>You will never be a Roman Auxiliary hoping to gain Roman citizenship.

The Cursus Honorum in that game. Fuck it.

like 300 without the decent plot and with annoying bitches

>tfw Ancient Empires coming out soon

It's fun and all but it nowhere near approaches the quality of Rome's first season

Spartacus is more "dude blood and tits lmao" with a low budget and no regard for the source material

That said if you just want something fun where people hack at each other with swords in between sex scenes then there you go

Would Claudius post on Sup Forums if he were alive today?

I think he'd be a robot desu

the first four episodes are kind of a pain to sit through
then it gets good
after that it gets great

If you like Rome, perhaps you wanted to try this one. It's the continuation of the period depicted in Rome S2. A bit old, and definitely lower budget than most movies/show mentioned here, but worth a try.

>lorica hamata

>tfw you cried like a bitch when ol' max finally died

Perhaps way too old for most of you and your taste. But i seeing it hasn't mentioned, i guess i'll just drop it here.

>he's a segmentata guy

someone should do one of those images with all the emperors and what boards they would post on

Post yfw you realised Livia was completely right, and bringing back the Republic was a fucking retarded idea

Ridley took too much historical liberty for this movie. But i love it anyway, it's one of the few times where going 'off page' manage to make a more compelling/dramatic story.

His death is earned, it's not like he has anywhere else to go after avenging his family. Good ol' Max is in a better place.

>Rally to me.

>only right answer

My favorite piece of Rome fiction is a comic series. The Eagles of Rome. It's basically like the HBO series, but more historically accurate and as a comic. It helps that it takes place, for a large part, where I live, and one of the characters wears a piece of armour that looks a lot like one in the local museum.

Also, the book Rubicon about the fall of the Republic is quite awesome. It gives a really good feeling for the culture in Rome during the latter days of the Republic. From them treating the Gauls the way the Renaissance West treated Africans and such, so Lucullus striking out further than any Roman general before him and being snubbed by Pompeius Magnus. It's history with a more social focus, but it's still history.

I get the feeling that after Troy, filmmakers have been trying to make historical stuff a little more believable. The experts can still tear it apart, but overall there's more of an effort. It's a shame that Hollywood just started ignoring Rome when this era started. I suppose Rome has been immensely popular before that, so maybe people are a little burned out, but it's an immensely interesting part of history. I wish there were more modern attempts. Now that we know more about history than ever, and the commitment is there to make historically accurate fiction, we need new movies and series about Rome.

TRVE
R
V
E

His death nicely wraps up the story.

Max dies peacefully and is reunited with his family after accomplishing all his goals. Commodus's crimes have been avenged and Max's honor restored while Marcus Aurelius dying wish has been fulfilled.

>my wife's son

T b h The Eagle and Centurion are ancientRomankino

Why do burgers even watch Roman Empire based movies and series, they aren't even from Europe?

Anyone else actually watch this? Everyone keep saying it's a garbage... why so much hate on ol' Caligula?

Centurion's story is too thin. Good performances and amazing cinematography though make it at least worth a try.

The legacy of Roman Empire is huge for the Western civilization, and it's story and fame is well known all across the world. So it's only natural peoples would like to find out more and see how was the great empire look and the life of it's major figures.

>I AM SPARTACUS
>I AM SPARTACUS
>NO, I AM SPARTACUS

youtube.com/watch?v=vN-ttCBHyx8

Also note that this singer is an ex-D'Oyly Carter, you could tell because of his technique sounding like Darrel Fancourt's and Donald Adams'

Docudrama made by the BBC. All episodes available on Dailymotion

Is there any other documentary show like this one these days?

>Tiberius
>Caligula
>Claudius
>Nero
The republic may have been retarded, but so was the julio-claudian dynasty.

BLOOD RAINS DOWN FROM AN ANGRY SKY

Julius Caesar with Marlon Brando as Marc Anthony. Shit was intense.

>modern Italians thinking they have anything to do with Romans
>fucking SICILIANS no less

WE WUZ ROMANZ N SHEEEET

Reminder that East Rome is best Rome.

First season is gold. Second season is shit.

Sicily was the breadbasket of Rome. Just as Italian as Napoli or Genoa or any of you Mediterranean water-Jews.

byzantine greek shits are NOT romans

>if i live in the same place those ancient people lived in that makes me the same ethnicity by magic! :D
>doesn't matter if im actually an arab lmao

t. roach

I was of Greek culture, and stayed like that for a long time. Even in the middle ages, during the Moor and Norman dominance on the isle, it was still quite Greek.

>all that blinding and castration

NIGGA DONT TALK SHIT ABOUT THE EASTERN ROMANS

A eunuch under Theodora and Justinian's rule led to reconquest of much of Italy. He was also instrumental in turning the Nica riots on its head.

the first battle scene was great
until you realize romans didn't even throw their pila and were in poor formation

Most of the Roman Emperors weren't even from Rome.

This actor was born to play Mark Antony. Was he even acting at all?

>doesn't even have the city of rome
>call yourself rome anyway

get out.

Constantinople IS Rome.

No, it's IsIstanbul

Barbarian-Fu

Superior Roman Waifu

Why is she so beautiful...

too old

more like her daughter

>Did cat got your tongue?

Aryan Genes

She got married like three times is it? Fucked by at least 5 men, including his own brother.

Still hot...

4 men and 1 woman to be precise

Unless his first husband fucks her too, that make it 6

When is season 3 coming out?

Exotic Egyptian-Fu coming through

If sex is an olympic game, she surely wins a gold

>Probably just a propaganda though

>mfw pretending one is a sequal to the other and watching them in sucession
obviously Michael Fassbender is Channing Tatum's dad

I Claudius is fantastic and overall a better story than Rome. The acting is fine as well, the production values might get some time to get used to. I read once that they were planning an HBO remake, no idea if it ever took off.

>My waifu is so horny she beat a prostitute in a sex marathon

>That scene where the guard is executed and he bleeds all over the floor. The two whores come and rub his blood on their vaginas and piss on his body.

Why aren't they black like the true Romans?

I watched it, it was basically a high budget B movie, only memorable for the conceit that Caligula was actually a moralist who was testing everyone else's degeneracy.
None of the principle actors were ever in any of the "hardcore" scenes, they could be edited out of the film with no interruption.
Films like this so irritate because you get the sense they could have been great, but no one bothered enough.

Tony's family originated in Campania though, not Sicily. Same with Paulie, while Silvio's was from Calabria.

>slavs
>best Rome

shiggy

Damn it Anthony, keep it in your pants

Polly Walker was the best actor in the series. Atia killed it.

>WE WUZZ ROMANZ AND SHIEETZ
>Say all those Roman Empire wannabe

List of emperor's birth places from Augustus through the Theodosian dynasty:
Rome: 10
Italia:14
Hispania: 4
Gallia: 4
Libya: 1
Mauritania: 1
Syria: 3
Trace: 2
Pannonia/Sirmium: 10
Salona: 1
Africa: 1
Moesia/Dacia: 8
Constantinople: 2
Unknown: 15

Septimius Severus was mixed Roman and Punic (Carthaginian), Macrinus and Aemilianus were Berbers. It's kind of a shame Islam has divided the Mediterranean world when for most of the history it was more or less one giant community.

I Claudius.

The patricians choice.

Up Pompei.

The ADD choice.

Don't tell the BBC there were emperors from North Africa, they'll make a documentary about the "Black Caesars"

youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

But yuropoor we are the new Roman empire

>this is what americans actually believe

RRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>only 10 out of the 76 emperors are from Rome
the point still stands

>poor euros that rely on americans posting garbage on my american website
stop.....

>implying they had flat tops in Ancient Rome

>>modern Italians thinking they have anything to do with Romans
>implying that wasn't the point of the entire episode
>they pride themselves on being "Italian" and their culture
>but once they got over there they are ridiculously out of touch and regarded simply as "Americans" by actual Italians

congratulations you got triggered by a fat gabagool-inhaling garbage mans dreams about plowing a chick he just met

>yuropoors think the Roman Empire fell
>what is the Roman Catholic Church
>America isn't a gigantic pawn under the Church's thumb
>America isn't literal Neo Rome

slavs make me laugh, get back to your mudfarming and your attempts at breaking in the pack of wild dogs three lots over

Thats not the ottoman sultan.