New Aphex Twin track

New Aphex Twin track

youtube.com/watch?v=hUT01p-C2xo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mVb9wHfujc
youtube.com/watch?v=vPw9BxzC8Jg
youtube.com/watch?v=Lgsqp04vP4s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"Aphex Twin's 'Korg Funk 5' was made with Korg synthesisers and includes vocals from James's son."

Not great.

Sounds like generic Aphex. I don't think he's had an original idea in 15 years

He seems to have forgotten that there's more to music than a distorted acid bassline and glitchy drums. Almost every one of his tracks for the longest time have sounded identical.

wow. that's a really long time to go without an original idea.

He should stick to dancing awkwardly on Die Antwoord videos.

quite complex melodies tho
i'm feeling it

what do you think he's missing out on user? do tell

was hoping he would have made some new tunes by now. but all this recent is just outdated sadly

melodies, harmonies, structure, texture, timbre, all these things could go towards making a better song.

:)

it's hard to imagine all of those being absent in his music but hey, I'm not gonna tell you what to think.

i don't think he's had more than 10 original ideas in his whole life

Most artists are lucky if they have 3.

sorry to hear that dove, I was genuinely hoping you would enjoy it. :(

Maybe next time.

:D

listen to his newest ep (the one released at field day) and you'll see that this statement is incorrect

t. guitar player

is acid techno to electronic dance music what dadrock is to rock music?

>we will never get Selected Ambient Works Vol III

Nah, his acid lines and drums are just hackneyed at this point.

i've never heard a track with those patterns in

Listen to more techno

can you rec something similar?

I can see not liking acid lines but his drums on syro are expertly programmed

he said he's already halfway done m8

Anyone who says his stuff is sounding the same needs to listen to this:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mVb9wHfujc

He hasn't even began to peak, his new stuff is going to change the game.

>spend days making creating your own scales
>make afx acid song #235

I don't see how that sounds all that game-changing desu

autotune and trap beats

I seriously doubt 99% of people understand syro

not saying he's free from criticism, but this is just a promotional track that korg asked him to do, of course it's not going to be groundbreaking

The Richard D. James album was trap beats long before trap beats were really a thing. You want him to bring his old style back?

sounds 2012 uk
yawn

>of course it's not going to be groundbreaking
its not good either.

I'm pretty sure that just reinforces the statement.

>The Richard D. James album was trap beats

>it has 808's on it so it's trap
Evidence you are clueless.

This. To me it just sounds like the "post-rave"/"post-jungle"/hardcore continuum that's been popular these past few years.

wow, you seem to follow the all the scenes and their timelines very closely! tell me dove, what current and popular wave of music are you listening to post-2016?

Really not that good. All of his recent music is so unsatisfying to listen to. He will introduce themes but never develop them. At about 1:50 there's this great arabic sounding distorted melody that he does nothing with. It's so frustrating to listen to. He does the exact same thing on Syro which made that album a fucking chore to listen. Rather than give you some actual meat, he presents glitchy drums. Yes they are well produced but for the love of God give me some actual music over the rhythms.

look mate, i'm not saying it's terrible or anything (hell, i enjoy it) but it's just not that groundbreaking like user stated. i'm not some aficionado either - those trends i spoke of are pretty well reported if you even have a cursory knowledge of current electronic music/labels.

i mean, shit, fact writes a bullshit thinkpiece about it every other week lol.

>BoC's latest was derivative downtempo not unlike something you would find for free on Bandcamp
>RDJ lost any sense of experimentation and innovation and just sticks to a safe niche without expanding anywhere further
>Squarepusher went full Daft Punk with gimmicks-over-quality
>Autechre still try out new things and are relatively unique and interesting
How did they do it lads?

Its pretty amazing really. Their old stuff holds up really good as well.

Autechre first and foremost makes music that they find interesting with not a lot of concern for marketability
Also they're not afraid to have a failed experiment every once in a while (Quaristice)

I dont like typing their name so i havent listened to much autochecker can you rec me an album to start on?
I agree with your points

>Quaristice
that album is good idiot

Is it wrong to say Elseq is their best ""album""?

Every Autechre album is good suck my dick
Quaristice is by far their most polarizing and they never tried anything like it again either in terms of sound or in terms of how they released it so categorizing it as a failed experiment is valid

Start with LP5 and then go backwards if you want more traditional and go forwards if you want to get weird
Or just go in order if you're brave

they need to make more songs like this nigga
youtube.com/watch?v=vPw9BxzC8Jg

>this won't take another 20 years
also nice satan

syro level shit

Damn not bad
I've been trying to listen to Quaristice more recently, it's been growing on me a lot
This is my favorite of the bunch rn
youtube.com/watch?v=Lgsqp04vP4s

wow it starts off sounding like Throbbing Gristle and ends sounding like generic drum n bass. Congrats RDJ, you've made it to 1995

Lul Asses Freek another generic shit for elitist faggots without ear training

>not knowing that AFX is a cheeky fuck and a habitual liar about his work, especially in the context of dealing with the public/press/promoting new material

>not realizing he mostly cut that shit out with the soundcloud dump

he hates clueless reporters, not his fans. he answered a lot of people honestly in the comments or pms on soundcloud. I actually talked to him a couple times

Longtime Autechre fan/balding oldfag here. I've also been coming back to Quaristice a lot more lately, after a spate of consuming the other related materials for the first time, some months ago.

The Quaristice cycle "proper", in total, consists of almost 50 tracks and five hours of content. If you like notwo, as I do (It's just about the album's standout), then there's plenty of other dark-ish ambient to be had in the bonus stuff.

There's a really good/thorough list/chart which maps it all out. It's spread out across four or five related releases, or instances of release.

I hadn't been onto this newer stuff as I slightly resent the group's recent trend away from physical media, and especially the absurdity of paying for ephemeral non-media (computer files). I simply haven't listened to Elseq yet, for example, much less the live stuff.

I don't care if it sounds like aphex making the same shit. It's still really nice and has his beautiful melodies that are distinctly his. I love the track.

>The Quaristice cycle "proper", in total, consists of almost 50 tracks and five hours of content
Yeah, that's what I meant when I talked about how they never tried anything that ambitious in terms of releases again. It is very interesting, though. I'll have to check a lot of it out.

>I slightly resent the group's recent trend away from physical media
I definitely agree, but on the other hand I like that it gives them the freedom to kind of do what they want with their music. Hard to imagine Elseq existing if it was restricted by a physical release too.
I definitely recommend grabbing a copy of Elseq off of Soulseek or something and I think it's a great listen but I think I prefer Exai, if I'm being honest.

>Autechre still try out new things and are relatively unique and interesting

Nah, they got stuck after Confield.

They don't even have any other albums that sound like Confield

All the gear, no idea

jesus christ why does he have to shill his son all over the place, he's almost as bad as DJ Khaled

Then you haven't listened anything after Confield.

He doesn't have children. He's not even married.

hes gay

This. It's classic Aphex. Nothing too special but I love it.

Point me to the tracks you think sound like Confield please

Farty synths/10

Character limit wouldn't let me write all their songs after Confield

Feels like sellout material. I can appreciate when the artist works directly on the creation of a synth, but it seems like they made it then had Richie endorse it.

He worked with them on the microtuning capabilities in the monologue and designed presets for it

ITT: people getting mad over a short one-off track AFX made for his friend at Korg

Nobody's mad that he worked with Korg on it, they're mad because it's a shitty track just like most of the stuff he's done since Syro

I wasn't implying they're mad because he worked with Korg. People are acting like this is anything more than a promotional track for the Korg synths, and for what it is it's pretty good.

I agree that he hasn't released anything amazing since Syro but it's far from shitty, especially the Cheetah EP and recent Field Day LP

>they never tried anything that ambitious in terms of releases again
What is Elseq?

good job Richard, my dick is floppy

What is Max wankery with no sense of melody for 4 hours?

>15 years
Even if you don't like the guy this is just plain wrong

Elseq is only 21 tracks total vs. almost 50 and it reuses a lot of ideas

also this

can we talk about aphex twin please

Surely faggot hipsters on Sup Forums aren't so contrarian that they won't allow themselves to appreciate Aphex?

old aphex is good.
new stuff is outdated trash

Lol Aphex sounds so fucking dated now its not even funny. This sounds like Babby's first time in Garage Band. The mastering is shite

wish he would release sone unreleased early techno tracks or somrthing, like for example archponf was set to be releases as part of phlegm ep which ultimately ended up scrapped

the whole soundcloud dump was so much more exciting than his more recent material

>melodies

There were no melodies in that

>This sounds like Babby's first time in Garage Band
wouldn't that make it sound non-dated then

garange band has the worst presets

No the bar has been raised since the 90s. Before being able to make bleeps and bloops at all was like a novel and exclusive thing. Now any asshole can pirate Fruity Loops and do it.

Enjoyed it more on my second listen through desu.

You people need to learn to just enjoy his music and stop expecting him to invent a new genre.

>muh melody

why are you even listening to electronic music? just stick to radiohead

this is the dumbest thing I've seen on Sup Forums in a while

>melody is bad

Who do people pretend RDJ was an innovator? He just happened to release of lot of his music during a time when music production tech was rapidly developing. Now every cunt can pirate a DAW.

>Quaristice
seeing the definition here I guess it's a "failed experiment" but I unironically think it's one of their best albums. It's so individual and creative.
ehhhh Confield tho
nope

>music must have melody
1. no it doesn't need to have melody you fags
2. plenty of elseq has melodies or at least memorable ostinatos

literally nobody said that you stupid fuck