From today, you will need a £145.50 TV license to view iPlayer in the UK

>Previously, iPlayer users only needed a licence if they were using the service to watch live broadcasts.

>That meant it was legal to watch programmes after broadcast on catch-up without paying the annual £145.50 fee.

>But the TV licence requirements have now been extended to include catch-up, online premieres and online-only shows.

>The changes to the rules are expected to particularly affect younger people, who are more likely to consume content on smartphones or tablets than via traditional television sets.

>It is unclear how the new rules will be enforced. Viewers are now prompted to declare if they have a TV licence when they try to watch any content on iPlayer

>"We have a range of enforcement techniques which we will use and these have already allowed us to prosecute people who watch on a range of devices, not just TVs."

>The change comes after the government said it wanted to modernise the current system, so those watching catch-up TV do not get "a free ride".

bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37226030

Now in the UK, you need to pay a yearly fee to watch television, even if you don't actually own a television.

The UK is such a great society!

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2016/08/06/bbc_detector_van_wi_fi_iplayer/
youtube.com/watch?v=HUxJqvPiaYk
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Dando
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Springs_Planned_Parenthood_shooting
youtube.com/watch?v=MRau5ysqrXY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

that's cute. I'm going to just continue ignoring their letters and receiving live broadcasts on my TV as well as using iPlayer every now and then :^)
they don't even know who to address the letters to other than 'occupier', wew

Licencing system is not without it's flaws. However, I do think it is an effective way to fund a public station.

BBC world service is the most rated news service on the planet, free of adverts and sponsors it has an important role to play worldwide. Avoiding these conflicts of interest is a key part of it's charter.

It promotes a certain cultural hegemony too, not just via news reporting but also in the funding of British film and original dramas which it exports across the globe.

Also:
>no adverts

When civilization collapses and the UK finally succumbs to ultimate tyranny and Muslim overpopulation suffocating it, those still left with all their faculties will scratch their heads and ask, "how? How did it all come to this? We, the English, the proud descendants of the greatest empire on Earth, how did we become slaves?"

The answer is inevitably the same, for all. This man. Thomas Hamilton.

You, the British, let yourselves be duped by those in power, who manipulated you like helpless puppets, convincing you that it would be "best to give up your arms" in the wake of the Dunblane Massacre. You, the British, watched like docile cows as they removed your right to defend yourselves from them. Yet, you complain "why, why, why?". Your memory is short. Your chances of reversing your inevitable descent into slavery, even-shorter.

I don't despise you. I don't even laugh at you. I simply pity you. You brought this upon yourselves.

FUCK the English.

>it has an important role to play worldwide
what, like spouting leftie/globalist propaganda?
so much for 'unbiased'

What's wrong with paying for content to watch? Literally nothing.

Good article here from The Register:

theregister.co.uk/2016/08/06/bbc_detector_van_wi_fi_iplayer/

Depressing that "anti-terror laws" are being subverted for use to allegedly spy on home Wi-Fi and TV users.

I say allegedly because, as the article points out, it is absurd to think "detector vans" will actually be deployed for this purpose. Instead revenue will be collected by scaring old women and technologically illiterate pensioners.

Meanwhile people with PCs and iPads will continue to stream regardless and pay nothing

Never used the world 'bias' in my post, because all news outlets have an agenda.

In all honesty I find the BBC quite right-wing with an unwavering support for neoliberalism. Not surprising, considering our current government.

BBC will always attempt to provide a counter argument, however, in the interest of balance.

Jealousy is an ugly emotion user

I don't own a tv or radio

uk tv is garbage and for old people or the dull who need background noise constantly, there is more stuff to do now than their was 10 years ago and its not including the internet, areas have changed and bushiness are comparative

the bbc can fuck off and move them selves to set-top subscription instead of sending me threats every month to give them 150 quid

*businesses
*competitive

It doesn't really matter what they say though, the people who check have basically no power. It's a tax on people who don't know they have the right to say fuck off.

what a load of bullshit, they're utter leftie cucks. they were promoting that Danish """Girl""" film as 'pioneering', even asking the actor who played the tranny if he had questioned his 'gender identity'. disgusting desu

>Now in the UK, you need to pay a yearly fee to watch television
and you still think it is Labour that fucks the little guy

seems like a fair price

you know, the first time I saw posts about a 'television license' I thought it was a meme, what the fuck UK

Top grade propaganda reporting for duty.

youtube.com/watch?v=HUxJqvPiaYk

sky tv top package almost £900 a year
tv license £140 a year
broadband £200 a year

why do I pay this again.

>cultural hegemony
By making shallow, lowest-common denominator shows set in metropolitan areas with non-British people being consistently pushed onto British audiences by the BBC?
That's the opposite of cultural hegemony

>oh you poor black woman
>it's privilege that kept you down
>not the gutted education system
>not the public transport monopoly
>not the bastardised public-private partnership health service
>not the artificially inflated housing market
>not the media telling you to 'aspire' and spend

SJW is not all there is to the left, it's just the vocal minority that lap up the globalist horseshit and spray it all out over the rest of us.

>avoids conflicts of interest with corporate sponsors
>spew left-wing propaganda 24/7 anyway

wew

I'm watching from overseas all I had to do was press the button saying I do have a tv license.

I'll give you that; those shows are cheap to make and contribute fuck all. World services are popular elsewhere on the planet with high viewership count. Not the same tripe we get here; it's typically the flagship dramas.

Would not surprise me at all if it's part of foreign policy, if only to keep up the myth that Brits are eloquent and charming.

>blaming people not even alive during Dunblane for being robbed of self defence
Shut the fuck up you stupid faggot

Enjoy your 2nd amendment being eroded Americans, you think it won't happen to you? Hahahaha, they will keep pushing it until it tips over the majority and they can get rid of guns forever

Germany is forced even if they don't have one

You fool, that action was recorded, and will be used against you in court.
They also have teams of crack IT experts flying around the globe in planes, scanning TVs/monitors, who will have picked you up making that post that both gloated about the shameless way you skirted security processes to illicitly access BBC content, and illustrated steps that others could follow.
The Right Honourable Lord Hall of Birkenhead CBE, Director General of The BBC, is gonna have you over a barrel, and peg you till you sing Songs of Praise.

sorry mum!

What makes the BBC great is that right wingers think it promotes a left wing agenda, and left wingers think it promotes a right wing agenda

Not many other services can do that

wow

>Licensing system is not without it's flaws.
>Immigration is not without it's flaws.
>Vasectomies are not without their flaws.
>Forced donation is not without it's flaws.

Fuck off.

>Licencing
>spelled with a "C"

BBC shill spotted.

>$24USD for broadband internet service
>get literally everything ever filmed ever at the touch of my finger tips.
>for $24USD a month; no data caps, no restrictions

There's nowhere to hide, user.

We've sniffed out all the signals.

are we seeing the death throes of the BBC lads?

And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.

Boy, I really hope this guy's not American.

>Americans
>free

is that including line rental user.

in uk we have to pay BT for line rental.

plus broadband on top.

>even less people will watch BBC shit in the future

That's actually a good outcome.

Hold up, hold up. The TV Licensing board, an unelected body, is changing the rules so that you must pay more than you were, under penalty of law. No one voted for it. No one elected anyone to do it. It just happened.

How the fuck does a civilized country let that happen? I'm serious. No other country on earth lets an unelected private body impose taxation on its population, except for maybe fucking Somalia.

Jesus fuck, Britain.

why did the other tv license thread get 404'd ?????

are we under attack from the newscorps???

>for 200kbps download

people are too dumbed down from watching the television lol.

ignorance is bliss and all that.

YOU ARE FREE TO DO WHAT EVER WE TELL YOU!

Why not just fucking tax the networks, you gob?

It's like 60 years old, I imagine it'd be better back then but since the west is dogshit now, the media follows.

Actually it's fairly commonplace given that the mentally ill Left can never be satisfied.
The only thing unique about this particular media organisation is its pedo rings and hit men.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Dando

How are £145.50 in yank dollars?

Not a single pence of that will go towards the creators of the programming nor iPlayer, only the british government

>wake up
>be britbong
>turn on the telly
>screen comes up blank as I bend over my favorite cuck bench, strapping my arms and legs into my cuck girders.
>big brother Jamal arrives
>my wife swoons out of bed toward him
>her son also wakes up
>Jamal spins me around so that I face him, my wife and her son.
>they proceed to watch the Telly that is ever so slightly just in my field of vision, in my less dominant eye
>my wife blows him as I lightly chuckle to the sound of a poorly delivered joke by an overzealous morning newscaster
>when she's done Jamal comes over and removes £145 from my pantaloon pockets
>log on to Sup Forums
>"L-licensing fees aren't a big deal right lads"
>God save the queen

>Be American
>Literally have a muslim with a tranny wife, in the whitehouse
>Literally only 60% white (including hispanics)
>Literally going to elect a woman this year
>Literally lost every war or conflict we've ever been involved in since WW2 (despite spending more than 70% of our time being in a state of war)
>Literally be the home breeding ground for feminism and SJW shit
>Literally be one of the first countries to have gender and racial quotas
>Literally be the country where you can be arrested for crossing the fucking street (jaywalking)
>Literally be in a country where my mother could be mid-abortion, and still get shot anyway en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Springs_Planned_Parenthood_shooting

>Be American
>Be a walking, talking joke of a country.

W-we've never lost a war! Why do you lie??1?

football and eastenders?

>be britbong
>point out how ebil Murcia is on rawandan grizzly bear themed cakes discussion website
>still be absolutely cucked by America in every way
:'-)

When is this shit getting abolished

im a hollyoaks guy.

Relax, my American friend.

At least you never lost a war to FUCKING BIRDS. Could be worse mate, could be worse.

Pic related. The real masters of Australia. BIG EMU COCKS. LITTLE AUSTRALIAN COCKS.

>>still be absolutely cucked by America in every way

>A 60% "white" country is trying to tell a 90% white country it is cucked

>Be American
>Be literally surrounded by feral niggers 24/7
>Tell people surrounded by whites they are cucked

ok m8 lol

It's ad free but is still biased as fuck.

At least with sponsorship money we can see what is funding this shilling. At the moment its back room deals that fund the shilling.

adverts on the bbc fucking when.

You have to be 21 or over if you wanna drink alcohol in your country. You are not free.

Not sure what you're getting at. The licence is how the BBC is funded and as per the charter it must provide a non-commercial broadcast service, ie no advertisments, product placement, sponsorships ect.

Other networks are taxed as any other company is.

Not sure what this tax you are proposing is.

>£145.50 in yank dollars
Probably around $145.50

You are correct and I don't have a satisfying solution.

It seems on the face of it that by providing an uninterrupted and reliable revenue and outlining a clear mission statement, then the conflict of interests would go away and we might see a free press. Didn't exactly last long when you have a protectionist culture at the top levels.

I'd disagree that paid sponsorship is more transparent, however. It is all to easy to hide your intentions with enough money and a flashy charity website.

I'd be curious if there are other means of funding broadcasters. How does PBS work in the States? Is that an example of sponsorship?

>it must provide a non-commercial broadcast service, ie no advertisments, product placement, sponsorships ect.

If you really want a public broadcasting channel, and you only want people who watch TV to pay for it, tax companies like Sky for each new subscriber. They pay a set price per capita, and unless your tax laws are shit you'll make more money than if you tried to chase down everyone who doesn't have a TV license.

At the very least you'd cut down on expenses making Orwellian posters threatening people with prison time for watching Peep Show on their laptops.

>Drinking the alcoholic jew

That's actually a solid idea. TV licencing is a throwback to the days of two channels and analogue transmission.

As it stands with our current cosy to Murdoch government, I doubt this would gain much traction. Even if the costs were invariably passed on to the end user.

>britbetas LITERALLY need a license to watch TV and now shows in their computer

Fucking lmao, how cucked can you Muslims be? I'll have my large order of freedom any day.

more like a large order of big black cock

>Radio 6 on my commute

Honestly worth £150/year

>"We have a range of enforcement techniques which we will use and these have already allowed us to prosecute people who watch on a range of devices, not just TVs."

Science fiction.

it's all a big meme, they don't have shit.

If they had this shit in the 70s - youtube.com/watch?v=MRau5ysqrXY

Can you imagine the sort of shit they have now?

lmao, literal scare tactics.

When it first started they claimed to have vans on every street

They had 6

5 of them were in London

They were empty transit vans

Seriously, does anyone actually fall for this shit?