Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio:
mega.nz/#!dNtARY5Q!bfm7xOeRcRilrs3qkP-DAFUUKBW4DEcGQ_IR_PWkYo0
Mixing Engineers Handbook:
mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz
mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU

Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle
mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/e1pv1cxu
clyp.it/tkt0dl1k
image-line.com/content/by/FPC
youtube.com/watch?v=qGnpPdMK01U&t=0s
clyp.it/5wtm3iyw
youtube.com/watch?v=hUT01p-C2xo
clyp.it/nir5oelm
clyp.it/pqhcgst1
clyp.it/sfsd2fsn
clyp.it/22olf4s2
clyp.it/pjhbuphl
clyp.it/i1tcci22
clyp.it/y5msoun5
vis.versilstudios.net/vsco-community.html
clyp.it/1sr1pmor
clyp.it/f5cshjwy
clyp.it/ftyywc25
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

clyp.it/e1pv1cxu

could I get some honest feedback on this

are open or closed back headphones better for producing and mixing?

Really into how sparse and spacious some of your sound design is - 0:25 to 0:45 is brilliant

Discordance at 2:09 is noticeable with string synth- possibly intentional?

I'm really into the haunting LFO creeping lead synth you've got. Also from 5:30 onwards your snare "click" is really nice with that short reverb.

Just looking through some stuff I'm wondering whether to go back to and work on, any feedback would be cool;

clyp.it/tkt0dl1k

using old organ/guitar/trem pedal.
Vox a bit rough.

Open, but really you need speakers, at least initially. A lot of engineers will listen on Apple earbuds after they've done the initial mix/master to make sure it sounds okay on those too, but that's definitely a later step.

Any tips for getting an MBV-like guitar tone using only Logic? I like the built-in effects, but I can never quite find the tone I'm looking for

there's a plugin in the Amps and Pedals section on the effects menu called Pedalboard

there's a whole range of effects you can try there, sounds like you might already be familiar with it though...?

if you are, try messing around with the space designer for just the right reverb setting. there's also a bitcrusher and various other distortion tools in the distortion menu.

Yeah I've played with those a ton, I just can't quite dial in the massive sound I want. Thanks though!

Does anyone have this downloaded and willing to share? image-line.com/content/by/FPC

>120 kits
>3364 samples

"FPC or Fruity Pad Controller is included in FL Studio Producer Edition and up. Download 120 Free kits made up of 3364 samples. A registered FL Studio Producer, Signature or FL Studio + ALL Plugin Bundle program is required "

I wanna have some fun with my MPD but i am not a registered FL customer. If someone could upload this that would be sick

I was thinking more the komplete control keyboards, couldn't remember the name here is from the website:
>KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series keyboards include KOMPLETE 11 SELECT – a premium instrument and effect package worth £850.00 when purchased separately. Includes MASSIVE, REAKTOR PRISM, MONARK, RETRO MACHINES, THE GENTLEMAN, VINTAGE ORGANS, SCARBEE MARK I, WEST AFRICA, DRUMLAB, SOLID BUS COMP, REPLIKA.

Or like the other user said get a nord

Why are there never links to previous threads?

it's to intentionally piss *you* off in particular, and no other reason

I'm glad the council of anons could work in coordination at least this once

I need recommendations for a decent pair of studio reference headphones under 350.

I was recommended pic related. Are they worth it?

Hey I posted this on the last thread but it go archived before I could get any reply's how did you guys come up with your artist name?

anything with sony v6/mdr drivers are good, youll find those in almost any studio.

7506 are only $100

A series of shitty ops

Are you that same faggot from last thread jfc

Follow your hear faggot

my heart says nothing, thats why i'm asking here

wikipedia random article

This is like asking where inspiration comes from; it just has to come to you. I have a list of band names on my phone and I'll add to that list anytime a good one comes up in the heat of a conversation, while watching a movie, etc.

yea, your right user thanks for the advice, hope I find something soon that fits

youtube.com/watch?v=qGnpPdMK01U&t=0s

yo how the fuck do I make this lead synth help a goy out!

weird spellcheck corrections are another good source I've found

So I'm working on remaking this unfinished song using NASA samples from a few months ago. This is an old demo, and I'm probably going to start from scratch.

I already know the levels between sections is inconsistent and I'm probably going to replace the sample during the bridge. I'm going to extend the hip-hop section, and add another section after that then bookend the song. General thoughts on the form? This is more of a through-composed track, but is there anything I should add/change?

clyp.it/5wtm3iyw

thats your name
"Follow your heart faggot"
FYHF

How do I get started in sampling and mashups? Do I need a lot of crazy software or can I use something like audacity ?

How do I get this percussive acidy sound similar to the sounds in this track? youtube.com/watch?v=hUT01p-C2xo

Worked on my little guitar + drum choon from the other day lads. Thinking of adding a solo to it.

Uh.
clyp.it/nir5oelm

huh, im not sure what youre going for with that hip hop section but it feels entirely out of place and i was not expecting those drums at all. id also think about another patch at 1:01 or atleast cut some of that glistening in the high frequencies, it's a bit too prevalent. the arrangement itself kinda seems mashed together, the separate parts just feel like that, parts, not sections of a bigger thing. they dont really compliment each other and could each be entirely separate songs. take that advice however you like.
ay thats nice, a solo would definitely make it a bit more interesting. also those drums sound a bit sterile. almost like a last second decision. you do any mixing/processing on them?
something ive started working on. would like some feedback on the overall arrangement, does it move too formulaic? (4 bars of something then 4 bars of something new, repeat ad nauseam) also how do the drums sound? particularly snare and kick (protip: yes its supposed to sound "lo-fi")
clyp.it/pqhcgst1

>percussive acidy

lp or bp filter short decay little sustain

standard acid sound

Guitars are recorded through a clean channel then fed through a fuzz pedal usually. Any additional effects is added through ableton and the clips are edited a bit so that everything is in time. I'm not very good at mixing but I try to make an attempt at it.

this sounds worse than yesterday and you didn't take my advice to unfizz the guitars -___________________________________________________-

okay i'm positive somebody answered you about sampling a shitty flute and you're trolling us with these questions WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT YOU FUCKER

no troll just wanted a better answer desu I did try a ton of flutes

Didn't know what you meant by fizz 2bh

here

high frequency content

sounds v bad

low pass + deep cuts between 1-4k are typical

Anyone have any tips for making noise?

Don't. lmao.

i dont really know what im doing, but some feedback and advice would be sick

clyp.it/sfsd2fsn

let this boy cook god damn

anyone still here?

clyp.it/22olf4s2

i make beats for soundclout rappers
clyp.it/pjhbuphl

hard as nails

>Producer Edition
just buy it faggot its only 200 dollars

>clyp.it/sfsd2fsn
Your idea should be a little clearer, but this sounds good. Remember, sometimes less is more.

some house music
clyp.it/i1tcci22

also does anyone have an opinion on these speakers? i want to set them up and use them as a secondary reference system for mixing.

is no-one going to go through every clyp and roast them one by one? I swear that happens in every prod thread

has the potential to turn into something pretty great, you've got a nice vibe here

put more dynamic variation into your drums, the snare is sounding especially rigid

I don't really like the synth towards the end, feels like you could pick something more unique

too many shitty clyps. i will only click on them if the user leaves some sort of description or posts a question related to their work.

for what it is, there's nothing wrong with this really. something like this allows the rapper to completely carry the track, which is fine. my issue with this is that it doesn't work as a standalone track and nobody in their right mind would want to listen to it on it's own. why not add a cool unheard-of synth or do something no producer has ever really done before? that's what Rojas and Duval did on Look At Me, they just fucking clipped and limited the beat massively, and it was a success because no-one had done that before and it sparked all sorts of copycats

well now that I've brought it up someone will inevitably do it anyway

Thoughts on this?

clyp.it/y5msoun5

spent most of my morning on it, not sure how it sounds anymore

can't really make out the vocal sample, try EQing it differently or removing some of the reverb effect

the sound at 0:45 isn't working for me, sounds unprocessed. I like the melody it creates though, so maybe keep that but just change the sound

kick sounds like it has no impact. I'd bring it up.

I like that clap sample

needs a more structure but this seems like a WIP anyway

thanks for the input. im still composing and coming up with arrangement ideas. im thinking of using the wubby bass part with the modulation sweep at the beginning and then using another patch for the latter part.

I'm sort of confused by that pitch shifted melody line, it's a good idea on paper but it sounds pretty nonsensical

the sound coming in at 1:11 sounds a bit ringtoney

intro sort of reminds me of bibio, which I guess is good

sounds like you're going for some kind of aphex twin-like IDM thing? it sounds quite rigid and I'd like it to make a bit more sense, I don't think I could bear to listen to this for more than a few minutes but then I'm not your average AFX fan.

sorry, I just can't derive pleasure from that atonal melody line.

Ha I'm not sure I understand this

This is really fucking good. It kinda reminds me of massive attack but more experimentally electronic. I can't beat on this cause im really diggin it. Its got a kind of chill downtempo vibe to it.

is anyone here using an ultrabook (anything with an intel U-series processor) as their portable production machine? I need to pick something up by the end of the year and would ideally like to keep it at 13 inches, but i'm a little concerned about CPU headroom on the intel 2-cores.

Anyone know of any decent, free orchestra samples? I'm not looking to do anything super serious, I just want to get better at composing and mixing. I used to use Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra but is there anything better available now?

My vacation project, not quite sure if it actually sounds good or I've drank too much whisky. Open to any and all suggestions, rip me a new one or be constructive idgaf I appreciate it all, I just want to make dope shit.

it's been 5 minutes and you still haven't realised that you haven't posted a link - you've drank too much.

Kontakt 5 has some hq orchestral libraries theyre just expensive, though you can find some for free that are pretty decent. Also if you dont want to fork up 300 for a library you may or may not use tpb and audioz have pretty much everything you need.

vis.versilstudios.net/vsco-community.html This. once you get it set up it's probably the best free (royalty free too) orchestra pack out there. I used it in parts of this.

Btw, can i get some honest feedback?

clyp.it/1sr1pmor

I downloaded the Virtual Playing Orchestra which takes samples from that and a few other libraries, it'll probably be good enough for my needs.

your mix is relatively clean, i do have a couple of issues with it tho:
1. why are you pulling back on the bass after that initial section? it feels like it should come back in at initial levels when the solo kicks in (1:07ish)

2. not so much an issue outside of headphones, but there's a bit of frequency imbalance where the left feels 'heavier' than the right. it's there for the whole track, but the bass levels getting lower after the intro makes it more apparent. if it doesn't bother you, and it won't bother most people i imagine, you can ignore this - it's just a pet peeve.

hahaha probably so didnt even notice that, I went with the poor mans JD, Evan Williams. But after attempting to remeber my clypit password for 15 minutes I just made a new account. I managed to get a bit of sober work in so hopefully its worth the listen

clyp.it/f5cshjwy

thank you! i thought i was going crazy, but it really is dropping. i think it's due to the compressor kicking in, because there are less instruments in the beginning, so not as much ducking going on

the frequency imbalance is due to my panning, which isn't done with professional insight, i just do whatever i need to do to gets things out of the way lol. i'll try to fix that

I tried to take you up on the melody but I didn't manage to make it sound better and less 'atonal t b h
As for the rigidness - I get what you mean.

no one has any feedback/criticism? i guess it's just that bad lol

the panning is a relatively easy fix. here's a couple of ideas you can try:
1. identify the element on the left channel with mid-bass and see if you can roll it off the bass a little without compromising the sound very much.
2. if you've got a dedicated reverb or delay return for that lead you can do a cheeky pan to right (nothing crazy) on just the send. that way you lead stays centered, but the mix retains balance.
3. if you're layering the hi-hats (e.g. basic, left - right layer to add some width) you could shift one of those tracks further to the right.

i find that most of the time, you don't necessarily have to balance out low-mid with, low-mids when you've got a panning imbalance like that.

also, i'll restate that it is very minor, and you bringing the bass back up should be fine for 90% of listeners.

I like this - you're nailing the lo-fi sound. can't really fault it aside from the fact that I'd like you to develop it into a full song.

Thanks man appreciate it, will do.

Where do I start with FL Studio?
Which tutorials would you guys recommend?
What is essential knowledge about producing?

Here's a shitty beat I made in FL studio. Looking for feedback regarding everything, mixing, songwriting etc.

clyp.it/ftyywc25

I went to sleep sorry...

/prod/ has been so slow and I've been sad sorry. Normally I would go though every one without a reply at least...

I'm about to record vocals for the first time. What should I know? Should I stay away from windows? Record in a small studio-like place? Where do you home studio people go to get the best sound quality?

>"uhh why arent you using pro tools user?"

Yesterday i asked in the old thread about workstation recommendation because i wanted to be able to play piano again but also synth stuff, as well as produce my own stuff. One of the replies was following which i didnt understand until today when I read it again after I came up with this solution my own (newbie in this field)
>regarding workstation vs controller+computer
>If you want more accoustic sounding stuff (pianos, xylophones, violins, orchestral, etc) go with a workstation or electric piano. VSTs on a computer can do that stuff too, but relies on gigs of samples and tons of processing power, effectively taking away the versatility of DAW you'd be using on the same machine. Its better to just have a dedicated keyboard for that stuff that way nothing gets bogged down on your computer.

How strong would a computer have to be to do this AND use DAW at the same time? Using a notebook with i5-4210U 1.70GHz up to 2.70 GHz, 8 GB RAM, SSD... Could use another but older PC seperately (AMD with 2x3GHz, 4GB Ram, HDD, Dedicated GPU if thats even of interest in this field)

I like this idea because it seems so versatile with exchangeable keyboards (eg a full weighted hammer action 88, a synth...), extra equipment, huge range of useable sounds on a computer which are probably easier to import etc.

The Midclass workstations (MOXF8, FA-08, Krome) seem to have not that great of piano keys, especially the Krome, and the interface of all keyboards without touchscreen look kind of a hassle to work with. Not to mention that Montage 8 and Kronos 88 are to expensive, the Montage doesnt seem to be that greate anyways in comparison with others.(?)

Budget is basicly up to 2000 Euro.

I've used a lot different spaces to varying results, Sound on Sound has some good tips- but as a really simple thing that makes a noticeable difference:
Hang a duvet from a room divider or anything big, behind the microphone.

Do you have a good mic and a pop screen?
Record about a fist away.

U. Dictionaried the term and I think it means you like it (ha ha ) - in which case thanks man

for the cost of a workstation with decent sounds and a computer that can run a daw, you could probably just get a computer that would be high enough spec to not bog down and grab a controller with the rest

thats just what I thought as well.
I allready got near field monitor and an good audiointerface would be cool to have anyways, what else would i need?
And HOW strong should such a PC be?
Which 88 key controllers are the best overall and in having a piano like feeling?

I have a usb microphone and no pop filter for right now.

Cool. Don't get TOO caught up on people saying you need more to buy more shit.
Duvet + good melodies and recording + decent mic + decent compression and editing after and a good vocal will still shine through.
Good quality mic Is the next step though !

I have a Privia Casio keybaord and its good with vsts. Supposedly heavy weighted keys but still not close to a piano action, affordable

i dont really know how the big names stack up these days for midi keyboards, but i bought an old used roland piano with midi out and i've been happy with it ever since.

as for pc specs, probably a quad core that's upwards of 3 ghz and 8-16gb of ram. you mentioned graphics in your last post but they don't really factor into it, daw's and vsts are pretty low-intensity stuff in that regard

The specs you mentioned should be fine, hell, you can use a laptop from 5 years ago and be fine. But the reality is VSTs with massive sample libraries can bog down any computer, they can eat up considerably more RAM and CPU than non sample based VSTs. This will inherently take away Ram and CPU from your DAW, and there will be a noticeable difference from how your DAW operates with and without a huge VST rompler in use.

I'd suggest going the PC route, but getting a used workstation or performance keyboard to use as a midi controller. That way you will get the real acoustic sounds you want with no latency, and without impacting your DAWs performance. Plus you will get the premium keybed you are after.

you can find these