NYC 1977 BLACKOUT THREAD

NYC 1977 BLACKOUT THREAD

40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

who else finds this shit fascinating?

It was well before my time, but between reading about it and hearing firsthand stories, it always struck me as something riveting on many levels. One of those things that was probably terrifying at the time, but you still envy that you didn’t get to experience it in hindsight. But only in hindsight. Between the mayhem of the looting and the paranoia already at that time surrounding the Son of Sam murders, a heatwave, a sluggish economy and a police strike, there was no way to know what was going to go down.
In little more than 24 hours — the blackout lasted from 9:34 p.m. on July 13 to 10:39 p.m. on July 14 — 1,000 fires were reported, 1,600 stores were damaged in looting and rioting and 3,700 people were arrested. Neighborhoods from East Harlem to Bushwick were devastated. The authorities later estimated that the total cost of the blackout exceeded $300 million. (Source - X)
There was no internet, only battery-powered radios and some phones.

Thanks to youtube, we can go back to that time and see all kinds of angles.
PBS (first chapter of documentary) of “orgy of violence, arson and insantiy”
youtube.com/watch?v=aIaQ-emC9Pc
(full documentary here: pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/blackout/)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ts85TH-jaD4
youtube.com/watch?v=GulUxvKn3ZM
youtube.com/watch?v=A7tq9IrZLkY
youtube.com/watch?v=wX7Fl1qE6Lk
youtube.com/watch?v=wuimLRcyfAI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2BRLh0YVg
bkmag.com/2016/04/04/44542/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they thanks, will watch

I liked that PBS doc.

Shit like this always fascinates me too, seeing like the polar extremes of human nature all motivated by the same occurrence.

I was on LI during sandy and heard about guns being pulled on people at gas stations near where I was and all I really wanted to do was go check out the carnage. It was surreal and I loved it. 10/10 would def do again.

pic related.

Can bump with mas OC

Cheap technology. Hot. Niggers. A psycho.

>implying you wouldnt be a white person trying to get laid, rather than someone trying to get free shit

>There was no internet, only battery-powered radios and some phones.
Phones worked just fine. Phones driven by POTS lines (Plain Old Telephone System) don't go down when the electric goes off. The telephone company supplies the power, and the central offices all run on their own generator (and before that, actually batteries filling the basement of the central office).

One of the reasons, to this day, that I tell people when the shit hits the fan, don't rely on cell phones.

But yeah, it was pretty cool. I was around 11 years old, not in NYC but close enough to hear about it. Being on Long Island, I wasn't affected.

Mini-documentary about the inner-city experience that night. Interestingly, the looting might have directly enabled some people to become DJ’s soon thereafter:

Radio’s FM home of Rock and Roll kept chugging on:
youtube.com/watch?v=GulUxvKn3ZM

What live radio sounded like that night:
youtube.com/watch?v=A7tq9IrZLkY
Local news that night:
youtube.com/watch?v=wX7Fl1qE6Lk
sports coverage that night:
youtube.com/watch?v=wuimLRcyfAI

justifying stealing

I lived in one of the hardest-hit NJ towns by sandy. Lost power for 10 days, but I know others had it worse.

I was without power for like 5 days? we lost it again the next week after that goddamn snow storm too. Fuckin frozen sewage is lovely.

What's so fascinating? just a bunch of niggers doing what they always do in a crisis.

is Long Island not part of NYC?

.. yurofart here btw

long island is a suburban area that technically does include brooklyn and queens (and hundreds of square miles beyond that).

it's not the same as NYC proper, although brooklyn and queens are.

hmm.. sounds complicated.

LI isn't part of NYC/5 Boroughs. It's Nassau and Suffolk counties, which are their own respective locations apart from the city.

the pbs documentary features the perspective of the people dining at Windows on the World.

white people really had a great time that night. singalongs and shit.

ah, ok.. makes sense.

The 70's and early 80's NYC, except for the high-end burrows, were shit holes. Poverty, crime, niggers. They started the "clean up" in the mid eighties. More police presence. Shipping out homeless. Locking up many niggers. When Gulianni became mayor, they turned Times Square into Disney world. Raised all the rents. Nigh, poor were forced to move. Still problems like any big city, but are limited.

true. the rents are so high that in any good neighborhood, the police know exactly where the troublemakers are likely to be concentrated. of course, those troublemakers come from all kinds of ethnic backgrounds now.

Honestly nassau might as well be part of the city at this point. Its basically indistinguishable from queens.

Sandy was pretty neato though aside from not having power for a few days. Really was an eye opener for how thin the veneer is on civilized society with the whole gas shortage thing. Heard the same thing about people pulling guns over gas during that bullshit. People lining up for literal hours to put 1/8th of gas in their car, just straight up hoarding for no reason other than fear. Gas stations near me were based, they would straight up refuse to give you gas if you had over a half tank regardless of your bullshit. Really cut down on the mobs of irrate soccermoms willing to fuck everyone else over because of their strong me-mentality. I even saw people line up for literally all day with their cars outside a gas station because their was a rumor gas would arrive soon there - the guy working the gas station said he had no fucking clue what they were talking about or why people lined up and even told people to fuck off yet they were so desperate over nothing they kept lining up anyways. Hilarious and scary.

I know several people who began to keep more supplies in their home and became 1st time gunowners because of that shit. We lose power for a week and people start getting ready to kill eachother. Just imagine a month with no power. Or having it be nationwide instead of local. Fucking nightmare man.

don't forget Roe vs. Wade, the legalization of asbortion implemented in 1973, coinciding with a drastic drop in crime in the early 90's -just when all the never-born juvenile delinquents whould've come of age.

really nipples yer nibble, eh.

it's true, abortion directly acts as a check on crime statistics. no one likes admitting that.

1977 nigger: "I's gonna get me one of dem color tv's aight."

>no one likes admitting that
yeah, there's an eerie, grim kinda poetry to it that even pro-choicers don't much fancy.

>Hilarious and scary.
Yeah the gas mob was around my block and down some side street for about 24 hours after I got back to LI. It was very frightening at times, cause I use that gas station for like gum and blunts and shit and weeding through 100 angry ass hempstead baby momma's isnt exactly pleasant. But it was PREMIUM people watching cause all we had was weed/booze and no cable.

Got to call a Nassau County cop a cunt to his face for saying I couldn't walk my dog on my block. He wasn't happy, but nothing became of it.

Right. Why the conservative republicans need to keep planned parenthood open, and even expanded.

I seem to remember that 9 months after there was a big spike in births in the area too

is there really a racial element to this?

nah, prolly more a poverty issue, unless you ask Sup Forums then of course the jews knocked the power and the niggers nigged and Soros funded the whole thing.

Its been documented that this occurs during any sort of blackout, blizzard, etc. Whenever people lose their tv or other forms of entertainment, they just fuck like animals because its fun. Naturally the increased amount of fucking going on leads to an increased number of babies born down the line.

if there were a blackout and i lived in the city, i would absolutely be relaxed and sprint to a bar t try to meet women

Aside from the clothes and no phones, these nigs could be from 2017. Decade after decade. Nigs still nigging.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2BRLh0YVg

>30:51

what would u do if there was a blackout ?

Kill as many niggers and shit skins that I could before the lights came back on

lol Sup Forums.. you'd barricade yourself in your basement, clutching your pillow waifu.

help bump this

'av a båmph m8

I've been in NYC for 10 years...I remember when sandy hit NYC...I lived in Brooklyn and shit was blackout for a few days. The city definitely gained back an edge it usually didn't have, especially because anyone posh fled the city. I walked into lower east side one night and the city was like a big underground party. Bars open by candlelight and crazy stuff all night. Made me think how interesting things must have been before Giuliani killed new York and Bloomberg buried it.

Sounds like you experienced the best case scenario

>Made me think how interesting things must have been before Giuliani killed new York and Bloomberg buried it.
well.. depends where in NY, I guess. South Bronx was a third world war zone. There's tons of films on youtube from NY back in the day, giving you a picture of the grit and the grime of the 70's, 80's and early 90's.

A lot of people did...sure people in fidi and redhook were fucked but most were ok

Yea of course the Bronx sucked, it still does but not as dangerous. There was a balance, and we've gone past it the opposite way.

People wanted the poor, minority's, and crime gone. The dems weren't doing shit.

back in the day, even Lower Eastside was dangerous, even Brooklyn and Williamsburg were crime ridden shitholes.

>The dems weren't doing shit
the dems tried to help them, the GOP just wanted them gone and implemented Broken Window Policy and raised the rents. That, and Roe vs. Wade rid the city of it's poor.

I read that the blackoit is partly responsible for the hip hop revolution. So much music equipment was stolen during the riots it made it feasible for poor people with talent to make their music.

Yep, aware, the "safe" places to go were less in number but people still went places like alphabet city. You just had to be a little braver and be looking for something

thats what this video is about.

It has nothing to do with political parties. Dinkins and Koch before him were super tough on crime. Giuliani just happened to be at the wheel when economics changed and ri her whiter people began coming back to cities.

And drug money, crime, gangs...niggers.

>Giuliani just happened to be at the wheel when economics changed and ri her whiter people began coming back to cities
this, and (as I've said before) Roe vs Wade.

>NYC 1977 BLACKOUT
I was there. People were wondering if the Son of Sam did it.

Yep I hear you. We have some 12 yo with a computer in this thread who thinks the more he says nigger the more it proves his point

Williamsburg, the hippest and coolest and one of the most expensive parts of NYC.. in 1984:

bkmag.com/2016/04/04/44542/

I was 9y/o then, fucking bringer of perspective.

Pretty sure drug money was still going to be flowing regardless of the blackout idiot. Did everybody stop selling drugs once the power came back on?

>We have some 12 yo with a computer in this thread who thinks the more he says nigger the more it proves his point
the definition of the retarded language known as Sup Forumsish

Nigs gonna nog

always have, always will, nothing more than sub human filth we can do without

sure kid

Really? Interesting...

perhaps the result of jewish real estate owners renting to hispanics until they were able to attract hipster demos to gentrify.

sure nig.

Was referring to where the money came from for hip-hop start up.

"Jewish Lightning" was a meme even back then, though it's true that landlords did torch their buildings in the Bronx, only few of them were kikes. NYC got gentrified because rent laws were liberalized at the same rate as the new generation of would be criminals were being aborted and the city cracked down hard on urban blight and decay.

fucking hebrews had nothing to do with it, stale meme is stale.

nure shig