Arrival

7 reviews in from Venice, 100% fresh. Fuck.

What will be the MOTY, Arrival or LaLa Land?

>A high-stakes, hard sci-fi action film.
thefilmstage.com/reviews/venice-review-arrival/

>Anchored by an internalized performance from Amy Adams rich in emotional depth, this is a grownup sci-fi drama that sustains fear and tension while striking affecting chords on love and loss.
hollywoodreporter.com/review/amy-adams-arrival-venice-review-924941

rottentomatoes.com/m/arrival_2016/reviews/

>From the director of Prisoners

The most IMDB sensibility film made so far. Anybody who thinks that Prisoners is above mediocre is juvenile about the medium and entirely emblematic of the video game crossposter fueled downfall of this board.

Villeneuve is one of the biggest trashmasters working today. This is hot pocket the movie. Cheeto dust: the flick.

IMDB "FILM BUFF" pleb fodder. If you like this film then you are an enemy of the medium.

>MUH BASED JAKE
>MUH BASED DEAKINS
>MUH DARK THRILLER
>MUH RELIGIOUS SYMBOLISM

All the memes are there

Hello there reddit.

>He doesn't appreciate well-crafted and original genre work

hola reddit

LaLand and Arrival will be completely different movies.

>Dark sci-fi aliens land on earth movie
VS
>Musical about actors in Los Angeles

Apples and oranges, my man. Apples and oranges....

I'm super excited for both, though! Haha :)

>He didn't see Sicario I guess

(you)

100% correct. prisoners is THE example of inauthentic sensibility cinema. It doesn't get more juvenile "film buff" than this movie. everything from the casting, to the themes, to the cinematography. it physically pains me to even think about it. fincher was always the epitome of IMDB to me until this movie, but then villenvue managed to topple him.

>Every 2016 sci-fi movies so far are 2/10 at best
>A 5/10 flick is released
>Voted the MOTY

I actually got excited for it when I saw that Bradford Young was going to do the cinematography. He's great.

>5/10
You haven't seen this yet, so where are you getting your information?
>Maybe from IMDB?
I checked IMDB, it's 8.6

So did you pull the 5/10 from out of your ass?

>you actually think like this

Reddit absolutely loves Villeneuve and is a big part of why he has a "plebtrician" reputation

>Amy Adams will never give you a rusty trombone and then cook you dinner
why live?

>propaganda that targets you as the bad guy if you don't give everything to """migrants""" (illegals)
>100% fresh
colour me surprised

I haven't seen Prisoners, but Sicario was a compelling film I enjoyed.

Don't forget he's directing Blade Runner 2, a lot of pressure rests on him. Still better than Ridley Scott who seems washed up.

Sup Forums has rotted your brain

So you're from Reddit (hence knowing that) and come here to post your contrarian opinions. We have plenty of those though, so feel free to go back.

he's just stating facts, triggerwhale

Presumably threatening force on an alien species with technology capable of inter-galactic travel isn't a good idea...

>Sup Forums struggling to be relevant in conversations where they ain't

Sounds like is the one that went out of their way to be triggered. "How does this offend or victimize me?"

It's not a contrarian opinion, it's a measurement of public consensus.

I'm not "from" reddit, I've been on Sup Forums long before I started visiting reddit, but yes I use multiple forms of social media because I'm not an insecure child who ties his identity to whatever forum he frequents.

>Contact (2016) or Birdman (2016)

Both are shit.

If there was any kind of nuance it wouldn't be propaganda you retard. The simple fact you have to go out of you way to call out on Sup Forums shows how effective it is on you.

It's like making a movie about mexican cartels distributing flowers to kids and the police being trigger happy and evul (here russians and japs, surely a coincidence right?)

It's literally a flying grey banana

>posted as I jerk off to BvS for the second time today

Bootlicking faggot neck yourself

And yet you used the term "IMDb" and all but namedropped Sup Forums as insults which is exactly the same sort of tribalism, hypocrite.

Sicario was a good movie and if you're judging the movie before you see it then you're part of the problem.

So is the movie about God and how even aliens believe in him or something?

The aliens in this movie are here to bring drugs?

Which god? Your goy--er, gentile-bait one? You wish.

I'm not this guy

I'm just saying it makes 0 sense to characterize his argument as "lel reddit", when reddit loves both prisoners and Villeneuve.

I've already watched Sicario and think it's a pretty good action movie.

Will flop. Screencap this.

>completely missing the point
okay, I'll explain point by point

1. aliens are portrayed as good guys
2. russians/japs are doing an unjustified agression (they the BAD guys)

in reality the roles are swapped.
The illegals are stealing, raping etc, they're objectively bad guys. But officially you start hearing excuses like it's their culture so you have to accept it.

This movies practically explicitly targets the countries that still have the "balls" to DEFEND themselves as the bad guys. That's called propaganda.

and don't answer
>b-but they're aliens, not illegals

Just so you anons know, I read the short story and this is a very spoilerable movie.

THIS IS A VERY EASY TO SPOIL MOVIE AND Sup Forums WILL MORE THAN LIKELY SPOIL IT

i'm hyped everyone

we need more cerebral sci-fi and less space opera

Are you implying they both don't pander to the same pleb imdb movie buff taste?

Drugs were just an example. The aliens are here to do bad things, be it rape, theft, drugs, you name it? You're the one asserting they're analogues for rapacious illegals, so show your work. What harm to the aliens intend to do?

Looks like it could be happening between this, Blade Runner 2, Ex Machina and the spiritual big budget Ex Machina followup Annihilation

I'm willing to bet my life on the fact that someone read your post and immediately went and read the short story just so he could fuck up future threads like these for the rest of us.

>responding to copypasta

Also I hope based Villeneuve does it different from the short story. It was terrible.

Well, here it is.

You're probably right but the spoilers are out there if the movie has been seen.

Plus the story is only like 20 pages.

Its based on the short story "The Story of Your Life" and its central theme is the question about whether or not free will exists.

Basically, because of the way the aliens think and write, they are able to percieve any event at any point in time, which technically shows that there is no such thing as free will, because there is only ever once decision you can possibly make. Everything that has or will happen can be expressed in their writing.

The lead character manages to completely understand their writing and the book shows her attempts to learn the alien language in flashbacks, which in the end allows her to learn she will have a daughter who dies.

>Bradford Young
instant 10/10

>You're the one asserting they're analogues for rapacious illegals
yes
>What harm to the aliens intend to do?
Holy shit, what about history you fucking cuck? What about what happens EVERY fucking day? Get out of your hugbox and pop that bubble surrounding it.

No. BvS makes prisoners look like The maltese falcon

The history of alien invasions? Nice shitposting bro, had me going there for a minute.

"muh capeshit" is what Villeneuve fedorians love best. They can't handle real emotions or sincerity so they flock to ironic "fun" crap like Army of Darkness, Pacific Rim and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. Anything more than juvenile "fun" is too "2deep4u hipster shit". It's "fun" shit and superficially meaningful "dark" movies that get the most fedora attention.

They'll watch Prisoners for what they think is their intellectual main course and then wash it out with something like Batman and superman for desert. Before settling into a night of video games.

3 posts later and you still can't grasp the most basic concepts of propaganda. You gotta check for those ASDs man.
inb4
>I was just pretending to be retarded.

Mama mia!

It's not effective propaganda if the aliens don't actually turn out to be an analogue for horny mudslimes. It's not propaganda at all if they aren't intended to.

Doubt it is that good or interesting. Villeneuve has only made dumb or bad films his entire career.

Of course same critics that praise Marvel shit (RT) would be glamored by his films though

Truly the most overrated director in recent years, Sicario was absolute shit and pretty much a Sup Forums fan fic.

You've just described Todd Gaines on Letterboxd

He went from ripping off Nolan and Lynch to just letting Deakins shoot his films.

I like space opera and I like cerebral sci fi

anything sci fi is good in my book, whether realistic or futuristic

I just like the cosmos senpaitachi.

What's dumb/bad about Incendies?

It's a bad Nolan film.
Sicario and Prisoners were just dumb films that Deakins shot.

>we need more cerebral sci-fi and less space opera

Why not both?

t. autism

Eat shit

fuck that book was wonderful

Propaganda has been all about SUBTEXT for decades. And here russia is even directly pointed and named, we're borderline cold war level of propaganda.

I bet you think seeing white females with male niggers together almost everywhere isn't "effective" propaganda either.
Too bad the world and its reality are there to prove you wrong.

t. VIDF.

If it ends like the book, it might be okay.

Any other comfy autumn core movies?

Get some taste

I am very grateful that there are people who consider Villeneuve a good director though. Affirms that I still have good taste.

Explain why Enemy is bad.

And then explain why Villeneauve is accountable for the Interpretations of his works. His movies do not feel pretentious to me, they operate as typical genre movies but with good execution and acting, their perhaps unwarranted high praise doesn't mean that they're bad, merely overrated.

But who am I kidding, this is either pasta or the autistic guy who says that art is mutually exclusive to enjoyment by DEFINITION

Because it's a shitty film ripping on Lost Highway with regards to identity and sexual themes, where the disjointed directing really offers nothing to the table other than surface level TWEEEEEEEEEEST HOLY SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT XDDD.

It's like the pleb's Lynch film.

Instead of acting like a retard you could've just Googled the story the movie is based on and realize that the message doesn't have much to do with aliens, the extraterrestrial or the illegal kind.

You sound like an ex capeshit faggot trying to make amends.

>Instead of acting like a retard

Waste of time senpai

Oh I see.

So you didn't get it eh?

Yeah man, and the subtext is so subtle that the aliens aren't even comparable to the mudslimes except that they're from elsewhere.

Let me know when you've substantiated that the aliens are effective analogues for rapefugees.

Is that supposed to make sense when I read the story?

what app is this?

looks great

Clover :^)

Your attitude is great reflection of this trash to be quite honest. Just an empty puzzle for plebs to solve so they can sit at table and be #SHOCKED

Meant for you.

It was just a question, but I guess you sort of answered it already in a round about way.

>being this dense
I blame more the society that raised you than you but you still have your share of responsibility in you blunder.

This planet doesn't deserve you. You don't feel at home here. You're practically a God among insects, how could you? There's only one thing left for you to do.

>aliums are nice you HAVE to treat them well
>russians are bigots acting against muh progressivism
It's not even being subtle about it for fuck's sake.

PLEASE DONT BE DUMB ACTION MOVIE

All this pro-American propaganda coming since the 90s is pretty funny considering they arm terrorist to overthrow working governments and then either insert terrorist leads (Libya) to lead the country or just leave it burning (Iraq)

Let alone all the shady shit they did in South America that makes cold war era USSR look like 'fair side' (they didn't hide behind CIAs, manufactured cartels, rebel militias etc)

And they didn't generate a drug trade in East European blocks that'd cripple an entire country.

Fuck I hate USA

sup NSA

>Alien movie
>Sup Forumstards get triggered like gay virgins on their first date
This is almost poetic.

>hard sci-fi
>high-stakes action film
/0

>replying to nut jobs

I hate Amy Adams so fucking much I probably won't even torrent it.

>countries having the balls to defend themselves
>having the balls to defend themselves from the evil refugees that come because capitalism and imperialism have made their home living hell

Go jump off a bridge, you gullible fuck.

Jesus

Legitimately correct post but of course idiots will think of this as a fucking joke.

Yes? I'm not related to that dumb fuck in any way so please do not involve me in this.

He's saying it's really a 5/10 that seems like an 8/10 because every other sci-fi movie released this year is wank

I mean he's wrong, but that's what he's saying

We'll mostly think about the sweet joys of samefagging instead, reddito.