Hollywood’s Summertime Bombs Got a Lot More Disastrous This Year

>Hollywood studios bet big on the summer of 2016, yet only a few winners emerged alongside several epic bombs.

>Because of those big-budget disasters, which cost $100 million or more each, the movie industry’s peak season is a disappointment even though ticket sales were about equal to 2015’s haul. Projections by researcher The Numbers underscore the pain felt by some studios whose films failed to live up to their high hopes, such as “Ben-Hur,” from MGM and Viacom Inc.’s Paramount Pictures, and “The BFG,” a megaflop from Steven Spielberg and Walt Disney Co.

>Of 32 summer movies released through Aug. 19 by the six major studios, 17 lost a total of $915.6 million, according to The Numbers, which looks at film costs and projects revenue for movies all the way through their release on commercial TV. Last year the studios released a total of 15 bombs with losses of $546.3 million.

>“People aren’t going to the box office as much as they used to,” Creutz said. “The only way out of this problem for Hollywood is fewer studios, and that ain’t going to happen.”
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-01/hollywood-s-summertime-bombs-got-a-lot-more-disastrous-this-year

How long until Disney finally buys up all the studios?

Hollywood should brace for China and India going up. Notice the presence of non-USA actors.

Perhaps they should stop making big budget pieces of shit.

China and India will return to pre-civilized levels of savagery within 20 years, not the best places to hedge your financial future

>How long until Disney finally buys up all the studios?
Wouldn't a better question be will most studios exist in 5 years?

They can fix this by making good movies.

Sky's boobs look great

>hollywood is 98% garbage no one wants to see
>they somehow keep their studios afloat with 2 or 3 pictures that make billions with $17 tickets

Was Spieljew right about the future of Hollywood?

>20th Univerparadisneylumbia Bros. Pictures presents.......

What would their logo even look like?

You know, as long as it involves fewer niggers onscreen it's fine by me

A dead horse with an equestrian beating the shit out of it with a riding crop.

Oh the good ol' Holywood blockbusters don't make profits meme.

Gotta love Hollywood accounting, more make believe than the movies themselves.

what makes you say that?

>a megaflop
>from Disney

NANI!?

>go to see Kubo and the Two Strings the other day for a matinee with a friend
>only two fucking people in the theater

I'm more than used to matinees being lean on people but this is the local megaplex Rave near me. Always people in there. There was nobody going to see anything. I counted like 6 others before it started. Never seen a summer like this. A shame. It was a damn good movie.

I might be picking the worst possible time to get into filmmaking.

On the bright side if the studios crumble Indie shit's gonna be back on the rise, so I can probably Kevin Smith my way into the industry and make a living on the indie circuit.

Kubo's kinda under the radar, both times I watched it I was almost completely alone.

>China and India will return to pre-civilized levels of savagery within 20 years

Two of the oldest & most enduring civilizations on the planet? I should hope not, because that would mean even worse for the rest of the world.

BFG flopped

Making good films might help.

Disney has its share of critical & commercial failures. Finding Dory was still dominating the box office when The BFG was released and the little fish slaughtered the giant.

I was surprised by how many people were at the showing of Kubo I attended. It was a noon showing on a Tuesday, and while it was a small theater, it was maybe a third full.

Tickets are too expensive. Essentially they expect the average American to pay 12 bucks(maybe 9) depending on the day. Most times people want to see multiple movies but due to ticket hikes most people would rather wait until it goes to a cheaper theatre. Consumers choose more wisely when it comes to movies now instead of seeing a handful of films a month they'll just choose a whole bunch of movies ahead of time and limit theIr movie going experience to a handful of flicks a year. Honestly dropping ticket prices a tad would definitely help.

IT WOULD JUST ALL BE DISNEY

>IF WE OWN EVERYTHING THEN WE CAN'T LOSE

ANY OF THESE MOVIES HAPPEN TO HIT? OURS!

This dream that we're going to see some kind of indie box office resurgence is a fucking pipe dream. Great movies like the stuff a24 puts out simply don't make money. People would rather watch those at home on their steaming devices, and then go pay money to see generic capeshit and starshit in the cinema. That isn't going to change.

nycfag here, tickets are outrageous and more and more theaters go for the add ons. like a ticket here is fifteen bucks, but a 3d movie (worst gimmick ever) and a recliner seats theater (comfy but only worth it if you've got a chick with you) make it 28 fucking dollars a pop.

>The only way out of this problem for Hollywood is fewer studios
Yeah because "make good movies" is clearly out of the question

This. Hollywood has a real problem on their hands. They need to lower ticket prices.

When it costs me nearly 30 dollars just to see a movie, grab some popcorn and drinks, all for me and one other person for a fucking matinee you've fucked up.

I wanted to see several films this summer but it's just too much money. I'd rather wait until it hits redbox/netflix. Save myself some fucking dosh. It's ridiculous. They're fucking theaters in the long run.

WE WON, Sup ForumsROS

What will save China is that they're banning alot of Jewish produced television. They're well aware of the fact that Jews are nation wreckers. When the US inevitably chokes on it's throbbing Jewish cock and is overrun with niggers and wetbacks you'll see China at the top of world stage.

Same though I got lazy and busy his summer....it helps a lot of what I wanted to see turned to be shit so I stayed home.

>mass media teams up toa systematically take down every non-Disney movie all Summer
>act surprised when they all bomb

Shit is bombing because studios are making things that no one wants to see (Ben Hur, Ghostbusters) while disappointing us with things we do want to see (BvS, Suicide Squad)

If they want to make money they need to stop making shit

It's 15$+ here in California and the movie isn't even in 3D. Popcorn and soda costs 10$.
Movie theaters can eat a fucking dick

The movies in rhode island tend to be like 12 bucks. A small popcorn is 8.50, med 9.7, and large is like eleven bucks. Everything's pretty much doubled since when I was a kid

However there is a sweet theaters a few towns over that has free refills for purchases over a certain threshold which is sweet.

Not to mention China studio involement like Alibaba pictures
I never thought they'd get into showbiz

Indians have Bollywood, an extremely racist system with no diversity (black people)

>everything is another reboot, sequel, or based on a pre-existing property because it's "safe"
>movies still bomb
So what's Hollywood's solution? Just stop making movies?

>The only way out of this problem for Hollywood is fewer studios

Or, maybe, better ideas?

Y'know, not remaking everything and endless sequels?

CHINA IS FUCKING GARBAGE

THEYRE ALSO THE BIGGEST SHIT EATING NO TASTE HAVING ZERO CINEMA LITERACY PLEBS ON EARTH

>civilization
>can't even poo in the loo

why not make cheaper films??

GirlBusters is a 50 million dollar idea at most

stop betting on stuff being massive hits

Maybe they can try making better movies. I would start by increasing writer pay a good bit.